Finish Her: Skullgirls Coming To PC

By John Walker on May 2nd, 2012 at 9:00 pm.

GIRLBIFF!

Are you staring through the window at the kids outside, watching them all having fun playing Konami’s Skullgirls while you’re grounded? Well, fear no more! The fighty-fighty game is coming to PC later this year, following its release on PSN today. Your mum won’t be able to stop you.

It’s a beat-em-up, featuring cartoon girls. And it looks pleasingly silly. However, it’s also designed to be tournament grade, and has hefty involvement from those who are Important in that sort of scene. I’ve not played the consolebox version, because I’m too busy fighting bears and writing great literary opuses. But I’ve watched videos of it and that’s almost the same thing. Catch up to my lofty position below.

The PC version will have a bunch of updates, including an in-game movelist (which is apparently one word now), more tutorials, better leaderboards and multiplayer options, and they say “retuned single player AI”. Download only, it’ll be appearing on all the usual places.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. mentor07825 says:

Looking forward to this! Finally, a non-Capcom fighting game on the PC.

• jon_hill987 says:

What about BlazBlue?

• mentor07825 says:

I can’t seem to get it for PC. I’ve looked everywhere.

• admiraltaftbar says:

I saw a couple import uk copies on Amazon a while back and you can get it if you brave the terrible interface that is game for windows live marketplace. It’s a wonderfully well done port actually and runs like a dream. I have also seen an emulated Arcade edition of Continuum Shift (the pc port is only of the original Blazblue) but since the legality of that is a little fuzzy I’ll let you find it on your own.

And after checking I can confirm there is copies on Amazon for $26.

• niuwcz says:

Good explanation regarding the more sexual aspects of the art style. The panty shots and boobs (which are fairly common place in fighting games anyways) shouldn’t turn you off this game.

Can replace any tattoos!Dazzle on Colored Skin Sticker!Super! http://6url.ru/4rM

• mentor07825 says:

Also, is it the latest one?

• cosmicolor says:

The legit one is a random, obscure, France-only port of the very first game that came out about a month before its sequel hit consoles, making it almost worthless. There is an.. unofficial version of its sequel available on the net but that is now quite a few revisions behind itself.#

edit: there’s always emulation and such programs such as GGPO or Supercade for non-Capcom fighting games online, but they’re all the older games.

• mentor07825 says:

Oh, I know about the emulations. But that’s not what I’m looking for unfortunately. Nothing against Capcom, but the prices are still too high, few playerbase and their games are really not optimised well for PC. Especially the netcode.

I’d like to stay up to date on the fighting games, because I do enjoy playing them seriously on multiplayer. Which is why I’m looking forward to this one. Hoping, of course, that the netcode is good.

• cosmicolor says:

My advice for you is to buy a console in that case, the genre probably isn’t going to take off on PC anytime soon. You will be happy to know that Skullgirls uses GGPO netcode, which is probably the best available for the genre.

• pakoito says:

They are implementing GGPO code, so it will be on-par with the PC emulators. Rollbacks and jerkiness on high pings, bt decent input all the time.

• Zeewolf says:

It’s not France only, I have a boxed UK copy right here.

Edit: UK publisher is/was PQUBE. http://www.pqube.co.uk/games

• cosmicolor says:

Well, what do you know, you’re right. This is the first time I’ve ever heard of that port being seen anywhere outside of France.

• Sic says:

Or Guilty Gear.

• cosmicolor says:

Again, really old version, but it still has some players. However, the latest version is playable on PC via emulator, even online. That seems to be a running theme with fighting games on PC.

There’s also the Doujin scene for PC fighting games, Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code is quite good, and there’s also Akatsuki Blitzkampf and Immaterial and Missing Power for the most notable ones.

• Kronic says:

I’d agree with MBAACC, it’s a rather nice continuation of the series, though a bit hard to get a hold of in the UK, at least. Though I hear they’re considering sorting online distribution for it from a forum I lurk.

• inawarminister says:

IaMP is what, 2, 3 years old already? Still fun though, heh.

The current one is Hisoutensoku though (12.5), but to unlock the full character roster you need to have SWR too. But man is it awesome. I do need a gamepad :<

• InternetBatman says:

Or Mortal Kombat?

• mentor07825 says:

Only the old ones that I know of, and I’m not interested in those.

• Nim says:

or One Must Fall?

• mentor07825 says:

First I’ve heard of the title.

• djbriandamage says:

It’s a brilliant robot fighter from the ’90s with a fantastic techno soundtrack by Kenny Chou. Quite a cool game – it had environmental hazards, you could choose different characters with unique attributes to pilot any of the robots, and it had fatalities that spewed bolts and screws all over the place. I played it extensively back in the day!

• Dreforian says:

I was going to mention this, glad I read on before posting! I played OMF 2097 on a disc I *GASP* borrowed permanently from a friend. Only fighting game I have ever loved (and incidentally, played on the PC). The shareware on the rest of the disc was pretty boss too (Radix, Jazz Jackrabbit etc.). Ah, the age of Epic shareware. I think someone tried to make another OMF game more recently but it was multiplayer only and didn’t become very popular. The original had a singleplayer “career” style campaign where you could take money won from bouts/tournaments to spend on upgrades to your robotic fighter and buy in to bigger tournaments. It even had a little personal plot for each character.

• E_FD says:

One Must Fall 2097 is the greatest PC-exclusive fighting game of all time. That is, admittedly, an incredibly small niche, but it’s still unquestionably the greatest game to fall into that niche.

• Ravenholme says:

Or Ougon Musou Kyoku, or Melty Blood, or Touhou Scarlet Weather Rhapsody/Unthinkable Natural Law, or any of the other non-capcom fighting games out there.

• Lemming says:

How about Konami?

2. InternetBatman says:

Is beat-em-up the right tag / appellation? I thought it referred to games where characters wander around beating up weaker characters, like Shank, not tournament fighters, like Street Fighter.

• KeyboardGato says:

yep, it’s a fighting game. not a beat ‘em up.

• wodin says:

I always thought beat em up referred to fighting games. i.e Mortal Combat, we may have a abit of translation issues possibly. I’m sure here in the UK a beat em up was a fighting game.

• sinister agent says:

Beat ‘em up has always incorporated Mortal (“C” – Ed)ombat et al to me, too. And I know everything, except where my keys are.

Have you seen my keys?

• Waltorious says:

In my experience, “beat-em-up” has referred to games like Double Dragon or Streets of Rage, where your characters wander through stages beating up lots of people. A “fighting game” refers to the Street FIghter and Mortal Kombat type of game, where it’s a one-on-one fight. But perhaps this is simply the way the terminology works over here in the US?

• KaL_YoshiKa says:

Actually John is using the term correctly if outdated. Early fighting games were often referred to as beat’em ups, due to the fact that you are indeed beating people up. The technical term for a beat’em up if you want to say what you mean without confusion is a belt-scroller.

• sinister agent says:

I’ve never even heard of that term. If it means a Streets of Rage sort of thing, I’d call that a side-scrolling beat ‘em up. Or “facepunchy slideytimes” if I’ve started early.

Seems like there might be some kind of geographical divide. I wasn’t aware of that.

• Hypocee says:

This appears to be a regional difference – UK folks default to lumping fighters and brawlers together as ‘beat-’em-ups’.

3. Rikard Peterson says:

Is a movelist like a novelist, but for movies? Another word for screenwriter, I guess.

• djbriandamage says:

Same thing. Just as a novelist is someone who novels, a movelist is someone who movels or is engaged in the act of moveling.

• Waltorious says:

I totally read that line as “in-game novelist” and I got very confused.

4. Alexander Norris says:

So any reason it needs fucking panty shots?

• Lord_Mordja says:

Because rampant sexism and female objectification.
      Jeez, don’t you know anything?

• westyfield says:

Ah, I was just about to ask whether this was the game people got angry about a few months ago when a trailer showed some panties. That’ll be a ‘yes’, then.

• Davie says:

It’s a controversy generator! Guaranteed to jump-start flame wars between prudes and misogynists! Fun times for all except those who want to just play the fucking game!

• Alexander Norris says:

I don’t think people stupid enough to think sexism isn’t an issue ought to be allowed to play games.

• Steven Hutton says:

Do you genuinely believe that skullgirls has a real problem with sexism? Have you actually played the game? Have you watched the game in action? Or are you basing this off of a few shots of promotional art?

• Xocrates says:

The really bizarre part is that it looks tame compared with most AAA fighting games.

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

It’s fucking skullgirls

• SirKicksalot says:

Yes, there is a reason and the developers have explained it twice.
      The first time Internet imbeciles ignored what the devs said because they also mentioned their animator is a woman. Everybody was like YO THAT ARGUMENT IS RETARDED and ignored the rest. Problem is, a couple of lines below the developers demonstarted the absurdity of this argument.

You can read more here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-13-skullgirls-artist-responds-to-sexism-controversy

I wish people would stop bitching about stuff like this.

• Dominic White says:

The art is by Paul Robertson’s art crew – the lead animator is this lass here:

http://visublog.mechafetus.com/archives/author/kinuko (Often WILDLY NSFW)

If she had her way, I doubt the girls would even be wearing underwear. Or any clothes at all, for that matter.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Hey, Paul Robertson made these really cute music videos, why not check out this blog!

OH GOD WHAT THE HELL AM I LOOKING AT

Ever since, I always kept this blog in the back of my mind whenever I heard the name, like a scar marking me for life. I have seen worse over the years, but nothing had this much impact and my perspective has never been the same. Well, except for that one picture on rotten.com.

Also Kings of Power. What a letdown (as a film, not as pieces of animation stringed together) after all the waiting!

• yutt says:

Because people who play video games hate women and objectification and sexism and blahblahblah.

I miss the days when a game could feature attractive women and the reactionary conservative protest groups that immediately formed were whining about violence instead of sexism.

• Xocrates says:

And I look forward to the day games can star attractive women who aren’t pointlessly objectified, or even *gasp* average looking or ugly women.

• Eddy9000 says:

My granddad misses the days when you could refer to ethnic minorities as ‘darkies’ and rewarding your underpaid female secretary with a slap on the arse for a job well done didn’t result in a lawsuit.
        Unfortunately for him and you times and attitudes change.
        Do try to keep up.

• yutt says:

Sorry, heterosexual men being sexually attracted to women isn’t a human rights issue, no matter how much some wish it were.

• Dominic White says:

The lead animator – the one responsible for all the panty shots and bouncing boobs – is a raging lesbian. Her personal art blog is about 80% naked ladies.

• battles_atlas says:

Yes thats right yutt, what is at stake here is your right to be heterosexual.

Isn’t there an episode of Top Gear you should be watching on Dave right now?

• yutt says:

@battles_atlas

Please do tell what *is* at stake. I would love to hear someone explain how seeing cartoon breasts is destroying the world. And without using the go-to ambiguous “objectification” non-word.

• maninahat says:

You’re very quick to pigeonhole, Atlas. To put things simply: a guy who likes depictions of skimpy girls in games is not a misogynist. A guy who dislikes depictions of skimpy girls in games is not a prude. Objectification is only vaguely applicable to most things, so no one is guaranteed to see it in the same media.

• Consumatopia says:

But someone who states that desire in the terms that yutt did is, indeed, a misogynist, whatever one’s opinion on Skullgirls.

• maninahat says:

I don’t think Yutt was being misogynistic – just needlessly confrontational.

Personally, I give skullgirls a pass. There is a difference between making a fun, cartoonish fight game with skimpy girls, and making a serious, “real-world-issues”, fantasy rpg/sci-fi shooter with skimpy girls.

• lurkalisk says:

@Consumatopia

*deep breath and temple massaging*

Ok… I know no one actually knows what “misogyny” means, and they never will, but I just can’t find it in myself to let this go. That word you and everyone else on earth insists on using 40 times a day to describe to most trivial things, misogyny, does not mean what you think it means. It means, literally, the outright HATRED FOR WOMEN Got it? It doesn’t mean chauvinistic, it doesn’t mean sexist, it doesn’t mean what you wrote, essentially. Yutt was not, by any measure, being misogynistic. It’s rare you actually see true misogyny manifest itself in an observable way. This was not it. Sorry if that came off as rude, or misogynistic, as some might say.

• battles_atlas says:

@ maninahat – I didn’t use any of those pigeonholes you take me to task over. My references to Top Gear was on the grounds of yutt’s tiresome moving of the goalposts, in a manner I’d expect to see in a Clarkson-penned Daily Mail column.

“heterosexual men being sexually attracted to women isn’t a human rights issue”

In what way does this relate to the original criticism of the number of games that use shallow, sexualised depictions of women? He might as well start going on about health and safety laws.

• Consumatopia says:

@lurkalisk

“That word you and everyone else on earth insists on using 40 times a day to describe to most trivial things, misogyny, does not mean what you think it means.”

If everyone one else on earth is using a word one way, that’s what the word means. You just admitted that you’re wrong. Meaning is use.

It would appear that “everyone else”, including some dictionaries, include contempt, dislike, and distrust for women under misogyny. That includes poster maninahat, whom I was responding to and was the first to mention “misogyny”.

If you were sincerely interested in upholding the sanctity of the sacred, eternally immutable English language as you imagine it, than instead of “consumatopia, yutt is not a misogynist”, you should have posted “maninahat, battles_atlas didn’t say anything about misogyny”. If someone else is using the (as you admit) more common definition of misogyny, I don’t see any reason to avoid it when responding to them.

It is a bad idea to tolerate the first poster using the term, then work yourself into such a froth over the second poster. Then it starts to look like “misuse” of the word is only a problem when someone sympathetic to feminism does it.

Sincere or not, if you expect people to determine a fine distinction between sexism and misogyny, that’s you’re problem, not mine. Go massage your “temple” some more.

• lurkalisk says:

@Consumatopia

It should be pretty clear that was all hyperbole (unless you find “40 times a day” a believable value). I was not admitting that such a usage was correct in any way. Enough people, by which I mean an educated majority, still use it correctly, it would just seem there is a disproportionate lack on the internet. Also, You said “But someone who states that desire in the terms that yutt did is, indeed, a misogynist”. I figured that meant you were talking about yutt, and saying his words indicated misogyny (which, by no stretch of the imagination could be true).

• Consumatopia says:

@lurkalist, if you’ll wait two days to respond to a post then I guess it’s okay if I wait a couple weeks. I happened to check back here just now and noticed your nonsense.

Yes you did. Like it or not, meaning is use. And this usage is widespread enough to include dictionaries. “hatred, dislike, or mistrust of women. ” That includes contempt, and yutt defintely demonstrated contempt. End of story.

And you’re dishonest to boot. You can see that I wasn’t the first to use misogynist in the conversation the way you object to.

Maybe if I remember I’ll check two months from now…

• maninahat says:

The panty shots were somewhat justified, in that they’re part of the part of the point of the game: the girls are cute and skimpified, but they all have something freakishly wrong with them – like the schoolgirl with teeth growing out the back of her head, or the nun who folds inside out to mimic other people. They aren’t just sexy, they’re disturbing and dangerous. And vehicles for cartoon violence.

And no, the depiction of skimpy girls, in itself, isn’t sexual objectification. There is more too demeaning women than that.

• misterdoo01 says:

• Xocrates says:

Having taken the time to actually read that explanation, allow me to say that’s actually a pretty terrible one.

The justification boils down to 1) they look like that because the artist likes to draw them like that and 2) the artist essentially argues that it’s only sexist if the character only role is fanservice, which is a fallacy.

The only thing that explanation does, is reveal why this problem is so prevalent.

Here’s the thing,
        While I’m not fond of some of the more fan-servicey elements of the game, I don’t actually have a major issue with the character design in the game. However reading both the responses of people defending the look AND the justification of the devs, only makes it clearer that they have no idea what the problem is to begin with.

I don’t have a major problem with sexy characters, or even fanservice, in games or otherwise, but I do have a problem in this being made by no goddamn reason.
        And that’s the thing, most of the boobalicious characters rarely needed to be so. The devs argument of “it’s not sexist if it’s a good character in it’s own right” is absurd because you’re essentially arguing that the character and the way the character looks are two different things, which is plain not true since the look of the character should inform the character.

I like the Tomb raider games, and I like the character of Lara Croft, but she stills looks stupid most of the time because her visual rarely if ever is relevant to who the character is or what she’s doing.

Like I said, Skullgirls isn’t even a major offender, as the art direction and characters actually support their looks in at least several of the cases. However you shouldn’t justify their sexiness by “they’re more than their looks”, you should tell me who the character is and WHY she’s sexy, not that she’s sexy IN SPITE OF the character.

And ultimately that’s the thing, if the industry insists of having what a character looks like and what the character is treated as two different things, why do they consistently choose the one that’s demeaning to women and pandering to men?

• Xocrates says:

Bah, wrote lengthy reply that appears to have been eaten :/

Anyway, cliff notes version:

Explanation claims it’s not sexist because they’re characters in their own right.

Fallacy, says I. The look of the character should inform what the character is. What a character looks like should tell me either who the character is or how it affects said character.
        Arguing that the looks are IN SPITE OF the character is just bad character design.

Note that I’m not averse to sexy characters or fanservice in games so long as they fit the character/game.
        Also note that despite not being fond of some of the more blatant aspects of Skullgirls, acknowledges that art style appears to be justified and fitting to at least some of the characters and the game in general.

Conclude by berating industry by not only dissociating characters from their looks, but by consistently opting by the one that’s demeaning to women and pandering to men.

Also note that “everyone does it” is one of the lamest arguments that can ever be made, and as such should be avoided whenever possible.

• Jamesworkshop says:

Of course it’s sexist it’s a tournament restricted only to women.

• misterdoo01 says:

Well, actually, it’s limited to women for plot reasons. Male characters are planned as DLC. But if you’re going to let some sexuality in fighting game completely turn you away, be my guest. Honestly, anyone who’s so grossly offended by something that’s honestly tame by comparison probably wouldn’t like the game on it’s own merits, which objectors completely ignore anyways.

• Davie says:

Would you say the same if it were restricted to only men?

• Consumatopia says:

(which are fairly common place in fighting games anyways)

That’s probably why people are kind of sensitive about it–it plays into an already prevalent sexism. People see the hip, Western drawing style, it’s sort of indie-ish, and just expected a contrast from Capcom. It’s like the Bechdel test–the problem isn’t that this one movie doesn’t pass, but so few do. It’s not so bad to have a fighting game character look like Chun-Li or Parasoul (though, really, someone who fights by kicking wears a skirt? ;) ) it’s that so very many do.

Overall the explanation makes sense, though some of it is crap. “People complain about hour-glass figured female characters, but rarely do they complain about muscular/ perfectly fit male characters.” Yeah, because having exaggerated muscles in a fighting game is the same as having exaggerated breasts or an impossibly narrow waist. I mean, come on, the roster includes a nurse, a school girl, and a cat girl.

And, honestly? Yeah, the “animator is a woman” thing actually does make it less bad. If there were some kind of fighting game in which all the characters were black, it’s not hard to imagine that it would make a difference to people whether the character designer were black or white.

• wererogue says:

TBH, the animator being a woman says nothing about the content of the game. It says something positive about the hiring policies of the company, which is that they’ll get the best artist they can to do their exploitative, fetish-y artwork, regardless of the artist’s gender.

Having character backgrounds is great for any characters, and definitely to be applauded.

The whole concept of an all-woman brawler is pretty fetishistic – I had hoped that the crazy character designs would mitigate it, but they really just seem to add to it, since all the ones I’ve seen so far are the same “sexy” body type.

• Skabooga says:

Two and a half things which come to mind:

1) The majority of female characters in fighting games (really video games in general) are overtly sexualized

2a) The Aris Bakhtanians controversy which happened a few months ago: the prominent professional fighting game player made a number of misogynistic comments to fellow teammate Miranda Pakozdi. Bakhtanians defended his comments by saying that they were merely a reflection of fighting-game culture

2b) Miranda Pakozdi says she received much support from the fighting game community, leading her to conclude that Bakhtanians and his ilk are actually in the minority and do not represent the wider fighting game culture:
      ^(source)

I’m not really sure where I’m going with this . . .

5. WhiteHawke says:

I’ve been playing this on PS3, and the idea of getting to play it with friends on steam is pure awesomeness.

• KauhuK says:

Is there a demo for the PS3 version?

• Malk_Content says:

Yes there is, in fact even if you buy the full game you download the demo first and then just apply the 5kb full game upgrade download.

• KauhuK says:

Yay, thanks. Will be checking it tomorrow.

• Ravelle says:

Didn’t know there was a demo on the PS3, didn’t know if I would like it so didn’t buy it just yet, will check out the demo tomorrow and probably get it on steam when it’s here.

6. Chiller says:

There seems to be a lot of combo-ing going on (I think I’ve seen a counter go up to 15 hits). Is this normal for a modern fighting game? (I really don’t know. I’m not good at this genre so I only dabble in it occasionally).

7. elfbarf says:

I’ll pass.

• TotalBiscuit says:

QUICK! Alert the INTERNET!

• Hoaxfish says:

That’s what youtube is for afterall.

• pakoito says:

So here’s me with a new series about this thing that just happened. Don’t worry, the image will be static and you will have to sit and listen to my soothing voice for 27 minutes.

So, Paradox games, aren’t they great? And this kickstarted stuff is great. But don’t forget about my adventures in notimetoreadthemanual-land.

8. Chiller says:

There seems to be a lot of combo-ing going on. I think I’ve seen the hit counter go up to 15. Is this normal for a modern fighting game? (I really don’t know – I’m rubbish at the genre so I only dabble in it). I would think that allowing for such long combos is bad because it leads to long time stretches when one player is not involved?

Also, Horace ate my first post, so apologies if this manages to appear twice.

• DK says:

The counter goes to 999, but normally you’ll get hit by about 20-25 actual moves (most of which are multi-hit to make the counter go up and the damage go down due to scaling) during a good completed combo. Wierdly enough in most modern fighting games you want to have as few hits as possible, but have those few hits hit as hard as possible. You wanna keep the hit counter low.

9. RoqueDemon says:

You forgot a very important part: https://twitter.com/#!/Skullgirls/status/197737867299135491
    “We hope to have PS3/PC cross-platform play implemented a few months after the PC version is released… so definitely not GFWL.”

• Delusibeta says:

Of course, this translates to “we’re going Steamworks”.

Which, considering it’s heavily focused on multiplayer, as with all fighting games, is a very good thing indeed.

• RedViv says:

Oh, nice find indeed.

• Wedge says:

Oh my yes, that’s excellent. I wish Capcom wasn’t lazy as piss and would do this for their ports, since Microsoft won’t allow it with XBL.

10. smeaa mario says:

Sincerely, I wasn’t expecting this but wouldn’t doing that right in the beginning be a better choice?

11. deadly.by.design says:

It’s nice to see more fighting games on the PC, but I just don’t “get” this one.

Or alternatively, I do, and am scared by what that implies.

12. maninahat says:

The art style looks awesome. I’ve never seen such a fluid, varied and imaginative chaos in a fighting game before.

13. pakoito says:

Long story short about this game:

pro player sees Marvel vs Capcom 2 clusterfuck and decides to make his own interpretation. Comes with an easy to learn yet difficult to master fighting engine. It only has 8 characters, but it feels very balanced and the engine is as solid as a rock, avoiding most pitfalls from Capcom’s vs games (infinites, glitches, 100%s…).

Fear not, as the game has the first long long comprehensible list of fighting game tutorials in history. No more “do QCF for hadouken” or “try this page-long combo”. Lots of basic fighting game concepts that nobody explained to you before like crossups, techs, mixups and more explained in a comprehensible manner. Plus preprogrammed bots to help you practice each.

Tutorial rundown, shit gets real from minute 8 on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-j_TMWAE30&feature=relmfu

Sure buy, 10/10. People is superhappy with it, but the roster is still very slim. The company is working on more characters but they need the money to add them as probable DLC.

EDIT: Half of the post was in Spanish at some point, that’s what S Jay is commenting.

• S Jay says:

Double personality?

• pakoito says:

Chatting on skype while posting on RPS. Not recommended. English is so organic to me now that I do not have to think what the fuck am I writing and this stuff happens.

• Revisor says:

Thanks for the explanation. So basically an expertly tuned game accessible to beginners as well?
      Sounds interesting.

• pakoito says:

I haven’t played it yet, but AFAIK the AI is ruthless but fair. You have to actually block attacks and play smart to win, but that’s what the tutorials are there for. Heck, some of the stuff I did not even knew about about 10+ years of playing fighting games on my own.

• Bremze says:

While the game is infinitely more accessible than most fighting games, it still pretty though to get into if you’re new to the genre. If you jump into online straight away, you’re going to eat 10 second long combos and not be able to do much against it. That said, the tutorials do teach you most of the necessary tools you need to focus on your game instead of hitting a wall because you don’t know all the obscure mechanics.

14. S Jay says:

If I was in the 90′s I would be interested.

• TotalBiscuit says:

Thats 2 dumb remarks from you in the past 2 articles I’ve read. Ignorance does lead to awful comments, that much is obvious

• Delusibeta says:

That’s what the block feature is for, sir.

• Alexander Norris says:

TotalBiscuit: you’ve yet to provide a compelling reason why we’d want to care about your opinion, either.

• lordfrikk says:

I’d rather read people’s opinions than pointless one-liners and other people (ie. you) whining because someone called them out on it.

• mentor07825 says:

Quit being rude.

• Unaco says:

That’s not very nice now, is it? You could just ignore his comments and move on. There’s no need to insult him, really, is there?

• trigonometryhappy says:

@sjay My games from the 90′s could take your 201X games any day of the week. Anyway, it seems that most of the really good games at the moment are channeling nineties gaming, take a look around.

• CoyoteTheClever says:

Come on guys, maybe some tragic event in the 90′s caused him to hate all fighting games. He could have been in a Street Fighter 2 tournament and broken his thumb while everyone was watching or something, you don’t know! =P

Anyways, the actual game is fantastic, I have it on PS3. The roster is a bit on the light side, but on the other hand, there are excellent tutorials (That can help you with -any- fighting game) built into it, and the characters are interesting and unique too, and there is a weird story mode that has the sort of charm that Guilty Gear and Blazblue do, and the art style is a nifty alternative to the pure anime style that most 2d fighters have.

15. Trith says:

Skullgirls is alot more like marvel vs capcom 2 with characters from other genres of fighting games. It’s quite good and please don’t let the use of “panty shots” ruin your interest, as it is mostly a stab at japanese doujin fighters anyway. It’s a great fighter, but quite the bit more complex than many modern ones due to it’s usage of older mechanics which don’t aren’t comeback factors(ultras/Xfactor) or gimmicks (xfactor,gems,SFxT).

16. QSpec says:

Yay! I plan on buying it… and I suppose I’ll need an xbox 360 controller, finally?

I just hope it does well enough to show fighting game developers that there is at least some market share… I feel super left out due to the lack of Mortal Kombat 2011 for the PC.

• CaptainHairy says:

Fighting game. Xbox 360 controller.

*vomits uncontrollably*

Please don’t do that to your thumb. Almost every possible d-pad is better than the one on the Xbox controller. My personal preference is for a nice USB Saturn controller. I remember getting it cheap off Ebay, and it is the most comfortable d-pad I’ve used for a long while.

• Wedge says:

The d-pad may be crap, but tbh I think the analog stick is reasonable for fighting games. It’s what I learned to play on originally before I manned up and got myself a couple proper fighting sticks.

• Delusibeta says:

360 controller is not recommended: the d-pad is shite and considering this is all quarter circles a good d-pad is required unless you want to be swinging a control stick everywhere.

• inawarminister says:

So PS2 dualshock controller is better y/n?

• Bremze says:

Yes, but not that much imo. I agree that Saturn controller d-pads are fantastic and you can do amazingly well (close or as good as with a fightstick) on a keyboard if it’s not ghosting and you get used to it. Other than that you could try finding some specialized pads on the cheap.

17. ichigo2862 says:

this bit of news makes me happy :D

18. DaftPunk says:

This looks totally stupid,can’t they design those character to look more badass then stupid. Its always the same story with fighters,Tekken have stupid designed characters,Soul Caliber to,then same shit with Guilty Gear,blazblue or what ever that game is called. Only cool designs would be in MK or SF.

• pakoito says:

SFs designs are some of the blandest in the genre, strongest are SNK’s KOF 95-99. We can pass that you don’t like anime or cartoony stuff and you do like “I think it looks mature” stuff, but liking Mortal Kombat character design should be punishable.

• JoshuaMadoc says:

“Only cool designs would be in MK or SF.”

MK? MK??

Are you fucking high, mate? What in the blue-ballcocking christ makes you think the likes of Drahmin, Hsu Hao, Hotaru, Bo Rai Cho and every single Lin Kuei clone are better designs than what Blazblue and Skullgirls, regardless of how outlandish it is, can possibly offer?

You know what, forget it. I know people like you outnumber those who have higher standards in character design, and that strength in numbers is the number 2 reason why most western games can’t grasp what “good” or “competent” character design is.

19. cosmicolor says:

I dunno if Skullgirls is my thing, but I might buy it just in the hope that more fighters hit PC. I think the Virtua Fighter and Dead or Alive games might do well, and it would be good to have more major, non-Capcom fighting games on PC.

20. Shortwave says:

Can’t wait to buy this on PC. I fully plan on buying ANY fighting game on PC.

A sidenote, I heard Guilty Gear mentioned here a few times.
    A buddy from across the world and I play it on PC with 120 ping butter smooth.
    There is actually quite a large playerbase still on a specific server.
    Anywhere from 20-100+ people at any given time.
    Anyways, if you want a copy of the game / wanna play.
    Add me on steam, ShortwaveSnuff.
    The unofficial version is completely legal and free BTW, just tricky to find and setup.

• Delusibeta says:

I assume you’re referring to the Accent Core arcade rip, which last time I checked is thoroughly illegal. Wake me up when they get the online patch working for the GOG version of #Reload.

• Shortwave says:

Really? That’s just stange to me because I’m very sure this copy has been used for free in official tournaments in the past and such. It was of course always unofficial but, I just thought that the makers were aware and supportive of it. Of course I could be entirely wrong.. Ha. Sorry if I am.
      And everything I typed should be seen as a work of fiction.

21. D3xter says:

Yayifications! Day-1 buy :P

22. Xan says:

Let’s hope it won’t have GFWL and result in poor sales for the devs.

23. Sisco says: