The Sun Has Got His Moneyhat On: Grim Dawn Funded

By Adam Smith on May 8th, 2012 at 11:00 am.

there's gold in that thar valley

Forget the rest of the loot-gathering crowd for a moment and concentrate your senses on the other ARPG. The one that isn’t a sequel but does see much-loved developers working in a genre where they have excelled in the past, the one with non-linear story progression and different factions to side with. Yes, it’s this one, Grim Dawn from the designers of Titan Quest. Although well into development, the game recently surfaced on Kickstarter and I explained the reasoning behind that move. Now, with 10 days to go, the target has been reached.

Tremendously good news. It’s a project I’ve been excited about since it was first announced and, like many of you, I’ve seen enough to make me a believer in what the team aim to achieve.

I know many of you are believers because one of the earlier updates on the Kickstarter page included this little infomagraphic showing where pledges come from.

reach for trumpet, lips pursed

So, what does this teach us? That you’re a stingy bunch, that’s what. Right up there in terms of numbers but lagging behind the next two sources in terms of actual dollars pledged. I’m guessing that means the $8000 man isn’t among our readers and there won’t be a Horace related side-quest. Shame on you all.

Of course, it could also mean that you’re also pledging your hard-earned to a million other things as well and the real lesson is that you’re all as handsome as ever.

Also, we are officially seven times bigger than Facebook and deserve a fast-talking movie of our very own. And eleventy billion monies.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

El_MUERkO says:

$3.50!! I gave him a dolla!

She gab dat damn lock ness monster a dolla!

2. Antsy says:

Hmph! I gave more for this than to the other kickstarters, so there!

3. Tony M says:

We’re not stingy! That just verifies that RPS readers are smart. Since Kickstarter does not return any share of the profits, theres no sense in contributing any more than the minimum bid to get a copy of the game. Well, I guess theres logic to exceeding the minimum bid if you could consider yourself a patron of the arts, but we’d rather be disciples of Lewie P.

• Torn says:

$34.76 average donation, which isn’t bad.

I don’t really see how this’ll compete with Diablo 3, but maybe one to play during battle.net maintenance? ;)

• malkav11 says:

That’s not strictly true. A good Kickstarter will have additional benefits at every reward tier, so it’s really only a question of whether you want any of those additional benefits enough to pay the asking price, same with most other commercial propositions. In Grim Dawn’s case, I don’t, so I’m backing for the game-minimum. For Double Fine, I went one tier up for things like the soundtrack and HD downloads of the documentary series. For Wasteland, I think I ended up at about $75 because I wanted stuff like the Stackpole novellas. For Ogre, I’m at $154 because I want the game, the pocket edition (free with $150+ pledges) and wouldn’t mind extra dice and counters, of which I can get extra sets of each for a total of $54. Order of the Stick got $224 or so from me because I wanted the entire printed set of OOTS collections plus the other swag.

Thermal Ions says:

Of course we all may already have pre-ordered/supported the game prior to the kickstarter, and as such the RPS referrer amount may be more of a “top-up” that combined with the pre-order effectively places RPS readership at the top of the table.

Aren’t we potentially great?

5. mondomau says:

Hold up there, Smith – If I’m reading that right , RPS was still the largest source of referrals and funding by an entirely external site not affiliated with either the devs or kickstarter.
    That’s pretty good going for a bunch of stingy PC misers.

• Adam Smith says:

Blimey – I didn’t think people would take me seriously! It’s clearly a splendid showing and there’s not a Scrooge to be seen round these parts.

• mondomau says:

Whoops! Sorry, I wasn’t clear – that wasn’t a indignant sarcasm detector failure, I just wanted to re-iterate to anyone reading how impressive a contribution it really was. Even though RPS was ‘only’ the third highest contributor, the fact that that figure comes via a purely independent and non-affiliated source shows what kind of heft you guys can wield as an influence in the PC gamer community – it also lends weight to the concerns raised in the RPS article about coverage of Kickstarter projects a little while back.

Skystrider says:

Great news for Crate! Congrats to them. :-)

By the way, Jane Jensen’s project also met its funding goal just before the weekend, not sure if RPS has reported about that yet. And there are two space-game kickstarters that has released playable prototypes, but RPS has not reported about those either.

So yeah, it’s great that Grim Dawn got its funding and all, but don’t forget about all the other awesome stuff goings on there. ;-)

Yachmenev says:

The kickstarters keep kicking. Jane Jensens Moebius point&click adventure has also reached it´s goal, 11 days left.

8. Tridae says:

all these new ARPGs,- loving it but I’ve been wondering – many of them have been in development for a while with a chance of finishing before the release of Diablo 3. Do you think it’s better to have made sure you release before Diablo 3 or wait till after it’s release? I’m not quite sure.

On one hand releasing before D3 would get you people that are waiting for D3 and would play yours in the meantime but also you’d lose people who are just waiting for D3.

On the other hand releasing after D3 you could ride the popularity wave and get more people that loved D3 and want more, but then you’d lose out on the people that have had their fix. . .

Not sure which is better

• Freud says:

I don’t think this is a genre that bores people or dilutes their interest. It’s highly addictive gameplay and historically these games sell very well.

The only game that might see a big D3 effect is Torchlight 2 if it’s released so close to D3 that people will still be busy playing that.

• Kamen Rider says:

Grim Dawn dev has stated that the release of Grim Dawn will likely fall sometime around this time next year. He’s hoping people will have got their D3 fill by then.

• e82 says:

Considering that this game hasn’t even left Alpha yet – by time it’s ready for an open beta, let alone a final release – it’ll be long after the release of Diablo 3.

I think the other ARPGs coming out should probably be less worried about D3 – but about the other smaller games vying for some market share in this genre.

While I can see many people picking up D3 + another one of the smaller ARPGs – I doubt you’ll see as many pick up D3 + Path of Exile + Grimm Dawn + Torchlight 2 + The other ones coming out within the next year or so.

9. Hoaxfish says:

How does this referral “detection” thingy work anyway? I mean, how does it know someone was specifically from RPS? Because I went to their kickstarter page multiple ways.

• caddyB says:

I reckon you click the rps link to their kickstarter and pledge.

Lars Westergren says:

You can use Javascript to access the DOM “document.referrer” property and see which URL a browser came from. But obviously it only keeps track of your current visit, so if you first came to the page via RPS, thought about it for a few days, then Googled for the Kickstarter and then pledged, you will be counted as coming from Google.

alphager says:

Now if only Starlight Inception would also reach its funding goal; they are 35’000$ short and have 16 hours to go… http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/732317316/starlight-inceptiontm/posts/222620?ref=activity

Oozo says:

Just came here to mention the Starlight Inception-Kickstarter as well.
      I’m actually surprised that they struggle to get funded; the genre is well overdue for a resurrection, and the pitch was not really splendid, but solid enough, I thought.

• Brass_cankles says:

The problem with Starlight Inception is that they botched it in the beginning by not knowing their target demographic sufficiently well. As Kickstarter pledgers in general seem rather idealistic, starting out with “launch DLC” at higher tiers was commiting a cardinal sin. When they then proceeded to ameliorate this, they ended up having a confusing overview of their tiers/rewards (e.g. 2 $30 tiers and 3 $60 tiers). When they can’t do a Kickstarter well, potential pledgers go elsewhere. Additionally, they went on a shitty marketing tour, including heading into the Codex with some standardized PR talk, further showing that they had no idea who to market the game to. With a Kickstarter project, the core audience are the ones that pledge and do the most of the marketing efforts. Grasp over too much, and you end up with nothing.

That being said, I do support and have pledged to the project. I just find it a little sad that it would likely have been funded a long time ago, had they only spent a couple of days on researching their target audience before launching the project.

Oozo says:

Ah, I am personally a bit resistent against DLC-stuff, so I maybe didn’t even spot that… and I haven’t heard about the marketing tour, either.
          But, granted, the mails they sent out every once in a while with all their “We don’t know anyone at Kotaku, but you do, maybe?”, sounded a bit… naive, as well.

I still support them, simply because I think that the game itself could turn out to be fine, but yeah, marketing-wise, they still have a lot to learn.

• Brass_cankles says:

Well, those emails, as well as the overt desperation in the recent updates sort of illustrate the point ;)

Just to make it clear: They removed the launch DLC – it’s all included in the lowest tier now. However, that’s not evident for people who just pass by their page to look at the tiers (even though there is an update on the very top of the front page telling that the launch DLC plans have been scrapped)

I’m sure your resistance to DLC (particularly the launch kind, as well as the little value for money kind) is shared by a lot of gamers, myself included. Personally, I don’t support projects that does not support my basic ideals for video game products (for instance, I require no launch DLC and a DRM-free version of the game), and I hope others do the same. After all, making a pledge is typically making a very high-risk investment, and as such the developers should treat the pledgers with respect (as opposed to cash cows).

edit: Their Q&A over at reddit is a pretty good read, and it’s what made me pledge to the project. It can be found here: http://redd.it/sjtdk

• Lemming says:

I’m probably the only one, but I didn’t go near it because I thought the game title and their initial video text was awful:

“100 years from tomorrow. The future is a dangerous place. We need the Starforce. The Starforce needs you”

Sorry but that sounded like it was written by an imbecile.

Skeletor68 says:

I heard about it here and went to the Kickstarter page later that evening so I suspect even more of us got in on it than it seems.

Edit: Should we leave a comment once we pledge to say that we ventured forth from RPS from now on?

I’ve only pledged over the amount for a copy of the game for Double Fine and Banner Saga because the rewards were so cool. Since there has been such an onslaught of new titles I can’t afford to give a large amount for the rest.

Looking forward to:
    FTL
    Grim Dawn
    Double Fine
    Nekro
    Wasteland

I don’t even remeber pledging for Shadowrun and Starlight Inception! RPS is practicing some kind of voodoo on me.

P7uen says:

If Dawn = Fandango I’d put down my life savings.

13. Ironclad says:

You should all make it up by funding Starlight Inception:

It still needs $ 35.000 and only has 14 hours to go (at the moment). If you liked Wing Commander, X-wing and Freespace2, you’re going to like this game. Go fund this beauty. Also, the two main leaders are not taking any salary from this.

I’m dying for a decent space combat sim.

14. Strangerator says:

I blame RPS for not making me want this game bad enough.

15. Kamen Rider says:

To be fair, I donated to it before I read about it on Rock Paper Shotgun. Hell to be honest I don’t even remember RPS articleing about it.

I did originally pledge $35 to the project. As the days went on I saw the amount of cash inflow slowly decreasing so I got a bit worried and went ahead and upped my pledge to 85 of my hard earned doshes. Which is probably more than the total amount of money I’ve pledge to other KS’s combined. I’m quite the sucker for ARPGs though and this one has a lot of promise and seems to innovate quite a bit where a certain other ARPG dev said that innovating in the genre seemed to be a bit difficult.

That being said I do have one complaint about Grim Dawn. It’s not out right now! I want my Grim Dawn and I want it right now! Satiate me internet! SATIATE ME!!!

16. GSGregory says:

Crap I don’t have 8k…. When I saw from the designers of titan quest…. ugh just ugh why must they be so good they make me want to spend vast amounts of money.

17. Aterdux says:

Congratulations on Crate! We backed each other long time ago and it’s great they reached their goal and still have a lot of time to get extra funding.

18. sharkh20 says:

I bought it a long time ago from their site.

jrodman says:

Of course, the 64 dollars I contributed to it was partly due to RPS; but will be shown under grimdawn.net