Indie Horror Home Comes Home In June

By Nathan Grayson on April 25th, 2012 at 9:30 am.

'Zoinks, Scoob!' He shouted. But Scoob had been dead for 27 years.
I’ll admit to not having heard of 2D night terror Home until the recent release date announcement, but it’s nevertheless got the cockles of my skittish heart abuzz with fascination. Between paradoxically dingy and vibrant pixel art and an apparent focus on exploration, there’s a bit of a Lone-Survivor-ish vibe to it. Those comparisons, however, don’t seem to go far beyond chilled bones and sweat-drenched skin. Home describes itself as a player-driven murder mystery with a room that “changes – subtly, almost imperceptibly – to reflect your perspective. It’s a horror game unlike any other, and as you’ll discover, its truths are entirely subjective.” Which sounds creepy, kooky, mysterious, and spooky. Also, just cryptic enough to leave me wanting more. Come inside, make yourself comfortable, and let a trailer devour your soul after the break. Or maybe intrigue you at bit, at least.

Home’s launching on June 1, and there’s a lavish pre-order package that includes a town map, “exclusive game universe artefacts,” and a real, live instruction manual if that strikes your fancy. Also interesting: a Twitter account from the perspective of Home’s main character, which I’m guessing will slowly build to the game’s opening. Clearly, a lot of care has gone into the making of this story, so consider my curiosity tentatively piqued. Also, the regular, non-special edition of the game will do little more than lightly tickle your piggy bank at £1.34. So this is probably one to keep an eye on.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. suibriel says:

Vibe? It IS Lone Survivor.

2. Kdansky says:

If my torch only illuminated a sphere about as big as myself, I’d be scared as hell too.

3. jushuaya says:

Hot!Jpad flytouch3 superpad 10.2″Tablet PC Infotm X210 Android2.2 3G* GPS HDMI RJ45 512M 1GHz 4GB

4. Fanbuoy says:

But… that’s pretty much the trailer for the game I’m working on. God dammit. Well, hopefully the similarities won’t go far beyond the trailer. Will keep an eye on this.

• Gnoupi says:

Any link, info, screenshots on the current state?

• Fanbuoy says:

No, I just started designing it a couple of weeks ago. And to be honest, I’m really just doing it for fun as I have no prior experience. I’ll probably release my game as freeware somewhere down the road. I just had this idea a while ago and started writing things down. So I’m actually more baffled than aggrevated about this. Besides, it’s a bit early to judge how big the similarities are, since the amount of information in there isn’t huge.

• Fanbuoy says:

Oh, and if you switch “wife” for “fiancée”, pretty much all text presented fits for my game..

5. MadTinkerer says:

Interesting. So it’s Choose Your Own Bad Ending, basically.

6. DrScuttles says:

£1.61 with VAT, not £1.34.

And I could have bought a Chomp with that 27p.

• SiHy_ says:

Damn, I remember when 27p could have bought you 2.7 Chomps. Times is changin’ man! Ain’t no one selling seven tenths of a Chomp no more.

• DrScuttles says:

Ah, the days of buying a quarter of Millions and seven tenths of a Chomp.

(I must confess to not actually being certain of the pricing of Chomps these days. 15p? 20p?)

7. jonfitt says:

Aw, Chomps are not 10p anymore? We used to call them 10pchomps. Are penny sweets now 5p?

Comment on this story