Serious Sam Second Encounter Seriously Encounters F2P

By Nathan Grayson on May 9th, 2012 at 8:30 am.

Gah, Sam, quit blinking. Now kill those men again so we can get a better picture.

Hm. This sort of came out of nowhere. Well, maybe not nowhere, exactly. I mean, free-to-play has voraciously consumed the hearts of every other business model and gained their powers, and Croteam’s been known to host the occasional F2P weekend from time-to-time on Steam. But it still surprised me, OK? Gosh. At any rate, this is exactly what it sounds like: Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter’s versus and survival multiplayer modes will – beginning May 15 – attempt to carve out their own niche in an increasingly crowded F2P landscape. Probably with bombs.

So, how much bang will you be getting for your unspent buck? Well, Croteam’s specifically mentioned CTF, Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Instant Kill, Last Man Standing, My Burden, Survival, and Team Survival, but actual business model details remain shrouded in… something. Probably bombs. Will we purchase cosmetic upgrades? Guns? DLC? I’ve mailed Croteam for more info, so you’ll know as soon as I do. The developer has, however, given concrete info on a new $4.99/£3 “Legend of the Beast” DLC pack, which will include three maps a piece for campaign, versus, and survival.

Also, here’s this thing, which is probably the best worst PR quote ever:

“Just the thought of all that extra cash is making me download some content into my pants,” claimed Fork Parker, CFO of Devolver Digital, “Profit makes me horny.”

So, er, right. Regardless, it’s an interesting move – and an uncharacteristically cautious one for a company whose answer to piracy is a giant pink scorpion monster. I imagine, though, that success here could see Serious Sam: BFE’s multiplayer make a somewhat louder entrance into the rowdy, shootout-prone F2p saloon. In truth, though, I usually play Serious Sam for single-player. Does its multiplayer have any long-term value? Or is it mostly a sideshow to SP’s main event?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Was Neurotic says:

Brilliant PR. A little bit of knowing humour and gentle self-mockery goes a looong way. I’m so tired of all the po-faced bullshit the gaming industry revolves around.

2. John Connor says:

One trigger pulled, two guns shoot.

3. Syra says:

Aw may15? I will be too busy killing demons. For the rest of my days.

4. Eclipse says:

Serious Sam multiplayer is actually great fun, very old skool fps action.
    Playing the single-player campaign in a 3-4 people coop is awesome too (it supports up to 16 players in co-op!)

5. Zeewolf says:

He’s seriously the ugliest game hero IN THE WORLD.

6. Ridnarhtim says:

Maybe they’re just hoping that people will buy the full game, and more importantly BFE, after trying the free MP?

7. JackDandy says:

The TFE and TSE MP modes are very fun to play. Much better then BFE’s, that’s for sure.

8. Max.I.Candy says:

Never played the SS HD versions but i am curious about them, I still regularly play SS:TFE (classic) and thats pretty much perfect as it is.
    I started playing the new one and could only get about half way before i loaded up the original and havent gone back since.
    So it worth buying the HD versions?

• bear912 says:

If you like shinier versions of the same game, then yes. They’re essentially the same as the “classic” versions but with better graphics and some other polished bits. They might have even added voice acting. I don’t recall.

Also, it might be worth giving SS3 a second chance, as my understanding is that it gets much, much better after you make it through the first part of the game.

9. bear912 says:

Multiplayer’s fine and all, but co-op is where the real fun lies.

10. Timthos says:

That picture is from Serious Sam 2 though.

Comment on this story