End Of The Beginning: Nebulous Hero’s Ace… Tutorial?

By Nathan Grayson on May 1st, 2012 at 9:30 am.

Nothing to see here.

Nebulous Hero is one of the Molyjam games I actually had the pleasure of sharing a building with. Granted, this building also contained hundreds of other developers grinding their bones and brains to make bread for the collective Molyjam table, so I sadly never had the chance to take it for a test drive. During the end-of-show presentation, though, it may very well have been the coolest thing I saw. In short, the tutorial comes after the credits. So you start off by playing a traditional hop ‘n’ bop platformer, and then… well, let’s just say it’s not. It’s really, really not. I don’t want to spoil it, but – for those of you without the time or means to experience this bite-sized piece of brilliance – I’ve posted a screenshot that sums it up after the break.

I LIED THERE WAS PLENTY TO SEE THERE.

And it gets even better from there. That, you see, is only the first¬†tutorial. By the end, well, it could scarcely even be considered the same genre anymore. Basically, it’s silly, silly brilliance, which is¬†unsurprisingly my favorite kind. Try it out, and – even if you skipped straight to my screenshot – make sure to go wide-eyed with shame and shout “What have I done?” after your first playthrough. Why did you destroy the things you loved and turn them into tiny, adorably sad ghosts? What’s wrong with you?

Thanks, Free Indie Games.

, .

1. RichardW says:

Hey, thanks for the posting! The link floating around to download our game is a temporary drop-box link we used when the MolyJam site had some issues. Here is a much more permanent one!

Thank you!

2. MondSemmel says:

So, uh, the download game button on that page doesn’t work (it’s kind of “blued out” – greyed out but still blue). Do I have to register on that site or something, or is there no actual download option?
    EDIT: I was too slow. Thanks for the answer, RichardW!

3. lordcooper says:

That was definitely something a bit special.

4. konrad_ha says:

That was great!

5. MadTinkerer says:

The first bit has been done a couple times before (Oh noes! They were never your enemy, you cruel bastard!), but this went a bit further and to a more special place, I think.

Sagan says:

It’s interesting. People don’t pay attention to this because it’s such a boring game at the beginning. But that’s precisely the concept.

So I guess they doomed themselves to apathy. Just look at the amount of comments here…

But the game is great. Really enjoyed it.

7. Josh W says:

Pretty amusing game, just the sort of thing to make me go “ooh there’s this game, actually I can’t tell you anything about it”, and wind up my friends.

8. Daniel Klein says:

This is so cute. For a moment I thought it would become fiddly, with ever more restrictive demands on each play-through, but it turns out there’s really no fail condition and you’ll pretty much automatically get the (gorgeous) end credits.