Just A Little Something: Souvenir

By Jim Rossignol on May 9th, 2012 at 11:30 pm.

Experimental FPS game Souvenir is, well, a bit broken. It’s a work in progress, though – part of a Design and Technology MFA – and not certainly broken enough to obscure the fact that there’s a tremendous idea in here: a gravity-plane-changing mechanic that pushes into the territory of Psychonaut’s Milkman level, while playing with spatial relations in impossible Escher-like surroundings. The glitchiness of the main mechanic was a little frustrating, but only because I was tantalised by this work in progress. If they can get the bumps in the road sorted out, make the play as polished as the dreamlike visuals, and bolt an end on, then it could be a fascinating experience. You can try it for free on PC and Mac just here.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Stardog says:

I played for a bit, but then got stuck inside the bed…

The visuals are great.

2. Mr. Mister says:

I’m just imagining someone behind cover seeing a grenade fall from the sky (AKA launched by someone in an opposite-faced floor above him) in front of him.

3. Robert Yang says:

Please note that THERE ISN’T AN ENDING YET. Command-Q or Alt-F4 to quit out of it. (We built it for a gallery kiosk…)

Also: please try it again in a few months!

We’ll have (a) an ending, (b) more stuff, (c) a tighter narrative, (d) a movement mechanic that doesn’t randomly jettison you into space sometimes.

Also, please leave us feedback here: http://www.blog.radiator.debacle.us/2012/05/souvenir-prototype-build-08-is-public.html or e-mail us at somebody[AT]souvenirgame.com.

• ColdSpiral says:

I was just about to say that I enjoyed the experience until I got to the point where the tiniest little step up (as are found all over the school) would cause me to fall off the world.

• Bremze says:

What are you talking about? Movement mechanics that randomly jettison the player into space are the best movement mechanics!

4. Skabooga says:

Neat little game, very good at creating a pensive atmosphere. Some pretty views to be had, especially some nice panoramas in the distance. Although as every one else mentioned, good luck if you miss a jump/launch.

5. Shooop says:

Just glanced at the screenshots and immediately downloaded. I like M.C. Escher’s art and a game environment based on them is something I just have to try.

6. Phantoon says:

The Milmkan level was the best level.

LOOK AT ME BE PEDANTIC ON THE INTERNET! I AM SO COOL!

7. Tridae says:

That screenshot is the somehow the most exciting thing I’ve seen in ages. I haven’t even played it yet and I’m about to pre-order. Time to check it out, looks amazing

8. brulleks says:

The design is great, both aesthetically and structurally, and I like the concept. The controls need tightening massively.

I’d suggest the developers take a look at Plain Sight for an idea of how to make this kind of control scheme fluent. For a start, the ability to latch on to any surface from anywhere else – particularly whilst plummeting into the air – would be vital to making this a fun experience.

Also – the jump control. What is the point of it? Either make the jump large enough to be of use, or remove it entirely and make the shifting of gravity the only mechanic. Again, having played Plain Sight, I’d suggest there is more scope for the former, but it depends on what you are hoping to achieve – a puzzle/platform game that relies purely on manipulating gravity, or an exploration game that allows the player completely free reign of their environment?

Perhaps start by asking ‘what is the challenge we are setting for the player’?

9. Williz says:

You mean Milkman level right and not Milmkan?
    #Corrections

10. Snegletiss says:

I WANT AN ENDING! :U

11. RagingLion says:

This looks great. I’m definitely interested in hearing more about this once it’s done. Please remind me RPS.

• RagingLion says:

I’ve had a play now and I really love it – I did so for 10-12 minutes maybe but didn’t want to play anymore because I’d rather not spoil the experience for when it is finished but I could have kept on exploring for ages. I like how bits still feel architecturally interesting and put across a sense of something even when you can approach them from so many angles, e.g. the running track is clearly a running track on its curved path – it still has an identity (I mean more than just that but it’s hard to express).

I glanced off of surfaces I wanted to travel to a number of times which I didn’t expect. I just anticipated if I can click on a surface then there’s no way I can fail to land there – the inbetween travel is just arbitrary whereas I eventually go the sense that at least for the moment the physics of the inbetween travel affects whether you’ll successfully catch onto the surface you’re targeting and that fine angles don’t work perfectly.

I like the tone. The accompanying music seems good. This is exactly the kind of thing I want to play and experience. Keep up the good work.

12. TomxJ says: