Make A Sad, Sad Song: Anna’s Music

By Adam Smith on April 30th, 2012 at 5:50 pm.

Which is the evil mask? That's the puzzle.

Sunny yet sinister adventure Anna takes place in and around one of the most impressively realised houses I’ve ever seen in a game and, as I’ve previously noted, it also has at least one exquisite rock in it. A new video shows that bags of cement are rendered with equal care. This footage isn’t about the visuals though, it’s about mood, atmosphere and music. Horror doesn’t necessarily mean angry industrial scrapings and clankings, it can also be the child of melancholy and soundtracked as such.

This looks more interesting every time I see, hear or read about it.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Greggh says:

And now my afternoon is having a creepy outlook

2. Kaira- says:

Well, the music sounds very good. I am hoping the game will be as good.

• gnodab says:

Wow the beginning sounds exactly like Näkin Laula from Tenhi…

3. Eclipse says:

Best rock and bags of cement ever. The rest seems very interesting too

4. smeaa mario says:

I am not really a big fan of the genre but Anna has surely caught my attention.

5. Jason Moyer says:

I’ve always wondered why no one tried making a horror game set in a single location Evil Dead 2 style. This looks really neat.

• asshibbitty says:

Try Scratches.

• Khemm says:

Holy hell what an awesome game it is. Can’t wait for Asylum from the same team.

• Kaira- says:

Yeah, Scratches was awesome. Also you could kinda include Darkness Within, it happens in one town and you have a few areas you can visit.

• Guhndahb says:

Scratches was definitely a good’un. One event during it (I won’t elaborate for obvious reasons) was the scariest gaming event for me ever and I consider that event both brilliant and forever etched on my brain. Of course, I couldn’t play more than 10 minutes of Amnesia. I didn’t even reach a monster, I was too scared of the monster I was anticipating. :)

• brulleks says:

Personally I preferred Rhiannon:Curse of the Four Branches as far as creepy-isolated-house-adventure-games go.

Scratches had woefully atmosphere-draining voice overs, a protagonist that was forced to make ridiculous decisions by the narrative and puzzles that required the psychic ability to guess when it was time to phone-a-friend or make huge leaps into the developers’ particular brand of ‘logic’.

The game was really amateurish in setting up its puzzles. Also, it not only required you to push a key out of a door from the other side and pull it through on a newspaper (aaargh) but insisted that the pencil you had would in no way fit into the keyhole while a braddle, which looked about the same size yet was much harder to find, would (aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrghhh).

And the pixel-hunt frustration that constituted the gravedigging puzzle was just an utter abortion. No no no no no.

The more I think about it the more I wish there was a way of permanently deleting games from my Steam account.

6. Harvey says:

My horror-loving wife will surely enjoy forcing me to play through this while she watches…(gulp) at least the music is good.

I still haven’t recovered from Amnesia

7. asshibbitty says:

They have some nice reference photos of the real house on their blog, so there’s no excuse for the *3DMark 2001 forest scene* look. In fact, they could just use panorama pictures of that location for the game, now that would’ve been a mature choice.

Music sounds vaguely SH3-ish, the premise is a lost relative/loved one I assume? I am interested, there aren’t that many Italian games.

8. sub-program 32 says:

I got a bit of an Eversion vibe from those alternate fireplace pictures.

9. bear912 says:

Hmm. That was rather pleasing music.

10. Muzman says:

Dear Esthnesia?

11. Bhazor says:

So it’s a game based on the Room from Silent Hill 4: The Room. I genuinely mean it when I say that sounds great. Loved the idea of that game and thought it really could have been fleshed out more in interesting ways if they didn’t have to keep on going into the crappy other world.

• Shooop says:

Awwwww yeah. It was the worst game of the first 4 but still an above-average game. Man I miss Team Silent.

12. Shooop says:

Honestly, this particular trailer doesn’t do the early appeal of this game justice guys.
    They’ve got an AI behind the scenes that pays attention to how you interact with the world and decides what to do based on that.

I’m intrigued. And if they have the right music it can be mind-numbingly tense. I can still remember the first few notes of RE2′s Police Station…

13. Eukatheude says:

I’m italian and his accent is really weird.