I Saw I Saw Her Standing There

By John Walker on April 25th, 2012 at 5:30 pm.

She is HOT.

I wonder whether I’d like I Saw Her Standing There more if I’d played it a few years ago. I worry that the sparse puzzle platform game with the bittersweet story has had its turn, and there needs to be more substance, or something new. Although I’ve a feeling it might also come down to ISHST falling short on the puzzle side of things. And yet, despite that, I still want to point you toward it, because dammit – it’s cute. You’re a stickman, and you’re in love with a zombie. The aim is to get her into a cage to stop her from killing you. Lovingly.

, , .

1. CMaster says:

Played this a few days ago. Thought I should send RPS a tip about it, but forgot. It’s sweet and short, I’d recommend people give it a shot.

2. faillord_adam says:

For some reason, the title reminded me of that episode of Stargate Universe when everyone started having hallucinations.

3. InternetBatman says:

I hate the ending of it. I hate when developers give you no choice to force you to do something you don’t want to do.

4. Tim James says:

“I worry that the sparse puzzle platform game with the bittersweet story has had its turn, and there needs to be more substance, or something new.”

I felt the same way when I finally got around to playing Limbo the other day. I was struck by how little impact it had on me, despite enjoying it for the most part. I’ve already completely forgotten about it. That never would’ve happened 2 years ago.

daphne says:

You worry? I’m glad. In fact, I’d replace “puzzle platform” with “indie”. The perceived halo of significance around these sorts of games, riding the wave of some sort of dubious “indie” quality, always did seem questionable to me.

• Pattom says:

Honestly, I thought this was a parody of exactly that type of game because of its ridiculous premise. Take a zombie shooter, the antithesis to the indie art game, and then present it using the minimalist narrative that genre is known for. I mean, the narrator is trying to convince himself that this one zombie is in love with him, so he’s trying to keep that one zombie alive while gunning down every other zombie in the room. If that wasn’t the intent, it still managed to make me laugh myself hoarse while playing it.

• Bhazor says:

^ Finally!

To everyone else this is a blatant parody of the po faced faux philosophical man jump games.

• bill says:

I have a cunning plan for all the people who hate these arty indie games. Don’t read a blog that spends the majority of it’s time posting about arty indie games. Read a blog that posts about only mainstream games. There are only a few billion such blogs.

6. westyfield says:

Hello, are you me two years ago?

7. Ricc says:

It’s a nice idea, but I got the expression, that the developer didn’t explore the mechanics / setting relationship as far as he could. I understand why my bullets can’t hit the girl or why the cage only traps her and none of the other zombies, but they should have accounted for that as well… Accidentally shooting her would have been an alternate ending that actually would make sense in the fiction.

• Skabooga says:

When I got the gun, the first thing I tried was shooting her. Just to see.

8. bhlaab says:

twee indie game about love… with zombies!!! lol

9. Necroqubus says:

Necrophilia at its best ! I approve !

LTK says:

I went and played it without reading the blurb first, and was glad of it.

phlebas says:

Staring ‘i’s tag?

12. povu says:

That’s 10 minutes of my life I’ll never get back.

And I don’t need to, because they were very nice.

13. essentialatom says:

Anyone else having a problem where at the start of each level they don’t have any control over the character for several seconds? Sometimes upwards of a minute. No idea why. This is happening in both Firefox and Chrome…

14. Kretan says:

This game pretty much directly copies another older flash game that was about love between a boy and a girl, not a boy and a zombie girl. Does anyone remember what that game was called? I really want to play it now, it was much better in my opinion.

15. KinoftheFlames says: