Saints Row Stands Alone With “Enter The Dominatrix”

By Jim Rossignol on May 4th, 2012 at 8:30 am.

Hello, ladies.
Open world comedy violence ‘em up, Saints Row The Third, is going to get a standalone expansion. A standalone expansion! Just like the old days. The expansion is called Enter The Dominatrix, and will apparently contain “freaking super powers”. It will tell the poignant story of an alien invasion of Earth. Only the Saints – now a global mega-corporation/slapstick paramilitary – stand between some weird alien dude, Zinyak, and conquest of the world. No other details at the moment, but all will apparently be revealed in the summer.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. CaspianRoach says:

I just have one question — when it will be available to purchase the whole lot at the same time for a reduced price? Overpaying sevenfold for a game is not a thing I enjoy to do.

• kukouri says:

Likely when the next title comes out. Hurts that they are basically taking advantage of loyal customers, but, well, they need to make a living, and if people will pay…

• Timthos says:

How are they taking advantage of loyal customers by making an expansion?

• jezcentral says:

But, Timthos, can’t you hear the clamour of all the people who think that Saints Row 3 is too short and there isn’t enough to do, and that this DLC has clearly been ripped out of the original game and repackaged to sell to us sheeples? CAN’T YOU HEAR THE VOICES?

• noodlecake says:

Exactly. They finished the game in the future. Ripped out some of the content and took the remaining game into the past to sell as the original and then went back to their own time to sell the rest as DLC. :)

• daf says:

I can’t stop myself of pointing out most of the dlc was indeed in the disk as proved by the pirated versions of the game which had it all unlocked.

The publisher is totally in its right to do this ofc but it does make me feel like I’d need to pay an additional 39 euros to get the “full game”.

It does put the question of how much “game” you should really get for your 50 euros, specially when we’re spoiled by companies like valve or even compare it to what you got in saints row 2.

• Frosty840 says:

In Ye Oldene Dayes, an expansion meant that the devs would take £15 worth of stuff from the game you already had (maps, sound effects, stuff like that), then sell you £15 of new stuff. For £15.

With a “Standalone expansion” what usually happens is that they’ll sell you £15 worth of new stuff, and also sell you £15 worth of stuff from the original game. For a total of £30.

So you’re being billed twice for £15 worth of stuff.

To add insult to injury, the MO for “standalone” expansions these days is to create a 5GB “patch” for the original game and make the entire £30 second game effectively “on disc DLC”.

• Mistabashi says:

THQ were selling the game + all 3 DLCs on their own storefront for £15 around christmas time, which was certainly not a bad deal. I wouldn’t be surprised if they do another bundle deal when this ‘standalone’ one is released too.

2. f1x says:

Saints Row the 3 was a lot of fun, so glad to hear this news

Maybe the will include dual weilding dildo bats, one can hope

3. MeestaNob says:

SR3 deserves a proper add on, the DLC were pretty damn low on content… in fact it would be nice if they threw those in for free with this, frankly.

Excited to see what they do with a proper expansion though, fingers crossed.

4. Achire says:

I wish they had stayed with the more grounded style of Saints Row 2. It actually had a fairly decent crime story with well-made cutscenes. SR3 is just a string of “wouldn’t it be cool if…” type missions where half the story cutscenes are mysteriously absent. THQ’s continued financial troubles don’t really make me very confident in the quality of this expansion, either.

• yhancik says:

I can say that for someone who doesn’t give a flying duck about crime stories (and never could relate much to main characters in GTAs), this “wouldn’t it be cool if” approach is exhilaratingly fun ;)

But yes, to each its own.

• Joe Duck says:

So what you are saying is that you missed a deeper story, a story that could make the motivations of your character more defined, as he/she struggles to make an oppressive society accept his/her misunderstood tortured soul… while hitting at wrestlers in the balls with a giant dildo.
      I somehow feel that our nascent gaming media has still not developed the tools to achieve such a feat, maybe after all he who shall not be named was right and games are not art.
      SR3 was awesome because it was really, really clever over the top fun. I usually despise this kind of humour, but SR3 had me hooked for the whole thing.

• Caleb367 says:

Dude, you nailed it. Saints Row 3 doesn’t _need_ the Controversial Criminal Story Of A Tortured Soul Looking For Revenge And/Or Absolution, it literally doesn’t give a flying VTOL purple-dildo-shaped fig about it. It’s all about having awesome fun and making fun of too much stuff to count. Heck, the only thing lacking from SR3 is the sewage-spitting truck activity.

On a related note, I’d bet the Saints version of the Daedalus supercarrier will make an appearance and I’m already salivating.

• Achire says:

If we ignore the wrestlers, you have just perfectly described GTA: Vice City. All I’m saying is that you can have games of varying silliness from GTA IV’s rather boring seriousness to the old GTA’s (and SR2) and then on to SR3, where absolutely anything goes and you have zombies, human cloning, laser weapons and now aliens and super powers (next up Cthulhu and Time Travel). I enjoyed the old style more. Clearly most here did not, or skipped SR2 entirely due to the horrible PC port.

• Azdeus says:

I actually enjoyed SR2′s mix, and something that was lacking in SR3 was the little cutscenes for the sidemissions that added alot to the feel of the game. Now the sidemissions don’t add that much to the feel and is something I just did.

• Teovald says:

warning : SR3 spoilers
        THIS. SR3 is easily one of my favorite games of 2011 and one of the only ones I will remember in a couple of years from now.
        Whereas GTA IV spent a lot of energy in developing a serious tone and story, SR3 goes for the over the top extreme silliness. Driving with a tiger shotgunning, silly blood bathes with luchadores, jumping from a plane to another one,… The game is most of the time hilarious and in a world where everything is a farce, playing a character which is a murderous sociopath that scream insanities each time he drive someone over is surprisingly fun and you don’t have to be a sociopath yourself to like it, it is just part of this absurd farce.
        The ending is the only thing that I hated. I don’t see why I have to choose between letting my friends die so I can kill a man that I have already exacted revenge on and saving my friends, becoming some corporate puppet in the process since hey, I am a pussy that can’t sacrifice a couple of friend in order to kill someone. Really disappointing ending.

• f1x says:

Yeah for once, I enjoyed to play a game where I could you know, have fun, in a mindless way

I’m not saying every game should be like that, but its nice to have the option aswell

• noodlecake says:

It didn’t have a decent crime story at all. It was immature and silly like third game. All the gangs dressed in ridiculous outfits and the script felt like it was written by a child. I think it needed to go the whole way really to properly separate itself from being a terrible GTA clone. The story was poor, the characters were awful and cheesy, the physics aren’t very good, the cars don’t feel like they have any weight at all. Ramping up the sillyness was definitely a good move.

That being said I only play SR3 because GTA IV makes my fairly reasonable gaming that can run The Witcher 2 at 1920×1080 very unhappy. I’m still hoping that GTA V will be ported properly.

I also wonder why more games down’t make good use of Euphoria. It’s so amazing when handled right. Character animation/physics in GTAIV and Red Dead Redemption is still head and shoulder above every other game ever made.

5. Fizics says:

Super powers, jumping through a sandbox city… Wasn’t this game called ‘Crackdown’?

• frightlever says:

Crackdown was fun but kinda run out of new things to do pretty rapidly.

6. FlammableD says:

Kind of dickish after the DLC season pass, which really wasn’t worth the money, but I got it bundled with the game really cheap, so never mind.

7. Williz says:

It’s a standalone expansion?

EXPANDALONE!