Buenas Noches, Buenos Aires: Reversion

By Adam Smith on May 10th, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

Reversion is a freeware adventure game set in a collapsing Buenos Aires, with civil war and other excitement going on in the background. I know that all sorts of exciting things have happened in the recent past because a doctor told me. He had to tell me because I’ve woken up in a hospital bed with a severe case of amnesia. Whenever I find myself in control of an amnesiac I smash the emergency glass that covers my Hat Of Exposition Deflection immediately. That once robust garment is now in tatters and every time I breathe, I regurgitate a fragment of the couple of decades’ worth of fictional Argentinian future-history that’s been inflicted on me.

“I’m intrigued about remembering how and when it was, how it developed?” I ask the doctor, even though to do so shall surely lead to nothing good. He is brief, at least, although most of his explanations are along the lines, “I don’t really understand why/how/who”, which almost makes it anti-exposition. I’m almost definitely being overly critical, after all there’s nothing forcing me to click on every possible response, but I’m always worried about missing something important, or funny, or both.

Maybe in Reversion all the laughter and chin-stroking is just beyond that hospital. It’s beautifully painted and I’d like to see more but Dr Explainaway has poisoned me for now. Maybe I’ll take another look when more than the first chapter is available, if I hear good things. Go and play it and tell me if there are good things! Tell me if there is a detailed explanation as to why the lead character displays his belt buckle so prominently and whether it is as much like the charmless Runaway series as my brief impressions suggest it may be.

Also, watch this trailer and be confused by the Argentinian man who takes up residence in your ears for its duration.

Fear not – although the voices within the game are about as English as a frank discussion about ‘Adolescent Issues’ between a father and son, there are words written on the screen that everybody can read. Except for people who can’t read English and they’d be fools to stare at my incomprehensible ravings for this long anyway. I only wish they could look upon this gibberish and know that every word of it is an expression of deepest affection for them and all that they stand for.

Ngiyakuthanda.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Eddy9000 says:

If the main plot involved waging war on a small group of self determining island folk, and the civil war, urban decay and political problems were just backgrounded side quests then it would be a pretty authentic representation of the Argentinian governments approach to politics.

Maybe Sean Penn could join you as a companion, requiring regular donations of cash to continue following you.

• Wild_Marker says:

Jeez, is that how brits see our government? Gotta admit it’s quite close to reality. Though the main quest is always the fight to see who’s top dog of the country (imagine if everyone wanted to be the equivalent of Putin, exept there’s LOTS of contenders) Everything else, Falklands included, is always side quest here.

• sopabuena says:

Thank you for your deep analysis of the situation. That’s about as accurate as the britisih politics being represented by thieving pirates

• Eddy9000 says:

I’d hoped that the tone would be taken as more satirical about the use of the Falklands as a diversionary tactic by the Argentine government Wild-M, rather than 100% serious, but appreciate that much tone can be lost in written text. But yeah, the Argentine government doesn’t get much press here other than over the Falklands so you appreciate that we might have a fairly narrow understanding of them. I’m sure many of them do good work otherwise, and the only grudge I hold aginst the Argentine people after my last visit was that everyone was better looking than me.

And British politicians *are* thieving pirates generally, but when leaders of a country that wasn’t invented when the Falklands were settled makes claim to land where people have lived democratically for generations and do not wish to be part of that country you can see where the bad press comes from

• sopabuena says:

I’m sorry for taking your comment so literally. I’m quite aware as how our goverment handles the situation and it’s the second time in a few years where the islands are used as diversionary tactic. And we all know the first time went.
          I understand where the bad press comes from and I’m willing to agree with you, but it’s also a sensitve subject for us. A de facto goverment with a drunkard as head declared the war, so I guess we had it coming. But we lost many kids there and many generations where brought up being told the island were rightfully ours, so it’s kind of a big deal for us too.
          I agree with you that the tactic our goverment uses is cheap, to say the least, and that Olympic ad was completely unnecessary.

• El_Emmental says:

Hilariously (in a cynical way), future generations will care more about virtual “lands” (until drinkable water, fishes and crops production start dropping, that is) than these big rocks (also known as islands) with such a small bandwidth connection.

• Eddy9000 says:

I don’t think anyone blames the Argentinian people, the British would have an awful lot to apologise for if their population was held responsible for the actions of their politicians!

• dreadguacamole says:

Sopabuena said most of this, but to give a bit more context for non-Argentines: the first war was a desperate diversionary tactic by a military de facto government on its last legs to shore up support with jingoism.
            I’d be very interested to know what was thought, if anything, about the islands before the war.

• pilouuuu says:

Maybe Sean Penn could join you and do nothing at all, like in the movie Tree of Life.

• Subject 706 says:

Or just do what he does best, being a self-righteous moron with ideological blinkers on…

2. TheBuff1 says:

I love you too

3. realmenhuntinpacks says:

Have to say, I ruddy well love the (now not-so) new bloods on RPS.

4. Inigo says:

But I thought the Bugs dropped a rock on top of it.

5. somini says:

WHAT?! You have to like them on the Book of Faces to download the game? I’m not that eager to play the game, thankyou.

• Lego says:

You don’t. It just takes a while to load.
      Here. http://static.reversion-eljuego.com.ar/reversion-setup.exe

• pertusaria says:

The Facebook thing seems to be a skippable “extra”, where you can just close the pop-up window to roam free and un-friended. This got me to the download without any pernicious social networking.

• ale.3f says:

Hi people, i’m one of Reversion Developers.
      There is no need to like us to download the game , but being facebook so massive, it will help us to make a viral marketing and why not, get the attention of some sponsors.
      We would like to keep developing the next chapters and doing it so the end user doesn’t have to pay for it.
      We want to make the game 100% free to play.
      We had a low budget so yes, it’s far from perfect and it’s our very first videogame development.
      We really appreciate this post.
      Thank you very much admins and users from RockPaperShotgun!

• rareh says:

Is there any hint system planned, i am kind of stuck in the beginning.

6. PopeJamal says:

“Go and play it and tell me if there are good things! ”

Hey! I thought that was your job!

If we have to do your job, then WE should get all the internet fame, female companionship, fast cars, and bags of unmarked currency.

7. wodin says:

So we invade the Falkland Islands then? As it’s supposed to be Argentine future and all that.

edit to say I was to slow…I see it’s already been mentioned.
    Has anyone seen the Argentine propaganda Olympic advert? They surely are itching for a fight. This time the way we’ve cut back our Armed Services I don’t see it being as easy. If we even bother to defend the place, which would be disgusting if we didn’t but hey we live in a risk averse society were soldiers shouldn’t get shot at.

• MD says:

I assume you’re you volunteering to kill and die there?

• Apolloin says:

Not that I don’t decry what the last two governments have done to HM Forces BUT we’ve had about two generational improvements since the Conflict and the Argentinean forces are pretty much using the same kit.

Not only that but we have upgraded the fixed defences and increased naval and troop concentrations there. It wouldn’t go like it did last time.

Disclaimer: I don’t believe in the concept of a ‘short victorious war’. They never turn out to be short enough or victorious enough for the price in blood.

8. sopabuena says:

Maybe to detract from all the uninformed opinions on the political tension between Argentina and England we should talk about the game.
    I’ve played the fist chapter and it’s pretty good. I was actually surprised by it, but it’s far from perfect. Character animation is pretty bad and some puzzles are illogical, in an old-school way. You will get stuck, something that doesn’t happen as often in modern adventure games.
    I loved the art and the setting. Spanish voice acting is pretty good and so is the music. The game is certainly enjoyable and I would recommend anyone with an interest in the genre to give it a try

• wodin says:

If you think Argentina isn’t trying to goad us you are uniformed.

9. El_Emmental says:

This is the first time I’m genuinely interested in a hat (and I clocked more than 500 hours in TF2).

10. adonf says:

I’ll try it when it’s out in the autumn.

Oh wait…

11. fsaenz says:

Hello!!
    I’m one of the developers of Reversion, and now we are trying to raise funds for the second chapter of the game.
    We will really appreciate you support!
    Thanks in advance!