End Of The Beginning: Nebulous Hero’s Ace… Tutorial?

By Nathan Grayson on May 1st, 2012 at 9:30 am.

Nothing to see here.

Nebulous Hero is one of the Molyjam games I actually had the pleasure of sharing a building with. Granted, this building also contained hundreds of other developers grinding their bones and brains to make bread for the collective Molyjam table, so I sadly never had the chance to take it for a test drive. During the end-of-show presentation, though, it may very well have been the coolest thing I saw. In short, the tutorial comes after the credits. So you start off by playing a traditional hop ‘n’ bop platformer, and then… well, let’s just say it’s not. It’s really, really not. I don’t want to spoil it, but – for those of you without the time or means to experience this bite-sized piece of brilliance – I’ve posted a screenshot that sums it up after the break.

I LIED THERE WAS PLENTY TO SEE THERE.

And it gets even better from there. That, you see, is only the first tutorial. By the end, well, it could scarcely even be considered the same genre anymore. Basically, it’s silly, silly brilliance, which is unsurprisingly my favorite kind. Try it out, and – even if you skipped straight to my screenshot – make sure to go wide-eyed with shame and shout “What have I done?” after your first playthrough. Why did you destroy the things you loved and turn them into tiny, adorably sad ghosts? What’s wrong with you?

Thanks, Free Indie Games.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. RichardW says:

Hey, thanks for the posting! The link floating around to download our game is a temporary drop-box link we used when the MolyJam site had some issues. Here is a much more permanent one!

Thank you!

2. MondSemmel says:

So, uh, the download game button on that page doesn’t work (it’s kind of “blued out” – greyed out but still blue). Do I have to register on that site or something, or is there no actual download option?
    EDIT: I was too slow. Thanks for the answer, RichardW!

3. lordcooper says:

That was definitely something a bit special.

4. konrad_ha says:

That was great!

5. MadTinkerer says:

The first bit has been done a couple times before (Oh noes! They were never your enemy, you cruel bastard!), but this went a bit further and to a more special place, I think.

Sagan says:

It’s interesting. People don’t pay attention to this because it’s such a boring game at the beginning. But that’s precisely the concept.

So I guess they doomed themselves to apathy. Just look at the amount of comments here…

But the game is great. Really enjoyed it.

7. Josh W says:

Pretty amusing game, just the sort of thing to make me go “ooh there’s this game, actually I can’t tell you anything about it”, and wind up my friends.

8. Daniel Klein says:

This is so cute. For a moment I thought it would become fiddly, with ever more restrictive demands on each play-through, but it turns out there’s really no fail condition and you’ll pretty much automatically get the (gorgeous) end credits.