A Dad In A Dungeon: Part Four

By Hugh Walker on May 2nd, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

I like to imagine it still scares him.

As my dad nears the bottom third of Legend Of Grimrock, he seems to be becoming more determined, less likely to tell me he’s quitting, and more likely to turn to YouTube for help than his horrible, grumbling son. To catch up with his previous adventures head here. And then onward!

Inevitably, I reloaded my save position from before choosing the crossbow and took the book instead. I then found the snail-room and stocked up on snail meat before figuring out what the clicks meant in ‘Walkabout’. I think that’s what reopened the way back up, but I’m not sure what does what here. For example: do snails spontaneously create or is it something we do?

After popping up to level 3 and down the back stairs to the Blobs on level 4 secured a level rise for our Mage and a replacement crossbow we returned to Level 6. Sadly, we only have two quarrels, unlike Rock, Paper, Shotgun where all is peace and tranquility. (Hah!)

On 6 we decided to have a look at the previously passed over Fire Halls and discovered an apparently infinite supply of those fire-demon chappies, with a side plate of crab next door in the Mage area. (We discovered this when we were rudely awoken, having taken refuge after discovering that the ‘Firemen’ follow us down the corridor. When we’d cleared the Halls, albeit briefly, we thought we’d have a go with the buttons. Hmmm? Good is not the word.

Now, look here! I like a puzzle as much as the next adventurer, possibly more so than many, if not most. I cut my gaming teeth on text adventures. Those days of amazing graphics painted entirely with words, on an 8-bit computer, were doomed to be somewhat sadly short-lived when the distributors insisted that all games have graphics. Urrrgh! Waiting for a picture to draw so you could get on with the next verb-noun command was almost as excruciating as waiting for Grimrock to reload after we fell down a hole for the trillionth time.

Fortunately, we did not have to go back to redo Level 5. The humiliation of having to ask The Younger Walker to guide the walking-frame of this Older Version across that hall of apparently randomly opening and closing pits below which a whole army of undead bad guys waited for us to drop in would have been devastating.

The arrows and stuff (and possibly a key) that we saw across a pit over to the right might as well be on the moon for all the chance we have of getting to them. Maybe that’s the key to the metal door? Some of those doors are SO annoying. You just know there’s got to be such amazing goodies within. I managed to open those on Levels 1, 3 and 4 but what the clue on 5 about sleeping with dragons – or something – was about, I have no idea. I tried resting in the only room I know of having a dragon-ish statue, or can remember having it, which may not be the same thing, of course.

I gave up after a while and went down to Level 7. My team now had experience of dealing with The Blobs which succumbed to fireballs and hand to pseudopod combat. In my previous incarnation I had no problem navigating the room with the invisible teleports. But this time, despite finding the way out, I just cannot get to the teleport shimmering so coquettishly on the south-west corner – yet!

A few Fire Demons later, we emerged on Level 8 and quickly found a stair down, so missing most of it so far, headed for Level 9, where stuff happened. It’s all a bit hazy now – and after making pretty patterns with luggage on the floor in one room we reached ‘The Armory’.

I’ll need to go back and do the bits I’ve missed, but for now I think it is time for my lie-down. This game is tense, or maybe that should be intense? It’s fun, in a twisted, masochistic life-shortening, coronary enhancing sort of manner.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. wodin says:

I’m rubbish at puzzles, always have been. I just couldn’t get into it due to that fact.

bglamb says:

Quality “dad” joke in 2nd paragraph.

3. YoYo says:

Quarrels vs tranquility darts?

DrScuttles says:

Somehow I seem to be playing almost in sync with the senior Walker. At the time of part 3, we both seem to have reached level 4. And earlier today I got to level 10. And spookily, “Inevitably, I reloaded my save position from before choosing the crossbow and took the book instead“, as did I!

But I have to confess to having looked up a couple of puzzle solutions on youtube. That damn “slithers left and right” hallway and the “Tear of the Earth” stuff vexed me. Got the sleeping dragons puzzle right though, which makes me happy.

5. Maldomel says:

Glad to know that the riddles are becoming a tad more complex later on. Also, I see that Walker Senior is quite fond of puns too :)

6. Reefpirate says:

I spent waaaay too long on the sleeping dragons puzzle, thought I’d solved it a couple times, realized I didn’t… got frustrated, moved on to other things, then came and tried and tried it again. When it finally clicked and I solved it, it was quite the feeling to triumph!

Smashbox says:

Great series! I’m really enjoying it.

8. rockman29 says:

This series is the greatest literary achievement of this century :):):):)

lowprices says:

Every time a new entry of this gets posted I get closer to buying this game, even though I’m still catching up on the roughly 47 billion games I’ve impulse-bought in Steam sales and not played.

On a side note, It’s good to know where Walker the Younger got his love of puns from.

• Mattressi says:

Yeah, I’ve been waiting for the price to drop (I know, I’m stingy), but this series keeps making me want to give in and buy it now.

As for the puns; I’d imagine there’s a mandatory creative punning course that potential RPS writers must complete before they’re certified to write an article. Unfortunately for me, I’m still at the “that’s punny” level of punability (that is; the lowest level).

equatorian says:

I have a feeling that the younger Mr. Walker should tell the elder Mr. Walker about the XYZZY Awards and the current wonders of the Interactive Fiction medium. They’re still creating marvelous worlds with words and puzzles out there if he likes that sort of thing.

That said, this series is inspiring me to go out and buy Grimrock more than any other article on the game. It sounds like tremendous hair-pulling fun.

• PopeJamal says:

It is rather fun. I generally don’t go for this type of game, but the overall aesthetic of the thing is different enough from the crowd that it’s been worth it for me so far. It’s well done, so if you like this sort of thing, it probably won’t disappoint.

11. Was Neurotic says:

I’m pottering about on level 9, waiting for Mr. Walker to get there too so I can see what he does about a certain ‘non-stop’ problem.

12. Daniel Klein says:

One of the great mysteries of life: do snails spontaneously create or is it something we do?

13. Harvey says:

Darn it! Came for ellipses… was disappointed. However the pun was choice! and dare I say that Walker Sr. is becoming more comfortable writing here? I quite like his voice. I demand respectfully suggest Hugh Walker continue contributing even after this game has completed.

14. thebigJ_A says:

Why wouldn’t you take both the book AND the crossbow?

Oh, and a little hint (that makes the clue make more sense), there are TWO dragon statues on that level.

15. Hugh Walker says:

Is Grimrock part of a series?
    Was Neurotic: Level 9, Never ending Story – Military Two-Step, left foot forward
    Harvey: I think I have been misusing ellipses – but hyphens just don’t do it for me.
    thebigJ_A: (how do you do italics here?) I only had one key. & TWO? – oh? That’s greedy. Ooooooooh! Do they come to life?

• thebigJ_A says:

There’s definitely enough keys on that level to get both. In fact, I don’t think I’ve seen a level where you had to choose between getting one thing or another, provided you’d found all the secrets.

The dragons don’t come to life, but the are both looking in different directions (hint, hint).

Come to think of it, if you’ve not found the second dragon, you’ve missed more than half of that level.

Oh, and IDK if you know this, since it’s counter-intuitive, but you ALWAYS want to fall down pits. At least once when you find a new area with them in it, anyway, because they often have items, and sometimes are the way to figure out secrets for the level above.

• Was Neurotic says:

Ahh! Back to the dungeons lads, I think I know what to do now! :)

16. Hugh Walker says:

I probably did see another dragon; maybe I thought it was the same one? I only found one treasure vault key on NINE and the other level. I went for the book again and my Mage is wearing the experience boosting necklace so wicked firebolts and poison dart thingummees. I met an ogre in a lonnnnng tunnel on southeast of NINE so ran away to the room with the life crystal, luckily it followed me – and at that point saved and went to bed. I suppose it has a chum waiting somewhere.

17. Hugh Walker says:

I meant ‘southwest of NINE’ – but nevermind

18. Hugh Walker says:

Gosh! My friend Google tells me IDK = ‘I Don’t Know’ – I briefly thought it indicate a change of addressee being addressed. Thanks. No worries. I ALWAYS fall down pits.