Hey You, Play Games With RPS Readers!

By Jim Rossignol on April 26th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

The RPS community, yesterday.
Yes, they’re all at it. There’s a whole bunch of them playing Tribes Ascend, and they even have their own server. The same is true of the Arma corps, who get up to regular shenanigans, which now even includes shooting zombies. Then there’s the surprisingly popular Mass Effect 3 shootery, which is taking place over here. If you prefer things a little more persistent then the Eve and Perpetuum corps are both recruiting, while the unstoppable Blood Bowl league persists in quite a different way. Long may it continue. Finally, it’s worth pointing a wizened finger at the Wargame: European Escalation gang, because that game is certainly worthy of your attention. There’s plenty more, of course, over here

, , , , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Choca says:

Which shard is the official RPS shard for the Guild Wars 2 beta this week-end by the way ?

Screwie says:

Right now it looks like we are using Desolation for our (EU) server, at least for this weekend. The future guild’s beta thread can be found here.

• KauhuK says:

Don’t know about that but as I will be playing with the guild I’m in. I don’t yet even know what server we’ll be on. But I’ll be sure to check RPS forums to see if there are some people from here on the same server so I could play with them too <3

felisc says:

Mh, i guess i’ll shazbot my way through the rps server this evening.

3. deadly.by.design says:

But will I be the only New World Colonial?

• President Weasel says:

Nope! Despite the time zone complications we have Colonials from across the pond and even the Antipodes playing Blood Bowl with us, and indeed a wide variety of other games.

Tom De Roeck says:

Please mention the server list, where I try to collect MP info as much as possible.

Also, they can all mail/notificate me with info about their flavour of MP goodness that should be included but for some reason isnt.

here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?668-Server-List

5. Unaco says:

A lot of the Arma playing RPS people hang out in the Steam RPS Group chat room… so if anyone that is interested wants to find out what’s going on, what sessions are planned, what impromptu sessions are happening, or wants to try and get a game going, feel free to drop by and introduce yourself. We accept anyone really, you don;t need to be competent, and know every shortcut and every procedure and what all the markings mean on a set of optics… the only thing we expect is that you follow the rule (“don’t be a d*ck”), and that you adhere to a little etiquette (don’t spam up chat/voice, don’t ruin a mission for others – either by messing up a plan, or trying to do everything on your own and Rambo’ing it – just stick with your Fire Team/Group and help out, don’t volunteer to be a pilot unless you’re confident at the role – 1 bad transport pilot crashing and killing everyone isn’t much fun after the first time).

Also, DayZ has been mentioned here. Myself and some others are thoroughly enjoying it just now, despite it being Alpha and quite temperamental. It has a definite STALKER vibe to it, and really gets the survival tone down well. Just don’t trust anyone. If you want to watch a really great video series, that shows off not only the features, but also the potential and emergent gameplay of the mod, check out this video and the following three parts.

• ankh says:

“1 bad transport pilot crashing and killing everyone isn’t much fun after the first time).”

I still find that just as funny as the first time. Guess I’m just not serious enough for war.

• Unaco says:

It’s more if we’re playing, or trying to play, with some organisation (which we do on Tuesdays and Sundays). If we spend 5 minutes choosing slots and getting everyone in a role, then 5-10 minutes with the Commander coming up with a plan, and detailing it, then getting comms organised, then spend 5-10 minutes getting ready to move out, then 5 minutes in a chopper on route to the mission… just to crash into a hill before we do anything, it’s a bit of a waste of time. In the organised sessions, we have 20-40 people at a time, organisation can take a bit of time and effort, so having to go back and do things over can be trying. The more relaxed sessions, we tend not to mind stuff like that as much, and have more of a sense of humour about those sorts of things.

• LionsPhil says:

Excellent use of Gravatar to accent post.

• mentor07825 says:

I’m interested. Would I need the Operation Arrowhead game as well? Also any DLC needed?

• Unaco says:

Yes, you’ll need Operation Arrowhead, along with ArmA2, which can be run together (essentially the ArmA2 assets in the Operation Arrowhead game/engine) as something called Combined Ops. Although, if you want a very distorted taste of some ARPS shenanigans, and only have ARMA2, we do maintain an ArmA2 Free server (which ArmA2 owners can join). Just bear in mind, it’s very much public, and ArmA2 Free is a free game… so it tends to run the public friendly, but not very focussed missions, like Domi(nation). A couple ARPS people do police it at times, and they have been known to jump in and push for a little more organisation.

No, you don’t need any of the DLC at all, or any mods to join in almost all of our sessions. The DLC can be used by anyone, whether they own it or not (Multiplayer at least), you just get lower quality textures for those assets (it’s called BAF and PMC lite). Owning the DLC gives the high res assets, and the singleplayer campaigns. And we run our weekly sessions and the FOLK session which we have an open invite to each week, as no mods required. We have a couple (CBA, STHud) mods that we recommend, but you will never need any to join Tactical Tuesday or FOLK on a Sunday. Impromptu sessions and some specific organised sessions might be different, but we let people know well in advance if it’s something planned.

• Snuffy the Evil says:

Additionally, if you only have Operation Arrowhead you can combine it with the free version of Arma 2 to create “Combined Ops Lite”, which is basically the same thing as Combined Ops but with some muddy textures for Chernarus stuff.

• mentor07825 says:

I have ARMA II, so that’s all good. Can’t find the CD though :P Ah sure, thanks for the heads up lads!!

• malkav11 says:

I’d love to play some decent large scale ARMA antics in coop, but my impression has been that the regular sessions are at British times that wind up being somewhere in the deep dark of slumber time for we Americans.

• Unaco says:

We play British/European evening time (usually start @ 730pm British Time, going on for 2 – 3 hours, and very, very rarely do we just run 1 mission for the whole session, so even if you miss the start, you can jump in along the way), so not at an ungodly hour for our cousins across the Atlantic. The array of British and European accents that you’ll have to contend with might be a different hurdle however.

FriendlyFire says:

We have yet to send news to the RPS team about this (mostly because we want to be absolutely totally certain it’s all working smoothly), but I’d still like to invite everyone who’s interested to the Freeworlds: Tides of War demo server:

It’s a Star Wars total conversion for Freelancer inspired by XvT and other such classic space sims; the demo was released a few weeks ago.

7. ColOfNature says:

There’s also WombatDeath’s Frozen Synapse Dark Extermination League, set to start it’s ninth season sometime soon-ish. Sign up over here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?3919-Frozen-Synapse-dark-extermination-league-season-9

8. bill says:

Wish blood bowl legendary would drop in price…. it’s 66% off on gamersgate… but it’s still 10 quid.

Dark Elves is very cheap… but i guess you need legendary?

• President Weasel says:

You’ll need legendary, but a tenner is pretty reasonable. Couple of seasons in the league, and that’ll be less than a quid an hour.

• sinister agent says:

A tenner is about as good as it’s ever going to get, I think – blood bowl’s publisher apparently has no idea how to price things sensibly. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it for as little as ten quid.

• bill says:

But i haven’t payed a tenner for a game in, well, about 10 years.

But i does love bloodbowl.

Is everyone going to switch to Dungeonbowl when they try and milk the franchise some more soon?

Sarigs says:

There’s also a regular League of Legends Community: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?733-League-of-Legends

10. Shortwave says:

Hm, I just got into Tribes and it turns out I’m getting decent.
    Hopefully my ping is alright on that server, would be awesome.
    I live in the middle of nowhere in the Canadian wilderness. HA.
    Sometimes it messes with my funk.

• Strange_guy says:

I too have just gotten into tribes, though I’m pretty bad. I’m in the UK so ping shouldn’t be an issue for me. How good are the RPS server people? Tribes Ascend is a game that can get pretty frustrating against people who are good at it when you aren’t.

11. DarkGoeie says:

Does anybody play Super Monday Night Combat? Random matchmaking are pretty good, but 1 out of 3 games, you get a monkey who can’t stop blaming everybody about how his mother never loved him. Would love to play with people whose mothers have loved them.

12. RakeShark says:

For those of you who liked ME3’s Co-op but never found a decent bunch of folks to regularly play with, then “Rachni, Pyjak, Salarian” is for you. Hop on over to the thread on the forums (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?3223-Rachni-Pyjak-Salarian-Mass-Effect-3-Coop) where we discuss the finer points of headbutting, the art of dakka-dakka-dakka, and occasionally make videos of our failures(exploits).

13. Ninja Foodstuff says:

I don’t like games or people. Can I still get involved?

14. Syra says:

Well I’m Syra#2173 on battle.net if any of you fine folks enjoy the killing of demons as of may 15.

• lepercake says:

I’m Cloudstrife_DK add me pls

Addendum: Anyone have a dedicated Running with Rifles server up? Do want.

15. Jon says:

Any RPS people in the Dota 2 beta?

• vivlo says:

me !

though i must say i’m not as delightened with this as i was expecting to be. i’m a noob at dota, still know a bit of LoL and another Moba, Sotis, which is a sc2 amateur map which has gone shittier with successive updates – and dota graphics kind of… are not as appealing as LoL (personnal taste heh, but also less readibility, less variety maybe ? which would be understandable as it’s a rather new game) and the game is not newb friendly, and getting flamed because i’m a noob while i’m playing coop vs ia and there’s no other option of training games is a bad experience. And also, not much novelty in the moba realm, which is expectable because it’s a “2” and it’s fairly new, but sotis though made by amateurs had really new and nice ideas for heroes. Good points are : the rest, incredible interface allowing to watch pro games while waiting for your game to be set up, gameplay is fluent, which after all is maybe the essential aspect in this kind of game….

16. brulleks says:

What about TF2? Don’t tell me you’ve given up on it already? It’s only been going about four years. I think I’ll still be playing it in another four, assuming servers are still available.

If not, SP with bots will have to do : (

• airtekh says:

Last time I checked, the RPS TF2 server was dead. It used to be in my ‘favourite servers’ list and stopped showing up there.

17. Demiath says:

I’m going to be perfectly honest and say that I literally cannot believe multiplayer (as such, no qualifers whatsoever) is still a thing.

• Nalano says:

Why wouldn’t it be?

Kelron says:

I don’t understand.

emertonom says:

Yes, clearly this “internet” malarkey will be forgotten within the year.

jrodman says:

Demiath is just letting us know about his belief disorder. He finds himself unable to believe in things.

For him, and others like him, we recommend our top of the line Electric Monk.

• Skabooga says:

It’s fun. You should give it a try.

18. Walsh says:

That is an odd picture to pair with this story. Are you saying playing with RPS readers is like playing cards with the devil?

19. vivlo says:

also, unofficial rps minecraft server (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?86-The-%28unofficial%29-RPS-Minecraft-Server-Thread-III/) still up, has recently known some regain of activity ?