Indie Royale Bundle Defends Some Dungeons

By Jim Rossignol on May 4th, 2012 at 9:30 am.

Rather good fantasy multiplayer tower defence thing, Dungeon Defenders (Wot I Think), is at the heart of the May Indie Royale bundle. The minimum at the time of writing is £3.26, and for that you get Dungeon Defenders, Containment: The Zombie Puzzler, Data Jammers: FastForward, Brainpipe – A Plunge to Unhumanity, and Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space. Paying over $7 worth of cash gets you the musical bonus of this chiptune album.

Right. That’s all the bundle news for now. Unless anyone wants to launch one by surprise in the next few minutes? No? Another cup of tea then, I think.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. kukouri says:

Weird World is also worth a look. But I’m a sucker for SPPPPAAAAACEEEEE games.

2. noom says:

Picked up Dungeon Defenders on 360 a while back and thought it was rather fun, but without friends interested in playing it, I was pretty sharply turned off it by the horrible online community. Not sure if things are any better on the one true gaming platform.

3. eleclipse says:

Honestly is not worth it, DD may seem like a fun game but it’s just a never-ending grind, and rather boring; even if it’s not multiplayer orcs must die is soo much better.

• Lilliput King says:

It’s worth it just for Weird Worlds.

• kukouri says:

I really don’t know how people can keep saying that about DD. Yes, it can be a grind. After like what, 30+ hours of play? 5 bucks for DD plus other games. No brainer.

• antoniodamala says:

The problem is not just the grindfest, but the combat is boring and the art is a piece of shit.

• ChainsawCharlie says:

Well I wouldn’t use that S word. It is just for a younger audience.

• BooleanBob says:

S words are dangerous and should be kept out of reach of children at all times.

• paterah says:

I loved it, played it for 3 months. I’d encourage everyone to buy that bundle just for that game. It’s a steal. No question one of the best multiplayer games of 2011. And they still update it regularly.

4. Dominic White says:

Weird Worlds is the flagship game in this bundle and worth putting $5 on by itself. Dungeon Defenders has been given away on every other site under the sun already, and effectively has no cash value, but the bunch of Digital Eel games here are the important thing.

• Gurrah says:

Most certainly, yes. I’ve been playing that game ever since it was released and it still shines, the music and sound effects alone are well worth it.

• Shadowcat says:

Agreed, and I’m sad that Weird Worlds doesn’t take pride of place (and screenshot) in this article.

Brainpipe is also a hoot, and sucked me in until I had both a 100,000+ high score, and a game with 100 glyphs.

• LintMan says:

Yep, the bundle is worth it just for Wierd Worlds. For those who haven’t played it, it’s an action space explorer, with a lot of the same “feel” as the Star Control series, but geared to play and finish a game in about an hour or less. With randomized maps, locations and events, you go out into the galaxy, discover its wonders and dangers, upgrade your ship/fleet, and survive to make in home on time, with the best score. It’s very fun and a bit addictive in the way many casual games are, in that you keep saying “I’ve got time for just one more quick game”.

I’ve always wished the devs would follow Weird Worlds up with a deeper, more complex version of this game using these same basic mechanics, but a longer campaign overlaying them.

5. Namey says:

Dungeon Defenders is rather good in my experience, but I assume that’s only because I’ve had the pleasure playing it primarily co-op with two friends that are equally in to the games more grindy aspect. It’s certainly proved a good distraction while waiting for bigger releases. But it’s not the kind of game you really get that much out of when playing it solo. The random online populace isn’t too fun to play with, and the game gets exceedingly hard to solo after a certain point.

One notable downside is also that the brunt of the content on the PC side is tied to DLC now. The cheap core game is now only about 20-30% of the available progression EXP and gear-wise. Access to the higher maps, levels and gear essentially requires the purchase of the Eternia Shards DLC pack, which I think is around 10€ on steam. That is something to keep in mind.

• Gaytard Fondue says:

Which is still a bargain. I bought DD for 2.50 on Amazon and the Shards DLC. And so far I got about 350 hours out of 12.50. Compared to the 80 hours I played Skyrim before realising how incredibly boring it is, DD fares well.

6. Malibu Stacey says:

Copy/Paste of my Steam ‘recommendation’ for Dungeon Defenders (posted back in February but even more applicable today)

Game is plagued by bugs, hacked items & developers who don’t seem to grasp the basics of software development. What’s known in the business as a “shoddy port” as it’s console stylings are it’s major failings. Unfortunately it’s sold rather well on PC which will only encourage this sort of thing. Steer clear unless a major overhaul fixes the myriad issues (highly unlikely on past experience) & definitely don’t buy any of the DLC.

Add to that the fact that you need about £15 of DLC to continue progression in the game as the base game is so ridiculously easy (£10 Shards pack, £3 ‘City in the Cliffs’ & £1.60 Series EV character which gets you all the extra campaign maps plus the new character class which is practically required to be able to play at higher levels).

Also enjoy getting booted from your own locally hosted game every time there’s a minor blip in the connectivity between you & the Steam matchmaking servers because their implementation of the Steam API is so bad even VALVe themselves have offered to help them fix it (still to no avail).

The very worst of ‘indie’.

EDIT: Also the linked ‘Wot I think’ is woefully out of date now & doesn’t reflect the state of the current game (for the worse sadly).

7. dE says:

I made the mistake of playing Orcs Must Die first.
    Going into Dungeon Defenders afterwards, didn’t bode well for DD. I played it for a couple of hours, got incredibly bored and irritated by it and never touched it again. For a supposed coop game, everything about it was designed in a way to make people screw their own team.
    Free for all grab them while you can loot system led to people nicking just about everything, even if it meant losing the mission. Experience Points based on kills had people sell my towers because they were too effective and cut into their experience points. And my mousefinger still screams carpal tunnel syndrome everytime I even dare look at the game.

8. wodin says:

As someone else said, worth it for Weird Worlds.

9. mmalove says:

FWIW, my kids absolutely LOVE dungeon defenders. I think it was just made for a younger audience, and those looking for a deeper, more challenging strategy game should probably look elsewhere.

Be forewarened though that the base game is just the hook at this point, because to get anywhere you really need the lost eternia shards pack, which is a 15 dollar set back.

10. jaronimoe says:

Apparently Kieron reviewed Weird Worlds for Eurogamer already once upon a time.

11. Unfair says:

I did a quick video review of all the games in the bundle – the zombie one in particular didn’t play out exactly how I expected from their trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyXi4seiums

hope that helps.

• El_Emmental says:

thanks a lot for your quick reviews of all these bundles :)

12. Retorrent says:

Out of that pack weird worlds was the hidden gem. I already owned DD and the others are ok but after watchinig the trailer for weird worlds it was a insta buy for me. On the devs site the game goes for $24 by itself so for $7 it was a steal. WW is no Starfarer but for what it is I have had a great time with it.

13. hypercrisis says:

between this and the lacklustre indiegala currently running, I feel its safe to say im utterly bored of indie bundles.