Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Trailer Is A Sombvertisement

By Nathan Grayson on May 10th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

Aw man, I dropped my ice cream cone.

Continuing its trend of, er, nontraditional trailers, Ubisoft’s stirred Ghost Recon: Future Soldier‘s pre-launch pot with a taster that’s… well, it won’t bore you. That much is certain. It’s not quite a sadvertisement along the lines of, say, Dead Island or Mass Effect 3‘s case of the sunflower weepies, but it does attempt to get inside a soldier’s head both on the battlefield and off to, well, mixed results. Basically, this faux-documentary makes a leaping grasp at somberness, only to bellyflop into a cavernous abyss of cheese below. Fortunately, if that’s not your thing, it still ends with the requisite solid minute of explosions. It’s basically National Geographic: Explosion Edition, honestly. A tropical city? Smithereens. Frozen wastes? Sorry global warming; the Ghosts beat you there. A jungle? Sure. A forest? Duh. Space? Does that make them space ghosts? I’ll stop now.

So that was really something, huh? I’m not entirely sure what sort of thing, but I have to – on some level – applaud Ubisoft for attempting to vary up its promo materials. I mean, certain other games more or less have the market cornered on dubstep and laser horses – though admittedly, this is still very much in a similar “future war is scary and real and scary” vein. Regardless, Ubisoft’s dropping Ghost Recon: Future Soldier into hostile, relentlessly judgmental territory on June 15. We, of course, will immediately intercept it and use scary future tools to dissect its every naked inch. And we’ll also, I suppose, play the game at some point.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Xzi says:

Very, very meh. I had some interest in this game a while back, but I don’t think the weapon customization will give me enough reason to ignore the fact that it’s attempting to do the exact same thing as every other grey-brown “modern” shooter out there. Can we loop back to the age in which side-scrolling beat em’ ups were the most popular thing in gaming? Or RPGs? Or fighters? Basically I’ll take anything as long as it isn’t more of this crap.

Thank god there’s still Planetside 2 to look forward to this year. Only shooter worth “buying.”

• Wreckdum says:

Agreed. I’m done playing these games that get 12 year old boys hair standing up because they feel like they are a war hero. Besides being bad games they are mindless propaganda. I wonder how many kids ended up in Iraq or Afghanistan because they loved Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Keepin Amurika safe!

2. Njordsk says:

The new COD?

Ubisoft logo was good though.

3. f1x says:

The uncanny valley is strong in this one

4. Network Crayon says:

# “Swiing Looow…. Sweet Charriott…” #

5. Ross Angus says:

Doesn’t Nathan wake up early? He’s from The America, you know.

6. skittles says:

Certainly a high dosage of pixellated cheese that leads into announcing Tom Clancy’s: Modern Warfare.

7. Drayk says:

i am never interested by those War FPS… They make war seems like too much fun. I prefer a more fansastic setting, or plain silly game.

I love Borderlands, Vanquish, Gears of war, Bulletstorm, Bioshock or even Crysis because they don’t try to play the gritty, real warfare card. (Some more than others…) But those Call of duty games and the like ? No thank you.

8. Syra says:

I thought this was a 3rd person shooter so clearly it’s not explained very well.

Decent enough trailer actually.

9. Secundus says:

hey thanks for pointing out that a dumb boring thing is less boring/dumb than another dumb boring thing

10. Squire says:

I don’t want to be an soldier anymore, why can’t we be a cook.

Casey Ryback in ”Under Siege: The Game”

11. er910 says:

I’m looking forward to this game. It looks like they are using Splinter Cell Conviction’s controls and camera.

12. asura kinkaid says:

oh snap! kotaku trolls found RPS.

i don’t really mind that they prefer games about unicorns farting rainbows, but why do they comment on a story about an fps? far too many people labour under the impression that their regurgitated opinion on ANYTHING is relevant to EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE and at all times. the irony of complaining about something being of a dull hue for the umptinlioth time is obviously lost on these highly original thinkers.

• f1x says:

Thats not a problem of Kotaku, its pretty much everywhere in the interweb,
      and we are all part of the problem, dont think you and me are above the others, myself sometimes I cannot resist to troll…

to fight trolling and haters => contructive and positive posts, you wont fight hate with more hate

unless you are from the Bible or something

13. sinister agent says:

Future Recon: Soldier War. God, I’ll never get tired of this.

14. Contrafibularity says:

It’s basically National Geographic: Explosion Edition

So.. pretty much like National Geographic Channel on most days? What’s that, you haven’t watched NGC in a decade? Oh boy, are you in for a surprise.. it’s basically turned into “war documentary channel” only instead of WW2 it’s now about Bush, Blair, The West & Friends’ Glorious Adventures and Escapades Into Some Foreign Lands Which Absolutely In No Way Shape or Form Could Be Constituted As The Single Biggest Policy Mistake In Recent History. Even worse, it’s been like that since BEFORE Rupert Murdoch acquired it.

15. El_Emmental says:

I think there is more explosions in this game than NPCs.

And you can’t talk to the monsters, the monsters !

16. lijenstina says:

“Outnumbered and outgunned.”
    US army is the underdog in every conflict. The military budget should be at least 6000 billions $ just to reach the levels of equipment of a third world militia.

Comment on this story