Not iPhoned In: Republique Getting “Unique” PC Version

By Nathan Grayson on April 27th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

My interests include pleasant conversation, long walks on the beach, and SYMBIOTIC RELATIONSHIPS.
Republique is an iOS project on Kickstarter. Wait, don’t run! I’ve surrounded the entire area with landmin– urgh. Well, I was going to tell you that it’s also a very intriguing idea from brilliantly talented folks who worked on Metal Gear Solid, Halo, and FEAR, but then you rudely went and exploded. But, while I gingerly sweep still-smoking bits of you off RPS’ world-renowned lawn, I’ll tell no one in particular that Republique’s bringing its highly cinematic blend of stealth and a “symbiotic relationship” with a character named Hope to PC. This won’t be a simple port, either. If you weren’t so obnoxiously dead right now, you could find out why in a video after the break.

So that’s incredibly promising. Regardless of how the final game turns out, Camoflaj is at least approaching this with the right attitude. It all sounds fascinatingly ambitious, too, but – as evidenced by its rather quickly draining Kickstarter hourglass – that doesn’t necessarily translate to sweet, sweet funding.

Me, I’m pulling for it, if only because I’m still very worried that Kickstarter’s devolving into a necromantic cult that sacrifices giant sums of money to revive dead genres and franchises – and little more. It’s nice to see some of these franchises get a second chance to shine, but what happened to all our clamoring for innovation? If ever “speak with your wallet” was a phrase that actually meant something, it’s now. So why am I only hearing crickets?

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Eclipse says:

they should have presented it as PC game from the start. That’s what happens when you try to kickstarter an ios title for the ridiculous sum of 500k.
    Nobody sane of mind develops a mobile game with a 500k budget.

• f1x says:

Well, I think also its about Mac/iOS users, I might fall into an unfair generalization but the average iOS user is not the kind that will fund kickstarters
      its more likely that they will be busy trowing birds around or instagraming last night party

• InternetBatman says:

One of their higher funded projects that wasn’t a video game was a dock for iPhones. There are a ton of other iPhone related kickstarters, many of them successful.

• Bhazor says:

Getting Apple fans to spend $100 on a frickin’ charge stand is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

*Shooting into barrel requires proprietary gun. Only approved fish may be used. Official upgrades to barrel may degrade barrel performance. Loading fish into barrel requires the use of proprietary iFishes system.

• Bhazor says:

Barrel not available in your country.

• StranaMente says:

Here, Lord Custard Smingleigh, let me pin this “Comment of the Month Award” badge on your jacket.

• Phantoon says:

The gun barrel or the fish barrel?

Damn apple products…

• Hobz says:

The matter is more about cuting yourself from the pledge of a vast amount of backers by going iOS only when you need 500 k.

• vodka and cookies says:

Precisely and iOS gamers are a cheap bunch too so higher priced games are much harder to sell. They should have done this much earlier, they only have 2 weeks left on their Kickstarter, I’ve no idea if you can delay them.

• Bhazor says:

I wouldn’t say its cheapness, I mean Apple users by default pay three times the actual value of their devices, so much that they just don’t want long form games. iThings are really uncomfortable to use for any real length of time unless you’re going to also buy the keyboard and stand (an extra £80).

2. Alexandros says:

Exactly as Eclipse says. Funding games through Kickstarter is mainly a PC thing for now, so you better make sure you have a PC version if you want to have a chance.

• Hoaxfish says:

Well, it’s a bit muddy when you see that some of the highest non-game kickstarters are for iOS-related hardware… there’s that Pebble watch rolling in at near 7 million right now with 20+ days to go. However, it’s also Android compatible, so you could argue it’s just smartphones for this specific project, and the actual product is a physical item (with costs that would entail) as well as much higher price for the actual item.

G-Lord says:

I can’t say I disagree. Was interested in the project from the beginning, but I only pledged now thanks to the PC version announcement.

• Baresark says:

I agree. What is silly about asking this amount of money is that PC gamers back indie games a whole lot more than any other platform. It shouldn’t be an afterthought that there should be a PC version. It’s actually pretty easy to make a PC version the port it down, where upscaling your assets is a much trickier game.

3. Stardog says:

If iPads/iPhones had two analog sticks + buttons, they’d have a chance.

• Hoaxfish says:

Which is why that Razer Fiona thing was such a hit

• Tuco says:

Razer’s Fiona isn’t even available on the market, so I don’t know what are you talking about.

• Tancosin says:

Maybe it was sarcasm?

(Just to be clear, not trying to be a douchebag or anything. I don’t know even know what the Razer Fiona is, and can’t be bothered to google. I am legitimately wondering.)

4. byteCrunch says:

Despite the low cost, I would suspect a lot of people are still sceptical about the game, bringing back a dead genre you know for the most part what your going to get.
    Clamouring for innovation is all well and good until your own money is on the line with very little information on the game.

• Bhazor says:

My complaint is that it isn’t very innovative. It looks essentially like a crap stealth game with a gimmick. At worst it looks like a series of QTEs where you’re interaction is just saying when she should complete the next section for you. I just don’t have the confidence from that trailer that these people are making anything truly innovative. It looks like the stealth sections of BG&E but without the actual gameplay.

Certainly I don’t see much in the way of great innovators among the team. Who are these people? I mean you can’t just attach three big franchises to your spiel without some kind of context?

The fact they’re spending so much on mo-cap and voice acting at this stage also doesn’t fill me with confidence that my money will actually be spent on the meat of the game instead of just getting some higher paid voice actors.

• srsbsns says:

Ever since Uplink was released I’ve fancied an Uplink-style hacking game with ARG-like info search and puzzle solving elements. I’m not talking about one of those concepts where it rings your mobile and texts you. But a hacking game with a believable fake computer interface. And a bit more interactivity.

With things like:
        A Google Map type interface where you can look at addresses and look for possible story locations e.g “why might so and so character have been going to this area?”.
        Spying on targets through taking control of a CCTV system.
        Paying in-game agents to follow people and report back on their movements.
        Hacking into bank records to find money trails.
        Hacking into personal or corporate PCs for evidence.
        Devising a heist for your agents to break into a locked down info location.

Basically, Uplink movie-style hacking mixed with spying and a strong mystery and deductive flavour. Finding clues and piecing them together. Not a game where every plot point is spelled out with all the subtlety of a welly to the face.

I don’t particularly want things like voice acting and mocap, but I’d like a fleshed out game world and an interesting story.

I don’t think Republique is that game though sadly.

5. ukpanik says:

“iOS version is now complete, sorry we had to bin the PC version. Thanks for your money tho”

• gunner1905 says:

They won’t bin it, but probably just gonna give you a shitty port (even shittier than normal console ports because this one is supposed to be a mobile touchscreen game)

6. gunner1905 says:

I don’t want to sound cynical but it seems that they were desperate and need to get more funding so they just pull out “Hey, here’s the game for PC,” and I’d bet that the finished PC game would be poor.

phlebas says:

When I looked yesterday (or it might have been the day before) the FAQ still insisted there wouldn’t be PC/Mac versions as the game would be designed from the ground up around the touch interface. They didn’t want to spoil the game with interface compromises. I guess now they’re getting desperate.
      It’s a shame – until now it sounded like a great project that there was no point backing because I don’t have an i*. Now it’s going to be on PC after all but I’m less excited about it.

• soco says:

I just noticed the funding levels too. Original funding level for the iOS version is $10. The new level for the PC/Mac version is $15.

I understand they they need time and money to put it on different platforms, but having to pay more for the PC version when they only added it to try and save the Kickstarter project irks me.

Maybe I’m being naive or asking too much. But that really rubs me the wrong way.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

Well, what would you do if you were hell-bent on getting on the kickstarter bandwagon?

Crimsoneer says:

I’m far, far too sceptical about this to justify giving these guys this much money. It sounds a hell of a lot like Amy.

Maybe I’m just a cynical bastard, but I’m not sure why I’d give them cash now, instead of waiting for the game to come out and see what the reviews are like. I doubt the full game will go for much more than 15 quid.

It’s a shame, because I really like their concept. But this feels more like charity than an investment, which is what good kickstarter campaigns make me feel like. I’m too young and unemployed to afford charity.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Considering how sceptical people can be about games which don’t rely on kickstarter-like means of funding.. I don’t find that odd, really.

Scepticism is a good attitude to bring to any kickstarter.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

I’m sceptical merely because they are offering the game on ios to backers. This is completely against apple’s guidelines, so good luck with that.

Edit:

While we can’t get into details, Apple representatives were kind enough to sit down with Alexei and I and explain a few distribution options to us. Ultimately, the distribution method will be decided post-funding, but we can assure you that you will get the game for your iOS device at launch!

8. Luke says:

Regardless of the choice of platform, the game itself does look pretty cool.

9. Buemba says:

I do hope this gets funded, but what does this means for the IOS version? If they get the $400.000 needed now would (And should) they focus on the PC and Mac versions in lieu of the iPhone version since most of the funding came from people interested in these?

Lars Westergren says:

>And isn’t there a risk of delivering 2 watered down versions of the game instead of a really good one now that they will be forced to split their attention and money on more than one platform?

Yes, that is a risk. They wanted to create one focused and polished version which is why they kept saying it was only iOS to begin with, though they acknowledged in updates that they were getting a huge number of requests for Android/Mac/PC versions. Had I had an iOS version to play it on I would have pledged quite a lot even back then. I think it looks sweet, and as Nathan says, it is nice with someone trying something new.

But when there was just over 2 weeks left, they had only raised 1/5 of the asked amount and they were only recieving trickles. So it was either staying true to the vision and having the Kickstarter fail, or taking the risk of making several versions.

After being mentioned going multi-platform, rate is going up, but it needs to increase more to have a chance with the two weeks remaining. Well, now they’ve been mentioned on RPS and Penny Arcade front pages at least, here’s hoping.

• Bhazor says:

If you’re talking about watering down a iOS game you’re talking about a homeopathic concentration of “game”.

• sebmojo says:

What nonsense. King of Dragon Pass? Avadon? The Baldurs Gates? Final Fantasy Tactics?

• Bhazor says:

So a pc port, another pc port, a third pc port and a ds port?

Lars Westergren says:

So? Still fine games, which supports his point that there are good games on iOS, if you know where to look. Mobile phones have been the domain of casual games for under a dollar, but that is clearly changing quickly, and more ambitious attempts should be applauded.

• Ragnar says:

All those good iOS games were designed for other systems (PC, PS1, PSP) and then much later ported to iOS. It shows that you can have good games on iOS, but they don’t represent iOS games as much as iOS exclusives or games that were designed for iOS from the start, such as Infinity Blade and Angry Birds. This is why the Republique project was interesting, in that it set out to make a good, deep, involving iOS game.

• datom says:

That’s like saying Saints Row III isn’t a good PC game because it wasn’t designed for the PC. It is unquestionable that iOS has an excellent range of games, ranging from bespoke platformers like League of Evil, The Quest for some first person Lands of Lore excellence, some fantastic board games conversions, and yes, great ports which end up much more worthwhile than their original PC counterparts because of the added benefits of them running on your phone. Monkey Island 2 on a handheld device? Brilliance, I say,

10. asshibbitty says:

It doesn’t look like much of anything for now. Innovation, where?

Wasn’t there a game like that on Gamecube or something, you controlled a girl indirectly by voice commands, cameras and all? Also, they overdid the non sexualized part, she looks like made-over Wendy from The Shining.

• Inigo says:

It was for the PS2 and it was called Lifeline.

phlebas says:

There was Experience 112 (aka The Experiment) on PC too. A weird mixture of brave, original design, interesting, lovingly detailed setting, tedious backtracking and horribly broken bugginess.

• Bhazor says:

Seeing that game actually made me cry.

I was planning a game where you had to guide someone through a underground base (or maybe a Oil Rig or something) where you could only communicate by using the electrics. So you’d open doors and she’d go through, you’d zoom in and out with the CCTV camera and she’d look where you were looking, she’d ask questions and you could respond by moving the camera up and down for yes and left and right for no. Eventually you’d guide her to a laser key chain and you’d be able to signal for her to strap it to the camera and use it to point out keys on a key pad.

I had it all planned out and then I see a video review of it some where.
        I mean its fucking uncanny and that makes me :(

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Then make it. And do it -better- (or different).

And, you know, even if someone else thought of it too and if yours isn’t better.. you still tried to make a concept you came up with a reality.

• asshibbitty says:

Curious fantasy.

a. In République, players become Big Brother: Hope’s protector.

b. Noticing Rio as she attempts to contact the monitor room, the player establishes contact through her headset, and assists her through the perils of the horrendous station.

c. he has to guide an ill woman by the name of Lea Nichols using surveillance monitors and various complex control systems.

phlebas says:

I can’t speak for the others, but that isn’t really how Experience 112 is pitched. It’s more about taking the ‘total fiction’ principle behind (for instance) the design of Uplink or Digital, where the player’s computer screen represents a computer screen and the game world is encountered entirely through a facsimile OS, and applying that to the point&click adventure genre. It does some brave and clever things.

11. Inigo says:

brilliantly talented folks who worked on Metal Gear Solid, Halo, and FEAR

And yet the best name they could come up with for their protagonist is “Hope”.

• Luke says:

As opposed to Solid Snake and Master Chief, which are brilliant names.

• sneetch says:

Well, it’s definitely an improvement, just not much. The idea of rescuing “Hope” from “a shadowy totalitarian state” is so…. I can’t remember the word, obvious, blatant, heavy handed. That’s going to drive me insane all day.

• Ragnar says:

That’s just setting you up for the shocking plot twist where rescuing Hope actually dooms you all.
          Either that, or her parents were hippies. There are few games who’s protagonists were raised by hippies, so that’s certainly exploring new territory.

Durkonkell says:

Master Chief was the character’s rank, not his name. Unfortunately, his name was “John 117″, which is why everyone called him by his rank instead.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

When Mr 117 loved Mrs 117 very much, the stork brought them a little power-armoured bundle of joy called John!

• Kryopsis says:

I know you guys are desperately trying to be funny on teh internetz but it’s part of Bungie’s unhealthy fascination with the New Testament.

“For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.”
            John 1:17

• Phantoon says:

FEAR is the only one of those games with a slightly original story. Halo was just the Discworld books, and Metal Gear Solid was all one guy putting together an insane, confusing plot.

Speaking of plots, why aren’t we talking about the world-class RPS Lawn of Devastation? Only lawn in the world legally allowed to have landmines on it.

• harmlos says:

“Discworld” ? Don’t remember any giant turtles (or elephants) in Halo. Surely you meant “Ringworld …

• Phasma Felis says:

“Halo was just the Discworld books”

So, you read that online somewhere and are just parroting it without knowing anything about the books, right? Or did you read a back-cover blurb somewhere and jump to conclusions?

1) You mean Ringworld.

2) The only thing Halo and Ringworld have in common is that they both involve a mysterious ring habitat built by a vanished race. The purposes of the rings and the plots of the stories are completely different. The Halo in the game is just one of a vast network; the Ringworld is singular, and is literally millions of times larger than the Halo. Ringworld’s characters are intentional explorers; Halo’s characters are soldiers who stumble on it by accident. I could go on.

12. Godwhacker says:

From the pitch:

“Feature a believable, non-sexualized female lead
    Explore heavy topics, say something meaningful”

Watching the video, she might not be ‘sexualised’ but she’s clearly a useless, victim character that you have to protect with your big man hands. And ‘explore heavy topics’ seems to mean yet another re-reading of 1984- you know, the bit about how Big Brother is all oppressive and that’s like really bad because of freedoms of speeches and that.

I think I’ll give it a miss, thanks.

• Jamesworkshop says:

big man hands?

What if a woman is the one playing

• Godwhacker says:

Big woman hands then. Point is she still coming over as a dainty little girly-girl who can’t do anything herself.

phlebas says:

An interesting counterpoint to current FPS trends where (at least in single-player) you play a manly-man who can’t do anything himself.

• Bhazor says:

I like to imagine the main characters in ‘those’ shooters are really just a floating gun. It would certainly improve the dialog somewhat.

• sneetch says:

I like to think that they’re actually Victorian ladies and that’s why they need a man to open doors for them.

• Skabooga says:

@sneetch: I think you just won the internet.

13. sneetch says:

Hmmmm…. so for the same money they think they can produce a game custom designed for touch devices and also custom designed for PC and Mac? I’m kinda sceptical that they can deliver on this.

14. CaLe says:

I thought when I first saw this that I’d fund it if it were a PC game. Now that it is, I don’t feel like funding it. Weird that.

15. Lemming says:

Speaking of kicksters, Nekro looks like it’s going to fail which is a shame:

Nekro gameplay

Really surprised this one didn’t get some coverage, although I don’t think their marketing has been particularly well thought out.

• sneetch says:

Their apparent call for people to spam game sites didn’t do them any favours. That’s another Kickstarter I was very doubtful about, I mean they’re promising a hell of a lot for the pledges and I don’t know, there’s something vaguely… unbelievable about the game.

• Hoaxfish says:

Comparing to the games they name-check:
      Myth: The Fallen Lords – too cartoony compare to myth, no apparent “rank and file” type combat
      Giants: Citizen Kabuto – not really much similarities in apparent gameplay, no one-man giant stompy army mode, naked blue chick, or boozey alien holidayers.
      Dungeon Keeper – again, doesn’t seem to have much relation beyond “the player is an evil overlord”

I find it visually off-putting, somewhere between WoW and Spawn (everything bulges or bends unnaturally, except the pigs), so honestly I didn’t delve too deep into their project… so maybe it does have elements of those games, and what made them special.

Craymen Edge says:

I can’t remember, is this the one where they’re trying to raise part of the money via Kickstarter to convince investors there’s a market for their kind of game on iOS?

In other words, the kickstarter amount isn’t enough to do what they’re promising, and where the rest of the money is coming from is shaky at best.

• Henson says:

Yes, this is the one.

“We estimate that République will cost north of $1 million to complete. After months of meetings and due diligence, we believe that we can raise the necessary additional funds to complete République from potential outside investors, but there is some risk that our efforts will be unsuccessful. Before we enter into any financial agreements, we want to prove through Kickstarter that there is a market for a serious AAA mobile game. ”

I just plain don’t like this. Then again, this is pretty much how publishers have to approach projects, as serious risks, but as the end customer, should I be expected to take those same risks? In any case, it doesn’t lend confidence in the crowdsourcing method of funding, which is rather a shame.

• Emeraude says:

If anything, I’d say quite the contrary. If I’m to look at the way it worked with boardgames (brand new ones, not resurrections of old cardboard monsters), you can see that investors replied far more favorably to projects which already had enough iterations to prove the interest of the product to be.

Right now République looks like an interesting concept of a game. But one that has failed in implementation so far when it was attempted. At the same time, it’s trying to test the waters for a new market which decidedly doesn’t seem mature enough for that kind of financing (at least as far as that kind of software is concerned).

Two risks, the second one seems to have been proved by experience (at least in appearance), and there’s still nothing to alleviate doubts about the first. I’d say not investing in this project right now seems to me the smart thing.

17. Shortwave says:

It couldn’t of hurt them to talk more about the game in their video.
    TBH, I was expected to read this article and see the video and know what the game was about at least.
    Still don’t know.. But since I read “Metal Gear Solid” in the list of projects people have been involved with I suppose I’ll go google it and see what it’s about.

Siresly says:

Calling it innovative is perhaps not technically true, but it’s certainly a unique and interesting concept. And I have enough faith in these people to deliver something that’s worth $15+5. Or $10 or whatever if you’re so inclined.

One thing of potential concern though is, they’ve added PC and MAC versions, but the funding they’re asking for hasn’t changed.

19. ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

Love the Swedish sauna concept for the video (or are they lying down on a wooden floor?). Either way, a splendid touch.

And kudos for incorporating a slightly anaemic Gordon Freeman at 1:53. Perhaps a hint at crowbarring it onto PC?

20. Terragot says:

Non sexualised? Get the fuck out of here. I’ve yet to see a woman with that figure, that perfect complexion, those symmetrical features, that subtle make-up, all rolled into one around my area. She looks like a Hollywood hottie in a hoody.

If they wanted to push the non sexualised character part then give her some real blemishes at least.

• Oof says:

Indeed. I become slightly irate when Hollywood tries to pull this twaffle, and doubley so with any other effort. Shame on you, Camouflaj.

• f1x says:

The non-sexualized part is just there to appeal to a certain market to be honest, else they wouldnt even need to mention it

Actually it would’ve been much better if they didnt mention that, considering the monster that is the gaming community

• Terragot says:

It’s just something no developer has done, use a real down to earth face, a natural look, yet all the companies under the sun claim to have no sexualised characters.

Even things like left 4 dead use professionally models and actors who have beautiful features to be the faces of their characters. Rochelle is a fine example, that girl is nigh flawless.

I’d just like one developer to give me a truly natural character, someone I can look at and think, yeah I could she her carrying her Tesco shop down the street.

As Ironic as it sounds, I’d imagine this kind of ‘bland’ character design would actually be quite eye catching, and good for an industry who, for some strange reason, constantly compares itself with mediums it has no similarities in – film, music, books, the cat walk – when it should be taking examples from more interactive experiences – like architecture, history & geography.

[edit]

I also had a friend who is studying photography and – for unknown reasons – his lecturer started discussing beyond good and evil’s protagonist as a realistic adaptation of a female character. but even beyond good and evil’s protagonist is neutral in appearance when the comparison comes with hollywood and video games. In the real world she would break many a heart.

• theleif says:

I’m not sure you understand what sexualized means. It has really nothing to do with whether the person is beautiful or not, nor the shape of the body. It is about camera angles, poses, personality, story and intent, i.e the presentation. You can sexualize an ugly character just as easily as a beautiful character.
      The fact that generally speaking, only “evil” characters in any media, be it games, movies or comics are allowed to have a face or body that deviates from the current ideal is a different topic, albeit related. The good “monster” is after all an exclusively male role.

21. aerozol says:

Aaawwkwaaaaard.

22. srsbsns says:

I love the tags on this post. Magnifique! Fantastique!

The company name too–Camouflaj. No one on the team thought those names sounded ridiculous?

I understand wanting to open this up to PC and Mac when it looked like they weren’t going to hit their target. But – I sound like a graphics whore, sorry! – those visuals are poor for a PC game. Look at the Hope model. The facial animation and texture quality is sub Half-Life 2. If they had a unique art style (like DX:HR for example with their stylised models and low detail textures) I’d be more forgiving, but the look of the game isn’t very inspiring for a non-mobile platform.

Also, watching the project video I don’t really get how the gameplay works. It looks like a giant QTE with 3D characters on pre-rendered backdrops punctated by the odd finger swipe instead of ABYX.

This sounds so negative and I don’t mean to be completely down on this project as some aspects of it look interesting. I just…there’s something about the tone of this project that doesn’t make me want to back it.

Unlike The Banner Saga where I was practically thowing money at the screen.

phlebas says:

The stuff that’s currently on the page is for a mobile game. They’ve only just decided to do the PC version – I’d be very disappointed if they didn’t tighten up the graphics a lot for that.

Durkonkell says:

I like this Nathan chap and his word-writing. I laughed at “but then you rudely went and exploded.”

24. InternetBatman says:

I was really unimpressed by the trailer (the original one, not the linked one). The game looks too cinematic for my tastes, so much so that they gave it movie credits and it has a director. Maybe that’s just part of the genre, but it’s not the kind of project I would want to support.

25. Apples says:

This is interesting because although the main character is not overtly sexualised, the trailer has some themes of sexualisation and objectification and you can read a lot into it. The words they chose to prominently lead with were “VOYEURISM” (which pretty firmly throws the theme into the realm of sexuality – voyeurism is definitely a different concept than observation) and “CONTROL”, followed by gameplay descriptors like “STEALTH” and “SURVIVAL”, placing the first two words into the realm of “what the player does” rather than “what the oppressors do”. I guess the constant scrutiny of the security cameras etc could tie into male gaze and the female escape from what looks like majoritively male enemies could be read as a (rubbish and shallow) feminist idea, if the player wasn’t invited to be implicated in it and to ‘become’ the male gaze and patronisingly use it to help the otherwise helpless woman (she does not have the power to destroy or subvert those tools/institutions herself). The female character is also cast as the abstract ‘object’ of hope rather than an individual.

Or I guess it could just be a stealth game with a female character.

26. Emeraude says:

Conflicted on that one. I’d love to back up the project, if only because Lifeline never was enough by itself to convince me whether it failed because of technology, implementation, or because the control scheme isn’t viable.
    And – though I’d never get to play it – I kind of liked the dedicated iOS approach. I think the DS proved both the limits and the interests of tactile screen control schemes, and seeing them expanded and explored further cannot be a bad thing – if done sensibly.

But the whole project seems to be too nebulous/undefined so far, and their communication has raised more doubt/killed more enthusiasm than they seem to realize.. They clearly have something to show of their work. I think they should.

27. deadly.by.design says:

What I got from the video was this:

1) We had this idea for a great iOS game, so we asked for money
    2) People said, “Hey, make it for the PC/Mac instead!”
    3) They listened, and are now realizing “As neat as handheld devices are, this whole PC thing souds like a much richer experience.”

3a) Our dev team is full of hipsters (with the possible exception of the guy who mentioned “keyboard/mouse input”)

28. Dizzard says:

It’s nice to see RPS sticking to their “no kickstarter except big names” policy.

This game seems all flash and little substance to me. (although it would help if we knew more about the game mechanics)