Lone Survivor Scares Up Steam Listing, New Ending

By Nathan Grayson on April 24th, 2012 at 9:30 am.

Oh god, look the other way! There's a hospital sneaking up right behind you!

I love Lone Survivor. It reduced me to a whimpering pile of sweat and tears – much like all the other things I’ve ever loved. It was, in my eyes, a wonderfully complete and coherent experience, so any further additions are survival-horror-friendly gravy – which probably has, like, eyeballs in it or something. Creator Jasper Byrne, however, has seen fit to make a whole slew of tweaks en route to a Steam release (currently on sale for £5.59), dubbing the final product Lone Survivor Codename: Red. Chief among them? A new “red” ending, which will apparently become even more robust in a “yellow” update planned for release later this year.

You can check out the full (and fairly massive) changelog through the link, but a couple other standouts include ten percent slower increases in hunger and a clearer path to the can opener, because god damn it, I just wanted to eat my fruit salad.

Now then, a slight problem: the update’s currently only available through Steam, and Byrne’s attempting to get free Steam keys for all previous buyers. Otherwise, well, as he puts it: “This has been my biggest concern, and please believe me when I say I’m doing eveything I can to give you an easy way of getting it.  There is no way to get round the fact that I’m pretty much going to have to email several thousand people individually.”

So here’s hoping he figures something out. In the meantime, though, I highly, highly recommend that you delve into the slightly unsettling (but mostly incredible) fogs of Adam’s lengthy interview with Byrne. It’s chock full of interesting stuff, and part two – in all its spoilerific glory – is still on the way.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Calneon says:

Is there any way to get the soundtrack for this without splashing out $50?

2. apocraphyn says:

Colour coded endings? It’s like Mass Effect 3 all over again!!1!

3. golem09 says:

Well, I guess the steam release was the last push I needed. I’m gonna try this tonight.

4. Meat Circus says:

SUCCESSFULLY FUNDED.

5. frightlever says:

So I tried Soul Brother last night and it was cute, but frustrated me quite rapidly as platformers often do.

How twitchy is this game? Can I take it at my own pace or will I be flailing at the keyboard?

6. dethtoll says:

God dammit son of a bitch I JUST BOUGHT THIS GAME after losing patience waiting for a Steam release, and now it’s on Steam. Just punch me in the balls yo.

• superflat says:

Hi dethtoll,

While this isn’t an official announcement, you should almost definitely be able to get a Steam key within a week, and the saved game can continue right on with Steam.

I’ve updated my blog with more info about this (linked to by the article.)

Don’t worry, it’s just a short delay, and Valve have agreed to give the keys I need to cover all existing customers who’d prefer to have their copy on Steam. I’m still working on a way to distribute them tidily and efficiently (partly for my own sanity), as well as providing a good non-Steam alternative. The issue of how to supply customers who would prefer to have their copy off-Steam I’m still finalising.

Thanks for your patience.

(Updated 25.4.12)

• dethtoll says:

It’s cool, I appreciate the quick, sudden reply.

• Randomer says:

If we wait a while, will versions purchased directly from you be getting future updates? Or are they going exclusively through Steam from now on? I’ve got a lot of games on my plate at the moment, so I don’t mind waiting to pick it up directly from you when the update is in. The soundtrack though, that I’ll be snapping up very soon.

• Carolina says:

Thanks for this notice, Mr. Byrne. I bought the game from your website as soon as I knew it was released, and when I noticed it on Steam yesterday I was hoping to get a Steam Key for it. I’m glad I didn’t find the time to finish it yet, because now I have a great excuse to start it from the beginning again. And don’t worry, I’m sure I speak for most of your customers when I say that I don’t mind waiting until you find the best way to deliver the Steam codes. Also, I’m glad to see your game made on the Top Sellers list; it is well deserved.

You’re a cool guy and I’ll be happy to support you in your future endeavors.

• Bhazor says:

You gave more money to the developer AND got the game DRM free. Clearly that was a terrible decision.

• G-Lord says:

Indeed. I’m still thinking about buying the game directly, as I usually don’t want DRM in my games when I can avoid it.

• dethtoll says:

Clearly my claim to have been waiting on Steam went over your head, as Steam DRM isn’t exactly an issue for me so much as convenience.

• Skabooga says:

Oh snap, if I knew Byrne was going to have to email me a steam key directly, I wouldn’t have gone and bought it direct from his website and added to his mountainous pile of emails to send. Sorry.

7. MythArcana says:

Coming up next in hourly SteamNews; learn what Gabe ate for lunch last Tuesday.

8. pilouuuu says:

Are all games going to have colour coded endings from now on? I’m waiting for games to have VGA endings then… 256 endings!

9. ZIGS says:

At least we know the game sold several thousands of copies :)

10. Toberoth says:

I bought this after reading the article – the game being on Steam was the final little push that I needed. And wow, it’s wonderful! Reminds me of all the best parts of early Silent Hill and Resident Evil games. That tense struggle to make progress, room by room, excited but also scared to see what’s around the next corner. About an hour into it, I quickly got back on the Steam store and bought copies for two of my friends, simply because I needed someone to talk to about the game.

I saw Jasper reply to a post above; if you’re reading this, I just wanted to say thanks for making such a brilliant, disturbing, inspired game :-)

Kickass soundtrack too.