You’ll Have Someone’s Guts Out: Running With Rifles

By Adam Smith on April 24th, 2012 at 12:30 pm.

Global offensive, global offensive, global offensive!

Every so often – let’s say twice a day – somebody calmly reminds me that I wrote about a game at some point in the past and have failed to revisit in order to see how things have changed. Guilty as charged. Oddly that hasn’t happened in regards to Running With Rifles, the rather excellent indie squad shooter. It has more in common with Cannon Fodder than Call of Duty, but with a two-way battle that sways back and forth, the factions attempting to defend their own bases and launch attacks against their opponents’. It looks more pleasant now, with colours other than brown so that the fields of conflict don’t resemble the forlorn stains that indecorously decorate a broken man’s bedsit. Oh yeah, and there’s multiplayer too.

First up, here’s some footage from the latest release, beta 0.63, that I missed in the first version of this post. My thanks to AshEnke for pointing that out in the grim trenches of commentland.

And then there’s this.

If that’s not a bit of two player co-op action right there then I don’t know what it is. Multiplayer is the feature everyone has been demanding but now that it’s here there’s a slight catch. The game is no longer free.

Actually, that’s not entirely true. There is still a ‘demo’ and by ‘demo’, Modulaatio (a type of awesome coffee?) mean everything that’s in the current beta except for the multiplayer. That’s certainly enough to demonstrate the joys of tiny man-shooting in an open world environment where every bullet is a potential full stop in the poetry of war.

I’ve still only played single player because I’m both cheap and preoccupied, but I’m having so much fun with that I almost don’t want to spoil it by adding other humans anyway. Running With Rifles has been a pleasure since the first time I played it and with vehicles coming soon, there’s plenty more to look forward to.

Prepurchase to unlock multiplayer and to receive all updates, including the final version. You know the drill by now. It’s €5.80 + tax.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. AshEnke says:

You should link to the brand new 0.63 gameplay trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NefB1a2EZ8o There’s less multiplayer love in it, but it’s really much more representative of the game.
    Having played it for the last few months, I really recommend this game. There are frequent and quite large updates (the next one should add the first drivable vehicle !), the developer is very open to suggestions and discussions, and although the multiplayer is empty, you can always find some people eager to playing with you on the IRC channel.

2. Belsameth says:

Ooh! I actually have this. I should revisit.
    It’s a lot of fun, tho very brutal…

JB says:

There was multiplayer before…I played it with The Innocent. Lots of fun.

I guess I’ll have to stump up the cash.

• The Innocent says:

That *was* lots of fun. They’ve polished out some of the weirder bugs. Which is good, though they were a riot at the time.

• jar jar is dead says:

Yeah….shame it isn’t free. Maybe that’s for the best though. You know how it can get when tons of people discover a fun game that’s free. Gets a little bit messy.

Hey! The innocent – love your blog. I couldn’t stop laughing at the board game box reviews. The three star system is brilliant.

• kukouri says:

Pretty reasonable price point tho, don’t you admit? Maybe if it was a € or so cheaper it would bring in a little more. I mean, what’s 5 bucks right?

4. Kerosiinipelle says:

Modulaatio means modulation in Finnish.

Anyway, I saw this game a few months ago but didn’t pay it much attention back then. Now I’m thinking about paying more than just attention.

5. wodin says:

WOW come on abit since Iast played it. Was fun then. SO I expect it’s even better now.

6. Gnoupi says:

Great game, really fun for the idea of participating into a conflict as a (almost) nobody instead of being the “super hero who will win everything alone”.

7. draknir says:

Is it just me or is this game migraine inducing BROWN? All I can see is GREY, BROWN, GREY, BROWN and miniscule splotches of green moving where there should be soldiers. The idea sounds great, and the sound design seems really spot-on, with the clattering of rifles giving the firefights a lot of life. But if they release it with these graphics I will never play it. My eyes hurt after trying to follow what was going on in those two videos.

• AshEnke says:

They tried to listen to those finding the game too monochromatic, and there has already been some improvements. The new maps are brighter and more varied, there are splashes of color here and there (some cars, some red and green parasols…)

The first map is mostly trenches, sot it’s indeed quite brown.

• Hoaxfish says:

I think it could lose a lot of its personality if they start “filling in detail” with colour to break up the visuals. Not sure how they’ll manage to do that without losing the “drab landscape” thing they’ve got going on.

• bill says:

The high res full screen videos are more understandable than the embedded youtube ones.

The color thing, for me, isn’t the levels… it’s the soldiers. They need to stand out more against the level.

8. Kollega says:

I like how the city is realized in the upper video. I just like it, somehow. Maybe it’s because the buildings look vaguely Soviet, and thus familiar.

oWn4g3 says:

Are the enemies always visible or do you need some line of sight at least in multiplayer?

Looking pretty cool, like a “light” Version of Men of War (in a positive way without all the micromanagement fiddling)

Hodge says:

Keen to see how this one’s developing. I gave it a go the last time it got a mention here and while it was really rough around the edges I could see good things coming out of it.

11. JackMayol says:

Hi guys :)
    Glad you enjoy the game, the community is starting to grow slowly but surely! :)
    To clarify some thing: The demo is a pretty OBSOLETE version of the actual beta, it just gives you an idea about what all this game is about.
    Prepurchase doesn’t “unlock” multiplayer, it just gives you the latest beta build till the final release with all the versions coming in the future.
    The fog in the demo is too high and brightness too low… The weapons have been revised since then, a few new weapons have been implemented, 2 new maps, a new capture system and a bunch of other stuff are in the beta. You can see it in the video I made, should look pretty much different than the 0.4 demo video :)
    And last but not least it can be played in multiplayer!
    About the vehicles, not sure if the first vehicle (a jeep) will be implemented in the next version since we may focus on a very polished multiplayer gaming experience first.
    But since a new version is expected every 1-2 weeks, it may not take longer than 2-3 week anyway! But who knows, maybe even in the next version ;)
    Jack

PS: @Kollega haha I agree with the soviet buildings look-alike :D

• Baines says:

Has a second demo ever been considered? Not a current version, but at least less outdated than 0.4?

• JackMayol says:

it has been considered, a few days ago. We aren’t sure about how to do it yet but it will be done. It will most likely be a pure multiplayer demo with some restrictions.

12. squareking says:

Video #2 has some awesome percussion going on.

13. Kektain says:

I remember having quite a bit of fun with this in prior versions. But the new one seems to either crash after a minute or two of play (for reasons I couldn’t seem to isolate) when in windowed mode, or force a hard blue-screening shutdown when played in fullscreen after the same kinda-a-minute. The forums appeared to be mum about it.

Here’s hoping they iron it out, I really enjoyed this and would love to try out the new city fighting.

• JackMayol says:

hi Kektain, did you manage to fix your issue? Are your drivers up-to-date ? Didn’t hear about such a problem so far, which seems not to be related to the game itself.
      Better post your problem on the official forum, there it will be easier to investigate.
      Thank you.

• Kektain says:

They’re reasonably up to date (GeForce 295.73 vs 296.1), but I’ll take a look. Thanks.