Ghost Recon Future Soldier Gunsmith Trailer Is A Bit Silly

By Nathan Grayson on April 27th, 2012 at 11:00 am.

Yeah, er, just watch the trailer.
The phrase “gunsmith” always makes me imagine the Ghosts ducking into a wartorn alleyway, only to discover a comfortable alcove occupied by a jolly, thick-bearded dwarf and his robust set of smelting tools. They sit down and banter for a bit over a thick hunk of black bread and some finely aged cheeses. It’s all very pleasant. Evidently, however, Ubisoft and I don’t exactly see eye-to-eye on the subject of mythril and its effectiveness in modern combat zones. Granted, when someone else says “gunsmith,” I don’t imagine that this is what immediately springs to mind either.

So, right. I’m not entirely sure what I just saw there, but I have theories. Regardless, I can’t decide if it was really, really dumb or just awful enough to be kind of great. At any rate, Ghost Recon: Suture Folder is out on June 15. Are you looking forward to meticulously poring over ergonomic gun triggers for hours on end? Will you do it on a bus, in a box, or with a fox? I mean, I’m all for customization, but does anyone in the crowd actually care this much about total control over their armaments?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Hoaxfish says:

And you all said Gaming Addiction didn’t have any real proof!

• RegisteredUser says:

Given that gaming addiction is pretty damn real this is in rather poor taste.

To me, not so much because its about that, but mostly because it just plain sucks. It resorts to jacking-off humor and “zomg I fail in real life but here I AM A GAWD!” implications of PC gamers = loserdom.

Screw you, again, Ubisoft.

• lurkalisk says:

Given that there is no compelling evidence on the matter, that statement is in rather poor sense.

…That sounded better in my head.

• Syra says:

Oh please, gaming addiction definitely exists, I have been addicted to WoW harder than crack!

Cold turkey is the worst.

• RegisteredUser says:

There are several empirical studies on the subject and I know where I am coming from with my “argument” from experience as well.

• jezcentral says:

When mentioning “empirical studies”, it’s normal practice to, y’know, give your sources.

Also, there’s a better phrase than “argument from experience”; it’s “anecdotal evidence”. Which isn’t evidence.

• ObiDamnKenobi says:

Lol. Please. there is no such thing as “game addiction”, just people with no self control. Obsession maybe, but not addiction.

2. Cryo says:

It was really, really dumb. SATSQ.

3. CMaster says:

“on Kinect™ for Microsoft® Xbox 360™”

Right…
    I mean, neat feature, but odds are there will onlybe a few sensible combinations.

• Kal says:

And what was with the truly surreal implication that the Kinect was being used as some kind of bong? Bizarre.

• hench says:

The Kinect part gave me my daily dose of cringe

4. zoombapup says:

Give me a break. Really, do they think we’re all morons? Oh wait. Yes, yes they do.

I was actually secretly hoping this game would end up being a bit rainbow six, it looked like it could get that way. But trailers like this make me think there is no way that they could have learnt the lessons of R6 at all.

Mind you, developers have nothing to do with the idiotic marketing foisted on them, so maybe the devs themselves *are* capable of bringing us a mature shooter with enough useful stealth elements to lend a bit of risk/reward.

5. Rao Dao Zao says:

Seems like they’re really gunning for this feature.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

I’m not sure I’m part of the demography they’re aiming for, though.

• Ars.Gladius says:

Perhaps they should adjust their sights on what the market really wants.

• Max.I.Candy says:

they’ve obviously been gauging public opinion and are now confident enough to really hammer this idea out there.
      personally i wont be shelling out for this, i prefer games of a higher calibre, that suppress all the unnecassary stuff and only target the things that matter.

6. Roshin says:

Seriously, don’t they hire professionals to do these things anymore? It wasn’t even remotely funny or interesting. All the money they wasted on this could have gone to a Kickstarter-project, or to some indies, or whatever.

7. visseking says:

I’m a gunsmith and that video was offending…

8. The Godzilla Hunter says:

I really am not sure how serious they were when they were making this. I mean, was it supposed to be that terrible, with tongue firmly in cheek, or was it supposed to be straight up funny?

I’m hoping the former.

9. TheWhippetLord says:

That is the dumbest bit of advertising I’ve seen for some time. Yes, it got me thinking slightly about their product, but I now associate it with feeling slightly awkward and embarrassed. Purchase unlikely.

The only ones who seem to manage these ‘clever’ ads without coming across as plonkers are Paradox, and even they don’t always pull it off.

10. roryok says:

Are there any decent games / universes that combine magic / spells / wizards type stuff with modern tech? I remember there was that one set in the London underground, but that was just awful.

I know there must be loads, but what’s the cream of the crop?

• kalelovil says:

Shadowrun.

• Wildcard says:

Yeah, like kalelovil said, the Shadowrun stuff along with it’s nearly over kickstarter. Then there’s Arcanum, but that’s a steampunk / magic mix. Other than those two, I can’t thnk of anything else. Weird, seems like there should be a lot more.

• kalelovil says:

I suppose Warhammer 40k could also count, but on the other hand almost all the factions in it have powers/technology sufficiently advanced to be regarded as magic, while I’m guessing you don’t want something that futuristic and larger-than-life.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Bioshock and Mass Effect are like this

• roryok says:

Are they though? The ‘powers’ in Bioshock were more kind of psychic powers. No one was casting spells or reading ancient tomes

• kud13 says:

there aren’t loads, sadly.

for games, there’s Arcanum (steampunk/magic), and shadowrun (cyberpunk/magic, kickstarter ending in 2 days, game to come out in 2013)

recently, there’s also been E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy that’s a mix of guns, post-apocalyptic future, and “magic”/psy-powers.

Bioshock, System Shock 2 and Deus Ex series, (and Syndicate, with a stretch) and Vampire: the Masquerade: Bloodlines are all games that have “powers” in addition to gunplay, but only the last one is actually “magic” in any sense of the world. And even then, Vampire: the Masquerade: Redemption is much more in-depth about magic (at the expense of being a more Diablo-like RPG).

Also, coming up, there’s Dishonored (more of a steampunk/magic mashup again) that’s due out later this year.

EDIT: there aren’t a whole lot of “modern day+ magic” settings. Two that come to mind readily are Shadowrun + World of Darkness (Vampire: the Masquerade/Requiem, Werewolf: the Apocalypse, Mage; the Ascension, etc). And Shadowrun is in the near future (2050s+), as is Deus Ex (2027, 2050s and 2060s, for each game in the series). Bioshock is retro- early 20th century, whilst Mass Effect is futuristic sci-fi. Arcanum and Dishonored both aren’t earth-based.

Oh, and the one you were thinking of was Hellgate: London

of a pure “now”-based setting, there’s only World of Darkness. there’s an MMO called “The Secret World”, that’s supposed to be now-based, but i’m not 100% sure how much magic is involved.

• ITSSEXYTIME says:

The Darkness is another one.

• roryok says:

Wow, that’s a good list! Must play Bloodlines. I only ever got a very small way into it. I still don’t consider Bioshock to be *magic* in the traditional sense. It’s more psychic powers that appear like magic. It’s all about genes and latent abilities.

I was looking specifically for modern day meets traditional magic, like Shadowrun or Hellgate:London. But Hellgate sucks, and Shadowrun is multiplayer only (I much prefer single player games where I can just soak up the story and not have to talk to real-world people)

It’s strange that there isn’t more of this around. The modern day magic thing is obviously huge in TV/Movies/Books – Buffy/Angel, Supernatural, True Blood, The X-Files, The Dark Tower, His Dark Materials, Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl etc – and yet it gets very little attention in games

11. Richard Beer says:

What a bunch of moany old nerds you all are. It made me smile, while also communicating enough about the game to intrigue me. That’s what a trailer is for, right? Or do you just want jerky-camera action scenes with a WUB WUB WUB soundtrack?

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

If they could also work in some BWOOOOOONG, that would also be acceptable.

12. rivalin says:

FYI Ubisoft, Delta Force guys don’t actually fist bump every time they blow something up.

• hench says:

Yeah, how insensitive of Ubi when we all know that they celebrate with 360 NOSCOPE HEADSHOTS OORAAAH!!

13. Zunt says:

23 comments and not one of you has pointed out the misspelling of mithril? For shame!

14. CheesyJelly says:

They lost my attention as soon as I saw “Gamer’s Anonymous”. A weird trailer, fine, but bad grammar? There’s no excuse for that…

15. HilariousCow says:

Haha! Addiction!

16. Mario Figueiredo says:

I liked the video. Nothing majorly offensive or dumb at the way they are trying to sell me into the game. For one they show me actual gameplay footage. More than I can say about many trailers these days, which are nonetheless deemed cool and awesome and all the other et cetera expletives.

There’s an attempt at humor which didn’t get me gasping for air, but did bring a smile to my face on a few occasions. They also go to full lengths to explain the gunsmith feature, which is more than I tend to expect from trailers.

As for your question Nathan, I don’t see Gunsmith as a feature that defines the game, but one that adds something new to a genre that has been done to death by a just a few titles. Gunsmith is essentially a game mod that… lets you mod weapons. Were this being offered on some mod website and you’d bet it would get all the votes for a good mod. I suspect the game gameplay is altered to make use of this feature, so there’s a difference. But otherwise it’s just a mod being hailed as a feature.

Do I care for it? A little, yeah. I confess the idea of fully customizing my weapons looks like fun. I don’t give it the importance the trailer seems to attribute to it, but I certainly find it a nice thing to have on a genre that doesn’t have many grounds for gameplay innovation.

17. Mario Figueiredo says:

I liked the video. I didn’t find anything majorly offensive in the way they tried to sell me the game. At least it shows me real gameplay footage, which is more than I can say about many trailers out there that are nonetheless hailed as cool, awesome, or other expletive et ceteras.

It brings some attempts at humor that did bring a smile to my face here and there. So that’s good. I didn’t find it stupid or pathetic.

It also tries to fully explain the main game feature, which is not what I usually see on trailers. But considering a trailer is just something that exists to sell me an idea (I don’t play trailers, I play games), I do prefer when they do this type of stuff.

As for your question, I consider Gunsmith a game mod. If something like this appeared on a mod website, you bet it would be getting the top place as best mod. In a game genre beat to death by just a few titles, it’s good to see the effort to bring something new to the table. Even if something that isn’t exactly that exciting.

EDIT: Of course, this being an Ubisoft game it is completely out of the question I will spend my money on it. That company is completely blocked for me. But… there you go. Not that bad of a trailer and an interesting feature.

18. Eukatheude says:

Well, it’s a totally superfluos feature and it’s clearly aimed at 16 year old gun nuts. But it might still be fun, because tweaking stuff is fun.

19. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Pretty stupid trailer. And rather insensitive too. Also, what is the draw here? Weapons customisation isn’t new.. and it certainly isn’t worth that much attention in this case.

Well.. unless you have nothing else to bring to the table, perhaps.

• Fumarole says:

And rather insensitive too.

I know, right? Shooting people in the face shouldn’t be taken so lightly.

20. One Million Monkeys says:

If the premise for trailer then at least had been original. Civ did the same 5 years ago with their No More Turn campaign: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LReU0JF1gtM

21. Zarunil says:

Being able to customize weapons is a good thing. I’ll admit the trailer was cheezy.

22. Gunsmith says:

I didn’t ask for a trailer

23. Shooop says:

The RPS comments are telling me everything I need to know about this. I think I’ll spare myself the pain and not watch it.

24. Ichi_1 says:

I would love to be able to customise my weapons this much. Tinkering is fun and it makes them totally personal.

It’s a shame the overall game will be rubbish though. Ghost Recon 1 was awesome because it was realistic and brutal. If you made a mistake you were killed. You actually had to think like a sniper because there were no regenerating health bars and one shot could kill. Then they f*ucked it up and this looks like even more a f*uck up. It’s just another CoD, and CoD is crap

25. YourMessageHere says:

This feature is superb. I definitely want this feature. Why would you not want this in a game about using guns?

The implementation is a bit stupid and overly flashy. I just want to change what the gun can do. You don’t have to animate it or make it resemble a Tomb Raider inventory – a gunsmithing workshop would be fine, but a text menu will do. How it works in the game is what’s important.

The trailer was awful.

The game also looks like it ought to be good but cannot possibly be. For one thing: third person. That is wrong for games primarily about shooting. Primarily about jumping or hitting things, OK, but shooting requires aiming, and the only way third person aiming works is if you make it like first person aiming – so why not just make it first person, like all the other games in the Toast Recon series?

26. blackjackshelak says:

Honestly the Gunsmith feature of this game has been a major selling point for me. I won’t be fiddling with it outside of the game, but damn does it ever look cool. I always enjoy having customization options, and this does a few things that I’ve rarely seen in other games. Not only is there a staggering level of detail in the options available, but they’re taking a relatively realistic approach to it.

Even games like BF3 which allow for a certain degree of altering guns, don’t always do so in a way that seems to mesh with reality. The chief example off the top of my head is that the “heavy barrel” gunmod increases accuracy while ALSO increasing felt recoil. Now I’m not one to complain about that mind you, but the way Gunsmith appears to work looks EXTREMELY interesting to me.

I was already kind of planning on getting it, and the fact that the Mk. 14 and AK-47 are both pre-order “bonuses” might have convinced me to buy it that way. I’d venture a guess that the actual number of “base models” of guns is relatively low, given that customization is the thing. Since that’s the case, two more to add to the list seems a decent idea. The Mk. 14 is one of my favorite guns, and if by “AK-47″ they mean “Roughly every AK variant ever” then sign me up for one of those too.

27. Clovis says:

I liked how the customization screen sped up when he was using Kinect. Because making wild gestures and yelling at the TV is obviously going to be faster and more precise than faffing about with a controller.