Minerva’s Decree: Lo, The Fullbright Company Is Formed

By Alec Meer on April 30th, 2012 at 6:50 pm.

So the first game will be about a sentient light bulb?

Just a quick one as a) I don’t have much information for you as yet and b) I managed to hit my head on my own desk really hard earlier and need a lie down, but I thought perhaps some of you would be interested to hear news on The Fullbright Company, aka what the lead designer of the excellent Minerva’s Den add-on for BioShock 2 did next.

After working on assorted BioShocks at 2K Marin and then Irrational, Steve ‘Fullbright’ Gaynor got back together with fellow ex-Marin types and Minerva collaborators Johnnemann Nordhagen and Karla Zimonja, and they’ve set up this new indie studio based out of Portland, Oregon. “We missed working on a small team, on a small project, focused on telling a personal story in a player-driven way. We wanted to do that again. It was fun last time.”

While details on their first game are currently as scarce as sympathy and understanding in internet comments threads, what we do know pairs up with the team’s pedigree to hopefully suggest something rather special. It will be a “firstperson noncombat game for PC, all about exploring a place & discovering what happened there.” Non-combat! That’s word I like the sound of. Exploring and discovering are pretty good too.

Anyway, more details on the Fullbright Company may be found here, and hopefully words and pictures about this here game will follow shortly. My guess is they’ll lose their nerve before too long and fill it with QTEs, sequences where you watch NPCs open doors for you and slo-mo killcams, but let’s give ‘em the benefit of the doubt, eh?

Oh, and you may also recognise Mister Gaynor’s name from Idle Thumbs or his guest writing for us back when we celebrating 10 years of Deus Ex.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Bluerps says:

They’ll probably also add boss fights. Gotta have boss fights.

Hope your head gets better soon!

• Vorphalack says:

As long as they are non-combat boss fights which test our ability to kill with the power of reason alone, i’m down with that.

2. Paul says:

Steve Gaynor is a great designer and my favourite Idle Thumb by far. Him going indie and working on Dear-Esther-like stuff is just fantastic news.

3. HexagonalBolts says:

‘While details on their first game are currently as scarce as sympathy and understanding in internet comments threads’ – This. This is why I read Rock Paper Shotgun, nowhere else in the entire world can you find that distinct flavour of writing.

4. JP says:

These are talented people. Look forward to something great, citizens of RPS!

5. Wedge says:

Portland? There’s no game developers here! I should go see if they want any local feedback testing it… once it is a thing… and all. Non-violent FPery things are always interesting to me.

• Davie says:

Indeed! I don’t know yet if I’ll have any interest in their projects, but it’s nice to know there are developers working out of Portland. Maybe we’ll have some sort of indie dev explosion, which would be highly appropriate, all things considered.

• Fidelicatessen says:

The indie dev community just hasn’t discovered Portland’s food carts, yet. Once they do, there will be an explosion. It’s bound to be messy. I recommend taking cover underneath a bridge.

Any other P-towners in the RPS house?

6. JP says:

Tiny pointless clarification: only Steve is ex-Irrational; Johnnemann and Karla are ex-Marin.

- JP LeBreton, guy who worked with ‘em (hired Steve even!)

7. NathanH says:

You only complain when you hit your head on the Ubisoft desk, not when you hit your head on the Valve or Blizzard desks. Have you no shame?

8. Jason Moyer says:

Minerva’s Den was great, can’t wait to see what they’re working on.

9. Gabbo says:

So ‘Hot Scoops’ had been setting up his own independent company, glad I wasn’t mistaken.

10. A-Scale says:

Correction- Steve “Hot Scoops” Gaynor

11. Meldreth says:

On a totally side note, what ever happened to that second post about Dishonored, regarding its style ?
    Not that you owe it to us, but well, anything about Dishonored makes me very excited. And re-re-reading previous stuff about it does little to calm me, I’m afraid. And I suppose I’m not the only one in this situation. But anyway, looking forward to reading your additional thoughts on the game.

12. Kleppy says:

Hopefully this will not affect any future hot scoops directly to our collective faces.

13. LuNatic says:

Damn, I was hoping for a Minerva: Metastasis update.

• Wonko the Sane says:

That’s the first thing I thought too :(

I fear Adam Foster is too busy making ARGs for Valve (in one of the alternate realities, HL3 gets released )

• phuzz says:

Indeed, he’s not just working to Valve time, he has to fit Minerva in around Valve time. :(

14. Oak says:

First-person non-combat PC games about exploration? I guess the dream of the 90s really is alive in Portland.

15. Quarex says:

I do not know that it is going to matter for legal purposes, but given what a huge deal the joint US Government/Academia/Private Sector collaboration the Fulbright Program is, it kind of makes me wonder if they will end up politely asking this company to change its name regardless.

Comment on this story