Arkham Horror: Harley Quinn’s Revenge DLC TBC On PC

By Nathan Grayson on April 25th, 2012 at 8:23 am.

She is, of course, referring to Birthday Man, who never brought Joker his pony.
Revenge is a dish best served cold – or at least lukewarm, in this case. On the upside, Batman: Arkham City’s story-concluding DLC-based chapter is en route to PC, Warner told Eurogamer. That, however, is where things take an almost amusingly convoluted turn into asylum-worthy madness. So, first off, the PC version of Arkham City: Game of the Year Edition – to which the DLC’s launch is tethered – has no release date beyond “TBC.” The console versions, meanwhile, appear to have had their releases scheduled by Warner’s executive VP of wearing a blindfold and throwing darts at things. In the US? May 29. Fair enough. Everywhere else, though? September 7 – just in time to get totally buried in the holiday game avalanche. If the PC version follows release tradition, that could see it swinging in to save the day well after the nick of time in October. Catch an incredibly brief glimpse of the DLC in action after the break.

So that’s fun. Apparently, ”each of the territories determined the best time to release Batman: Arkham City Game of the Year Edition” and “the territories outside of North America felt that September was best.” I haven’t the foggiest idea as to why – especially seeing as that’ll be long after Dark Knight Rises revives Batmania the world over. Batman himself has a brilliant brains-and-brawn backup plan for every conceivable situation. I get the feeling, however, that we can scratch Warner Bros off the list of “who’s really under Batman’s mask” suspects.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. kud13 says:

That’s a seriously messed up release schedule.

“Internet oceans” just got battier

• RaveTurned says:

It’d be interesting to find out whether those release dates were the developer’s or publisher’s decision (suspect the latter), and what the justification for it is. In the digital age there’s really no excuse not to have simultaneous releases worldwide.

• jushuaya says:

Hot!Jpad flytouch3 superpad 10.2″Tablet PC Infotm X210 Android2.2 3G* GPS HDMI RJ45 512M 1GHz 4GB

• Gundato says:

I agree with digital, but seeing as how this is primarily a console game, digital is not the primary choice.

I vaguely recall an article Wardell (Frogboy of Stardock) wrote while acknowledging the cock-up that was Elemental. When you are trying to get retail shelf space, there are basically “slots” as it were. And that gets even more complicated if you want those cardboard things I assume (do video game stores have those? I know bookstores did as of a few years ago).

So it is possible that many european stores don’t have an available/affordable slot in May/June?

Similarly, I am actually VERY surprised we are getting this before July. If anything, I would have tried to hold them all until a week before Dark Knight Rises and treat Arkham City GOTYE as a tie-in game.

Ah well, I have a PS3 and already have the game, so I am just waiting for the DLC.

• DrGonzo says:

I have the game on PC, would be tempted by the DLC. But by the time September comes the game will be long since uninstalled and they will have missed out on my cash.

2. wodin says:

Not sure why but this Batman game didn’t really do it for me like AA did. Seemed very short aswell as you felt pushed along the main quest at a rapid rate.

• Metonymy says:

Asylum demonstrated that metroid games were still pretty incredible and could be still be improved. In the case of AA, the improvements were the superior control method, and a decent combat system. Unfortunately, the item interaction with the world was very weak, but this was due largely to the non-fantasy world, and the stealth mission needed a lot more work.

The sequel made no effort at all to fix the weaknesses of the first game, and added things that no one desired: respawning fights with no purpose, building hopping, and an ever-more ridiculous plot.

The correct way to improve AA was to increase gadgets, make their interaction with the world more numerous and less obvious, and make progression less linear, and discard at least 80% of the cutscenes and talking.

• Kdansky says:

Have a dozen cookies, because you got it right!

• Carr0t says:

*in your opinion.

Personally, I play games like Batman for the story as much as for the gameplay. The level of, say, Metal Gear Solid 2, was way over the top, but I thought Arkham City pretty much nailed it. I thought the world was open enough to feel less linear than the first game, while still giving you a solid sense of progression. I also generally don’t like having to remember about and make use of hundreds of gadgets. Just improve the core combat. They did exactly that by allowing stuff like countering up to 3 enemies at a time instead of just 1 and adding stuff like the free flow if you just kept upping your combo instead of using special abilities.

• DickSocrates says:

The plot was great until the Freeze fight, then it VERY noticeably fell apart. And the sheer number of anti-climatic boss battles (or gob smacking lack there of) honestly ruined the game for me.

My overall feeling when I think of AA is, ‘wowm that was great.’ For AC it’s ‘yeah, some of it was ok, but I’m mainly disappointed.’ Very poor sequel that didn’t know what kind of game it wanted to be and ended up being an open world with nothing in it.

And since when did Batman regularly use ice bombs? It was just silly and a sign of their design desperation, they didn’t know what to do next.

• CaspianRoach says:

Building hopping as a bad thing? Are you mad? That was an amazing feature that I loved to bits. I hated the Asylum because it was all confined spaces and there was no room for Batman to really show what he’s all about and we got it in Arkham City.

I don’t think increasing the number of gadgets would help all that much, there’s already a truckload of them and I end up ignoring half of them in combat because I don’t need them.

And discard cutscenes? If you want to play an oldschool platformer why don’t you just go and do it, I found the story and scenes quite nice and I hate the comics and the Batman universe. Arkham City made me want to play it when I was bored in an hour with Arkham Asylum.

• Ridnarhtim says:

Maybe initially, but by the end of the game, I was just so fed up with flying back and forth around the city looking for trophies and side missions. All the Victor Zsasz phonecalls, Riddler challenges, acts of violence, searching for the ‘Silent Watcher’… I got bored of flying around the city about 4 hours before I actually finished the game.

• arccos says:

I don’t really understand. Are you saying there was too much optional side content, or that you felt compelled to complete it and were unhappy while doing so?

I thought the optional content was some of the best parts of AC. It allowed you to take on a challenge in a way generally that was less limiting than the main plot.

• DrGonzo says:

Less cutscenes would be great. That doesn’t mean less story or dialogue, just less lazy storytelling. I want all that told to me in game, with out taking control away from me.

As for the confined spaces in the Asylum. That was the point, you are Batman, Arkham City was too easy and the combat got dull very quickly because you had such a big advantage over everyone, what with you being Batman. It was better when you were confined, it was claustrophic and Batman was somewhat out of his element.

While I enjoyed AC, I can’t remember half of it, and had it been the first game in the series it would have been quickly forgotten imo. It used Joker very poorly, should have had more Scarecrow, Penguin was just shite with an embarrassing voice over and the rest of the main characters I’ve forgotton already because they were instantly forgettable. I guess that Arkham Asylum felt like a fresh take on Batman, City did not.

• Tuco says:

I loved both games, but everytime some hipster gamer tries to convince me that the first one was way more trendy, at some point I think about the fight with Mr Freezer and then I say “Fuck the haters, Arkham City was A BLAST”.

• Ridnarhtim says:

I just found it not nearly as atmospheric. I don’t know if it was the more open nature, or the constantly switching villains, or just the fact that it was less scary overall and lacked the Scarecrow levels, but AA really pulled me in and stunned me. AC was … okay.

• wodin says:

I just felt press ganged along a fast rate through the main quest. I once answered a phone when I wa son the way to a main quest only to be told I had so many seconds to rush across the city, yet I was also on a desperate (apparently) mission.

I felt like I was pushed as fast as possible to the end. I don’t mind open world but I still need some idea of roughly what I should be doing and when, being bombarded with cries for help left right and centre at the same time as doing a main quest felt confusing.

3. Stevostin says:

The real release date is with all DLCs at a steam sale anyway. Not paying anything above 50% for this.

• Reynoldio says:

You’re so right, I mean if it’s going to be £4 there’s no way I’d pay £2.50, but if it’s going to be £12 I’ll definitely pay £6.

4. f1x says:

I’ve heard the new cover for the game of the year edition is a referent of good design, and possibly extreme branding (360 version at least)

5. CaspianRoach says:

I would be cautious of territories that can voice an opinion. After all, they’re supposed to be just a piece of land.

And why is Catwoman presented as DLC? Wasn’t she shipped with all the versions of the game?

6. skyturnedred says:

I’m still pissed that after completing the game about 85% through my save file got corrupted (on the Xbox). Replaying some of the not-so-great bits is a bit tedious, but luckily enough there’s more than enough good bits to make up for them.

• Ridnarhtim says:

Yeah, that happened to me at about 75%. Luckily, the things I hadn’t done yet were the particularly tedious bits (Riddler Trophies and Predator Challenges), so I just had to replay the mostly fun ones.

7. elfbarf says:

It’s almost as if they want us to wait a few months before buying the game.

First, they delay the PC version. Even with that delay, the fancy DX11 features (which they made a big deal about) were completely broken. At this point we already had DLC released on the console versions which were released almost immediately after the PC version’s release. Add in a ton of additional DLC (including one that’s apparently very important to the core story) and a GOTY edition within a year of the game releasing and I’m perfectly fine with waiting.

8. Cunthulu says:

It’s official! Valve is working on a native linux Steam client as well as native Source engine based game binaries.

9. The Sombrero Kid says:

This is the Post of the year edition of this post.

• Lars Westergren says:

I forgot to preorder your post, so I missed out on your site-specific bonus joke. Darn.

• The Sombrero Kid says:

You’ll probably be able to get it on the internet for free or alternatively you can wait 4 months to buy it, although I wouldn’t bother if i was you because it just draws out a subtle well structured joke with inelegant and badly produced waffling, also it comes with a new word.

Patch log: the new word dlc didn’t unlock for “some” legitimate users, the new word is “Achievement”

10. Thunderbeak says:

I hesitate to cry out “NOOO! I want this game complete and fo’ cheap noww!” but those executives should really work on their blindfolded dart skills, I mean really.

11. Innovacious says:

First I’ve heard of this Harley DLC. Is it just me or does anyone else think its not needed? I feel the main story thread ended at the right point, i got closure. I can only imagine trying to carry on directly from it will ruin that feeling. I cant imagine what they could do to get it to work.

12. alphager says:

It’s like they *want* Europe to turn to less-than-legal ways of acquiring the DLC.

13. Jackablade says:

Given the easter egg for the observant player regarding Harley that appeared in Arkham City, I’m not sure I really want to go toe-to-toe with her, really. Hell, the moralisers already got up in arms about AC’s perceived misogyny. This could push them into torch and pitchfork territory.

14. V. Profane says:

Bullshit like this is why I haven’t paid penny 1 for Arkham City despite owning and enjoying the first game.

15. Squire says:

That’s it, I’m moving to the East coast of america, Florida maybe, and every time a PC game releases later [Than the US] in the UK I will buy 10000 US copies of each game on release and send them in motorized boats across the sea….to Dover/Newcastle/Largs.

They will still arrive before the game comes out here.

16. avp77 says:

I’m pretty surprised – I realize it’s a title they don’t need to ask anyone to use, but I didn’t think this was even close to ‘Game of the Year’ for most people.

Not only does it include the DLC, but the special ‘destroy all your savegames halfway through’ GFWL that I loved so much in AA.

17. TheTingler says:

You could’ve done one better with that title Nathan:

“Batman AC DLC TBC on PC”

18. stahlwerk says:

“the territories outside of North America felt that September was best.”

What, I don’t even know anymore…

19. kud13 says:

AC was certainly one of the better games I played last year, despite GaFWL. the fact that I bought it for 50% off at the Steam Sale mere weeks after it came out made it all the more tolerable.

This seems like a no-brainer Summer sale purchase.

Comment on this story