By The Tiny World Forgot: Memento

By Adam Smith on April 24th, 2012 at 6:30 pm.

Games with a 'remember' action are too few

I’m playing as many of the Ludum Dare games as I can before I do a full roundup of my favourites. There are more than a thousand though, which is a strong indicator of the spirit of the global indie community but a terrible thing for me because I can’t possibly play them all or I’ll wear my fingers down to nubs of bone. The theme was ‘Tiny World’, rich for invention, and I have to declare my love for one entry immediately. Memento, by Sébastien ‘deepnight’ Bénard is a beautiful miniature point and click adventure about memory. Visually, it’s like peering into the rooms of a lovingly crafted dollhouse. If you’ve seen any spectacular entries let me know in case I miss it and I’ll take a look.

« »

, , , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

1. Hoaxfish says:

Played through this, and only cheated once. That’s pretty good for an adventure game.

2. wccrawford says:

Some day, I will make a game at least half as awesome as this, and I will be so proud of myself.

Thanks for the head’s up!

3. the.celt says:

Don’t they have a place where you can download all the entries in one pack? I thought I had done this on previous events…

4. Squire says:

Niiiice little game. I don’t understand your article title though, Adam. Could you enlighten me?

5. monomer says:

The visual style in Memento is amazing. That dev also made one of my favorite games from the last ludum dare challenge, “Last Breath” (link to deepnight.net)

As for other good gems, I particularly liked “Planet 161″ (link to ludumdare.com) for its art style and solid mechanics. Audio wasn’t too shabby either.

6. CaLe says:

Thanks for reminding me how much I hate adventure games. They are the most frustrating things in the world. I dunno why I backed the Double Fine adventure.

• bill says:

Heh. Me too.
      It’s a really nicely made little game, but it suffers from all the standard flaws of adventure games. I know what i want to do, but what combination of clicks does the designer want me to use to do it? Should I use the cupboard or open it. Why is there a Close verb?

7. Dyst says:

I played this earlier. It was quite lovely.

Probably not an appropriate place to link to mine and a friends entry to LD, but regardless, here is a link to mine and a friends entry into LD: link to ludumdare.com

• BubuIIC says:

Well, in that case I’ll add ours to the list :-)
      link to ludumdare.com

We lost most of the time on the engine and spherical coordinate transformations. So a lot is missing, but it’s a game nonetheless ;-)

On to playing some games!

• rustybroomhandle says:

I’ll have a look at both these entries. :) I have one too (notquitefinishedeither) but I will wait to see if it’s appropriate to pimp them here. :P

• Dyst says:

Playing it now :D

• Chiller says:

That was a great game! I got two endings. Are there more?

8. Createx says:

Deepnight might think about bugfixing Die2Nite a bit before he writes more cutesy little games :)

• Robert says:

You are right.

That reminds me: I should not be reading this website, i could be working. As I should be, every waking moment. How dare I do something else.

• adonf says:

@Robert: I read that as a private joke. For someone to know that deepnight works on Die2Nite they surely have to be a friend or a coworker of his. Am I right?

• Createx says:

I’m not, but a quite active player of D2N. It was kind of a joke, though with a core of truth, since D2N has become almost unberably buggy. I know that it’s not deepnights fault and that he can’t be coding all the time.
        Anyway, why do professional developers code in their freetimes? Don’t they want a bit respite from work?

• deepnight says:

Right now, I’m not working anymore on D2N : I left this project to 2 other devs. And as far as I’m concerned, they do a pretty good job at managing this game :)

So I will take that a joke.

9. Keith Nemitz says:

Reminds me of Rückblende, by Nils Deneken.

“A man is confronted with his childhood memories while walking around a familiar summerhouse. The more he dwells in his memories, the more secrets he unravels.”

It was an IndieCade Finalist in 2008. Great game!

10. matthias_zarzecki says:

“Oh boy Oh boy” Had me fascinated for some time. It’s spore-ish in nature, having you rotate a planet towards sun, rain and asteroids to cultivate flora and fauna.

Then there’s My Little Planetoid (disclaimer: It’s mine. I’m plugging it), which has you build a little civilization on a small planet, creating houses, factories, and later launching satellites and rockets into space. It’s quite popular so far :)

-Matthew

• johnki says:

Oh cool. You’re one of the guys I gave a 4 overall. It had a nice, steady-paced feel to it. :)

• rustybroomhandle says:

Oh yeah, I played and rated yours!

Fine, here’s mine: link to ludumdare.com

It’s far from done, but I will make it into a complete game at my leisure. :)

11. Solbard says:

Quite liked This Precious Land myself:
    link to ludumdare.com

A sandbox world building game/puzzle with no real goal I guess, but I enjoyed tinkering with it much longer than I anticipated upon first opening it.

12. johnki says:

I really liked Save the Tiny World!: link to ludumdare.com

I also thought Capsule had a neat idea, if a bit small in scope: link to ludumdare.com

Then I thought the art was great in Eye Quest, along with having some interesting puzzles: link to ludumdare.com

EDIT: There Is a Picture was also fantastic, I thought: link to ludumdare.com

And then since others are doing it, I’ll plug my game, even though it’s a bit confusing (fortunately it comes with a howto guide). :P
    link to ludumdare.com

13. matthias_zarzecki says:

I just found “The Tiny World Of Fiorella” which is awesome. It’s not even awesome, it’s Zelda-tastic! (or was that “isaac-ular?”)
    link to ludumdare.com

-Matthew

14. Jigxor says:

This was one of my favourite games: link to ludumdare.com it’s a great little top down shoot ‘em up with a good difficulty curve. Kept me playing for a long time.

I also really enjoyed this platform game link to ludumdare.com with Alice in wonderland styled visuals.

And you can check out my entry here as well, it’s a platform shooter: link to ludumdare.com

15. Rob The Swan says:

Some cool games in there. I shall rate them all. I offer my own to the mix – a 3d voxel game with item progression and puzzles a bit like Zelda too:

link to ludumdare.com

Rob

16. tmthesaurus says:

You should totes play my game
    link to ludumdare.com

17. johnki says:

Re-posting this after it got stuck in moderation for 2 days…

I really liked Save the Tiny World!: link to ludumdare.com

There Is a Picture was also fantastic, I thought: link to ludumdare.com

link to ludumdare.com

Hmm-Hmm. says:

Wonderful little game. Thanks for giving it the limelight it surely deserved.

19. KinoftheFlames says:

Pretty cool point and click. I did a video on it: link to youtube.com