Bethesda Announce New Shinji Mikami Horror: Zwei

By John Walker on April 26th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

This is a collection of artwork, apparently.

Bethesda have just announced a new spoooooky game they’re publishing, from Tango Gameworks (recently bought by Bethesda parent company Zenimax). It’s called Zwei (that’s German for two, of course) and will be a survival horror directed by Shinji Mikami, the creator of Resident Evil. Which sounds like good pedigree.

According to Tango, the title is a codename for the project, rather than something final. Although when you announce your game with a name, changing it is a bloody stupid idea, so I’d expect this one (well, two) to stick.

Bethsoft have yet to confirm which platforms the game will be for, but they very rarely release anything that isn’t on PC. And while survival horror was once mostly found on console, that’s changed over the last couple of years.

The game will be, we’re assured, “pure survival horror”, and will “push the limits of fear and exhilaration.” Mikami adds,

“I’ve found my focus and once again I’m striving for pure survival horror. I am being very hands-on in the development of this game to ensure that the quality is there. Rest assured.”

Mikami’s odd modesty here ignores how well received was 2010′s Vanquish, and last year’s Shadows Of The Damned wasn’t exactly hated.

, , .

1. ZIGS says:

Yes but then again, it’s a Japanese developer…

• vodka and cookies says:

Yup and neither Vanquish or Shadows Of The Damned were released on PC unfortunately and both of those games should have on Steam given their very low marketing push.

Depends on how big Zwei is going to be and how much Bethesda will be pushing the title, hopefully it will happen.

2. DestructibleEnvironments says:

Dear Esther: Number Zwei.

Japanese horror is always exciting, IMO. I know nothing, but I might look forward to this.

• wodin says:

Well some of the best modern horror films have come out of Asia so fingers crossed.

• Kinth says:

Play Amnesia if you wan’t the atmosphere type of Dear esther, That game will make you shit more bricks then 10 houses combined. I’m still too scared to complete it :P

3. Oof says:

Anyone remember that Call of Cthulhu game Bethesda released? It was awesome. More of that sort of stuff!

• LennyLeonardo says:

I remember playing it for fifteen minutes before I got too scared. I think Howard P himself would’ve papped himself at that game. Time for another try I think!

• povu says:

Yeah it was awesome, but that dev team actually went bankrupt before they managed to finish the PC version. So it was kinda rushed and has its issues on modern PCs.

• magnus says:

It would have been better if it had lees of the FPs mechanics in it and those respawning enemies? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

• coldvvvave says:

Anyone remember that Terminator game Bethesda released? It was awesome too.

• Matt says:

hell yeah! first FPS in which the camera tilted when walking up slopes!

• IC says:

Ah, that was a great game. Atmospheric, brilliantly-paced and faithful to the spirit of the stories – not to mention bloody difficult. Some later sections let it down a bit, but I still remember it very fondly.

Lone Survivor, the new Amnesia sequel, now this… it seems that horror games are coming back into vogue. Now all we need is for GOG to rerelease Clive Barker’s Undying!

• dethtoll says:

More of the first 4 hours of CoC, less of the rest of the game which I never got to play because I keep ragequitting at the truck escape sequence which is fucking impossible.

4. Stevostin says:

I hope this will be first person view like all Bethesda stuff.

5. Lewie Procter says:

Shinji Mikami is probably one of my favourite game designers. GOD HAND!

Although none of his games have come to PC in recent times (Resident Evil 4 doesn’t count).

As you say, John, hopefully Bethesda publishing will result in a PC version.

6. f1x says:

“push the limits of fear and exhilaration”

Perhaps its because I’m not a native english speaker, but exhilaration… I cannot stop thinking it means a lot of laughs

• LennyLeonardo says:

Well, the Latin roots go like this:
      “ex” = thoroughly
      “hilarus” = cheerful – also the root of “hilarity” and “hilarious”

So you’re pretty much bang on the money.

• Brun says:

Exhilaration basically just means “excitement.” It can mean any kind of excitement – laughter, fear, thrill, etc.

• DickSocrates says:

He usually is, despite his funny videos.

• Shooop says:

He’s wrong though – it’s not the tech limitations that made Silent Hill 2 so great, it was the the creators understanding why its world is so terrifying.

The juxtaposition of mundane reality and completely alien was disturbing on an entirely new scale. And the worst was when you couldn’t even tell what was going on – Silent Hill 2 perfected the trope “nothing is scarier.” You couldn’t always see what was making that horrid rusty metal slamming noise so you were constantly screaming inside your head (and sometimes out loud) “What the unholy fuck IS that?!”

Cutting out the fog from 2 in the HD version obviously wasn’t a tech-based decision because he says they didn’t increase the view distance that much – it was just a simple head-in-ass stupid one. The dark, dank, grungy environments wouldn’t be any less effective with sharper textures, but if you changed the textures themselves to be any less uninviting (like turning up the saturation – OOPS) then you have a problem.

Bluerps says:

I’ve never been a big fan of survival horror (and I think the last one I played was actually the first Resident Evil), but I like the artwork, so maybe this is an opportunity to broaden my horizons.

8. DrGonzo says:

Vanquish was pretty dreadful though. But it had a button to flick your fag away, which was quite fun.

• Dominic White says:

You… really are from Bizarro World, aren’t you? Vanquish was probably the most tightly designed shooter to hit consoles in the past five years.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Vanquish is incredible.

• f1x says:

The only really possible complain about Vanquish, in my humble opinion, is the campaign being too short and with not so much replayability
      but once again as much as its short its a hell of a ride

but the style and cheesy dialogues are so over the top, its just not for everyone

• Lewie Procter says:

VANQUISH!

You can slow down time and shoot a grenade that you’ve just thrown, so you can trigger it exploding mid air, and the blast radius is slightly bigger that way too.

The story was bobbins, skip all the cutscenes, and it was a bit short, but was because it keeps moving at an astonishing pace throughout, and is always throwing new stuff at you. Phenomenal game.

VANQUISH!

• Stevostin says:

But… it’s a third person shooter. It genetically can’t be worth more than 7/10, you realise that ?

• f1x says:

VANQUISH!

Its impossible to not read that with the same voice that says it at the title screen

by the way, another japanese game that would be great on PC

• Drayk says:

I got vanquish some weeks ago. You can’t be tired to play this games, it’s completly chaotic and bullets are flying everywhere.

It’s an excellent game but I put it on hold in favor of Amalur.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Yeah, Vanquish is amazing. Especially on God Hard. I was reading a review of Sine Mora the other day and I wondered “has anyone ever made a Cave-style bullet hell shooter but in 3D?” I’ve just realised the answer is yes, and it’s Vanquish.

• Lewie Procter says:

Or indeed PN03.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Hey, look at that. I must’ve missed that back in the Gamecube days. Probably because I was continually replaying Mikami’s more famous Gamecube game. Thanks for the link.

9. faelnor says:

So he’s the guy who made RE1, its beautiful Gamecube remake and RE4? And he was just producer on RE2 and RE0 which were the other good games in the series, albeit not as much? And he says he wants true survival horror? Yes, I say. Yes!

10. noodlecake says:

Ugh… If it’s anything like Resident Evil then get ready for hybrid voice acting and guys in ridiculous sun glasses teleporting around and then turning into stupid hybrid monsters. Cheesetastic.

There was no mention of Capcom anywhere in the article so maybe there’s a chance it won’t be a cheesefest. Never played anything by Capcom that wasn’t..

• noodlecake says:

hybrid voice acting? That sounds quite interesting actually. I meant “bad” voice acting.

11. gunny1993 says:

I want it to be as atmospheric as dear Esther, as scary as nightmare house (google it, download it, play it) and as fun as left for dead …… i may be setting my hopes too high

• Kinth says:

Play Amnesia, has that very atmospheric feeling like Dear Esther and is ridiculously scary. It’s more SURVIVAL horror than anything since you don’t actually have weapons and if you stay in the dark too long your character starts going insane.

• Shooop says:

Pick up copies of Silent Hill 2 and 3.

12. DaftPunk says:

This shouldn’t be here,because he said game will probably release on HD consoles.

lowprices says:

Shinji Mikami’s involvement doesn’t automatically mean good survival horror, though. While I have enjoyed most of Mikami’s games, I’d only use “scary” to describe the first Resident Evil (when I was 12, anyway) and the remake. I’d use “breathless” and “exciting” to describe Res4 and Vanquish, “Juvenile” and “rubbish” to describe Shadows of the Damned, and “hard as fuck” and “camper than Lady Gaga performing Pet Shop Boys songs at a Rocky Horror Picture show convention” to describe God Hand. But not scary.

14. Kinth says:

For the love of shitting myself give me a true SURVIVAL horror! not 3rd person shoulder cam with awkward as hell movement where I mow down waves of enemies.

Give me that “I might need to run from this fight like a litle girl” feeling, I’d love to see the old Resi style back, fixed cameras, puzzles and pure shit yourself moments and actual intrigue. I remember finding the labs in Resi two and thinking it was a very cool wandering around this hidden underground lab and I really wanted to know what was going on. didn’t get that feeling in resi 4 or 5 they were just to obvious about it, if anything the environments felt too populated.
    Also give better feed back when you shoot enemies, in Resi 5 shooting enemies just felt stupid, you could pour bullets into their head and they would just keep shambling towards you after a tiny flinch. Give me tiny amounts of ammo and make me think about whether I should shoot or run, and if I shoot I better get a headshot or I’m wasting ammo etc. Not oh here is this really annoying guy with a chainsaw just run around awkwardly pouring full clips of ammo into him while he doesn’t react. I want horror to be scary and atmospheric , not just I’m scared because the controls are shitty and this guy is going to use all my ammo as I awkwardly run around for 10 minutes.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

Considering there are those for whom survival horror should be like The Walking Dead TV series with limitless ammo and weapon cache (and grenades popping out of women handbags), I envy the developers.

They are the ones who get to experience true survival horror in this market.

15. Shooop says:

Perhaps that quote means he’s as distraught as some us that Resident Evil has mutated into another “Me too!” 3rd person manshoot series?

But if he wants quality to apply to the scares and tension as well, he should team up with Team Silent.

16. Eynonz says:

Japanese Horror *gulp* …oh please don’t let it involve dead Japanese kids….

17. aethereal says:

oh man here’s hoping it doesn’t involve bethesda-level glitchyness as well. Bethesda glitches+horror=no horror.