Max Payne 3’s Launch Trailer Is A Week Early

By Adam Smith on May 10th, 2012 at 5:29 pm.

Maybe the launch trailer arrived before the game because Max Payne 3, like it’s titular bearded/cleanshaven renegade cop/angry vest, is currently diving toward its release date in slow motion. It really wants to be on your hard drive, honest it does, but it wants to arrive in style and preferably while shooting sixteen guns simultaneously into every other game you have installed in order to make room for itself. Whatever the case, the video should be filed under ‘portentous’ and ‘containing admirable discussions of the nature of healing and time’.

I can’t seem to write anything about Max Payne 3 without pointing and laughing. That shouldn’t hide the fact that I’m giddily excited about it.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. J-snukk says:

Good to see the poetic melodrama still seems to be competently doing the rounds.

2. ZIGS says:

dat music

3. Lemming says:

30G of that install space is used by Rockstar Social club no doubt!

4. dsch says:

“Santa Claus is coming”

5. Loopy says:

I like that a lot, a,most makes me want to buy the game!

6. Drake Sigar says:

I guess it wouldn’t be Max Payne without brooding, though “I had a dream of my wife. She was dead. But it was alright.” does seem to wrap up this whole wife thing quite neatly. I hope they don’t bring that back again.

• Jesse L says:

That was SUCH a good way to end the second game. LOVE that.

• Jesse L says:

At first I wanted to skip this one purely out of respect for the previous game, especially with the ending from the hardest difficulty. But now I’m okay with accepting this game as semi-canon, a what-if story. Whatever false mental constructs I have to create, I’m going to have this cake and shoot the hell out of it too. Euphoria technology in slow-motion, in a dedicated shooter? OMG yes.

• LennyLeonardo says:

I’m not sure I understand what the hell you mean. Why would skipping the sequel be being respectful? How did you even bring yourself to play Max Payne 2?

7. Xari says:

Am I the only one who thinks that voice is terrible compared to the one in the original Max Payne games?

• Nova says:

That is the voice from the original Max Payne games. Just a bit older.

• Unaco says:

Probably… Because it’s the same voice as in the original Max Payne games. The same voice that has been used for Max in all of the Max Payne games, James McCaffrey.

• Drake Sigar says:

Yep, exactly the same. Except now he’s doing an impression of Max Payne from Boston. :)

8. Njordsk says:

I loved it. And it’s already preordered

9. Iskariot says:

I want it. Especially since Rockstar said they would not be using GFWL.

10. nootron says:

Can someone explain to me the logic behind launching Max Payne 3 on the same day as Diablo 3?

I’m genuinely interested in knowing the decision making process inside a company. E.g. is this strategic somehow? is it hard to change the release date once they found out D3 was launching at the same time? Or maybe they just figure the games are different enough that it just doesn’t matter.

Personally, I would have bought Max Payne if D3 weren’t coming out. If Max Payne came out TODAY, I’d buy it tonight and play the hell out of it. But because it comes out on 5/15, I won’t play it until next quarter probably.

• Brun says:

The target audiences for both games are different. It’s okay to release two big games at the same time as long as you aren’t targeting the same audience.

• xGryfter says:

The console versions come out next week, the PC version comes out on the 29th… At least here in the states.

• Bantros says:

Think the PC version comes out on 1st June

• Iskariot says:

I like the trailer.
      The only thing I need to know is how much sp gameplay time this game has to offer. I hope it features a beefy sp campaign because I do not care at all about the mp part of it.

• Chuck84 says:

As mentioned, it comes out on consoles on the same day(week in EU) as D3, so there’s not that big of a conflict.

It’s going to be hard to wait until June 1st(EU, yay) to play it, when the console version is just a trip to the rental store away…..

11. McTerry says:

meh

12. frypiggy says:

That trailer kind of sucked to be honest. Terrible writing and dialog. I probably could not write any better, but still… come on Rockstar. I was more impressed by GTA5’s teaser trailer! There’s still a 100% chance I’ll buy this game once Diablo 3 warrants a secondary/back-up game.

• Wooly says:

Really? You think Diablo has good writing…?

• frypiggy says:

I didn’t say Diablo 3 had good writing or dialog. That wasn’t my statement. But for a company that prides itself on good writing and dialog to woo the player with, is a minor letdown to hear the words they chose to put in the release trailer. Example: Two type of people in this world: One building future, the other rebuilding past. But, they immediately contradict this statement by saying he’s stuck inbetween?

Time moves forwards… nothing changes. Really? That’s the tag line the choose to finish with?

I’m just saying this release trailer did nothing for me. The in-game footage of the physics model, visuals and the Rockstar name already sold me the game. I’m able to have an opinion, and in my opinion… the video kinda stunk.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

Terrible writing and dialogue?

There’s just no accounting for taste it seems.

13. Hendar23 says:

Cheer up Max.

14. Echo Black says:

I’m Brazilian. At 1:08 you can hear an enemy yell “Acerta esse veado!” (Quite literally “Hit that faggot!”). I sense a shitstorm incoming…

lowprices says:

I think it’s only going to cause a shitstorm if absolutely everybody in the game calls you a faggot, a la Arkham City’s Bitchgate. If it’s just a random bit of dialogue spoken by two or three random mooks before they mysteriously sprout bullet holes I doubt anyone will care.

Stellar Duck says:

Two things:

Make your own music Rockstar.

When was Max ever the sort of person who dealt in “The way I see it there’s two kinds of people…” crap? Granted, it’s been long since I played either game, but nothing he said in that trailer sounded like Max Payne.

Also, the game looked… alright, I suppose, if that’s your thing.

• LennyLeonardo says:

He pretty much only ever said stuff like that. And stuff about “staring into the grave of your love”, and “a sign of her passage” and other sick filth.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

They did make their own music, an extraordinary amount of it, there was even a preview of a new recording of the main theme they set out to fansites a month back.

Also I agree, all the dialogue revealed from previews, impressions and footage paints him quite differently (though there are obvious commonalities broadly) from the previous games, away from an overly-melodramatic, extremely cheesy action hero of the first game and a ultra-contrived brooding rendition in the second to a more sincerely lost and believable individual coping with tragedy, past, present and future, addiction and emotional entropy with a superior sense of dark humour than either previous game managed.

16. BetamaxDisco says:

“Time moves forward and nothing changes.”

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the prosecution rests its case.

17. LennyLeonardo says:

I’m so excited about this. Every time I hear that music I feel like a teenager again.

And for some reason this trailer makes me really want to watch The Last Boy Scout.

18. BobbleHat says:

Are these reports true about the PC version not being released until the first of June?

• Kiyo101 says:

Sadly it seems so, it was stated on the Rockstar official Twitter that we will be getting it on the first… They refuse to respond to any questions about why so far though it seems.

My guess is it’s so they can do these stupid console community events for the multiplayer through May.

• Chuck84 says:

Yup it’s true. That said, you’ll have D3 to distract you, if that’s your cup of tea.

Been waiting(quick google)…. Christ, 9 years for a new Max. 2 more weeks won’t make much difference.

lowprices says:

The comic has ruined my ability to take Max seriously. Every time I see or hear anything Max-related, all I can think is “Naaaarrrgh!”

20. Secundus says:

actually they released it just in time for the leaked x360 version that is currently doing the rounds on torrent sites with completely gameplay up on youtube. hooray!!