Hats, Tea & Urban Regeneration: Fallen City

By Jim Rossignol on May 1st, 2012 at 2:30 pm.

I was the main inspiration for this character.
Hello, you. This is part news, part disclaimer. The disclaimer part is that this is a game I can’t be impartial about, because I helped make it. In my spare time I help run a little indie dev outfit called Big Robot. At the end of 2010 we were commissioned by Channel 4 Education to make a game about cities, which we have done. This post is about that game. It’s called Fallen City and you can play it for free, right here for Mac and Windows. The game is intended to inspire school-age Britons think about cities, and as such the game is perhaps not quite intended for the very mature and serious RPS audience. That said, it’s full, free game, so perhaps you might want to take a look. In more familiar terms, it’s a puzzle game with an RTS interface. We talked about it in a bit more detail over here.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Maldomel says:

I will play it. Actually, I will play anything if a RPS writer is involved.

2. sinister agent says:

SELLOUTS OMG.

Wait, aimed at children, you say? At last, a game for me!

• Berzee says:

Indeed,
      a game for children?
      Just the game for me.
      Indeed.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Ever since the rise of Pixar the qualification ‘for children’ has made me more interested instead of less.

‘You know… for kids!’

• Berzee says:

Is that quote a reference to The Hudsucker Proxy?
        If so: goodness me!

• Xercies says:

Or it might be a quote from The Nostalgia Critic who quoted it from Hudsucker Proxy. Either way Good!

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I’d never heard of the Nostalgia Critic, so I guess I’ll have to check that out. :)

• RedViv says:

I stopped caring about that label with Nickelodeon’s big shows in the 90s, and even more with the following Warner stuff. Pixar merely brought it to the big screen.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

It’s definitely a 90s thing, yes. Cartoon Network had something to do with it as well. Possibly the MTV cartoons too. And let’s not forget anime, which also got bigger around that time. There was lots of stuff going on in that period, so I’m not sure there’s one single thing you could point to that made it happen. Hmm… Ren & Stimpy, maybe?

• Eddy9000 says:

Have you seen some of those 1920′s cartoons? I’d say animation started as an adult medium and then got kiddified!

3. simonh says:

Wow, they’ve got some nice file servers on Channel 4, my download reached 11 Megabytes/second!
    Hopefully the game will be equally impressive, though I’m not sure if any game could really compete with 11 Megabytes/second.

4. Freud says:

Does it have choice and consequence, branching storylines and the possibility for same sex sex?

5. Some_Guy says:

Bet you paid yourself to write about this, realy selling out here. :P

6. ReV_VAdAUL says:

A game for children that (almost) has a Le Cobusier quote as the first line of its’ description?

Looking forward to giving this a go.

7. Ross Angus says:

I don’t know what I feel about this: the city starts out like Pripiat, all beautiful and destroyed, and you have to make it normal again. It’s the anti-S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

8. wodin says:

I’ll get my daughter to check it out.

• JB says:

Suuuuuure, your daughter.

I’ll get my “daughter” to check it out too.

(No, I kid. I really will get her to check it out, I have 2 of the little blighters)

9. Urthman says:

I love that your artist(s) came up with a whole new way to create adorable characters. I already love those cute little exclamation points.

10. Urthman says:

That opening cinematic is great. I love that Tallis/Vaughn Williams music. I suppose it’s more famous on your side of the pond. We don’t hear it much over here.

Also I love that your artist(s) managed to come up with a novel way to make adorable characters. They look like cute little exclamation points!

11. Skabooga says:

Won’t somebody please think of the chil . . . err, carry on.

12. Phantoon says:

More games need “RUINED!” in giant letters on your screen.

13. Rikard Peterson says:

I’ve now played through the first (tutorial) level. Lovely music and animation in the introduction video! The game itself seems nice, but it’s too early to tell.

14. phenom_x8 says:

I’ve been downloaded the game and play the early level about 3 days ago. I love the guitar tune in one of the red angry’s skill. Lovely. But they way they talk reminds me of the teletubbies (I don’t know if you do this on purpose) that quite popular british children TV show 8 years ago in my country.
    Oh, and one more thing, why it cannot be saved on my PC. Everytime I start the game it’s always ask me to enter my name and repeat the tutorial. Is it a bug? or I have to save it manually everytime I play (no autosave)??

15. Burning Man says:

Free games?

EXCELLENT.

16. Cunzy1 1 says:

My first thought upon seeing that image?

It looks like the guys from Castle Crashers and Shy Guys from the Mushroom Kingdom have been inter breeding.

Time to take a break from the internet for a while I think. Priorities all out of whack. I’ll be enjoying memes next.

17. eldwl says:

Just sat and played it from start to finish. What a lovely little game. Oh, and now I want curry on tap…

Comment on this story