Summoned: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing

By Jim Rossignol on May 10th, 2012 at 8:00 pm.

The handsome knights of Neocore – they of the strategy-with-RPG-bits King Arthur games – have announced that they are creating an action RPG called The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing. The game will be “loosely based on Bram Stoker’s classic novel Dracula” and tells a tale in which Van Helsing find himself enlisted by former supernatural foes “to defeat a new scourge terrorizing the ravaged Eastern European city”. No details on the action side of things yet, but if Neocore’s take on the strategy genre is anything to go by, this could be an interesting proposition. It’s slated for release in Q4 2012.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. fiddlesticks says:

“Loosely based” probably means it’ll have more in common with the film Van Helsing than the character from the novel.

Not that I’m complaining, mind you. I always thought that film would make a pretty good game.

• Peco says:

Van Helsing (2004)? Let’s hope it makes a better game than movie then… If they need any movies to base things off of they could always go with Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992) or Dracula (1931). Although I doubt they will go with Anthony Hopkins’ Professor Van Helsing

• DickSocrates says:

I have read the book, and I hope they don’t make him like he is in that. I grew to hate the stupid old fool with his fake Viennese/retard accent.

• Lemming says:

You could just play Castlevania: Lord of Shadows instead.

2. smeaa mario says:

The idea surely attracted my attention.

3. Kamen Rider says:

Another ARPG? God damn’t. It’s really strange how all these ARPGs waited until Diablo III was being released to make themselves really known. There was quite a gap between II and III that would have been a much better time for release. Maybe everyone just forgot about the genre till Diablo III popped up again.

• Demiath says:

What about games like Fate, Torchlight, Titan Quest, Depths of Peril and Din’s Curse? The PC-style ARPG genre has definitely not been dead and buried in the 12 years between Diablo 2 and 3…

• Hoaxfish says:

er, wait… have we decided to define “action RPG” as “diablo-like clicky-clickies”?

’cause I’ve been shoving Fable and things like that in the “action RPG” definition too

• Demiath says:

At the very least, I’d say the “PC-style ARPG” is and should be synonymous with Diablo and its clones. The console-style action RPG (mostly a Japanese thing but including Fable and recent Western copycats) is in some ways a very different beast both control-wise and in terms of its relationship (if it has any) to roguelike ur-ARPGs such as Nethack and Angband.

• jrodman says:

No matter the label, the style was relatively scarce.

I think that’s OK, but the current pile is a bit surprising by comparison.

• mwoody says:

Action-RPG = Diablo=like
        Adventure = Point-and-click
        Action-adventure = Zelda-alike
        Adventure-RPG = Fable-alike?

• rustybroomhandle says:

And Sacred / Sacred 2.

4. Burning Man says:

That guy in the image looks super cute.

I can get behind cute slaughter of not-so-cute vampires. Unless they’re cute too, which works as well.

5. RedViv says:

Frankenstein’s creation with a steampunk-ish energy weapon? Intriguing.

6. tangoliber says:

I wish that the guy in the image would be who we play as. Would be a memorable main character.

Comment on this story