Six New Mechwarrior Online Videos (Count ‘Em!)

By Jim Rossignol on May 10th, 2012 at 6:00 pm.

LASER LASER.
These new video previews for upcoming persistent battler Mechwarrior Online – via IGN – show off the different roles for the light, medium, heavy, and assault mechs. I’ve posted them all below. Just see the light mech race about and “act as the eyes and ears of the lance” gives me cause for robo-excitement, so you can imagine my delight as seeing the assault mechs stomping their way into battles and savaging the other mechs with big, big guns. I’m ready to play this game now, thanks.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Toberoth says:

Cool, this is looking really great so far :-)

2. ch4os1337 says:

I can’t wait, hopefully they make some bigger maps as that one looked rather small. I’d imagine everybody just using a heavy mech on it.

I hope they adopt the Tribes: Ascend F2P model, we are at this point where if a F2P game *isn’t* like that then I wont even touch it.

Also MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries is 100% FREE, so don’t forget about that. If you want the best Mech game with all the toys it’s over at http://www.mektek.net/ (on the right)

• Ernesto says:

Thank you for this link! Also, the game looks really nice. I’d play it if I had a decent machine to run it on. And if I want something a little faster I just play some Hawken ;) Tons and ktons of metal this year…

• PodX140 says:

Oh comon, at least know your target audience here first… I mean really, PS3 controllers on a PC only gaming site?

Tsk Tsk :P

• Amun says:

The Tribes Ascend model? Gee, I can’t wait to grind out my gauss cannon. >_>

• FluffDaSheep says:

Yeah, to be honest, the T:A model works in T:A because default loadouts there are actually good, and which exact gun you’re using won’t affect your playstyle all that much for that class (though there are exceptions).

Mechwarrior is (or used to be) all about customization and experimentation. I’m not looking forward to all my options being locked away.

• Vorphalack says:

I think they could make it work with unlocking Mech chassis, paint jobs, decals, etc. provided they give you a robust starting line up. Locking weapons would indeed be a bad idea for a Mech game.

• cassus says:

You could just pay them (if it’s like the tribes model) say 20 quid or so… Buy some versatile weaponry and a couple of chassis and then work from there. That’s how I played tribes. I’m not sure why people are so set on not paying anything for the games, the developers spent ages on the games.. Least one could do is pay a few pounds to honor their commitment. I get that a lot of people are broke right now.. But if people don’t reward a developer who actually went out on the thinnest and brittlest of limbs to make a damn Mech game (still baffles me that any developer dared do this..) then people deserve to pay 50 bucks for CoD and Battlefield games on a yearly basis..

Give’em some money :)
        (hope I didn’t sound finger waggingly judgemental or anything, really wasn’t my intention.)

3. DarkFenix says:

Is it me or does the movement look all wrong? It looks like your mech is floating along rather than walking.

Hanban says:

Only noticed that as you pointed it out. Hopefully it’s just because it’s still in development!

Muffalopadus says:

I think it looks fine. Your player camera is floating around but the mech cockpit is bouncing around like crazy. I wouldn’t mind a little bit of sway to convey movement though.

• Benny says:

Not so sure about the floaty movement but it sure looks like he’s using a gamepad for controls. That or it’s just awfully clunky mouse movement.

• Lemming says:

I hate to defend it by lore-ising (a word? no), but they’d be horrible to pilot if the cockpit didn’t have some kind shock-absorbing or way or being directly effected by every pound of a leg movement.

Hanban says:

Oh my. I do like what I’m seeing.

5. Brosepholis says:

Just what I was missing, some poorly designed robots.

• Amun says:

Yeah really! What’s up with the hands on that mech he customized?

PoulWrist says:

This does look excellent :D

Bluerps says:

This does look rather nice, yes.

Biscuitry says:

It actually looks like Mechwarrior.

9. Lord_Mordja says:

Yeeeehsss.
    This pleases me.

10. mckertis says:

That mechlab is seriously overloaded with information. Surely you could be smart about it and remove about half into pop-ups and stuff ?

11. Quine says:

TOTALLY SWEET!

12. Quinnbeast says:

Can we expect this to be STCs ‘something for the weekend?’ :D

– Funnel

13. ilves says:

The trees they’ve confirmed will be destructable but it isn’t fully implemented yet, this is basically pre-alpha at this stage. Same thing with all the movement stuff, its still early build and they haven’t gone through and tweaked everything.

14. Heliocentric says:

Just watched the light mech video, I know motion sickness is a worry, but really riding a light mech on anything other than a flat road should be like riding a rodeo bull. Its 20 tonne of metal flapping about on spindly legs and a hugely powerful generator, it should not be that smooth.

15. Xzi says:

ZAP PEW KAPOWIE!

I do love me some MechWarrior. I’d still be playing Living Legends if the community was a bit bigger. Wonder if I should buy another joystick for this…

16. Vinraith says:

I really, really wish someone would make a good single player Mechwarrior and/or Mechwarrior tactics game, I miss those. Online games like this, unfortunately, just have no appeal.

17. nyarlathotep-88 says:

Looks sweet. However,I would wish that they would make the HUDs unique for the different mechs.

• Xzi says:

They might yet. Pre-alpha, remember.

• HothMonster says:

Pre-alpha? I thought this was suppose to come out in a few months

• Xzi says:

Just what I heard, I could be wrong. Lemme pop on over to the website…

Yeah, not entirely sure. I don’t think it has entered beta yet, though. Release date is still a vague “2012.”

• Screamer says:

Oh okay kewl, cause didn’t he at one point run right through another mech, instead of colliding with it :/…needs a bit more work I’d say.

18. jonfitt says:

I’m a little concerned with the payment model. I presume these c-bills are mapped to money and or experience points. But it seems you don’t pay to unlock an item, you pay every time you add an item to a mech. Want 3 lasers? Pay 3 times.
    That would make certain configurations a lot more expensive than others. Does that make it Pay 2 Win? Further info is required.
    I sometimes wish these free2play games had a tier of payment which was “I don’t want to keep buying stuff, just give me everything”.

• NooklearToaster says:

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen that c-bills are rewarded at the end of missions as well, and it does make sense that in order to put, say, 3 medium lasers on a mech when you don’t have any lying around in the garage, that you’d have to go and buy 3 medium lasers.

19. elhreno says:

Double nice!
    I like what i saw, bring in destroyable environment and i will be pleased. Though i hope they will enhance motion dynamics. It’s a little bit off sometimes.

20. RollingZeppelin says:

I don’t like how they don’t render the weapons. I want to see the difference between an AC/20 and an AC/5.

21. NooklearToaster says:

Am I the only person who watched the last video and though “Why on earth are you only using 1 machine gun, you have half a ton left and 6000 bullets!”

Minor gripes with his playstyle aside, I am VERY excited by what we’re shown here, and I didn’t realize the game was due out this summer already. I somehow got it in my head that all the new battletech games were slated to release in a close window at the end of the year.

22. Shlayer says:

Registered just to ask this question:

Does the model of the Mech change when you equip new weapons/strip old weapons out? It looks like there is no difference and that makes me sad. What’s the point of playing a scout if you can’t visually identify the strengths and weaknesses of the enemy? :(

23. kipue says:

I feel that if you play World of tanks now, you ll have a very good idea of what this will be :)
    I mean the garage/inventory, base capture and such. When the guy said you need your scouts to see for you, and you might be too slow to get back to base to def, I was really thinking this is Wot he is describing.
    World of tanks but with mechs, can’t wait! I mean the last good one in my opinion was Mechwarrior 2, so really that s very welcome

24. Strangerator says:

Where’s my rotary autocannon and LBX 20???

Movement speeds seem like they’ve been boosted all around to satisfy the impatient masses. Would be nice if some maps were big enough for the cat and mouse games the light mech pilots like to play…hope it’s not a case of making maps extra small to quickly force enemy encounters, though for the sake of a demo I understand.

Will there be knockdown? Always loved how you could triple link the big autocannons in MW4 and unload them at once to knock down lighter mechs. Always thought the gauss rifle should do more impact/knockdown.

At least it will be free (ish).

25. wodin says:

I thought the scale seemed off. I didn’t have the feeling those where really tall mechs at all.

I also wish it was a single player game.

Also it didn’t look like you can shoot off arms etc. I hope you can and also see armour get blasted off etc.

• Lemming says:

My problem wasn’t the scale, it was that there didn’t seem to be much danger for anyone. I only watched the medium mech video, true, but it was like he was idly shooting Mechs, then walking past them while they were still alive and moving onto the next one. Just seemed like someone skipping through a park rather than fighting a war.