Dishonored Release Date “Set” For October 9/12th

By John Walker on May 10th, 2012 at 3:30 pm.

Steampunk skellingtons are TWF.

We may not be getting BioShock: Infinite this October, but stepping in to fill the gap is what – in my brain at least – occupies a similar space: Dishonored. It’s set to be released on the 12th October this year. Unless you’re in America, when it’s the 9th. Or Australia, where it’s the 11th. Really?

Wait, hang on, I made a rule about this yesterday. No. It’s bound not to be coming out in October, because this is the first announced release date. Expect Dishonored some time in 2017.

In an unofficial poll just taken place inside my head, Dishonored was voted the number one most anticipated game of 2012 so long as I don’t check to see if there’s something else. Which is an accolade you can expect to see emblazoned across all promotional material. It’s Harvey Smith, it’s espionage, it’s assassinations, it’s possessing rats. I’m set.

You can read Alec’s recent preview of the game right now, if you want.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Torgen says:

I was so much more interested before the possession, teleportation, and mind controlling rats parts were known about. Now it just makes me sad to think about. =(

• Unaco says:

Which were all things that were revealed with the initial announcement of the game (July 2011), and have been known to be included since we’ve known about the game itself. So… when did you have interest in the game?

• DevilSShadoW says:

“I was interested in this game before it was mainstream”

• HothMonster says:

I was extremely interested when they said a playtester had found that you could strap a bomb to a rat/fish then possess that animal and take him on suicide missions and they fought the urge to remove it. I am a fan of any game that gives me a big bag of tricks and dares me to think of something they haven’t.

2. Prokroustis says:

do want.

Morlock says:

You are getting old when the first thing that comes to your mind after reading the headline is “that soon?” and not “ohmygodhowlongdoihavetowaitimustplaythis!”.

• HothMonster says:

When its months away it seems soon to me but when its a week away if when I start freaking out.

• El_Emmental says:

same, I expected like mid-2013.

Perhaps it has to do with the fact that we all known quality needs time, and it’s impossible that a publisher actually set a credible planned release and accept to delay a game when needed.

The game can’t be released “on [publisher] time” and still be good.

That would be an anomaly. And we all known how people believing in anomalies ended up. Sad, angry and lost.

Developers need to fight with their publishers for months, risking going to court over milestones-induced hypocrisy more than once, to finally release the game and prove everyone quality games can still be developed and released.

4. Brun says:

Wasn’t there supposed to be a Part 2 to that preview? What happened to that?

5. BobbleHat says:

With such a (relatively) close release date I’m still a little concerned that we haven’t seen a single piece of in-game footage yet, especially since this doesn’t really seem to be getting the attention of many people who aren’t already Harvey Smith/Arkane fans. Still super excited about it though.

• kraken says:

There has been in-game footage shown. And a live demonstration for the journalists.

• BobbleHat says:

Gameplay footage? I can’t seem to find any.

• HothMonster says:

There is a bunch of in-game footage in these videos but no straight 5 minutes of someone playing or anything like that. Though I believe that is what they showed the press, someone actually playing.

• Meldreth says:

Well, no gameplay footage has been released publicly yet, but a lot of journalists have had the opportunity to see some. And given all the positive reviews ( ahem, positive ? Ok, amazingly promising reviews ), I highly doubt that Bethesda, or Arkane, are just teasing us with amazing-sounding ideas, when in fact their game is nowhere near finished, or maybe even too hard to actually ever get done.
          There’s really no worry to be had, they may just want to keep some surprises. Even though we already know a lot about the gameplay, seeing it in action would be something quite different, I think.
          Or maybe, all these reviews are fake. Maybe Harvey Smith never worked on Deus Ex. Maybe Raphaël Colantonio doesn’t know anything about immersive games, Maybe they’re both just throwing fancy ideas in the air.

6. woodsey says:

‘In an unofficial poll just taken place inside my head, Dishonored was voted the number one most anticipated game of 2012′

My equally accurate polling has returned precisely the same results. Although I do hope they rectify that dreadful spelling mistake in the title.

• Jad says:

That’s right, it should be D1shonored.

It’s the first game in the franchise, after all.

• Eddy9000 says:

I might trademark ‘Di2honored’ and ‘Dishonor3d’. That way I either make some money from the titles or they don’t get used at all, either way I’m a winner.

jezcentral says:

And, if course, “Dishonor4d”. It seems to be the way these things are done nowadays.

7. Bostec says:

Hope this comes out this year, sounding good. in other news Diablo 3 has seemly been sold out on Amazon already, never seen that done before on a pre order. Good job too as I pre ordered it this very morning.

8. Renfield says:

It would be interesting if the game were indeed releasing on October 9/12th, as a kind of post-modern statement on release dates.

• Fanbuoy says:

Geez, can’t you see it’s all about time zone difference? Duh..

• Renfield says:

Why yes, it’s the evening of the 7th in America as we speak.

tomeoftom says:

Man, I don’t care in the slightest about Bioshock. Dishonored will be where it’s at.

10. Stevostin says:

I am waiting that one way more than Bioshock III. I don’t like plasmid, I think Bioshock storytelling was not that good, the gameplay not that great wich unexciting weapons taking huge visual space and gameplay requirement (“kill 2 big daddy every level”) annonying. Also last fight was somehow ridiculous. I didn’t play Bioshock II (although I bought it at a stupidly low price). Bioshock III has plasmids (yuck), annoyingly bad storytelling and the female character totally prevent me for any kind of interest.

OTOH Dishonoured look good AND bold, provdes a decent FOV, decent weapons. It still has some ridiculous super power but at least it doesn’t come from drug. Gameplay looks way better, as does story.

I still expect Bioshock III to be the best Bioshock, but Ken Levine isn’t the one really knowing how to do those games. My money is on Colantinon/Smith for that.

11. Shortwave says:

On my birthday! (11th)
    Boo-yea, I’m down with that.
    Can’t wait, I know what I’m asking for. Ha!

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

October, eh? Perfect timing. By then I’ll probably have exhausted everything to do in DayZ.

JB says:

I *thought* i saw you on there (EU5 i think). I’ll give you a shout next time =)

Hodge says:

2017, eh? Will give me time to wear down my unplayed list, if nothing else.

• f1x says:

You must be one of those rare ones that adquire games faster than they can finish them

Just like me!

14. UncleLou says:

I am also a lot more interested in this than in BS:I. I am not even sure why, but looking at footage, I just find Dishonored immediately more appealing. I also was a huge fan of Dark Messiah though, which probably helps.

15. derbefrier says:

fuck yeah 2nd most anticipated game this year behind D3 of course. cant wait to see what this game can do

16. Suits says:

unless i see some gameplay

17. kud13 says:

1 day before my birthday? By the time Steam finishes download, it WILL be my birthday!

sweet.

This is my only “probably must-buy” this year.

18. povu says:

What happened to part 2 of the Dishonored preview that was supposed to be posted the day after, as mentioned in the last sentence of the preview? It never was.

• Meldreth says:

Yes, I’d like to know that as well. But hey, we can wait. I would just like to be sure if Alec is eventually going to post it, or not. ( He did mention in the Shotcast [ or Sexcast, whatever you like most ] that he was working on it. )

19. ResonanceCascade says:

Freaking perfect. It’s almost as if they were waiting for Infinite to get delayed before they committed…

20. Iskariot says:

I have such high hopes for this game that it scares the hell out of me.
    How will they ever live up to that.
    But one thing is sure, I will buy this game on day one if it is not infested with some ungodly DRM.

• derbefrier says:

being a Bethesda game i would expect it to show up on steam. would love to see this on the steam workshop along with skyrim also with that said has their been any word on mod support for this game?
      i dont remember ever seeing anything on that

21. Betamax says:

Sweet, on my birthday. I’ll take that as definitive proof of this game’s brilliance, then.

22. Shooop says:

We need this to be good. The developer attitude of “Hey someone did something in our game we didn’t expect. That’s awesome, let’s make it a feature!” needs to be encouraged.

23. SuperNashwanPower says:

General comment of positive anticipation #134

24. Dozer says:

It’s being released in the same year that I celebrate my birthday! Sweet.

Also I forgot to buy scones from the supermarket and now I feel sad and unfulfilled.

25. Snuffy the Evil says:

My birthday is on the 10th and I am an American. All right!

edit: There seem to be quite a few October birthdays.

edit2: publishers take note