The Rock, Paper, Shotcast Episode 4: Sexcast!

By Alec Meer on May 1st, 2012 at 3:30 pm.

Podcat!

Delayed by a few weeks due to, I dunno, terrorists, Adam, Jim and Alec return to their low-quality mics to discuss best SEO practices, Legend of Grimrock, Dishonored, Warlock, Carrier Command, the demise of STALKER 2, XCOM vs Xenonauts, Diablo III and, surprise surfrickingprise, how John was a bad healer in City of Heroes. Plus ca change.

Please listen to or be shown assorted places to download it below. Please. Please.

Download your own personal copy here, subscribe via iTunes here (and if you could leave a nice review that would be nice, nice, very nice) or browse former episodes free from the scourge of the worst piece of software ever made (with the possibly exception of Audacity) here.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. ColOfNature says:

Oh yeah, cast your pod at me!

Fede says:

Lovely Podcat!

3. Milky1985 says:

Hope everyone is going to wear ear protection for this sexcast

4. McDan says:

Woop Le woop. Keep the memories of how John is a bad healer coming!

5. Fierce says:

I’m up to minute 24, and I must say I put my hand over my heart and closed my eyes for the 10 seconds.

Slowly, slowly, numerous things in our medium are dying too soon and without justice. May it rest in peace.

6. identiti_crisis says:

Don’t hurt me, but I had to look up “plus ce change”.
    Should it not be: plus ça change (… plus c’est la même chose) ?
    “The more things change (… the more they stay the same)”
    Although, plus ce change might be more in the RPS style, sort of: “more wot changes”. : P

Now I know.

Anyway, I suppose I should listen to this, I’ve enjoyed the others so far. :)

7. methodology says:

Why doesn’t this happen every day? I know you run out of things to talk about, but even if you just sit around staring at each other in awkward silence i would totally listen to that.

Richard Beer says:

You guys should record this on a Google Hangout so we can see a) Adam’s face and b) who’s talking more clearly without having to remember what you all sound like.

• Fierce says:

Can’t speak to A, but regarding B… learning and remembering what people sound like is pretty basic human interaction skills, and pretty much required for any listening activity from listening to other podcasts on the Internet all the way back to listening to the radio in your teens.

What I’m trying to say is, you should probably just learn to recognize different voices without visual aids before hoping too much for an entire format shift just to satisfy the needs of Youtube-culture tween media consumption patterns.

• Meneth says:

The problem isn’t telling them apart; the problem is forgetting what name goes with what voice halfway into the podcast. For me at least they rapidly devolve into “that really calm guy” and “that moderately loud guy” rather quickly when I have no quick way of associating the voice with the name.
        The times where they say things like “what do you think, Adam” certainly help, but I still find myself forgetting which voice is who at times.

• woodsey says:

Until they said John wasn’t there, I honestly thought John had been speaking.

And now I have no idea who John 2.0 was.

• Fierce says:

Okay, but again, not really a problem. If it is, its a “problem” shared by every other audio podcast (try to remember, the term podcast was coined in the days of the audio only iPod, not the iPhone or iPod Touch with its inherent visual capabilities) in existance right now, and can be greatly mitigated by a simple introductionary segment at the beginning of each session. “Welcome back to our Podcast, I’m Jim… -I’m Alec…” and so on. Also note that by dividing “really calm guy” apart from “moderately loud guy”, you were already naturally working on the mental jigsaw puzzle necessary of any Radio Show or Podcast Listener.

So requesting an introductionary segment at the beginning? Sure.
          An entire format addition because some might have trouble telling Pundit A from Analyst B? Hardly. Some people like to listen to podcasts while driving you know.

And the technical ease with which a camera could be set up is not the point. Like I said, not everything requires visuals as a necessary feature.

• Meneth says:

A few more references to names and such, and it’d be fine for me. However, video would be nice as well.
          As for people listening in the car and such, it is entirely possible to release both video and audio-only.

• YourMessageHere says:

Hang on, why does it actually matter who says what? So long as you can tell that there’s different voices on the thing, it makes sense. The things that are being said are the point, not the names of the speakers…aren’t they?

Durkonkell says:

I had no idea what Adam looked like, so I had a look at the About Us page and it turns out he looks a little bit like me! Unfortunately I didn’t go to Oxford and I’m not best at writing. Also unfortunately, I don’t look enough like him to assassinate him and take his place. I couldn’t do the accent, either.

Incidentally, the “There’s much more information about how we do things and why (including required etiquette in comments threads)” link doesn’t work. It causes a resonance cascade scenario (and also generates error 404).

TheApologist says:

I actually think this is a good idea unworthy of snark. Couldn’t the sound be lifted out of the video for an audio podcast, and then the video and an audio only podcast be RSS’d separately?

(I have no technical knowledge whatsoever, it just seem like it would a) be good, and b) be possible)

Also, really glad the podcast continueth. It’s proper good.

9. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Now what’s wrong with audacity?

10. Amnesiac says:

Really the multiplayer component of Journey could be used to improve an insane amount of games.

11. roethle says:

1. Start a Kickstarter for the sex cast.

2.Spend some of the inevitable two million dollars you will raise for some decent mic’s and a camera.

3.Profit/fame.

• sneetch says:

I dunno, I’d expect to see some hard and fast details about the ins and outs of the sexcast’s contents before I’d be willing to donate.

• Fierce says:

Indeed, though handfuls of research may need to be done into the market penetration of the sexcast before a funding goal could be expected to climax.

12. ColOfNature says:

Between the duff audio and the priming effect of the subtitle I could have sworn Alec asked if the cause of Adam’s facial discomfiture was to be a mystery he’d rather keep from “the breeders”.

• wodin says:

Hehe..must admit someone not sure who speaks to quietly, I was constantly having to play around with my nob to get the volume right.

13. egg-zoo-bear-ant will e 91 says:

About time thnx

14. Radiant says:

The resistance to open world loveliness is COST.

Creating a world the size of say GTA4’s new york is an immense amount of money for a market that is not guaranteed and easy to get catastrophically wrong.

15. daq says:

Bloody love the shotcast, but may I request the volume be raised the next time? Sound has been consistently uneccesary low in these.

16. wodin says:

First time I’ve listened to this. I must say you all sound like youngsters.

17. Muzman says:

Yay, podcast!

You’re going to get a bit of blowback comparing Dishonoured to Bioshock. That’s just the way it is. Yeah, it was a novel and well made game in a lot of respects, but its level design and gameplay were often an obstacle to enjoying it. It’s the reason I haven’t tried Bioshock 2 yet. That sounds like it has a solid story, but the marketing kept saying “we’ve worked hard to make sure that gameplay you love is maintained” and so on (which they would, since the original was popular). Well, I personally don’t want to play it then.
    The next game touted as picking up the Looking Glass mantle ending up like Bioshock, is the last thing a lot of people want to hear about it.
    (and luckily most of what I hear about Dishonoured makes it not sound like that)
    It’s not just some piece of fashionable contrarianism, is my point. But it depends on the aspect of Bioshock it’s being compared to.

18. Aomis says:

Are those birds in the background ?

• quincunx says:

Haha, beat me to it, I was thinking the same thing. It sounds like someone is sitting near their back yard. Added a calming effect to all of the talk about sex and games.

• The Dark One says:

More birds in the background, fewer mouseclicks.

19. Caiman says:

Good to hear the Legend of Grimrock discussion. Awesome game, actually much better than its inspiration (Dungeon Master) because there is a lot more variety in puzzles, monsters and environments. The mechanics allow more complex puzzles as you get deeper into the dungeon, and there’s a real sense of mystery with what’s going on (well, in your first playthrough). Even the final level, which throws a “boss” fight at you, does so in a clever and appropriate way.

Even better news, they’re working on an editor right now, which is going to be free and awesome. I can’t wait to see what people come up with combining this with mod functionality, at least once we get past the inevitable Dungeon Master / Eye of the Beholder remakes.

bear912 says:

Half-Life 2 is my favorite game. I’d like another like it. Do you think we can get a lovely remake of it for next year?

21. Gassalasca says:

John doesn’t sound camp at all. He sounds twee.

22. Draelok says:

If you want hear a really well done PodCast, you should check out the one at http://www.LinkDeadGaming.com! They are all gamers and the quality of their podcast rocks. Its 2 guys and a girl doing it instead of three guys, so it is easy to pick out who is who. You should really check it out.

23. YourMessageHere says:

From the ID3v2 info comment field:

0000009A 0000009A 000026F3 000026F0 00165D34 00165D34 00007E9F 00007E96 001A2F78 001A2F78

What’s all that about then?

Edit: Haven’t listened yet, so perhaps it becomes clear later.