Good News, Bad News: Max Payne 3 Trailer, System Reqs

By Nathan Grayson on April 23rd, 2012 at 9:05 pm.

Oh goodness, why did I decide to practice my gun-fu in this errant banana peel factory?

Normally, those of us imbued with the strange power to manipulate RPS’ frontpage into whatever form we see fit (usually PC gaming articles, but sometimes, a giraffe!) don’t go all starry-eyed over system requirements. Nowadays, all the nitty gritty bits and bobs generally add up to “Yes, it will run decently on a mid-range PC or better; no, it will not run on a toaster, abacus, or cloud that looks like a PC if you squint.” Max Payne 3, however, is kind of a special exception, seeing as it’s demanding a 35GB space on your hard drive. I’ve met MMOs that made less of a craterous impact on my hard drive. But, to take the edge off that slow-mo download, here’s a possibly even slower-mo trailer. Damn it, Max, how can I stay mad at that ruggedly handsome, perma-grimacing face?

Max Payne 3 is set to dive out of development on June 1. It’s also looking fantastic – as evidenced by new DX11-powered screens through the link above – which, I guess, makes up for that entire elephant I’ve now been forced to stop downloading. I would’ve named him – coincidentally enough – Max Payne, after the feeling I’d have experienced every time he crushed my ribs by loving too much. This had better be worth it, Rockstar.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Andy_Panthro says:

Max Payne 3, actually a massive interactive FMV game?

• Hodge says:

35BG is about the average size of a Blu-ray movie, so you may well be onto something.

• RegisteredUser says:

Just like the early days of CD-ROM games; 30 MB game, 600 MB, 1:20 ratio!

Seriously though, they are just proving how incredibly incompetent they are at creating solid database formats. Look at games like Prey, RTC:ET etc that all use .pak files that literally are zip-files.
      Loading was always fine, there is no hour long rape of the hard disk due to 40.000 single files, the compression keeps things slim and you can mod everything beautifully.

They just seem to have gone for fail within fail within..

2. SlappyBag says:

That trailer makes it look like its a drunk rolling on the floor simulator…

3. Salt says:

Huge game files, the latest anti-piracy measure?

• mouton says:

35 gigs will not stop too many people nowadays.

• Herr Dr. Face Doktor says:

Can’t wait for the cracked release that cuts it down to 9GB via magic.

• Carra says:

You also need to download that if you buy it through steam…

• equatorian says:

If it is, they’re about ten years behind the Japanese (who tends to have the most annoying DRMs ever excluding Ubisoft’s).

Didn’t work well for them.

• Max.I.Candy says:

“Huge game files, the latest anti-piracy measure”

that doesnt really make any sense.

4. Teddy Leach says:

I wonder how long a game we’ll get for our 35GB.

5. Dowr says:

35GB of memory space? What? Huh?

6. CaspianRoach says:

Wow, this trailer looks stupid. Even the previous gameplay/animation showreels looked way better, this one doesn’t show what the game is about/capable of at all.

• PoulWrist says:

It’s for TV. TVs are what people play consoles on, we can assume their intelligence is low, so too much other than slowmotion and explosions would be info overload for the mouthbreahing console peasants
      /pcmasterrace

• Snuffy the Evil says:

Am I a bad person for thinking this TV spot is actually kind of neat?

• f1x says:

You are, you must hate everything that has a big studio/publisher behind

Just kidding, I think its very much on the style of the Max Payne saga, which has always been a bit cheesy

7. MrKay says:

Right, so there goes its chances of ending on my dedicated game SSD. That’s more than the combined size of SC2, BF3 and the D3 beta…

• Vorphalack says:

If I were you, I would take D3 and SC2 off the SSD. They both load pretty fast from a budget hard drive. MP3 looks like it might actually benafit significantly from the newer hardware, especially if you want to run it at highest settings.

• Shortwave says:

Right, the thing about SC2 is.. It only loads as fast as the person with the slowest computer.. Lol.
      I realized that very quickly and simply dragged it back over to my HDD..

• V. Profane says:

I’ve found my 120Gb system disk stops me from installing too many games at once and forgetting about them.

8. MythArcana says:

The Bad News; this isn’t Max Payne. :(

• Hilden2000 says:

The good news: Opinions like your are either in the vast minority or just plain laughable.

• Kryopsis says:

Doesn’t mean he’s wrong, though.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

Doesn’t mean he’s right either. This topic has been argued to death and the crux of the complaints amount to only the most tenuous and superficial grievances like the quantity of hair on Max’s head or Sao Paulo, not even being the setting for the entirety but just the majority of the game. Remedy, who’ve seen far more of the game than anyone here and probably have a fair idea of what constitutes a Max Payne game have deemed it ‘Fucking brilliant‘.

It’s like the tiring arguments of those people who complain about that new Devil May Cry game because the protagonist has black hair and is younger than in the previous games. I’ve never even played that particular series but the outrage is so great I’ve become familiar with it via osmosis in just visiting gaming websites. And it’s just as dispiriting.

• subedii says:

Side topic, but yeah, the whole DMC angst thing was stupid. The gameplay footage they’ve shown seems pretty in keeping with the rest of the series.

The new Ninja Gaiden though? Yeah, as soon as I saw footage of that I pretty much thought “These guys have no idea about how to make cool combat like the previous games.”

• Bhazor says:

The bad news: Expressing an opinion of any kind now leads directly to an insult.

• vapsyvox says:

You got an opinion? That’s a paddlin’. You’d like to express your opinion? That’s a paddlin’. You have an emotionally nuanced perception of what the game is going to be like? Oh, you bet that’s a paddlin’.

• fish99 says:

Every time I’ve seen this game discussed the majority opinion seems to be that the game has little connection with the Max Payne we all know. Apart from having bullet time and the main characters name, I’m not seeing anything Max Payne here – where’s the noir style, where’s the gloom, the rain, New York, the comic book cut scenes, and the guy isn’t even recognizable as Max.

• Buttless Boy says:

I dunno. I think Max Payne was always at his best when he was strung out, hallucinating, and muttering hilariously melodramatic similes under his whiskey breath. This looks like a pretty strung-out Max, so that’s fine as far as I’m concerned.

The noir thing was so over-the-top it was practically parody. I’d be sad if they removed the over-the-topness, but the ridiculous pseudo-noir I won’t miss.

• liquidsoap89 says:

Max Payne 2 Max wasn’t recognizable as Max either.

• MrWolf says:

I award you 15,000,000 Internets for your comment, sir.

• soundofvictory says:

Yuuuuuuup. Which is why I don’t care about the differences between MP3 and its predecessors. I’m just really excited for this game.

• Alexander Norris says:

Please explain what makes this not Max Payne.

• gerafin says:

THE GOOD NEWS: I played around 25 minutes of the game (I know, I know, that’s not a lot), but it was – gasp- in New York City, with Max muttering his cliche noir-isms under his breath while blasting through a bar into a sidewalk and out into the streets. It pulled off the true Max feel perfectly. And I feel like if they can capture it that well in one scene, they know what they’re doing and can probably pull off the non-NYC bits as well.

• brulleks says:

I’m willing to bet that this game will follow more genre conventions of film noir than LA Noire ever did…

…AND, more importantly, it will probably have some kind of (shock) gameplay as well.

9. Drayk says:

Max, I missed you !

Rockstar, you better not screw this one !

10. Morlock says:

How can a Max Payne trailer look so style-less? Not impressed at all.

11. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Max Spayce.

12. Mordsung says:

That’s a whole 1/6th my monthly bandwidth limit.

• Snakejuice says:

I feel really sorry for you man. It should be a basic human right to not have a monthly limit and no I’m not kidding. I would feel physically ill if I had a monthly limit.

Well atleast no-one has to pay per-minute anymore (I HOPE).

• f1x says:

I remember reading somewhere, in Canada only connections avaliable are monthly usage ones

• Shadram says:

That’s 5GB over my monthly bandwidth. Stupid New Zealand with it’s stupidly low data caps… *grumbles*

• shizamon says:

Well it’s 30 GB over mine, stupid wireless internet. (Live in US, no cable/satelite/dsl available)

13. Crimsoneer says:

Never thought I’d say this, but trailer needs more wub wub. Kept waiting for it to drop the bass.

• Bhazor says:

I can’t listen to wub step with a straight face anymore. It’s gone into the “inherently funny” side of the musical spectrum alongside polkas and english folk singers who sound like angry otters.

• AlwaysRight says:

Comment deleted… Really? The man said a trailer needs more wub wub and everyone is fine with that? This is how nazi germany came about.

Come on, i didn’t even suggest we kill him, just snip bits off him.

(please don’t have me assasinated, Im only playing :-) )

14. Drake Sigar says:

Download? Haha! Bless your little heart, Nathan. I only get boxed versions.

15. saturnine says:

Pause the video at 0:09 for the Comedian.

16. wodin says:

35gig…not sure why the size of games is going up yet the content is the same or even less in hours of gameplay.

• PoulWrist says:

Higher resolution assets. There.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

It’s for all the on-disc DLC.

• Kadayi says:

Poul on the money. If a games 6-8 GB then you know that you’re going to run into repeat character models/guys in uniforms with masks on pretty much everywhere because the developers have no option but to recycle assets. A game that’s 35GB…likely they will be some repetition, but it’s not going to be as egregious. Given the next console generation is undoubtedly going to move over fully to Blu-Ray I expect we’ll see larger games become tmore and more the standard.

• jrodman says:

It’s all been downhill since the days of playtime I had with Adventure at 4096 bytes.

(snark in good humor!)

17. Asskicker says:

And 16GB recommended? Okay =(

18. Shivoa says:

I do kinda love the specs are given as a range from lowest to highest (currently available) as if, in the future, newer PCs will exist but not be compatible and so they need to cover their arses from this lawsuit in waiting.

Oh, and the range of sound hardware they support ranges from DX9 audio to DX9 audio with real-time Dolby Digital encoding (presumably the guy who wrote the specs is a fan of TOSlink optical out and realises Dolby Digital Live is an important part of that equation – I wonder what he thinks of the modern users with their HDMI input capable amps for multi-channel audio beyond the limits of the meagre ‘many analogue cables’ or even TOSlink DD output).

19. Toberoth says:

Hang on. Those surely aren’t the recommended specs. Those are basically the maximum specs. Now why the hell have they done that?

• woodsey says:

Because Rockstar seem determined to prove that they have absolutely no idea what to do with PC ports. They did much the same thing with GTA IV (“Yeah, make it a quad core! Why not?”), and that took 7 patches to kind of get it to run on the machines it was meant to.

20. Tyrone Slothrop. says:

I’m so fucking thankful I decided to preorder this retail, that installation size is immense.

21. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

CD-ROM version only requires 50 disks. A big improvement over the 24306 Floppy disks you’d have to use otherwise.

• Bhazor says:

Or the 4.78^10×17 meters of punch cards you’d need.

• JohnArr says:

I don’t understand these new-fangled systems. What’s that in old Peggles?

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Metric or Imperial Peggles?

• Milos says:

I never really cared for metric Peggles to be honest. I use the one my grandfather left me as the standard measurement unit.

22. RichardFairbrass says:

Is the 35 GB of space such a problem for people’s hard drives? Some could fit that inside their RAM. Hard Disks still seem to be pretty cheap these days. You can get a 2 TB HD for less than £80 and install 50 similarly sized games with space to spare. Admittedly the bargain basement drives you get for that price might not give the best loading speeds. I find that most games are already way too big to waste precious SSD space on though.

There might be more of a problem for those of us with slower net connections. At my current speed I wouldn’t get much change from a solid day’s worth of downloading. Not to mention the effect on bandwidth limits!

• sinister agent says:

Probably not, but the fact that something can fit in doesn’t mean that it’s a reasonable size. I could get a sofa that took up 40% of my front room, but why would I do that when I could fit three that are just as good in the same space?

• RichardFairbrass says:

I would hope that the 35 GB is the size for a reason, namely textures. Either that or loads of FMV, but I would really hope it wouldn’t be the latter in this day and age. It would be nice if they use a RAGE like system to prevent the heavy texture reuse we are pretty much conditioned to in modern games. Either that or proper support for larger PC resolutions. I haven’t come across a game yet which provides decent texture detail at 2560 x 1600. There are plenty of games that allow you to set that resolution, but you inevitably end up with a very curious mix of extremely sharp edged polygons and fuzzy textures. The incongruity of the two can make it look worse than running at a lower res.

Having had a look at the Steam hardware survey I have to revise my opinions somewhat. I thought the 40% analogy rather exaggerated, but it seems a full 25% of Steam users have less than 100 GB of free space. Very surprising.

• sinister agent says:

I was actually picking a random number with the 40% thing – it’s more that it’s the size of several other games that makes it a big deal. But yeah, now that you mention it, a year or so ago that would have been about 40% of my hard drive. It’d be a significant chunk of what I have left on this much larger drive, too.

If it’s down to huge textures (which seems likeliest, to be honest), I hope they’ll do the sensible thing and give a vastly smaller version for those of us who couldn’t care less and will never notice the difference anyway. Not that I have a problem with providing for those who do, but it seems like a win-win thing to do.

23. Deano2099 says:

So what, it’s on 4 DVDs? Or will they put it out on Blu-Ray?

24. Tom OBedlam says:

Recommended 16GB of RAM? They’re taking the piss right? Wow. I thought 8GB was safe for ages yet

• Jeremy says:

I think it was 2 – 16 GB, not just 16. Still, that’s a pretty huge range for “recommended”

• Tom OBedlam says:

Oh aye, yeah 2GB required, but usually the second number is recommended, isn’t it?

25. Unaco says:

I think it’s important to note, Rockstar haven’t said these are minimum and recommended specs (as some people seem to be thinking)… They’re the range of specifications supported, presumably from low to medium to high to Uber! or whatever. So, it’ll support 2GB of RAM down at the low end, and provide support for 16GB at the highest end.

That said, the 35GB size is pretty staggering. I’m assuming it’s due to the super Hi-res textures promised for the PC, and to provide different res textures for the whole range of systems and levels of detail/performance.

• grundus says:

I was going to say, these aren’t recommended specs at all, they’re just encompassing basically ANY PC from the last few years. I’m not too phased by the 35GB, though, as long as it doesn’t become the norm anytime soon, as I’ve still got 940GB on my spinny drive. It’ll take a whole month to download (Rage took a full week of overnight downloading) and probably take 6-10 hours to finish, but ultimately I’m not going to buy it if it sucks, so whatever.

• jrodman says:

Woop! Woop! Spelling police!
        “fazed”
        *writes ticket*

Oh what’s that, you don’t like the spelling police in this town? Fine, then. Well we’ll just go where we’re wanted.

26. CMaster says:

Rockstar are weird, why have they posted “maximum” specs on the press release? What does that help anyone understand?

27. Vagrant says:

My favorite part of the trailer is when they have to inform you that Max Payne, a game in it’s 3rd iteration, is from the creators of GTA and Red Dead Redemption.

As a PC gamer must I ask, what’s Red Dead Redemption?

• Syra says:

I don’t even know what to say to you. Let me try.

Game on multiple platforms. Trailer for all platforms of game. Shiny console box too!

• shaydeeadi says:

A game considered too good to pirate, therefore on console boxes.

28. Syra says:

Oh bollocks – I just realised I had cancelled my boxed preorder for the steam version (that gave me the old games on steam, far more convenient that finding the old boxes in the pile).

Soooo how many days before can I expect to preload this lol? It may take a few..
    Also as I will be playing diablo3 nonstop when it comes out, when exactly am I supposed to allow it to sap away my precious bandwidth?

29. yourgrandma says:

30gb of Prerender cutscenes? Other than the animations the textures and environments look rather unimpressive and looks pretty much like the bullshots released with gta 4. Hopefully that changes with pc version.

30. PearlChoco says:

I think it’s another marketing trick.

“What, 35GB??? Wow that MUST be good!”

• El_Emmental says:

35GB ? That’s a lot of pixels !

It’s a bargain for that price, run for it lads !

31. Radiant says:

1.21 gigawatts!

32. Stellar Duck says:

Reminds me of when I downloaded all 29 gigs of The Force Unleashed. What a laugh that was. Ages spent and a terrible game in the end. I guess I enjoyed the uncompressed videos though.

33. Moni says:

I’d guess the bloated size is down to animation data. I’d think it’s pretty hard to get video sizes up that high, and Rockstar have a thing for doing cutscenes in real-time.

34. sinister agent says:

Good lord, but that’s a dull, generic trailer. Take the Max Payne name off and I struggle to see why anyone would even remember it five minutes later.

For 35 Gigs, I would expect this game to cook my dinner while I’m playing.

• Grobmotoriker says:

No, You can cook your dinner while the game is installing. Not to forget to play the Double Layer DJ once in a while like in the late CD-Rom times..

35. Gorgazm says:

Too bad D3 is out May 15th, i guess i’ll hold off on getting MP3 until it goes on sale on steam for $50 or so.

36. Maldomel says:

35GB? What the hell are they thinking? And what’s up with dem requirements…

So not only It’ll take ages to download, but my computer is gonna explode when I’ll launch it. Great.

37. elliott says:

35GB and no muzzle flash :(

38. Andrigaar says:

[Looks at specs]
    Okay, so not even a 360 can run this game remotely well, or those are the optimal specs. If the former, Rockstar’s head is so far up their own ass against optimization that I’m not giving them one red cent. Or even pirating a train wreck like this. I gave them dollars for GTA4-PC; I learned my lesson.

Also, it’s time to bring up Tony Scott’s “Man on Fire” again. Did they consult him when ripping off the story, visual style, and wacky editing? I mean, I hear “Max Payne” in the trailer, but all I see is a plagiarized script for “Man on Fire”.

• skinlo says:

GTA4 was good on PC if you had a quadcore.

• Andrigaar says:

I do now, and the game still has performance issues to be honest.

• fish99 says:

Runs like a dream since I got a quad core. You should see the PS3 version when it’s night, raining and there’s lots of cops chasing you. We’re talking under 10 fps whereas my PC will still be pulling more than 20 fps in the same scenario with much higher settings/resolution.

39. theleif says:

This is where I chime in to tell you that 35GB of HD space does not necessarily mean the game will take up 35 GB of space, and it most certainly doesn’t mean you will have to download 35 GB. Most HD space requirements specs takes in account the need for having space for the installer as well. That said, Shogun 2 requires 32 GB according to the steam page, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the actual install size is close to that. Games do with very few exceptions come compressed, so you probably won’t need to download 35 GB.

• TheWhippetLord says:

Shogun 2 has to download thousands of little pixel-men through your intertube though, so you get better value in terms of warriors per megabyte. Max is only one guy, even if he is looking a bit tubby, so him using the same amount of space seems excessive.

40. dmoe says:

I think Rockstar are the only game studio with amazing taste in music. Only they would use a Health track. Which I do want and can’t wait to buy the soundtrack.

P.S. People complaining about HDD space in this day and age? Wacky.

• mondomau says:

Not space – Downloading. Not everybody had mega fast broadband speeds. Or, for that matter, unlimited data caps.

41. CelticPixel says:

I’ll delete all the personal files and family photos off my HD to make space for this game.

42. pilouuuu says:

Ooh, it’s not noir because it’s in Brazil instead of N.Y. … Max Payne is bald… It’s made by another team… They didn’t make exactly the same game again like COD franchise… 35Gb required!…

Bah! I’m just going to complain if the game is bad and there’s no chance that’s going to be the case. Well, I guess haters gonna hate no matter what. Anyways it’s simply ridiculous to complain about the size of game in this day and age when 1 and 2 Terabytes HDs are so cheap. I prefer that instead of low res, repetitive textures.

43. pkt-zer0 says:

How is 35GB large when harddrives are measured in terabytes these days?

44. DestructibleEnvironments says:

The last game I remember taking up that much space is Age of Conan, which is, you know, one of those MMOs.

Honestly, I want to know what is taking up all that space.

45. wodin says:

If he had drunk a few more pints at least two bullets would have holed his belly in that trailer…

I do like the fact he is overweight and a shadow of his former self actually. Well that sounds wrong…a bigger shadow of his former self.

46. Optimaximal says:

re: the Disk Space – it may be the ‘install’ size (where an equivalent amount of temporary disk space is needed for unpacking the install files from discs).

I guess the crux will be the number of DVDs it’s supplied on and the compression used.

47. Shortwave says:

The huge file size just sort of makes me feel as if there will likely be a lot of contact packed into this game.. Since it’s the size of larger MMO’s yet.. Is not an MMO.. Seems interesting.

Also seeing 16gb’s of ram on the suggested requirements made me grin like a gator.
    All those dinks who harp at me about how dumb I am for paying 70 dollars for a 16gb kit at 7-7-7-19 833mhz can suck it now, as more games come out that will (in theory) make use of higher amounts of ram properly.

I’m all about seeing insanely high specs on games.. Oh yes, just fine with it! : )