Prickstarter: Leisure Suit Larry Remake Going Ahead

By John Walker on May 2nd, 2012 at 10:00 pm.

Finally he has something to smile about.

Leisure Suit Larry’s remake, from Al Lowe and a team of Sierra Online alumni, has finished its Kickstarter. And it won. 13,855 people have taken the half a million target to over $630,000. So we’ll be getting the first Leisure Suit Larry for the third time. This time with swishy new graphics, fully voiced, and without the game trying to kill you every fifteen seconds. Check out our interview with Al Lowe for lots more details.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. PearlChoco says:

I’m happy.

2. Jimbo says:

Quimparter

3. S Jay says:

600k to repaint and put voice in a game? Hm…

• gschmidl says:

And add new content.

• Terragot says:

I’d imagine he’s adding the majority to his profit margins as – and lets be realistic – there isn’t going to be much of a market for this thing outside of fan interest.

• niuwcz says:

Can replace any tattoos!Dazzle on Colored Skin Sticker!Super! http://6url.ru/4rM
        I had no idea people really liked these games that much. I’m not saying they shouldn’t – I don’t think I’ve even played them. Just seems to have come out of nowhere to me.

• Cerius says:

More like redoing EVERYTHING.

There’s nothing left from the past Sierra games. The whole code is gone so they have to do it from the ground up. They are literary remaking everything. Including recording the score for example. (Also it seems like they are improving and doing new stuff on that side too)

• Deano2099 says:

Re-doing everything but the script and the puzzles. Which are the entire point of an adventure game.

• RandomGameR says:

But not the entire cost…

• thejobloshow says:

The script is getting revamped too. There’ll be much more interactivity with actual dialogue trees (which weren’t in the original) and additional story. Josh Mandel stated there’s a lot of topical humour in the original that’s dated and will be rewritten so it’s not fair to say it’s a carbon copy or the changes will be superficial.

• terry says:

A whole generation who will never face the question “Who the fuck is Pia Zadora?”

What a shame.

• Syra says:

“And as mentioned they are going to flesh exisiting stuff out and add new things in.”

I imagine all Leisure Suit Larry discussions start with innuendo leaden phrases like this.

• Eddy9000 says:

“without the game trying to kill you every fifteen seconds”

That’s going to take a major overhaul.

• WrongThinker says:

Actually, that price tag is one of the more legit budgets I’ve seen on kickstarter. I’ve seen many budgets that are super small because the team isn’t working on the games full time and/or have already put a ton of work in to the project (and use KS to raise funds to finish it out).

Animation, especially 2D, is extremely expensive and time consuming. That’s just how it is.

• Wreckdum says:

That’s the thing… It is Kickstarter… Only fans should be funding it. Who cares what their goal is. If you donate money you’re going to get the game. You’re just determining how much money they get for their efforts. You should only be concerned with enjoying the game. Their financials are their financials.

4. sinister agent says:

• Hoaxfish says:

but boobs and fart joke!

Can’t say I get them either, if my “escapism” consisted of failing to get women I’d probably have killed myself from boredom.

But then, I guess I was saved from that by the Carry On films.

• MadTinkerer says:

I don’t like LSL that much, but Al Lowe looks like Santa Claus and has a similar sense of humor as my uncle, so how could I refuse?

• Skabooga says:

He’s the type of guy I’d like to see at classy parties (to which I’m not invited): seems like he would spice things up in a good-natured sort of way.

• Contrafibularity says:

When I was in my teens, I found these very funny. What I would think of them today I have no idea, however I have fond memories of the puzzles and innuendo, I think actually a big part of the charm is the fact that the game’s objective is to ‘score’, which is pretty much all you can think of when you’re young anyway, and so already there’s a natural pathos you could only ever get in another medium with Beavis and Butthead for example (lovably detestable characters, but it’s hard not to feel for them when they mess up another chance to score).

• thejobloshow says:

It’s the comedy. The comedy in the game has always been on par with mainstream comedies like Austin Powers, Meet the Parents and ESPECIALLY the 40 Year Old Virgin. So yeah, it’s low brow – but it’s clear from Al Lowe’s personality that the games have a LOT of heart. It’s not hard to see why so many people get passionate about it.

5. Dr I am a Doctor says:

dicksharter

6. Eddy9000 says:

That has to be one of the best headline puns in the history of RPS

7. kud13 says:

the game won’t be trying to kill me every 15 seconds? but, what’s the fun in that?

I mean, 60% of the gags in the original were the various ways you could screw up and lose. and they were generally hilarious.

8. Hulk Handsome says:

Worth noting that they’re adding new content, including some new locations and a new girl you can completely fail to have it off with.

9. MrEvilGuy says:

It would have been nice if they redid the entire trilogy for the kickstarter. I would have pledged to that!

10. matmobile says:

I’ve played both the EGA and VGA versions of this game when I was younger, and also larry 5,6 and 7. I used to really enjoy this series.

But last month I replayed the first one, and it’s a really short game. The game is good based on sentimental value, but the game and the puzzles have not aged so well.

I know there are some new content added to the core game, but I wonder if everyone will be pleased by the final product in the end.

Finger crossed it will be as good as we remember it…

11. hemmer says:

The kickstarter page doesn’t show the paypal donations though.
    In total they got $674,022, which put them just over the 650k mark, meaning they’re gonna add another girl and some more story.

12. marlin says:

I just wonder what Mr Walker Senior thinks of Junior’s header for this article. I’m sure he didn’t bring John up to use words like that….

13. Fumarole says:

Al seems like a swell guy, I’m glad this was successful for him.

14. RegisteredUser says:

Will there be a TRUE adult mode this time with perverse sex, nudity, fappable action?

A gallery mode of all the women involved?

I’m just saying..if there ever was something I wish the originals had had and that one could sensibly add to them..