Arm Yourself: Ubisoft Confirms Rayman Legends

By Nathan Grayson on April 28th, 2012 at 11:00 am.

Believe me: it looks much, much better in motion.
In retrospect, it’d be kind of silly to name a game “Origins” and then bury the franchise immediately afterward, wouldn’t it? And so, somewhat unsurprisingly, Ubisoft’s given an official magically levitating thumbs-up to all the Rayman scuttlebutt that’s been floating around for the past couple days. Specifically, the game’s called Rayman Legends, and – true to the leaked screenshots and video (after the break, courtesy of Gamekult) – it takes place in a pleasantly painterly fantasy land. That said, Ubisoft cautions that those materials were intended for internal use only and “in NO way” represent the final game. So, for all we know, it could take place in space or (fingers crossed) a 1940s black-and-white detective film before it’s all said and done.

In response, Ubisoft was sure to note that ”this video was destined for internal production teams who often create game prototypes with work in progress development kits. Ubisoft confirms the development of Rayman Legends handled by Michel Ancel and his team in Montpellier.”

To the first part: yes, I can believe that. In my experience, SOCIAL FEATURES and EPIC RENDERING ENGINES rarely reduce fans to frothily gushing piles of mush. To the second bit: awesome! Well, mostly. I fear this means we probably won’t see Beyond Good and Evil 2 until rabid fans kidnap Michel Ancel and (perhaps somewhat literally) Kickstart the project – mostly with money, but also maybe with a few kicks. Regardless, Origins was delightful – not to mention refreshingly tough-as-nails – so more along those lines is hardly a bad thing. Now then, can we maybe get it on the same day as everyone else this time?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Syra says:

Lol looks awfully like a fully edited trailer for a ‘work in progress prototype’ for internal production…

• MadTinkerer says:

But with music from Back To The Future, among other things.

I’m thinking bits of this will turn up in official trailers down the road, but parts of it seem rather work-in-progress. Only one “new playable characters” and the parts with put-a-figurine-on-the-Wii-U-pad-to-make-stuff-happen, as examples.

• zeekthegeek says:

What, you expect them to not quickly edit together footage for prototypes, to show off to their bosses? Pretty sure that’s how EVERY studio does that sort of thing.

2. Njordsk says:

Seriously the end of Rayman Origin gave me some serious tension pikes. It was a good game, but that was stressing.

3. ZIGS says:

Same day as everyone else? An Ubisoft title?

4. Sirbolt says:

Good news! I thought Rayman Origins actually was quite a bit awesome in all it’s platformy glory. At least when playing it on my console-box-thing.

5. ThatGuy says:

I dunno if it’s just me, but Rayman: Scuttlebutt sounds like a far more interesting title than another generic “Title: Noun”.

OT, I am happy that it was enough of a success to bring Rayman back from his shallow grave, shame it most probably won’t be out on PC for a good while after console release, really doesn’t do much to help PC sales, especially with no real graphical improvements between them.

• Snidesworth says:

True, but the knowledge that there will be a PC version should. I grabbed Origins for the PS3 because as far as I knew there wasn’t going to be one. With Legends I’ll gladly hold out for a few months until it arrives on PC.

• zeekthegeek says:

Sure beats “Whatever 2: Electric Boogaloo” . What the hell else are they going to call a sequel?

6. Soon says:

Have they been watching Chasseurs de Dragons?

• RedViv says:

I think I faintly remember that some people who worked on that (brilliant) show were also involved somewhere in the Rayman series. Would not be surprising.

7. apocraphyn says:

“It’d be kind of silly to name a game “Origins” and then bury the franchise immediately afterward, wouldn’t it?”

Seems Ubisoft are a bit more sensible than Bioware, eh?

8. YourMessageHere says:

Rayman: Lemons?

or perhaps Rayman: Legumes

9. Max says:

More Rayman please! R:O was so very lovely. And BG&E … it was great, can’t we just leave it be? Sequels of long dormant franchises come to exist only to disappoint.

10. ScottHarrigan says:

This is exciting news as Rayman Origins gave the gaming community what it hadn’t had in quite some time, a truly amazing platformer. The game was amazing in game play, art design, and sillyness that Rayman is known for. The signs for this sequel are all positive so far. This was a game that truly lived up to its trailer, that is delivering everything it promised.

I’d be surprised if the sequel is not at least a decent game.

Comment on this story