And Yet It Flies: Chasing Aurora Looks Gorgeous

By Nathan Grayson on May 3rd, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

The Alps, much like the rest of Austria, are of course made from brightly colored construction paper.

Oh goodness. Chasing Aurora, the latest from And Yet It Moves developer Broken Rules, looks like it’s really shaping up to be something special. It’s being billed as an “explorative 2D aerial action game about the dream of flight” in the “hostile environment of the Alps.” This mood teaser, though, demonstrates hostility on par with that of a kitten herd in a warm pillow and sunlight beam factory. It’s downright serene, but in a gloriously mesmerizing fashion. I think I’ve watched the all-too-brief trailer five or so times now, just to soak up all the little details of the wind’s undulating whistle and the music’s instrumental peaks and valleys in relation to the avian main character’s traversal of actual peaks and valleys. That screenshot doesn’t do this one justice. See it in oddly absorbing, physics-powered motion after the break.

There’s apparently a multiplayer mode as well, but Broken Rules is keeping that heavily under wraps for now. An admittedly very early video, however, makes it seem pretty competitive. Regardless, this looks like something I could find myself sinking blissfully stress-free hours into. The sense of scale – accentuated by the camera’s meticulously timed zooms in and out – made me say “Gee whiz golly willikers” even on repeat viewings, which is weird, because no one actually talks like that. It’s set to launch sometime in 2012, but I want it nooooooow.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Toberoth says:

Loved AYIM. This looks just as beautiful and interesting… although it would be nice to see where the challenge comes in.

Love the music as well!

2. TomSmizzle says:

Looking very cool. I’m glad they’re mixing up the artstyle, too.

3. HoosTrax says:

As long as this game doesn’t have those blasted bamboo springboards…

4. Phinor says:

Am I the only one who rarely finds any beauty in these, umm, let’s say indie-visuals? I thought AYIM looked almost awful and this is barely any better. That’s not to say they are not good games, just that I really dislike the visual style.

I’m not saying the Tera ad looks any better on the background either, far from it. Now give me something like Minecraft, that’s a beauty right there. Now where’s the nearest hospital I can check in to?

• sabrage says:

I basically agree with everything you’ve said, except this looks LOADS better than AYIM. But that game sucked.

I think it’s that “flash-cutout” look that really puts me off… the new Rayman game did it, Isaac was built entirely in flash, and I bet it’s going to plague the new South Park game. There’s just something distinctly cheap about the animation style.

• Eric says:

I can’t imagine thinking Rayman: Origins looked “cheap.” That was one of the most visually gorgeous games I’ve played in years.

I agree about AYIM, and this I’m not 100% sold on, but I thought Rayman Origins was beauitful.

• vivlo says:

i for one have been really loving AYIM, albeit visuals were indeed not so appealing at first. But this looks sort of gorgeous !

5. CaLe says:

This video made me think that no game has ever captured the feeling of being a bird. I’ve seen some videos of a camera attached to an eagle as its flying full speed and through forests, which looks exhilarating to say the least. And then there is the gracefulness of it all. It would be a challenge to try to replicate that in a game.

• sabrage says:

I feel like you should check out Flower if you’re able.

• MattM says:

Being a lurk in natural selection was a pretty awesome bird experience but it was in a pretty small environment.

• Hypocee says:

Well, your sentiment’s well-chosen – this is one of the most birdlike experiences I can remember, though for good and ill the flapping is cosmetic.

The one true bird experience I can remember in games occupies a funny place – I remember it fondly and vividly twenty-odd years on from early childhood, but for all practical purposes it may as well never have existed. Falcon Adventure, on a greenscreen machine running CP/M-80, the short-lived predecessor to MS-DOS (I still have the DOS 2.0 disks for the machine). Fundamentally it was a Bird Week clone (predecessor? Iunno) – defend your nest while bringing food to the chicks – but added so much more. Navigation between side-on Joust-flapping flight screens was done by timing your ceaseless motions on an overhead “soaring” map grid, trying to match your position with a threatening vulture or glimpsed prey. Then, stoop on a moving target and bring home your prize to stave off that starvation meter – a mouse, a squirrel, or given enough ambition maybe the colossal dragging weight of a rabbit, with vultures harrying you the whole way.

6. Zeewolf says:

Cool.

7. udat says:

I like the look of that. It put me in mind of Tiny Wings a bit, in that it too seems to capture some of the glory and freedom of flight, but this looked a bit more relaxing because Tiny Wings can require infuriating precision.

8. kastanok says:

Why is the sun a triangle?

• Urthman says:

Because *everything* in the video is made of triangles. It’s like 3-sided 2-dimensional Minecraft.

• JB says:

I quite like it. The trees are triangles, the mountains are triangles, it just fits nicely.

Also, the game is looking intriguing. Good work, Broken Rules!

9. Tunips says:

Journey, But This Time You’re a Bird?

10. Syra says:

The sky is too big =(

How would I know to go up or down!? I would be flying in the biggest zigzag just to see all of it.

Looks great, and I absolutely adore And Yet It Moves, so I shall keep my eyes open!

11. RagingLion says:

Wow. That looks utterly lovely. I’m in most likely for this one. And Yet it Moves didn’t do it for me from the demo so didn’t end up playing that one.

12. Hypocee says:

It’s funny to hear that the multiplayer’s under wraps, because I played it at PAX Prime last year and I think it may have been the only part that existed at the time. Fundamentally it’s a tag/race variant – one person has a doodad that keeps the screen centred on them; the goal is to touch and steal the doodad, or as the carrier to get people off the screen through speedy/tricky flying. Spend more than a few seconds offscreen and you die, with your respawn time increasing with each frag. I think you win when everyone else is dead at once? It was lovely, although I’m hooorrible at it.

13. Oozo says:

Lies, dirty lies! I do live in the Alps, and lemme tell you: It’s not a hostile environment at all. On the contrary, people here are famous for their tendency to share their bottles of wine with anyone who passes by. Plus: snow is all powdery and fluffy.

14. smilepiper says:

I’m a Linux user and have been playing free games from dotdeb.com for a while now. I’ve been looking at games for other machines for a while now and all this is making me want to try something new.

15. Wedge says:

Oh my yes. I couldn’t stand the look of AYIM so I never bothered with it. This looks nice enough, but more importantly, the gameplay makes me think of a 2-d pilotwings cross between birdman and the hangglider, which is a YES.

16. Engloutie says: