Good Snooze: Alan Wake’s American Nightmare On PC

By Craig Pearson on April 24th, 2012 at 2:30 pm.

Just pretend they're puppies, Richard
Following a lengthy beta test on the Xbox 360, Alan Wake did rather well on PC. So well that the game’s so far console-only expansion, American Nightmare, will be snort-waking and grasping for its PC teddy bear soon. I learned this in a dream, where I was running through a forest with a flashlight, looking for my PC. When I found it, in a little hollow, it was surrounded by squirrels who appeared to be worshiping it. On the screen was a video of a squirrel on a feeder, spinning around and around and around, the surrounding squirrels were all rapt. Then I was naked for some reason. When I woke, my PC was open at website DSOGaming, where they’ve discovered that the expansion had recently been added to the Tome of Games Most Foule Steam’s Registry, and it will be bringing about the Time of Blood, Screams, and LEGO coming out soon.

I wonder if there’s anymore Wakes on the way? They’ll run out of sleep puns eventually. Alan Wake’s Bedhead isn’t really terrifying, and Alan Wake’s Fatal Familial Insomnia would just be depressing.

This is usually where a trailer would go, but when they were making American Nightmare Remedy ran interview-like Developer Diaries. Who hosted it? Max Payne’s original FACE!

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. MrCrun says:

Spiders. Arse.

Anthile says:

This just proves my observation about spiders and exploding barrels.

3. soundofvictory says:

I had a great time with Alan Wake and look forward to more.

4. MichaelPalin says:

Alan Wake is Stephen King and Lost.

Yep!, that sums it all, Alan Wake is the video game franchise with the highest potential to screw its story of mystery. I enjoyed the PC version (too much combat, though), but I will just avoid any further expansion in the story until it ends and has a proper ending. Episodic storytelling is too much of a risk right now.

5. atticus says:

I want “Lego: Alan Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go.”

6. Njordsk says:

I’ve yet to play this, but it’s on my to-play list.

7. dethtoll says:

Played this on the 360 when it came out and it really is a major improvement on the original game. The combat’s more fun, the setting’s more interesting, the enemies are more varied (which the game makes note of,) Alan’s more self-aware, and the music is extra awesome. It’s very short, and you do kind of do the same thing three times (with variations — think Groundhog Day) but if you like Alan Wake this is a good inbetweener while waiting for AW2.

8. brulleks says:

Alan Waco:

No. I have a subtitle in mind but taste forbids that I make it public. It actually makes me feel a bit sick at myself.

• dethtoll says:

ooh ooh tell us tell us, it’s not like taste is actually a real concern around here

9. malkav11 says:

It’s not technically an expansion, as I understand it. It’s a small standalone game.

10. eclipse mattaru says:

I loved the first one –for the most part anyway. The atmosphere is nice and the combat is usually pretty fun (that is, when the maps don’t sabotage it), and all the Twin Peaks references made me giggle like a schoolgirl. That said, it’s littered with horrible, horrible decisions I can only assume they considered “gameplay variety” but I take the liberty of calling “an appalling amount of stupid ideas”.

Off the top of my head, there were annoying flying little things (just about the worst type of enemy in the history of gaming); half-broken vehicle sections; being chased by giant indestructible monsters without having much of a clue of what was I supposed to be doing to escape; a couple jumping sections that became almost impossible because of the sloppy, bouncy-rubber physics engine (by the way, gaming, can we get rid of the f’ing “jump” button for good already?); a monster-infested area that I had to navigate with about six bullets in my gun, no chance to even try to outrun the enemies, and the ground covered with beartraps; a completely pitch-black section where the strategy consisted of praying not to be gang raped in the dark while waiting for intermittent beams of light to come up; and some of the most horrible, annoyingly cramped maps in the history of any shooter ever.

I want to hope for the best, but the fact that they display spiders so prominently on that screenshot (the *second* worst type of enemy in the history of gaming, probably the enemy equivalent of the crate) doesn’t bode well.

I’ll still buy it and most likely enjoy it -they’ll steal my heart all over again the moment they introduce a holistic U.S. Air Force officer or a deaf FBI agent or something like that-, but they REALLY need to get their shooting act together. And to think they did it so flawlessly in Max Payne.

• KenTWOu says:

…being chased by giant indestructible monsters without having much of a clue of what was I supposed to be doing to escape; a couple jumping sections that became almost impossible because of the sloppy, bouncy-rubber physics engine…; a monster-infested area that I had to navigate with about six bullets in my gun, no chance to even try to outrun the enemies, and the ground covered with beartraps; a completely pitch-black section where the strategy consisted of praying not to be gang raped in the dark while waiting for intermittent beams of light to come up; and some of the most horrible, annoyingly cramped maps in the history of any shooter ever.

I can’t believe you really said these things! You talked about DLC level, it must be very difficult, cause it was made for absolute fans of the game. You talked about lack of bullets and indestructible monsters, cause Alan Wake is a survival game, it’s not a pure shooter. You talked about the most beautiful and the most interesting/challenging part of the game with lighthouse beam and said it was horrible decision. This is madness!

• DrGonzo says:

Have you played the game? Alan Wake is definitely not a survival horror game. It’s an action game through and through. I did enjoy it though.

• KenTWOu says:

I beat the game and DLCs on Nightmare difficulty level without HUD. it’s a little bit simplistic (HUD with GPS, health/battery regeneration, infinite pistol ammo boxes for casual crowd), but definitely a survival game.

I can’t say it’s an action, I can’t recommend Alan Wake to any action player like eclipse mattaru, cause every weapon has slow recharge rate and its magazines hold only a few rounds. Weapon management is very strong in this game and distance to enemies is very important.

DrGonzo, please note, I didn’t say Alan Wake is a horror. It’s arguable…

• eclipse mattaru says:

I would argue that Alan Wake *is* by and large a shooter –hell, the shooter parts are when the game clearly feels more comfortable and it works at its absolute best.

The sections where ammo is an issue are very rare and that’s precisely why they feel so out of place.

And my main problem is not even that, it’s all the little unnecesary dumb ideas (the birds, the vehicles, the jumping) and the maps’ bad design: I’m all for a challenging game, but having a shootout in a map so cramped that I can’t even navigate it without the camera going berzerk at every turn is not a challenge, it’s plain bad design.

The combat is all kinds of fun when you have enough room to move about; to me it never got boring and indeed in the DLC levels it got increasingly tougher and more interesting; but again, the moment that struggling with narrow hallways becomes more troublesome than any enemy, all the fun is gone.

Then again, if you can call the lighthouse beam level “beautiful” and “interesting” with a straight face, then I guess we’ve been playing two different games, so this discussion is kind of pointless. More power to you, I guess.