In The Flood Of Games: Tinysasters

By Jim Rossignol on April 27th, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

Game jams are proving to be one of the most fruitful phenomena of the current era of gaming. Ludum Dare constantly throws up a bunch of fascinating stuff, and it’s tough to keep track of it all. So much of what is created – the window for making is just 48 hours – is so small and unassuming that it is likely to be missed. Tinysasters is one such microcosm, but it’s a beautiful, perfectly formed gem of an idea: terraforming an 8×8 tile based grid, while natural disasters roll in every thirty seconds to undo your work. Worth a look, if just for a moment.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. f1x says:

Thats nice, to be honest gaming needs new ideas, new gameplay concepts and what comes from this jams seems to be quite fresh

• SanguineAngel says:

yes yes yes. I would really love it if a decent chunk of these concepts got picked up by larger devs/publishers and fully fleshed projects produced.]

Once concern I always have with that though – and with any project that has lovely new concepts – is that the single exciting concept ends up being so much a focus of development that the game is too much a one trick pony.

• f1x says:

Yes of course, but one trick ponys can be fantastic, like Super Mario Bros,
        but that was combined with good level design aswell of course

2. andytizer says:

Having some trouble interacting with the game- it seems to be mouse driven but all I can seem to do is highlight a tile and that’s it- what am I supposed to do?

3. DanPryce says:

That was a great little distraction. I’d love it on my phone, please.

4. Bluerps says:

Cute little game. I like the terraform mechanic, where not only the terraformed tile changes, but part of the rest of the world does too.

5. Tom Walker says:

Kind of reminds me of Populus.

Oh wait, I’m incredibly old.

• RedViv says:

I doubt the incredibility of your oldness. Mine seems credible enough, and this here reminded me of the very same game.

• sneetch says:

I had a sad/happy nostalgia moment about populous too if it makes you feel any better (I am old too though).

• abraxas says:

The words I’m sure you were looking for are “Oh wait, I like incredibly good games!”

• Tom Walker says:

Well okay, I’m not *old* old. Just slightly *too* old.

Okay, how about this for an assertion:

Like the original Sim City, Populus was best on the SNES.

Senile dementia?

6. hypercrisis says:

reminds me of Wetrix

7. MadTinkerer says:

That’s one of the best Ludum Dare games I’ve ever played. A little too easy even on Hard, but otherwise very polished for a 48 hour game.

8. kibertoad says:

LD48 seems to get all the press :). Which is a shame, as there are some pretty awesome jam games like http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=8502 and http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=11521

9. adonf says:

Not played yet, but the graphics remind me of This Precious Land that was mentioned in the comments of the last LD post and that I enjoyed quite a bit:

10. Randomer says:

Good fun. Does mana actually do anything, though? I could acquire it via shrines, but I couldn’t see any way to spend it.

• eleion says:

If you click on a tile there is a button called “Generate” and from there you can terraform the map yourself using mana. A nice concept, but I never found it useful.

11. Llamageddon says:

Loving the music, simple but very toe tappingly endearing. Something similar could be said of the whole game really, simple but endearing. A perfect Ludum Dare example.

12. LionsPhil says:

Hmm. Easy really is pretty easy. As in you can almost directly buy the things you need to win.

Guess it’s time to face the horrors of…NORMAL.

13. ekuurh says:

LOVED it.
    Maybe it didn’t have great graphics, plot or even gameplay (hard difficulty gets very easy once you place shrines everywhere), the idea was awesome. Gaming NEEDS these ideas. this is as good as 48 hours can go. I just wish there was a program that puts 500 programers/innovators/anything a game needs to be made, and gives them a whole month to make games.
    It can’t be ludum dare style, because people won’t be psyched up by it for a whole month, but just think how all these great ludum dare games would look like if people kept working on them for 28 more days.
    AWESOME, right?!
    (inb4 “didn’t read, but…”)

14. KinoftheFlames says: