Random-O-Compo: Be An NPC In Krater

By Alec Meer on May 11th, 2012 at 10:00 pm.

Rather appealing-looking post-apocalyptic action-yet-tactical RPG Krater launches next month, and while it’s in its final mile (I’ve got some beta code here I really need to take a look at) there is yet time for IMPORTANT CHANGES. Important changes such as one Rock, Paper, Shotgun reader getting an in-game character named after them (or a name of their choice, Naughty Swears aside) and also having their name in the credits to boot.

Devs FatShark have a “tough bitter police woman” NPC who’s in need of a name, so they came to us. While there was a good case for our argument she should be called Ian Apocalypse, the smarter decision seemed to be to open it up to our fine, upstanding readership. What tough, bitter policewoman? This tough, bitter police woman:

There could be anything under that mask. Anything. Your face, maybe. Or a giant evil squirrel. Or a portal to Hull. We’ll leave that – or more specifically here name = up to the winner, basically. That person will also be listed in the game credits, and receive a copy of the game. 9 runners-up will also bag a copy of Krater (including access to the current beta. )

To enter, send an electronic mail to this address with the suggested name of your character (whether your own, a variation thereupon or something else) by 5pm UK Monday 14 May. We’ll then pick a winner via magic/randomness. Usual rules apply. Also, this rule: be excellent to each other.

You can find out more about Krater here. And you can also watch a video of a recentish build of it in action right now, here, below, now, ok?

Krater devs FatShark are also running a second, concurrent compo on their own site to ‘win’ the opportunity to name an in-game weapon. You can enter that right here.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. NooklearToaster says:

Looks like somebody messed up the jump…

2. Torgen says:

I’d think Helen Hunt would be a natural. “You want mercy? Go to Helen Hunt for it!”

3. Dizzard says:

What kind of name are we looking at here?

Something that could be a real name or something whimsy and strange?

4. Fumarole says:

If this tough, bitter policewoman doesn’t end up named Althea there will be a reckoning.

gorgonaut says:

I think Dinglebert Zambeldak should be her name.
    She’s bitter because it’s a man’s name. A silly man’s name.

6. Freud says:

I think most names in the game are Swedish so you probably have a bigger chance to win if you name her Ulla or Anita.

7. Hoaxfish says:

Entered for this, because the game has my interest.

Was going to enter the weapon one as well, until I googled my first entry (before sending thankfully) and discovered it was racist in one language and slang for female genitals in another.

8. sinister agent says:

Can’t go wrong with “Gary”.

9. rustybroomhandle says:

I will submit “Helicobacter Pylori”. *nod*

10. wodin says:

Vinegar tits..anyone who has seen Prisoner cell block H will know. Though she was a prison warden, who didn’t have that figure. I also doubt it would be allowed. Naughty Word

Or a quick selection of made up names.

Helga Nutcracker.
    Rennie Gade
    Lady Vengence
    Manny Hater
    Mindy Cosh

11. Eclipse says:

She was just a rookie when it happened, those mercs where grinning at her, she could feel it, but couldn’t see it.
    She was almost drowning in a pool of her own blood. Just next, her partner was lying down with a red and squishy crater where his stomach used to be.
    One big mistake was made that day, they left her alive, thinking she will be done in few, agonizing minutes. And they left, still grinning and laughing.
    When the copter with the doctors arrived even the trained medics couldn’t help but palpitate at that vision. But they saved her, even if she just wanted to die.
    Two years forward and she’s watching the dead bodies of those very same mercenaries in front the barrel of her shotgun. But she’s not grinning at them, she’s… Faceless Anne

matte_k says:

Why do i feel that gameplay footage is kind of what Wasteland 2 will be aiming at, except maybe not as Borderlands-y? Or is that shot really wide of the mark? Still, colour me interested :)

• Craig Stern says:

If Wasteland 2 goes that route, I’ll ask for my Kickstarter money back.

Marginally related: what I just watched is emphatically *not* a tactical RPG.

• trjp says:

I don’t think I’d be upsetting them/breaking NDA by saying what you’re getting here is an action-rpg where you control 3 characters at once (initially a tank, healer and ranged/cc) – set in a post-apocalyptic world which is much less grim/’50s’ than Fallout or Borderlands.

It has a really unique sense of style – a high level of attention to detail – it’s not quite like anything else I’ve played, really.

Oh – and like their last game, it won’t work on XP so be prepared, owners of dusty PCs…

13. trjp says:

I’ve been in the alpha for this for a couple of months now and all I’ll say is that you need to choose something to suit the game because they’ve put a load of effort into it’s style/writing/tone/music etc. and most of those suggestions would stick out like including assets from Saints Row 3 would.

I like it – basically – I’m probably not allowed to say anymore than that but I really, really like it – I could listen to the background sound/music and silly one-liners all day…

14. vodka and cookies says:

Is this single player or an MMO I cant seem to tell one way or the other, it looks like an MMO I think ?

I do like the style they’ve used for the game.

15. Dr I am a Doctor says:

What do I put into the email subject field? :s

16. Totor says:

I guess since it’s not mentioned, the contest is opened to everywhere in the world, not just U.K. only ?
    Also, can we suggest several names or is there a “One name by entry” rule ?

17. Torgen says:

I just noticed how many people have flashlights for eyes in those screenshots.

18. fatshark_mwd says:

Hi Martin from Fatshark here.

The names doesn’t need to be in Swedish. There are travellers from other surviving civilizations in the Krater area.

Everyone is oif course welcome to participate in the contest!

If you have any other questions I am happy to answer them!

Cheers

19. Bobtree says:

I love that the first thing the trailer says is “PERMADEATH”.

• fatshark_mwd says:

Yeah we want to give people an alternative with permanent injuries and death so everything have a consequence. It is also important to stress that you are managing a party and have to decide which characters to use in the fights. You can spec them in various ways and equip them in many ways.

20. ScottHarrigan says:

As old as the post apocalyptic setting is getting, this games does look pretty neat. I may have to add this game to my list in the near future. This game seems like it plays in the same vein as league of legends. Borderlands emphasized the rpg elements more while Rage focused more on the shooter aspects. It is interesting to see how the strategy focused game will turn out. Here I thought I was done being excited about post apocalyptic games and now I have two to keep my eye on.

21. MrEvilGuy says:

I submitted my ex girlfriend’s name. Mwuhahahahahaha.

22. Joshua Northey says:

Looks interesting, anything with permadeath and actual consequences is intriguing.