The RPS Bargain Bucket: saVy

By Lewie Procter on May 5th, 2012 at 4:23 pm.

This week’s bargain bucket is being delivered through the hazy mist of a splitting hangover. I may feel a little rough around the edges, but it’ll take more than drinking just a little bit too much alcohol to dull my Savy senses. It was the SavyGamer 5th anniversary party last night, good times and inebriation were had by all. Were you there? Thank you for coming! Were you not there? Well circle the 5th of May 2017 in your calender now, because you better bloody come to the 10th anniversary party. Here’s the games that are cheap that you should consider buying with your pocket money this weekend:

Tropico 4 – £7.49/$9.99
The fourth and most recent of those Tropico games. Here’s wot Rob thought:

Tropico 4 might be too gentle to satisfy budding authoritarians, but it more than compensates the urban planners and aesthetes among us. The trappings of dictatorial power and Cold War rivalry merely serve to make a good city-builder more interesting, but I can’t help but wish Tropico’s theme were more than decoration. As it is, Tropico 4 is the kind of theme park it has you build for tourists. The illusion wears thin after awhile, but it’s a nice vacation spot.

More here.

Sanctum – £1.74/€2.49/$2.49
Bloody fantastic tower defence/FPS mashup thing. It’s like a regular tower defence, except you get to run around and shoot baddies in the face. It’s got lots of numbers flying all over the screen when you do a shooting (much like Borderlands), a very satisfying railgun, and it’s got coop for up to four players. In fact, you can grab it as a four pack for just £5.24/€7.49/$7.49 (that’s £1.31/€1.87/$1.87 each). I bet the sequel is going to be brilliant too.

The Batmans
Arkham Asylum [Goatee Edition] – £3.40/€6.80/$6.80
Arkham City – £9.99/€13.99/$14.99
Arkham Bundle – £19.99/€28.99/$29.99
Rocksteady’s massive, broad and deep games about that crime solving sociopath that sometimes dresses up as a millionaire playboy. I think overall I preferred Arkham Asylum, Arkham City was a little flabbier, but both are absolutely worth investing your bat-time and bat-money in. Adam said this of Arkham City:

The most exciting thing about Arkham City, beyond the sheer joy of actually playing, is that it’s not just more of the same. It’s more of everything else as well, which can be detrimental. But despite perhaps sounding overly critical of some aspects, I wouldn’t hesitate to say it’s one of the best games I’ve played this year. There is an enormous amount to do and now that I’m finished, I feel free to do it, no longer constrained by the fate of Gotham I can solve all those side stories. And even though I have a redwood-like backlog, I think that’s exactly what I’m going to do.

And then here’s Alec on Arkham Asylum.

Brainpipe: A Plunge to Unhumanity, Containment: The Zombie Puzzler, Data Jammers: FastForward, Dungeon Defenders & Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space – £3.09 at time of writing.
Another time-limited bundle of indie games from Indie Royale. The only two I’ve put any real time into here are the two Digital Eel games, and both of them are easily worth the price of entry alone. Brainpipe is a game about flying down a tube, dodging baddies, collecting collectables, and listening to the beautiful beautiful sounds. The real question is how come no other games have freaky eyeballs for their menu icons. Data Jammers is a top down, lane-shifting journey across a neon city and breakneck speeds. This is what games from the future used to look like in my imagination, and here they are, ready for you to play. Amazing. Most of these register on Steam, and Dungeon Defenders & Brainpipe come with Mac flavoured versions too.

Deal of the week
SavyGamer 5th Anniversary Sale
If you’ll forgive me plugging my own trumpet, I am deal of the week this week. Well not really me, it’s actually all the lovely developers that agreed to make their games available for reduced prices this week as part of the SavyGamer 5th anniversary festivities. Wasn’t that nice of them? There’s some of my absolute favourite games from the last few years all for the cheaps. The likes of Waves, Leave Home + fren-ze, Scoregasm and Time Gentlemen, Please! all come highly recommended, but everything there is worth a look. Thanks to all of you that have used my little website about cheap games at any time over the last five years, you’re the best!

Also of note:
Amp, Watts & Circuit – £1.99
That thing EA did that made everyone get a bit shouty.

__________________

« | »

1. Unfair says:

As always I have a quick video review of the Indie Royale “May Hurray” bundle (Dungeon Defenders and the other 4 games) – if anyone wants to see them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyXi4seiums

The zombie one in particular surprised me with unusual gameplay.

• Martel says:

Thanks Unfair, I’ve watched the last few you’ve put out and really appreciate them. Especially when it’s a bundle I already own part of, helps me with those decisions.

• Unfair says:

I started doing it on a whim, but the response has been pretty good and it’s rather interesting – keeps me on my toes too, seems like there’s a new bundle every week on average now. All of the game companies are trying to capitalize on the new marketing method.

I think what companies like EA are missing though is the difference between a Steam sale and an indie bundle. Part of the magic of the formula is price – when you start charging $21 for a bundle that’s just marketing labeled as indie.

The true appeal of these bundles in my opinion is being able to buy one game you know (or strongly suspect) will be fun for $5-10, and getting a few other more obscure titles to try along with it. Often one of the others will turn out to be a gem as well. That’s the magic.

• nxzicwd says:

As a like game otaku! Play the game a variety of tools must be a good choice! I recently purchased a PS3 wireless controller! It to do better than with other types of products! The price is also cheaper! http://me2.kr/4FWZmk

2. dangermouse76 says:

Morrowind is on sale on steam UK as well. Incase you have not tried it £6 or there abouts.
    Cracker with some HD texture mods.

3. Andy_Panthro says:

Someone really needs to make a new Streets of Rage game, using a similar sort of combat/game engine as the Batman games. I think it would be quite a good fit.

4. Pointless Puppies says:

I want Tropico 4, but sadly it’s not the Steam version.

I’d be against being all “Steam exclusive” with my purchases but buying the retail version of Arkham City a couple of months ago reminded my that’s actually a good idea. I can’t buy any of the DLC that’s on sale on Steam right now and it’s extremely unlikely that it’ll ever be on sale in the MS store (AFAIK, the only place to buy DLC from if you have the retail version).

• bit_crusherrr says:

It’s a shame you can’t buy the DLC from Steam. I bought Arkham City the other day and was wondering where my DLC was. You need to enter the code Steam gives you on GFWL. Nightwing is a pretty cool guy too.

• Tams80 says:

As this is a UK based site don’t be surprised US deals coverage isn’t that great. There’s no Far Eastern or Australian coverage in the posts themselves so frankly be grateful you get anything.

• Stromko says:

I found Tropico 4 rather disappointing, even knowing that it was essentially just an expansion pack upon Tropico 3. They redid the voices and the new ones don’t have any flavor or pomp to them, and the new ministers are just an annoying gating mechanic to stop you from using edicts at the start.

They introduce a pseudo-RPG mechanic in which the traits you choose improve each time you complete a mission with them, but they’re just numbers that go up until maxing out at level 5– again you’re really just spending time to unlock the same differentiating effects that you would’ve already got in Tropico 3.

Overall, it’s a much more guided experience, with a revolving cast of 3 – 6 objectives constantly advising you on what to build or produce next on each island. I’ve put easily 100 hours into Tropico 3 and its expansion, but Tropico 4 only mildly entertained for about six hours before I lost the desire to go back. I don’t even feel like playing Tropico 3 anymore, as the changes in 4 did refresh things briefly, but not enough.

5. alundra says:

So last week we get a nice coverage of deals on Amazon and GetGames, surprise surprise, now it’s obvious that it all was because Procter was out of the picture.

Now we are back to the usual, piss poor mediocre, UK only, coverage of deals.

Get Far Cry 1+2 on Getgames, 6.25usd, and on Amazon we get more DXHR goodness @ 75%off +
    Dungeon Siege 3 going for 4.99 usd.

Somebody fire this guy, I know I’m not the only one who checks this entry every weekend just to see what’s found in the comment section.

• Postposterous says:

Thanks for the DXHR tip! Got the augmented edition for 8 bucks. Sweet deal.
      Though I gotta say I usually like Lewie’s coverage. I wouldn’t want him fired for missing US deals – I mean, this *is* a UK-based site, after all. Deals on Amazon downloads (like DXHR and Dungeon Siege), for example, are only available if you have a US billing address.

• RobF says:

Let’s not fire Lewie, eh? Considering he’s gone out of his way and negotiated deals with a load of developers *and* GetGames so everyone can get money off stuff.

And he’s lovely. And does a great job on the bargain bucket. Etc…

Give the guy a break, just because the article doesn’t have something you want in it, there’s no need for that.

• Tams80 says:

• trjp says:

Lewie is based in the UK so he covers the UK – a few people who live in the colonies will occasionally grumble that the deals he lists don’t accept their inferior currencies (Flanian Pobblebeads etc.) and he tries to help them too

BUT

Instead of whining about how you’re not getting a custom service for your lazy ass, how about you set up Savybutfatter.com and post US deals for US types??

or you could invade Savygamer, cut off the fingers of the locals as trophies and throw Lewie into Guantanamo Bay (after flying him around the world for torture first of course).

What? Too soon??

• Terragot says:

I have to admit I’ve stopped using the article and head to the comments. Maybe we could make this a comments only thing & where Lewis just pops in to update the featured things. No shame in that right?

• Llewyn says:

Or you could just keep a thread running in the forums instead.

And Sinister Agent is, not for the first time, entirely correct.

• sinister agent says:

It shows a staggering lack of class to start bitching on the site’s fifth anniversary, when everyone involved is obviously very pleased and quite rightly just trying to have a nice time.

Fine, complain about the totally free service by all means, but the least you could do is wait a week instead of pointlessly clouding up someone else’s picnic.

• trjp says:

I am struck by the irony that my post about how Lewie does this to help people and this ballbag of a person is moaning about it – was eaten by the spam filter – but the shit the OP said wasn’t.

We should probably pander to the yank tho – otherwise he’ll invade us and deport us – torture us and generally be as obnoxious as it seems the US goes out of it’s way to be most of the time.

p.s to clear this up – Alundras post, not the one this fucking comment system chose, at random, to attach this to.

• alundra says:

Yeah well, I’m sorry the truth hurts you so much. This is not new, it has been happening for a good while now. I’d rather have RPS take direct criticism and use it to improve than to blindfold myself before giving them rimjobs.

And what was that about a free service?? So because it’s free it doesn’t have to be a quality one?? Very classy logic btw.

• jaheira says:

You can criticize the service all you want alundra, but there’s no need to be quite so rude about it. If your intention is to get it changed your more likely to succeed if you express yourself politely, I would have thought.

• alundra says:

Yeah yeah, specially after seeing how you are always pressing to keep the status quo.

• jaheira says:

I have no idea what that means, probably because it is not a coherent sentence.

• sinister agent says:

Alternatively, you could develop some basic reading comprehension skills. I explicitly pointed out it’s fine to criticise. Waiting until a day of celebration to do it, however, is just thoughtless and miserable. And now you’re starting to go beyond simple criticism into self-righteous abuse of anyone who disagrees with you.

Nobody at RPS will listen to your criticism if you don’t put it reasonably and constructively. It wouldn’t hurt to contact them directly either, I’d imagine. “Don’t read the bottom half of the internet”, and all.

Kindly stop putting words in my mouth. To answer your question: firstly, many, many people consider it a quality service, and secondly, the mature thing to do if you don’t like a free service is to simply ignore it. You have lost nothing by its failing to meet your standards.

• trjp says:

Lewie works pretty hard to deliver what he delivers – if you don’t like it, there are loads of other places to get your bargain info (including the forums here which runs a bargains thread).

Bitching because he’s not catering for a country he doesn’t live in (this is a UK centric site written by people from the UK) makes you look at ass tho

• Sleepymatt says:

Pretty hard to sack Lewie, given that he isn’t actually employed by RPS eh?

• Mac says:

It’s not exactly a free service is it – i’m sure Lewie does alright out of the referral cash.

I still don;t get the lack of Greenmangaming deals though (except this week of course :p )

• trjp says:

The links in the Bargain Bucket do no earn Lewie any money – his deal with RPS is that he doesn’t do that, so he doesn’t do that.

Links from Savygamer and his Tweets etc. obviously DO earn him money – but that’s nothing to do with the Bargain Bucket is it?

• jrodman says:

Hm, this makes me want to click through to savygamer more.. It’s a shame that I just get overwhelmed at the listing of endless deals.

Maybe a conversational game deals listing format would work well?

• Llewyn says:

@jrodman: Despite generally disliking social media, I usually have the Savy twitter feed open in a browser tab. I find this is a relatively accessible way of keeping up with Lewie’s findings.

• Sleepymatt says:

And even then.. referral cash doesn’t actually cost *you* anything…

6. GT3000 says:

Pretty much spot on, Alundra. I don’t even bother with the article anymore.

• trjp says:

But you have to time post your unwanted crap in it anyway – how is that “not bothering with it”.

Couldn’t you just – I don’t know how to put this any other way – fuck RIGHT off instead?

7. Zeewolf says:

There are three Digital Eel games in the bundle, not two… and Weird Worlds is usually considered their best game too.

Also, I’d think the Paradox-sale at Green Man Gaming was worth mentioning..?

8. KDR_11k says:

Hm, am I looking at a biased sample or do games with numbers that fly up always have enemies that are total bullet sponges and without the numbers you wouldn’t know that you’re even hurting them?

9. cocoleche says:

Just want to echo what Alundra said. I skip the main article and head straight for the comments.

10. Njordsk says:

The steam link for EA bundle doesn’t work here (FR). Maybe it’s UK only.

can’t seems to find it on steam directly either.

11. mwoody says:

Weird Worlds is a fantastic little game. Like a 4x space roguelike designed to be finished in five minutes. Digital Eel’s other work might be pretty or easy on the ears, but that’s their gameplay zenith right there.

• malkav11 says:

I’ve asked elsewhere, but I’d be curious to know how Weird Worlds improved over the original Strange Adventures in Infinite Space, which was little more than a random event generator, with no meaningful gameplay decisions to be had and no depth whatsoever. It certainly -looks- like Weird Worlds is just more of that.

• Shadowcat says:

malkav11: Weird Worlds is a greatly improved version of SAIS; however if that was what you thought of SAIS, then I can guarantee that Weird Worlds is not going to tickle your fancy either.

12. Ravenger says:

Batman AC has 3 layers of DRM – Steam, Securom limited activations and GFWL which is excessive to say the least. The limited activations are the dealbreaker for me.

It’s a shame because without the Securom limited activations I’d have bought it at release for full price, but I won’t buy it at any price with that much DRM.

• d32 says:

I’m in this club too – I’m not waiting until it gets cheaper and cheaper, but until it removes at least two of these:

3rd-party DRM – SecuROM
      4 machine activation limit
      Games For Windows – Live

• Buttless Boy says:

Ditto. Looks like a fun game, but each level of DRM makes me pay less for a game. I subtract $10 for Steam, $20 for GFWL, and $30 for limited activations. The current non-sale price is $30, so I’m afraid I’m gonna need Warner Bros to pay me before I install their game.

• neolith says:

GFWL crap & Securom are still in there? Bummer, I would’ve bought the games otherwise… :(
      Thanks for the info, Ravenger.

• celozzip says:

meh. it’s your loss.

• Llewyn says:

Agreed. There’s no way I’d pay full price for a game with this (frankly stupid) level of DRM applied, but once it drops to an acceptable rental-level price it seems silly to object to it for the same reasons.

• trjp says:

I’d normally agree but there’s no way you’ll ever see this game released without GFWL and that’s the real stopper for me.

A LOT of people have lost savegames as a result of GFWL and god forbid you lose your GFWL/Windows Live account (security made of tissue paper at best) because that’s your saves gone too.

I’ve spent too much time recently sorting out compromised LIVE accounts to think that there’s anything other than a security haemorrhage within MS somewhere – and I think the number of XBL players who’ve now NOT been ripped-off in the FIFA scan may be in single figures…

Not that boycotting it will do much – just play AA and realise you have the better game anyway…

13. psychoconductor says:

There appears to be a whole lot of complaints about someone who went out of their way to get some awesome games discounted for us.

At any rate, I’m trying to get my pal in the states to get the Renegops discount, because I’ve been bugging him for months.

• Martel says:

Agreed. I appreciate the weekly posts, I don’t always have time to focus on the deals sites themselves. And I love that I can find more deals in the RPS comments, but I consider that a good thing, not a bad thing. Isn’t that part of the RPS community that people come here for, the comments?

• jrodman says:

How can we communicate more directly in this thing?

If your US friend remains recalcitrant, I’m happy to sling it your way. The RPS hive mind can pay me back in some fashion, I’m sure.

Do you mean the US$7.99 price on steam, or something else?

(My steam profile is at steamblahblah/id/jrodman )

14. sinister agent says:

If you’ll forgive me plugging my own trumpet,

Gross. Wrong website, Lewie.

15. Shadowcat says:

I always wished that Digital Eel would get their games ported to Linux and go the Humble Indie Bundle route. This Indie Royale thing is still a great bargain for the customers, but I don’t think it’s got remotely the visibility of the HIB.

“Weird Worlds” for ~$5 is by far the cheapest I’ve ever seen it, easily worth the price on its own, and you get the wonderful “Brainpipe” for free into the bargain! (“DataJammers” makes for a very nifty freebie as well). Plus some great music, some other Digital Eel freeware, and also those non-D.E. games that I know nothing about.

Definitely a great deal. The Digital Eel folks have been making games (indie and otherwise) for many many years, and they know what they’re doing. If you’ve not checked them out before, this is an opportunity worth taking.

• RobF says:

Digital Eel are pretty much heroes to me. There’s no-one out there like them and I adore them for that, and for never sitting still on just the one thing.

Great prices for some wonderful unique works.

16. Oneironaut says:

Another good deal going on now is the Amazon Oh So Fine bundle. It has Psychonauts, Stacking, and Costume Quest for $10.00, or you can get them individually.

Psychonauts: $1.99
    Stacking: $7.49
    Costume Quest: $2.99

It requires a US mailing address, but because it’s all Steam codes, you can use a fake address to buy the games.

17. kwokkang says:

I know it’s worth it to try to date someone online, for you can meet so many people who can potentially become the one for you. Meeting the right one was not an easy job, but I found the one for me on –sugarmommydate dot com–, a place where you can meet people who are serious about starting a relationship. You can check it out, it’s a great site for ones seeking a partner online.

Comment on this story