Maximum Graphics: Crysis 3 To Support DX11

By Nathan Grayson on April 25th, 2012 at 12:30 pm.

Don't nock it until you've tried it.
It was the night before Crysis 2′s launch, and all through Crytek, not a creature was stirring – not even a fry… tech. But then, in the midst of laying down for the extended cryogenic sleep that traditionally follows Crytek’s development crunches, one developer bolted upright. “Everyone,” he turned and said to the others, nestled in their infernal healing contraptions, “I feel like something’s missing.” Then his eyes bloodshot eyes went wide with horror. “We… we forgot the graphics.” And so it was that Crysis 2 shipped with no DirectX 11 support and only a few preset graphics options. In time, however, Crytek sent PC gamers an apology basket filled with magical pixels, and all was (mostly) well. And happily, with Crysis 3, the developer plans to include more graphics than ever before.

Director of creative development Rasmus Hojengaard explained to Joystiq:

“I don’t know if we’ve announced that yet, but obviously we’re going to have DirectX 11 support since we already did it [for Crysis 2]. We basically started from a Crysis 2 DX11 patch, as starting point, and then we developed our technology from there on. We’d be pretty stupid not to capitalize on the technology we did for that and utilizing that from the get-go.”

Community manager Tom Ebsworth went on to confirm the news via Twitter and even retweeted himself, presumably to show how much he meant it. That said, Crysis 3 will also continue in the series’ tradition (since Warhead, anyway) of scaling down to lower-end machines without having geologists show up at your home to investigate suspected volcanic activity.

We, too, have seen the game and will tell you more soon. In the meantime, know that it’s another Crysis game, the bow looks wicked fun, and there are frogs. And truly, what is DirectX 11 good for if not rendering tiny hopping swamp creatures? So thank goodness for that.

, , , .

1. HisMastersVoice says:

“We’d be pretty stupid not to capitalize on the technology we did for that and utilizing that from the get-go.”

Please, stop hitting yourself.

felisc says:

I’m picturing him saying this with a “i’m with stupid” shirt with the finger pointing towards his head.

• arrjayjee says:

It’s like he doesn’t even know that his previous game completely ignored all the DX10 stuff Crysis 1 had when making Crysis 2 a DX9 game. Sometimes it’s hard to tell if these “public faces” really are stupid or just very good at touting a company line.

2. Jamesworkshop says:

I’m hope most “will it have Dx11″

question were facetious, since it was obviously an issue from the engine not having support for Dx11 by release date of crysis 2, which clearly now is not a problem with both crysis 2 the game and the free SDK both containing Dx11 code paths.

It would be like thinking guns were useless because you hadn’t noticed things had moved on a bit from the musket.

• Optimaximal says:

The engine did ‘support’ it because it’s a fork of CryEngine 1, which had DX10. DX11 is a superset of that API so it was just a case of changing some settings.

The problem was they focussed on DX9 for consoles and didn’t have time to get it working properly.

3. Njordsk says:

That doesn’t make a good game sadly.

4. kzrkp says:

Somebody reminded me of this earlier. This is what Crysis 3 should be. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y5KiJt9oxg
    Not a series of hallways. A big area full of enemies that you fork up in the most amazing way possible.

• subedii says:

Haha, when I’m not trying to be stealthy about things, that’s actually pretty similar to how I like to play. Only without the cloak-spam, and more shotgun. :)

EDIT: And probably a LOT more smoke grenades. Those are awesome when you’re surrounded.

It also brings home one of the things I always loved about Crysis, in that other FPS’s pretend to be action movies with all their linear set-piece action, but Crysis at its best was a game where you directed your own action movie set pieces. And it feels all the more awesome because you’re the one coming up with these make-shift, long term plans, and even split-second improvisations.

Whether the plan comes together or falls apart completely (and sometimes that leads to the best bits as well, when you’ve just got to throw everything out the window and do something nutty RIGHT now if you’re going to survive), the fact that you’re the one doing it makes it feel far more involving than 100 linear scripted set-pieces.

EDIT 2: You know, I’ve heard a lot of comments over the years about how Crysis was a “tech demo” and how it had boring gameplay, and I just think everyone of those guys should watch this video. Crysis is a game that has a tonne of awesome ingredients, but if you PLAY it like a dull generic FPS, that’s exactly what you’re going to get.

Unlike most other FPS’s, you’ll only really get out of it what you put into it. It’s not scripted, it’s not going to constantly yell at you “Ramirez! Go mount that machinegun!”. They give you a whole toolbox of awesome to make use of, and the game comes alive more than almost any other FPS when you do.

• Jamesworkshop says:

Actually in a way I found crysis having too much stuff even after multiple play throughs I often forget the grenade launcher attachment and personally I never found much use for smoke and flash-bangs when I can just go invisible, I could put a 10 x zoom sniper scope on a shotgun but why would I want to.

In fact I even found the sniper rifle itself fairly useless when the FY71/SCAR can take a silencer, single shot, sniper scope and do the same job with the added bonuses of 10x ammo capacity with more sources of ammo in the game world consistently, along with the tranq dart and underslung grenade launcher attachments.
        Even the FY71 and SCAR were basically the same weapon, with the FY71 only taking the lead due to ammo supply.

I’d love the next crysis to have a larger scope as I felt that the weapons really had been changed for the better in Crysis 2, they all felt like they had a more defined role, the various mobility stats was a good addition, the options in crysis often made a lot of things feel quite samey.

• gritz says:

I want this, but with more destructible environments. Those claymores should be wrecking shit.

I don’t need the shadows on my cannon-fodder’s two day stubble to be hyper realistic- I want the technology to actually make a difference in the game.

5. Goomich says:

“We basically started from a Crysis 2 DX11 patch, as starting point,”

Oh God…

6. DeanLearner says:

Oh boy, I love graphics! Maybe it’s just me, but it feels like games haven’t had as many graphics these days. I literally have a card in my PC that’s only job is to help graph the ics so it goes without saying, I want to use 100% graphics.

• Jamesworkshop says:

Let’s just hope there’s not a joker in the pack, and sometimes there is

• DeanLearner says:

Cool it James or you’ll get a knuckle supper!

• Jamesworkshop says:

I only got into the nanosuit program for the laughs, that and the kitty, and that dried up ten year ago, if you pardon the expression

RaveTurned says:

Did they give a ballpark figure for the number of graphics the game will ship with? Is there any indication they might add more at a later date, say as downloadable content?

• DeanLearner says:

Unfortunately as you touched upon, games are having a tendency to ship additional graphics as DLC nowadays, but as far as I can tell, this game as a considerable amount of graphics. I saw a leaked photo of them weighing graphics and while it was blurry I think the display said 3 pounds 8oz of graphics.

• RakeShark says:

But I just got some graphics! What am I supposed to do with those since these graphics are coming soon?

• DeanLearner says:

I’ve been there RakeShark! Have you looked at them yet? You’re allowed to return graphics if you’ve not looked at them yet. I am of course assuming you’ve bought these graphics out right and are not under a pay monthly contract?

If you are paying monthly for these graphics I am afraid there isn’t too much you can do unless you’re due an upgrade soon? Call them, threaten to cancel and then ask for “all the graphics!” you might get lucky.

I hope that helps.

kindest Regards
        Dean Learner
        Graphics

7. tenac says:

+1 for Archery joke!

8. runbmp says:

Played the original crysis 1 to no end. Crysis 2 however, I got bored real quick until I realized it was just another generic blockbuster game.

With so many games out I ended up playing something else. From that interview, I think i’ll pass up on Crysis 3.

9. wuwul says:

Good, hopefully they’ll get back to their core business of making high-end GPU demos, rather than console games.

10. Alistair says:

You’ve seen some gameplay, Mr RPS? Looking forward to your comments. Big fan of the series.

11. Bork Titflopsen says:

It seems like no one at Crytek has ever held a bow before. There is no way you can properly pull the string all the way back like that nor aim accurately.

Seriously, I’ve had archery lessons for three weeks which, according to the internet, makes me an expert on the matter.

Not even with the highest of tech should you ever hold a bow at the bendy part.

• Brun says:

He’s not, the grip is just below the centerline of the bow. Look at the top half of the bow – the part that actually “bends” is relatively small compared to the length of the entire bow. But that’s okay – it’s a compound bow so it doesn’t rely on the entire bow flexing to work.

12. phenom_x8 says:

Their DX 11 patch was trully inefficient when it was first released, it’s slowing down my machine without any noticeable graphical impact from their DX9 counterpart (the high res textures also didnt help much either I think) at least when compared with another DX10/11 title on the get go like the 1st CRYSIS, Battlefield 3 or Just Cause 2 (I never believed how smooth most of them on my average rig even when under heavy load on screen ). Maybe its due to they create their base engine with DX9 and not fully build their engine bases with DX11 just like the case with Batman Arkham City DX 11 mode.

• TheManko says:

Maybe you didn’t know what to look for because I found the upgrade to be significant. Without it the game always had rough spots all over the place typical of console ports. After the patch they were pretty much all gone and it was all dazzlingly beautiful instead. I saw the effects of the patch everywhere clear as day.

• Shortwave says:

Ditto Manko. Though some of the water made my system chug a bit.
        Though oddly enough I came back a few months later to play it again and it seemed A LOT smoother even. Not too sure why exactly since there was no updates. Maybe just newer drivers could contribute to that, really not too positive.

13. Freud says:

I used to care about Crysis, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

14. Oof says:

“eyes bloodshot eyes”

?

15. DrGonzo says:

‘Since Warhead’? What does that even mean? My flatmate played the first Crysis on a single core Athlon with an X800 and it ran absolutely fine. Crysis was really well optimised ( in that you could run it at 60fps solid on really, really old tech at the time) , it wasn’t their fault people insisted on having the graphics up too high.

• Shortwave says:

This.. I started playing Mech Warrior Living Legends on a low-budget PC I built like 4 years ago.
      And even then I was playing it on high with 40+ fps.. I built that computer with money I made from busking with my guitar.. Haha. Good times.

16. Shortwave says:

If you are out there listening Crytech, ha.. Unlike a few people out there I really loved Crysis 2.
    I enjoyed the single player that is, a lot actually. But you totally ruined the multiplayer experience.
    How? With DLC. And to top it off, you’re DLC isn’t even available to everyone unless they use Origin since you pulled it from Steam. And that was just shitty. Not only that but you forced people who wanted to use the Mod SDK to use the Origin copy. I don’t honestly care that it took a while to get DX11 out because I thought that game was breath-taking regardless. If you’re previous DX11 character tessellation is any indication on how you’ve optimized and improved on it since then I can tell gamers are really in for a treat, the new scenery seems like it will compliment the game much more than the previous also. So I’m really looking forward to that.. But you know… You’re DLC and only origin is going to destroy the multiplayer for PC gamers again. I’m still likely going to buy it. But I will never buy DLC for it. I only pay for a game once.

Hmm, I just wanted to add something.
    For any Crysis Wars owner out there..
    Of course you should try Mech Warrior Living Legends.
    BUT, take a look at Casus Bellis. A “BF” like mod for Wars.
    The level of quality in the maps is astounding. It’s new and needs more players. So please give it a try. You will be amazed at what these guys have done with the game.
    I wouldn’t usually whore this, but I don’t see these guys getting the recognition they deserve anywhere yet. It’s really a great accomplishment what these modders have done.

17. jwoozy says:

A brief list of videogames in which tessellation noticeably improved visual quality at a reasonable performance overhead:

• Shortwave says:

Aliens VS Predator, Dirt 2 / 3, Crysis 2. Metro 2011… Hmm.
      Deus Ex: Human Revolution, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat as well.
      Cryengine 3 / Unreal SDK both have full support for it.
      Does Dragon Age II support it? I thought so for some reason. Never played it.
      I do believe there is limited tesselation being use in Battlefield 3 on ground objects such as rocks.
      Oh and Batman Arkham City! Off the top of my head.

In the near future you can look forward to.
      Dirt Showdown, Crysis 3 here as we know.
      Arma III most likely? Not sure..
      Medal Of Honor very likely..
      Max Payne 3 which is going to be mind blowing likely.
      And I think Nexuiz might have it.. But I’m totally unsure.
      I just know it makes computers crawl if they leave Object detail above medium. Ha.

But yea, I realize you said “noticeably” bit you know, that’s all subjective.
      I’ve got a sharp eye for detail and I can usually always tell right away.
      I do quite appreciate it. But you know it’s better they take their time introducing this anyways.
      Rather then pumping out a ton of games with it, that won’t even work properly.

Oh and, you’re welcome. Lol.

18. El_Emmental says:

Press Start to Begin using DirectX11

19. RockandGrohl says:

After Crysis 2, I’ve learned to take “A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G AND E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G that Crytek says with 2 pocketfulls of salt.

DICE and Crytek – two letdown PC developers who have succumbed to the consoles.

Both said PC was lead platform.

Both games (BF3 and C2) riddled with console-reek – really low res textures, poor UI, butchered graphics options, broken controls, buggy mess, narrow level design, smaller scope.

In some instances both BF3 and Crysis 2 suffer from some of the above. Such as both games having narrower map design than their predecessors.

Sorry, but, I know profits are the new thing (where, believe it or not, in the early 00′s gaming used to be about the passion and hell, making a decent amount of money too) but now it’s all money and that means developers lay down integrity and build for the lowest common denominator.

• Infininja says:

To be fair, Battlefield 3′s UI is terrible on all platforms.