The Wrong Side Of Red: Waking Mars

By Adam Smith on May 4th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

Let sleeping gods of war lie

With Lovecraftian tactics having recently ported from iOS to PC, it’d be great to see more games following the same path. There are plenty of interesting developments in the touchy world of portable gamesquares and one of the most interesting is Waking Mars, an exploration game in which the puzzles are based around manipulating and understanding the interactions between alien flora and fauna. It’s quite a special treat and developers Tiger Style, also responsible for the exquisite Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, have announced today that they “are taking early steps to bring it [Waking Mars] to PC/Mac/Linux later this year”. Splendid news.

The blog post that contains the port news is a longer piece detailing sales numbers and the company’s pricing philosophy. It’s interesting that one of the reasons given for the high ($4.99 is high!) price point is as follows: “Launching at $4.99 also reinforces the idea that the game is serious and significant, and that it’s not “just a mobile game.” We hope that this game’s long tail will extend out beyond the App Store.”

Hopefully that means the PC version will come with at least one bell and a penny whistle. Here’s the original trailer.

, , , .

1. frightlever says:

Snapped this up on iOS once the price dropped to a couple of quid.

RedViv says:

But the chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, they said!

3. Kaira- says:

I somehow always misread the tile either as “Waking Wars” or “Making Wars”. I am slightly disappointed it’s not RTS because of this.

• Berious says:

I can’t unsee “Wanking Mars” which is slightly disturbing.

4. OOS says:

I absolutely adored Spyder when I played it on iOS, (it was a brilliant example of how to build a story and atmosphere without using any dialogue) so i’ll definitely be on the lookout for this one when it hits Windows.

• Sheng-ji says:

Spider was amazing and they kept releasing content for free for ages! These devs really are good and this game looks every bit as amazing

PoulWrist says:

Is it just me or do games like this and other quality titles that get posted on not exist on Android? So far, the only game that has managed to stay on my phone (Galaxy Nexus) longer than about 5 minutes is “Super Sudoku” … is this the highpoint of android games? I mean I can see plenty of fun in having this or that Dark Scavenger game on there, it has a big enough screen and performance enough that playing such games on a boring trainride where I can’t get to use my laptop or a long busride or sitting on the john at work would be just great..

The Sombrero Kid says:

When you couldn’t run native code on android we (& most other dev’s) didn’t give it a second look, suffice to say things are changing fast & i’d expect that android will over take ios in this regard within 2 years, esp. if valve throw in steamplay for android.

• frightlever says:

Depends what you’re looking for. On Android I have iOS stalwarts like World of Goo, Majesty, Angry Birds, Dead Space etc.

On Android only (though I think coming to PC) there is the likes of:

Which is Star Traders RPG. There are several other games from the same devs in similar vein and Lite free versions of all of them.

• Shuck says:

Yeah, unfortunately Android just isn’t a very inviting platform to develop for right now. It’s incredibly fragmented – there are so many devices, all running different, older versions of the OS (whereas on iOS, almost everyone has the latest version of the OS). So for Android you spend a lot of effort on legacy support that you don’t (at all) on iOS. The Android development tools I’ve seen are painfully bad. The Android app stores have various problems, and most of all, Android owners just don’t spend much money on software. So the end result is that anyone doing Android/iOS games spends 80% of their development time on Android, but gets 80% (or more) of their revenue from the iOS side. Which means it isn’t worth it for most developers.

• pertusaria says:

There’s a short, interesting discussion of this over on the Gaslamp Games blog (the devs of Dungeons of Dredmor) as part of their FAQs for the iOS version they’re developing. In short, Android is a highly fragmented platform, a bit like PC only more so, and there’s also a perception that fewer Android users buy apps.

6. minerwilly says:

Looks like Exile on the BBC. Brill.

7. kael13 says:

I have this on my iPad – by Christ do the controls get frustrating later on, when you need to push little air-filled seeds around.

8. Lev Astov says:

I randomly happened upon this game when looking for unique touch-designed games, rather than the trash that fills the iOS market. It was wonderful! Waking Mars on PC would be pretty great, indeed.

9. Justin Keverne says:

This game is worth it for the Looking Glass Studios in-joke alone.

10. Tei says:

One of the best iPad games, but I don’t know how it compares as a PC game…

11. Eclipse says:

why I always read “Making Wars”?

12. Finbikkifin says:

This game is awesome, and I’ll buy it again. I bought it a while back and forgot about it, then started playing again at 8 last night.

It’s the first time in years I’ve literally not looked up until 2 in morning, and then because of a low battery warning. I finished the game off with the battery at 2%, spent 1% browsing the Internet, and slept. And dreamed of Mars.