The Free To Play Quake III Is Now Slightly More Free

By Alec Meer on May 1st, 2012 at 6:30 pm.

This is one of Jim's old screenshots, so don't blame the pitiful 8th ranking on me

I entirely forgot about Quake Live, which is a strange to do. There’s often lamention around these parts that id’s Quakes and Dooms haven’t been entirely well-treated in recent years, and yet there is browser-based Quake III re-release Quake Live alive and well and I believe relatively popular. And free to play. If you’ve held off exploring the not-free elements until now, you have a chance to nose at it without cracking open that much-abused wallet. From now until May 6 2012, which by my maths is 312 years, 4 months and five days away, you can sample all the ‘premium’ bits, bobs, modes and maps for no-pennies. If you’re already paying for premium or pro and God now I’m really confused subscriptions, you’ll get a code for one or two free weeks of free sub to apologise for the great unwashed hordes getting all up in your fancy-pants paid grill.

Premium’s usually 41893.799999999999999999 StroggBucks, or $1.99, per month, and includes the following things. I apologise for how often the word ‘premium’ is used, but I didn’t bally write it, right?

Access to over 50 QUAKE LIVE Premium only maps. Premium maps are a combination of brand new maps and frequently requested community favorites from previous QUAKE games such as Aerowalk, Overkill, Japanese Castles, and Spider Crossings.
Exclusive premium level awards.
Create your own clan and join up to five separate clans.
Access to Premium Scoreboards and Statistics in-game.
Match statistics stored for six months.
Premium Pak 12 updated content.

And Pro is $3.99 per month and… ah! I understand now. That’s like Premium-Premium. Specifically, means you can specify your own serve and manage clans, that sort of thing. That’s still ring-fenced off to the paying elite, though.

So, to summarise, five free days of Premium Quake Live from now, Pro is still paid, and foxes are a beautiful if admittedly troublesome animal that I wish humans didn’t try to kill. Ooh, political.

Full-er details here.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Phantoon says:

Foxes are dumb. No one keeps them as pets, so we should be free to exterminate them.

• jerkstoresup says:

Let’s instead congregate them to subway stations, because they look adorable scampering around with a fat dead rodent in their mouth.

• Cooper says:

Yeah!

Fuck the Foxes!
      Fuck the Penguins!
      Fuck the stupid not-fucking-enough-to-keep-their-numbers-up Pandas too!

All idiot things that you wouldn’t want around the house (and they don’t even taste nice!): let’s get rid of the lot of ‘em.

• Unaco says:

(and they don’t even taste nice!)

Foxes and Penguins I’ll give you. But Pandas? Pandas make for some good eating.

• GT3000 says:

Yes. Yes, calm down. We’re working on it.

• Det says:

I heard they have nice fur.
        Maybe we should keep a bunch locked up in some sort of dystopian sustained containment ensuring a certain population while harvesting their extra offsprings for skin and force them to breed according to fur quality, among other things.
        There should be a kickstarter for this.

• Highstorm says:

Foxes are the best animal and I would very much like to have one or six for a pet.

2. Uglycat says:

The new scoreboard is nice, but I’m beginning to suspect that people are xtra-lightning-gunning to gain the dmg points…

3. TomSmizzle says:

I had a dream last night that a fox licked my armpit.

4. Crimsoneer says:

I wish they’d let you pay monthly. Or at least 6-monthly. It’s so cheap I’d throw money at it just because, but I don’t want to have a yearly sub…

5. Fiwer says:

Quake Live is the worst. I wouldn’t mind throwing them a few bucks here and there for a couple of new maps, but paying a subscription fee for a 12 year old game that I’ve bought at least 4 times? No thanks.

6. Commander Gun says:

Good memories of the Insta-gib matches…
    However, i play Tribes Ascend now and it is sooooooooooooooo much better than this and free too, although a small purchase to get the perma-xp boost is very smart to do :)

7. Jim Rossignol says:

RPS game of this from 8pm UK on Thursday. Will post some details tomorrow.

8. ResonanceCascade says:

I recently got back into this game. Even got a subscription, since Quake 3 makes my computer cry sad, multicolored tears, and I like to be able to control who I’m playing with. Great game.

9. mckertis says:

“or $1.99, per month”

OR you could play Q3:TA for $free.99 per month.
    I dont know why would you play any number Quake after release of UT2004, but you totally could !

10. Eclipse says:

Why you should play F2P Quake 3 on a browser when you can play the real thing for free? :-\

• Bungle says:

Quake Live provides other people to play with.

• Snakejuice says:

You can play versus actual real people in Quake Live, I don’t think you can do this anymore in Q3 unless you call a friend and persuade him to get on a server with you.

11. Kdansky says:

I’d like a $4.99 Elite version please, with fries.

12. wazups2x says:

They should release Quake Live on Steam. Since Steam now supports F2P games.

I hate playing games through a browser.

13. ScubaMonster says:

Main thing I hated about Quake Live was they sanitized the game. No gibs or blood at all. I don’t know if they changed that but Quake with no blood = lame.

14. Bungle says:

I have a free Quake Live account and play it every now and then. I always have fun when I do.

• thestage says:

Yep, pretty much. Quake III is a game you can play casual, hardcore, or anything in between and always realize that its fantastic. Quake Live is a no-hassle mostly-free version of it. It deserves more attention, not less.

• Squishpoke says:

I agree. I may actually buy some premium now, since Domination is so much fun.