No Rush: 2112 Blends MMO, RTS, And Tower Defense

By Nathan Grayson on May 3rd, 2012 at 10:00 pm.

A robot or Neil Peart. I can't remember which.

Yes, yes, I know what you’re thinking. No, there aren’t any Temples of Syrinx in the announcement trailer for Emobi Games’ 2112. I checked. I cannot, truthfully, speculate as to these people’s general awareness of Canadian progressive rock – though that’d make a wonderful first email exchange. At any rate, 2112 sounds wildly ambitious on paper, and – while the footage largely consists of mechs marching and tanks making treads – it’s certainly not skimping on dingy dystopian visuals. The short version? It’s a “free-to-play MMO game that combines strategic base defense gameplay with deep customization and the visceral action found in RTS games.” It’s also sticking to the tried-and-true sci-fi strategy trope of three “unique” races. So no Rush, but maybe a little rushing? We’ll see. Check out the debut trailer after the break.

Emobi also recently released 7554, an admittedly less-than-stellar FPS about the controversial First Indochina War. So, needless to say, fingers – especially the ones used for conniving gestures – crossed that the developer has a better grip on MMORTS tower defense than it does historically accurate man-shooting. Unfortunately, I haven’t the foggiest idea of how all those puzzle pieces are going to fit together, and Emobi’s keeping things extremely vague for now.

I’m definitely pulling for it, though. I mean, I really enjoyed Age of Empires Online until horrific balance issues resulting from a meta game that permanently upgraded units threw my big book of tactics in a woodchipper and beat me to a pulp. If Emobi can figure out a better matchmaking system and just generally design its strategic layer to be more compatible with MMO genre conventions, it might be able to craft something special. Or maybe it’ll just make a half-baked, completely shameless StarCraft clone. Time will tell, as 2112’s set to launch late in 2112 (minus one of those ones, maybe).

« »

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Anthile says:

I’ll wait until we can see some moving pictures.

• evilbobthebob says:

Now it’s in the limelight, hopefully we’ll have a witch hunt to determine its vital signs.

something something YYZ

• identiti_crisis says:

I thought at first, from the trailer, you could Fly by Night, in the scene containing those lovely Vapour Trails, but I dunno, I guess it was mixed Signals, like it was stimulating both Hemispheres of my brain at once.

• chackosan says:

I like the futuristic theme, so we can say A Farewell to Kings, knights and all that other medieval baggage.

• exsanvbx says:

In my opinion a multiplayer game with a lobby system (similar to WC3 battlenet perhaps) works just as well if not better. Plus it’s not an automatic turn off for people who dislike MMOs.

Magic magic! Fingertips Fire! My hands can burn!

• kukouri says:

Think it is just a reaction to what they think the market wants.

• Kohlrabi says:

I hope that In The End the result is not Something For Nothing for the developers, and does not lead to copious amount of Tears.

2. Koshinator says:

The music for the trailer sounds like a copy of a 2 Steps From Hell track… I just can’t quite find the exact track just yet…

3. Yawny says:

Anyway, it’ll be interesting to see more about this one.

• Shuck says:

“I don’t understand why game developers have such boner for MMO-Something these days.”
      It’s all about having consistent revenue streams – either from subscriptions or “free to play” mechanics. Plus, MMOs = no piracy. Actually a fair number of games that call themselves MMOs are actually multiplayer games with a lobby system – it’s just that when you call it an MMO you can get away with demanding more money, as there are different cost expectations from players.

• Grygus says:

Depending on how one defines “massively multiplayer,” lobby-based games are MMOs.

4. Lev Astov says:

I’m pretty excited for this, seeing as I love all three of those genres.

However, I cannot stand when games put disproportional weapons on things. Did you see the guns on some of those tanks? And those mechs would fall right over!

5. Brosepholis says:

- Pig disgusting western mecha design
    – Tanks with rectangular barrels. Ain’t a spinfusor, buddy.
    – Generic-as-fuck Orca ripoff gunships

6. LionsPhil says:

Blends MMO, RTS, And Tower Defense

That’s like blending Easy-Cheese®, a roast dinner with all the trimmings, and vomit. Not necessarily in that order.

7. kastanok says:

Hey, would a game of Rush’s 2112 be BioShock: Syrinx?

8. marcusfell says:

This…cannot end well. Unless it comes out a copy of End of Nations, which is unlikely.

9. pakoito says:

It’s a free2plCLOASETAB

10. ratache says:

My name is Krazy Ivan, i’m a vodkadrinkin, gunlovin mechpilot. And not to worry, I wont step on your tank.

Malibu Stacey says:

I was with you until “free-to-play MMO game”.

12. Armitage says:

Is it me, or is RPS killin’ it today?! Thank you for finding these things so I dont get fired from my job trying to find these things.