Blood For The Blood God Bowl!

By Jim Rossignol on May 4th, 2012 at 7:30 pm.

There’s a new Blood Bowl edition in the works, Chaos Edition, which updates the game with three new races and a new stadium. To expand the team roster there are, appropriately enough, Chaos Dwarves, Daemons of Khorne, and the handsome Underworld teams. The Khorne team will be able to field a Bloodthirster, which seems a bit like an unfair play to me, but then it is Blood Bowl The new stadium is in the heart of a jungle, and you can see it pictured here. Sadly Cyanide have neglected to mention how the compatibility between this new edition of the game and older editions will work, but as I understand it there’s a good deal of incompatibility between older editions, so…

It’s out in September.

, .

1. CptSqweky says:

As much as I love Blood Bowl and have been pining for Chaos Dwarves in my PC version of the game… I will be sorely tempted to not buy this if I have to pay full price for it instead of purchasing it as an expansion pack.

• DarkFenix says:

Assuming it’s like the Legendary Edition, it’ll be full price but discounted for anyone who owns the previous game.

• SkittleDiddler says:

If history repeats itself, Cyanide will only offer a discount for a limited period of time. Which sucks.

• Casimir Effect says:

This is pretty much one of the few games that would benefit from a DLC model and yet the dev thinks a better way of doing things is constantly release the game again.

Trinnet says:

Yep, this game would be perfectly suited to DLC – if it was done that way instead then players could pay to unlock teams, while simultaniously tempting players by making them play against teams they didn’t have access to.

• kraken says:

That’s actually a very bad idea from an economic standpoint.
          Most players only play very few teams and would only buy those ones and be done with it.
          It would be way better to release team packs that could appeal to a vast majority of players.

Unfortunately they chose to simply re-release the game each time they add a couple of teams…

• malkav11 says:

To be fair, Legendary Edition added a hell of a lot more than just a couple of teams. Much more than this version seems to be adding.

Malibu Stacey says:

They must think it’s more profitable to sting you for a large sum upfront because when you realise how terrible their implementation is, you’d be severly discouraged from purchasing DLC in the future.

2. Duffin says:

Great so they’re probably gonna split the player base again. Already been milked enough with the Legendary Edition thanks, unless it’s priced accordingly not interested.

• sinister agent says:

They’ve also made it even less likely that they’ll broaden the customer base. I’d never even heard of blood bowl until last year, and it was a stretch to pay what they were asking. If they think I or many other recent fans will fork out the kind of lousy prices they charge again, they’re kidding themselves.

Also, let’s hope they make the single player not shite, and fix the utterly atrocious server problems they have.

Unless I’m mistaken, they recently discounted the Legendary edition, too. Classy, guys. Present something as a bargain, then after they’ve bought it, reveal that their version becomes obsolete in a couple of months. That’ll really endear you to people.

Malibu Stacey says:

They pulled the exact same discounting stunt with the “Dark Elves Edition” before they released Legendary Edition.
        Love Blood Bowl but same as Legendary Edition, I’m not buying this on principle.

• Duffin says:

I could just about stomach the Legendary Edition because there were alot of new teams. I think it more than doubled the amount of teams available. But 3 new teams?

• bill says:

Not to mention making potential players very confused by continuing to sell all the editions. They’re still discounting Dark Elves edition regularly, and if i hadn’t known better I’d have bought it and turned up in the RPS league all excited, only to discover that I couldn’t play.

And this indecision, and having to post here to check which version is compatible, has put me off buying this game so far, whereas if there was one version I’d have bought it ages ago.

And now I’m not going to buy legendary because this one is coming…. which will probably be full price so I’ll probably not buy if for a while (especially as i won’t know if other people have switched to it or not).

and isn’t there also Dungeon Bowl coming soon?

Insane…

3. Enzo says:

Man, fuck Blood Bowl. MCA died today, this fuckin sucks.

4. buzzmong says:

Unless you can play with people who’ve got the LE edition, then I know no-one in my small community will buy it, as we’ve all got LE.

I *really* don’t understand Cyanide. They’ve got a perfect model to promote DLC by simply letting people who haven’t got it play against people who have, yet they insist on releasing each update as a new game which is incompatible with previous games.

• Heliocentric says:

I would happily play $5 for a race or half that in the occasional sales, but they want $60 for 3 races and the promise of ongoing patching (a dangerous thing in cyanide’s hands).

• Heliocentric says:

I’d be all over DLC races, breaking up the community is stoopid.

Trinnet says:

Maddeningly, there’s a team in the tabletop rules (Chaos pact) which would require no new art assets and no new rules to be implemented, yet they’re not putting it into the game out of what feels like bloody mindedness.

Screwie says:

No new art assets aside from extra mutations for ogres, dark elves and marauders, anyway.

I don’t understand it either. And I certainly don’t want a new unofficial team in their place.

6. Vinraith says:

Dear Cyanide,

Please fix the AI in your Blood Bowl games, otherwise they’re just a prettied up version of BBL. The whole point of putting a board game on a computer is to let you play it without having to find other people to play with.

Sincerely,

Vin

• Duffin says:

Or to play with other people without geographical constraints.

Developing a smart enough AI for BB is extremely difficult because the teams have very distinct playing styles. The AI can just about manage Orcs at the minute.

• Vinraith says:

Or to play with other people without geographical constraints.

Which BBL took care of years ago.

The whole thing is incredibly disappointing.

• Heliocentric says:

Turn based games are excellent platforms for learning neural nets, seriously, have a server network grind out games for a month and you’d have excellent AI.

• Duffin says:

“Yes, gasp and horror, you have to write more than one AI to make this work. I’d have thought that was a given from the beginning, and I continue to be baffled by the fact that Cyanide seems to think of single player as an afterthought.”

Yeh, not gonna happen on a small budget multiplayer game.

• Vinraith says:

“multiplayer game”

My whole point is that it never should have been solely that. Frankly, it’s redundant as that, and a complete waste of the license. Online Bloodbowl clients already existed, the only reason to make a new one is to actually include a single player component.

• Duffin says:

Not sure about redundant, it must have sold well to prompt a re-release in 3 new editions. I’m not sure how many people a stong single player would bring in, not many I’d guess.

• Vinraith says:

You’d guess wrong. The vast bulk of gamers play more single player than anything else, and that’s doubly true among strategy gamers.

• sinister agent says:

I wouldn’t have bought it if I’d known the single player was so shite.

• Clovis says:

Just wanted to add my voice to the argument for SP. I knew nothing about BB until reading the league coverage on RPS. I bought the game and started really loving it after I got the rules down.

Then I realized the computer was completely useless. Since then I’ve just been waiting for a version with at least mediocre AI. It would be fine with me to give the computer extra points/skills, but the AI is so terrible that it wouldn’t matter. The AI doesn’t appear to actually try to play Blood Bowl.

The AI in something like Civ is not great, but a combination of cheats and basic smarts allows me to just pretend its playing the game. The stuff the BB AI does is just ridiculous and completely game-breaking.

I’d think about about paying $50 for a BB AI that’s good enough to occasionally win with a big skill advantage. I haven’t paid $50 for a game in years.

• erza says:

agree!

7. Heliocentric says:

I’m going to move up to the new version if the RPS leagues do, but I’ll be fighting that change every step of the way, unless its a patch for legendary , but what’s the odds of that?

• Squirrelfanatic says:

Agreed, I’ll stay away from this as long as possible if they are charging a price unrelated to the amount of extra content this version delivers. And how could they just go ahead and make up a whole race for themselves when there is still one official race left out of the game?

8. Smaug says:

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

SCULLS FOR THE SCULL THRONE!

• CptSqweky says:

Sculls for the Scull Throne? I had no idea Khorne was so into rowing competitions.

• buzzmong says:

I hear at the weekends he actually spends time down in in the Devon and Cornwall areas.

Scones for the Scone Throne!

• Antsy says:

Khorne actually had a small part in the boat race scene in The Social Network. You’ll have to poke yourself in the eyes and squint a bit to see him.

9. Greggh says:

Ohhh I see wot you did there Jim mah boy, sneaking a little Dwarf Fortress thing in the title, eh?
    Anxious about all those hauling overhauls? (pun intended)

But I digress from the topic of the news, MCA died :O
    THE HORROR!!!

• jalf says:

Huh?

• edwardoka says:

I also thought that “Blood for the blood God” was a Dwarf Fortress reference. Apparently, it is not.

• jalf says:

Oh, that? Yeah, that’s most definitely a Warhammer reference.

Screwie says:

Pretty sure I read on their official forums that Chaos Edition will be backwards compatible with Legendary. Damned if I can find it again now, though. (Chaos Edition has been known about for a couple of months now, as it was accidentally leaked by the French Amazon site.)

• SkittleDiddler says:

This begs the question: why haven’t they made the rest of the editions cross-compatible also?

Cyanide got a bit too greedy with the IP. I hope it bites them in the ass someday.

Screwie says:

Dark Elf Edition was compatible with the original edition, actually.

Malibu Stacey says:

Actually Dark Elf Edition was the original. They just patched the Dark Elves into the original release once players started modding their games & doing it themselves because all the required content was already included in the original, they just didn’t bother making it available. They then “rebranded” and relaunched it as Dark Elves Edition but it was nothing more than the original version running the latest patch.

They were originally saying Dark Elves & one of the Undead races would be patched in to the original game to bring the team choice up to a grand total of 10 but Dark Elves were all they ever did before they promptly abandoned their customers to work on shipping Legendary Edition.

11. Amakir says:

Milk for the Khorne flakes!

12. Ian says:

Sorry, Cyanide. You’ve had more than enough of my Blood Bowl money. New races aren’t enough to make me want to use your woeful multiplayer set-up or piece of shit UI.

13. briandb82 says:

Find lots of cheats tipps & Tricks on http://www.plonki.com & http://www.trailerlounge.de

14. DestructibleEnvironments says:

Thats cool and all, but… is the game actually good? I’m happy they’re adding more races, but what about the gameplay? I’m sure it could use plenty of fixes.