Tick-Toque: Republique Rallies For Final Kickstarter Push

By Nathan Grayson on May 11th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

Hope, doing that whole being alive thing.
Truth be told, I never really liked Republique‘s chances on Kique, er, Kickstarter. Don’t get me wrong: it’s pretty much the only Kickstarter I’m personally pulling for, but a mere two weeks ago, it still needed to coax $400,000 out of an army of unwilling wallets. On top of that, we’re talking about an unproven concept from a freshly born franchise. And, perhaps most damningly, everyone at Camouflaj clearly can’t spell. The past couple days, then, have been nothing short of astounding. Passionate fans have piped up via every form of social networking short of the ancient Roman Forum, and Republique’s rocketed to more than $430,000 of its $500,000 goal. Now, less than a day remains. Disembodied surveillance camera protagonists will speak of this photo finish for years to come. Well, if it succeeds anyway. But honestly, why should you care? Well, there’s the whole respecting PC gamers thing, for one. And now, there’s also a trailer of Republique in action.

OK, so that canned skit at the end was downright painful, but otherwise, neat! The map view camera stands to meld one of strategy gaming’s trustiest tropes with the frankly overplayed genre that is the stealth-action-Metroidvania-and-also-you’re-a-camera sim, though I have to wonder if having an eye in the sky will suck all the tension out of high-stakes hide-and-go-seek.

Meanwhile, on the “should’ve seen it coming but still can’t believe it’s happening” side of things, David “Solid Snake” Hayter will be voicing some sort of legendary hero within the Metal-Gear-Solid-inspired game’s story. WINK WINK NOD NOD. On top of that, Jennifer “FemShep” Hale is also joining on as Hope’s mentor.

Basically, it all sounds wonderful, and it’s so close. But I’m a journalist, so I must remain impartial. I cannot – under any circumstances – plead with you to kick a few bucks into Republique’s purse, so I guess I’ll just… huh, oh, what’s that Mr Purrington? You’d like to say a few words? Well, OK then. But, goodness me, you’re not restrained by any journalistic standards! Oh my, what have I done?

Dear RPS reader, please support Republique or I will be devoured by this larger cat. Already, I’m missing tremendous portions of my spine. You could say it’s a real pain in the neck, but in truth, it’s a horrific pain in the everywhere. I was young once – and free. I never even got to see the ocean. My fate is in your hands, which I will rub against and affectionately nibble if Republique gets funded.

, .

1. Phantoon says:

KITTIES!

Wait, was there a post here? About some video game? I’m afraid I forgot it was about entirely.

2. brat-sampson says:

Fine!
    I’ll throw in my bit, seeing as the PC version does actually look interesting and also because, frankly, I respect the hell out of them for getting as close as they have. I expected this to fall way short of the (still ludicrous) total but to get this close and fail is not something I’d wish on anyone.

For the record: I bought PC only, but at the level with the bonus book, because, y’know, trinkets!

• Teovald says:

I was initially interested by this project when it was iOS only. I even asked them if an Android port was planned (I have no interest in iX thingies).
      But I really feel that the announcement of mac/pc versions is just their emergency plan to save the project and that these versions will be terribly disappointing.

• Lemming says:

You know, I don’t even have an iPad but I can certainly see why that would be their ‘lead’. It’d be a big part of the immersion that you’re helping this woman via cameras using a touch screen interface. It’d feel amazing!

I’d love to play the game, but I’d rather I own an iPad than play it on my PC.

• Teovald says:

I’d love to play that game on a tablet if it is good. It could end in a real disaster (as any project) but at least they are trying to do something else than ‘let’s stick a virtual gamepad on this mobile device screen since I am too lazy too invent a proper control scheme”.
          What makes me extremely suspicious is that at the start of the project, the faq explained that there would be no windows/mac version since the game is designed for touch screens… and all of a sudden, that message disappears and they just throw a windows/mac announcement as a last attempt to finance the project.

• Bhazor says:

Wow, I had no idea there were still people who found touch screens a novelty in a game.

• Quarex says:

There are also people who are just now learning about “All Your Base Are Belong to Us.”

Oh, and Republique looks awesome, really, but their original goal screamed “Apple fanboys gone wild” and anyone who thinks they can possibly care about making a good PC version is kidding themselves.

• Wreckdum says:

There’s only 25K left to the goal. Guaranteed they don’t let 475K get pissed away. Someone on the dev team will either take out a loan and cover the remainder or they will pool their money. If they let that expire that close they are fools.

• mouton says:

Yup, no worries there.

• malkav11 says:

Kickstarter doesn’t allow that sort of thing. It would cause the project to be cancelled and all funding returned to the backers.

3. Crimsoneer says:

Damn, it’s going to be close. I’m a bit short on cash right now though, and I still don’t really buy the whole “independent PC vision” port. Still, it does look pretty damn good. If I had an iPhone, they’d probably have my cash.
    Although dang, that’s a nice video. TEMPTING. They may just convert me. I’d love more details on differences between PC and iOS versions though. It still seems they’re focusing on iOS.

• brat-sampson says:

At this point it looks as though basically they’re pledging to make two entirely separate games around the same premise… I don’t have an iDevice in any form so am ignoring that and hoping for a solid PC title to come out of this.

• Whallaah says:

I actually have cash to burn, and they won’t take it. Apart from the futurama reference, it’s very painful as a European to only have one payment option: Credit Card by Amazon. Something I do not have!

So, they’ll have to do it without my cash, until they can support something more generic like PayPal.

• fish99 says:

It’s not that they don’t support Paypal, but Paypal doesn’t support them. Paypal won’t handle payments for something where delivery of the final product isn’t guaranteed because they fear they’ll have to reimburse people (presumably via their payment protection scheme) if the project folds. If you want paypal onboard you need to be able to give preorder customers an alpha version straight away (as Minecraft did).

4. felisc says:

Aoon, cutie cat purr purr.
    Ahem.

5. Godwhacker says:

I wish them luck, but I just can’t get behind it. The pitch reads like an appeal to pretension:

“Books like 1984 have served as key sources of inspiration not only for the narrative, but also the core gameplay.”

So Big Brother is watching people. A boot stamping on a human face, forever? No. We’re talking light stealth mechanisms here. I can’t fund yet another project that lazily references the (now at least) less chilling parts of 1984 in order to raise eyebrows. Are we at least extracting Hope from North Korea? No, we’re extracting her from “a shadowy totalitarian state”.

It looks dire.

Maybe it’ll get funded and I’ll be proved wrong.

• Terragot says:

Exactly my thoughts, they’re howling about this dark 1984 inspired story which seems like a shallow and weak pull when compared with today’s modern world. They could have referenced things like North Korea, women living in sharia law, the god damn Hollywood cartel, prostitution & slavery in Liberia, Siberian labor camps, the political state of the middle east, Pol pot & the Khmer Rogue, Hell even as far as the iron curtain and the Berlin Wall (lots of opportunity for their desired Neoclassical architectural theme there).

But 1984? Come on isn’t there enough blatant oppression in the world that needs a voice more than an outstandingly popular work of fiction?

I think the reason this is struggling isn’t because of the PC & Mac last min pledge, but because it’s story really seems pretty fucking ignorant & out-dated. A beautiful white girl in an oppressed western society; lets try not to insult every demographic shall we?

• Godwhacker says:

Don’t forget that she’s wearing a hoodie – that makes her super-non sexualised and totally relevant and in no way designed by committee.

“Developed by industry veterans behind AAA games like Metal Gear Solid, Halo, F.E.A.R., Kinect, and cutting edge videos like the Skyrim television spot and the iconic iPod “silhouette” ads, République represents a strategic alliance between Camouflaj and Logan to make an epic action game designed specifically for touch-based devices.”

I’m predicting a 6/10 at best.

• Acorino says:

Yeah, I don’t think this game is nearly as bold and courageous as the developers claim it to be. It’s all a bit been there, done that and nothing more in-depth or thought provoking than a mainstream Hollywood movie. It’s rather superficial, really.

And “strong female protagonist” my ass! She pleads for your help in this whiney voice the entire time! Another example of unintentional misogyny? Reminds a bit of Metroid: Other M. Also I find it interesting that all the other examples of this very small sub-genre I know of feature a woman as the helpless protagonist (Critical Path and eXperience112). Apparently it’s fine when a woman cries for your help, but I guess it would be weird for a man to do the same. Maybe I’m overanalyzing this, but it seems like a natural course of action to put a woman into this main role.

I sound so critical, and yet I pledged 15$. I still would love to see this kind of game, and I think it would be kind of fun, and still unique enough. Still, if the game would be as bold as they claim it to be, then I would’ve pledged more.

• Premium User Badge ffordesoon says:

I appreciate what you’re saying, and I totally agree that she isn’t exactly coming off as a complex character in the trailer. I give them points for trying, at least, but I get it.

That being said, I have to take issue with the implication that a disempowered woman is a “weak” female character. Yes, she’s weak within the context of the fiction, but she could be a strong (read: interesting, likable, and/or engaging) character. The trailer doesn’t give me a lot of hope (also, that name was not manufactured by Subtlety Inc.), but it also doesn’t give us a lot of Hope (TEE HEE I ARE CLEVER MANS). She might be much more complex and layered than the trailer would suggest.

Hopefully, she’ll end up like Trip in Enslaved. She was all set to be yet another cookie-cutter damsel/maneater stereotype, but I thought Ninja Theory did a great job of fleshing her out and using the obvious stereotypical overtones to their advantage. She was a fragile, damaged creature, but she wasn’t a bad character, because she was allowed to be a fragile and damaged character. It wasn’t taken as a matter of course. Like, “She’s a woman, therefore she’s fragile and damaged and weak.” She was a fragile, damaged, weak character who happened to be a woman. Which is, in my opinion, perfectly alright, for the same reason it’s alright for male characters to be craven cowards who run at the first sign of trouble. They’re characters, and their behavior is not looked upon as socially acceptable just because of their sex.

Does that make sense?

• Premium User Badge emertonom says:

Thanks for mentioning eXperience 112. My first reaction on reading about this game was, “Oh yeah, that’s eXperience 112. I tried that. It wasn’t good.” The idea of controlling the cameras and helping someone is kind of interesting, but I’m not convinced they’re equipped to make an actual good game based on it. If they’d talked the way Kim Swift did about playtest-driven design, I’d have chipped in, but instead they talked about hiring voice actors. Their only mention of the actual design of the game was a vague description of “map view” and “hack view.” It sounds to me like they’re focussed on all on the style, and they’re only just trying to figure out how to hang a game on it.

Basically, waiting for the Wot I Think.

• Terragot says:

Yes I didn’t want to get into the whole female protagonist thing, but your spot on; using a woman as a protagonist in this situation doesn’t represent a strong female lead, it represents using women as the go-to for helpless characters. A strong female lead would of been the dictator, who drives the narrative. A strong female lead doesn’t need just morals to be a strong characters. In fact, the strongest females are “A bundle of contradictions”. Writing women is so much harder, because of the cultural aspect. Their thinking seems to be – female as protagonist = strong brave lead character. They would have got closer to achieving empowering women by using a male protagonist.

Again, I don’t think your being over critical, just real world examples of women in oppressive positions have shown us they rarely act like Hope. Take Vice’s guide to Liberia and watch how the women bound by prostitution act. None of them beg, whimper or shudder. They’re angry, really fucking angry and viscous and ruthless. And they ain’t pretty hooded girls covered in make-up. They’re children and women, beaten and humiliated (which I assume is supposed to be Hope’s narrative drive here?) with body’s ravaged by drug dependency. I dunno, maybe I’m being more ignorant here by referencing these things but I just really really want games to have a louder voice.

Putting a woman into the role of Winston is like stepping (culturally) back in time to 1949.

• Acorino says:

Now that they met their goal I canceled my pledge. Kickstarter should be there for unique and bold visions, not something watered down like this to get some potential investment in the first place.

Edit: I just checked, I actually pledged 31$ before canceling! I must have been mad…

• Godwhacker says:

Goal has been met, and it’s most likely due to this post.

Can I request that Nathan Grayson doesn’t review it when it comes out?

• Premium User Badge Fede says:

Yeah, the pitch was trying to make it sound innovative, but it really is rather derivative. Strong female character? Oh, come on…

I’m a bit worried about the PC version, they probably hope to make enough money out of the iThing launch to fund it, but it might fail. What would they do then?

Finally, the pitch screamed to me: Bio Hazard called, it wants its unwieldy camera back.

• Bhazor says:

Did you not see that guys scarf? I think the hipster level is maxed.

But yeah I can’t get behind this project. Really nice idea, one that has been used before, but I have next to no faith in the makers to actually do a decent job of it. The fact they’re spending so much on mocap and voice actors when they haven’t even been funded is a real sign their priorities are completely screwed.

6. sneetch says:

Although I don’t fully buy the whole PC version won’t be a port and will be unique and awesome with lasers I’ll give it a shot. It’s a gamble of course but all these Kickstarters are a gamble and also I can fool myself into thinking I’m a patron of the arts and wear a monocle and top hat now.

7. Seniath says:

Given the “Metal-Gear-Solid-inspired story”, ‘Jennifer “Naomi Hunter” Hale’ might have been more apropos (also, totally backed. Because I love me some MGS-inspired silliness and David Hayter being gruff)

8. The Sombrero Kid says:

I’d like to be more constructive but this game doesn’t deserve to get made, it’s a homage to the worst, most embarrassing designer in the industry.

9. jrodman says:

Sorry, Nathan, but the game looks like one I’d hate utterly. I don’t really like the tone (seems kind of generic political of now), the gimmick of the lady pleading, and I’ve never liked stealth mechanics.

Good luck to them, and to anyone who finds this to be their cup of tea.

• Vorphalack says:

Clearly you need to play more Thief Gold, but I agree that this game isn’t worth throwing money at. It’s going to be short (4-6 hours developer estimate), it looks like it will be a nightmare to control thanks to being a last minute cross platform port from the iOS, and the entire premise of the game feels insipid, possibly even a little misogynistic. I’d question with a game that size what the fucking fuck they are doing with the $1,000,000 they say they will need.

Community funding out of genuine interest is an amazing thing, but funding out of sympathy / completionism is not.

• jrodman says:

Hm, I played some version of Thief that came as a freebie with a videocard I bought.

I thought “I can’t tell what’s going on, where I’m supposed to be going, or what is even in these rooms. The guards activate via rules I don’t understand. How annoying.” That’s when I deleted it.

10. Azhrarn says:

they’re just $48k short at the moment, with 12 hours to go, it may still get funded, but it’s going to be damn close. :)

11. frightlever says:

Wasn’t it just five minutes ago RPS was saying they were being very cautious about what games from Kickstarter they were going to feature, and they wanted to be careful not to be seen to be encouraging people to automatically invest in games they did feature.

And then this.

I like NG’s writing style but this is a naughty puppy moment.

IMO.

EDIT: waitaminute! I thought this was ALREADY an iOS game that was being converted to PC. It isn’t even out on iOS yet? Seems reckless to promote a game in that way. But again, in my opinion.

• apocraphyn says:

That’s precisely what I was thinking. Bad Nathan. Bad.

It does seem very reckless, with PC as an afterthought (and to bring in the majority of funding, no less).

• The Sombrero Kid says:

To my understanding, It wasn’t RPS as a whole it was Alec specifically who had a personal moral quandry about it which i’d bet he still hasn’t resolved since it is quite a difficult issue, all journalism is on the PR spectrum, but is promoting a game that you’ve not even seen & may not even exist too far removed from journalism, I’d argue if you’re excited about a potential game you have the right to talk about it as a journalist, there’s plently of triple A games that take preorders and then get canceled and this isn’t very different from that.

• Tom OBedlam says:

While it may be Alec’s quandary, it is a very important point about the role of the journalist in this scenario. If I saw this on twitter or the like I’d be happier, this breaks critical removal and is, I think, a little irresponsible.

I suppose the question is: would I feel as odd about this if the article were a news post announcing that a promising kickstarter might just scrape funding? That’s a question about which news is worthy and it all gets a bit metaphysical.

• Tom OBedlam says:

I was about to write the same thing. It’s a nice post, but this is definitely private blog territory. Personally, I’m a bit uncomfortable being urged, however sweetly, to participate in a kickstarter attempt by a website that I read for news, opinion and reviews.

• Mattressi says:

I don’t see the issue. Clearly it’s a game that appeals to many people and it seems relatively interesting (though, not really my thing). There haven’t been 100s of Kickstarter posts recently (I’ve seen more Minecraft posts in the same amount of time and there was nothing wrong with that). The only issue I could see is that possibly some people are weak-minded and must fund whatever RPS mentions. If that’s the case and they die from starvation because they have no money left to buy food because they’ve spent it all on things that people have mentioned…well, that’s natural selection, really.

• Caiman says:

I’m honestly so sick of seeing this shit come up every time RPS features anything that’s using Kickstarter. You’re grown men right, you can exercise self control and your own personal judgment about whether a project is of interest to you. RPS is no more endorsing you to spend money on a Kickstarter project than it is endorsing you to spend money on a preview of an upcoming game. It’s your choice. There are many of us who want to be informed of these campaigns because we’re interested in them and we, like you, can make our own choice on whether to follow their progress or even support them financially, but please stop trying to make decisions for us because it somehow offends your sensibilities or because you think Kickstarter is over-exposed.

• Tom OBedlam says:

Anger is a weak response to a debate.

The point isn’t hand-wringing and think-of-those-people-with-no-self-control. We’re expressing a concern over journalistic distance and responsibility in a public role. Exactly the same concern that Alec, an RPS director, expressed not very long ago. Discussion of the difficulties of impartial journalism and it’s desirability in this environment is fascinating.
        Kickstarter has introduced a complexity in that the website is specifically designed to provide exposure for new projects in order for people to fund the stuff that they like. In a project like this, with an unproven team, this sort of ringing endorsement is just hype, which, again entirely personally, is the sort of thing that I dislike. I find this sort of press very similar to clapping at E3. It’s weird and unique to the games press. You can’t imagine Empire, for example, running an article trying to persuade people to fund an indie film.
        Something that bothers me with this particular Kickstarter publicity piece is that, as mentioned below, is that even once funded, there’s more funding needed. At what point does this become newsworthy? I would really love a sequel to Arcanum and I could probably recruit a team to make it, if I had enough money. How far through the funding process should my game be before it deserves coverage?

• Tom OBedlam says:

But for all that, I’m happy for Camoflaj that they’ve got their funding and I hope they make the best of it.

• Ragnar says:

I guess the way I see it, this is basically the same as a Preview and a pre-order. We all know those can turn out differently, right? How many people pre-ordered DA2 based on DA:O and ended up disappointed? Until you actually sit down and play a game, all you can say is that it looks promising, and you’re excited about it, and you hope it turns out great. We wouldn’t ask RPS to be cautious with what games they Preview, would we? Granted, Previews don’t usually ask us to pre-order, and Kickstarter projects are probably more likely to turn out disappointing.

I like to hope that we’re adult enough to not blindly follow, and have seen enough games with awesome Previews that falter in the end to be cautious in general. Where with a pre-order, you hope it turns out well, with Kickstarter you hope it turns out well while helping fund development at the same time (and thus slightly increase the chances), which certainly makes it easier to be excited about.

• Premium User Badge Trinnet says:

This is a kickstarter which throws up a heck of a lot of red flags:

* It’s primarily an iphone/ipad game – their pitch is all about “bringing AAA experiences to mobiles” – the PC version is a footnote.

* They didn’t want to make a PC version, and up until the kickstarter stalled they publicly said it would be a bad idea to do so.

* They haven’t yet decided what the PC features will be, and won’t do so until after the kickstarter has ended.

On the other hand, if one of the RPS writers feels passionately about this (and Nathan clearly does, or he wouldn’t have written three seperate posts encouraging people to support the project) then they should be able to say so – RPS is at its best when the writers are talking about the things they care about.

• fish99 says:

” * The $500k they’ve asked for won’t be enough to develop the game unless they get another $500k from investors. ”

Wow. The obvious question is – if they don’t get the other 500K, what happens to the kickstarter money? They all have a nice long holiday? If this is true (and I CBA to actually read their page to find out), no one should be promoting them.

• MondSemmel says:

I mostly agree. I think it’s generally a bad idea to promote kickstarter projects that may or may not get funded, especially so close to the deadline. Leave that to the kickstarter project people themselves. Reporting about it once it gets funded (or fails to get funded) is fine, though. Similarly if the pedigree of the developer is impeccable (e.g. Double Fine).
      But there’s no guarantee that this project will become a coherent whole.
      EDIT: I guess the most concise criticism I have is this: If someone pledges to this kickstarter project due to publicity from RPS, their trusted source, then RPS (specifically Nathan, in this case) will lose a lot of goodwill and trust with them and others. (On the other hand, if it turns out to be amazing, you will get credit for your good judgement, too…)

• Ragnar says:

Eh, there’s chances with everything. Take Double Fine. Sure, Psychonauts was great, and Brutal Legend was pretty good, but Costume Quest had such boring and repetitive gameplay (paired with great writing) that it was a chore just to finish the demo. If offerings from such an “impeccable” developer can range from great to disappointing, it just goes to show that we’re taking a gamble whenever we buy anything before release.

• Bhazor says:

It is worth pointing out that all three posts about Republique on RPS were made by Grayson.
      So I’d say this is Grayson pimping an iPhone game not RPS as a whole pimping an iPhone game.

If so then yeah, RPS probably isn’t the place for it and telling readers to donate to it is a bit of a dick move.

12. Wendelius says:

I think the game looks really interesting as a tablet type game. The touch controls should be innovative. Unfortunately, it’s iOS only, so no joy for us Android owners.

As for the PC version, for the same amount they initially asked (it’s not even a stretch goal), they are now going to produce a PC version as well with additional features and without cutting corners? Hmmm…

For those 2 reasons, I won’t be kickstarting this one. Pity as I think it has potential. I wish them all the best and I hope it ends up on Android some day.

• The Sombrero Kid says:

To play devils advocate, they would’ve developed a PC version to test anyway, I’d be very surprised if there was a single game on any machine that didn’t have a PC version first, for testing. polishing that build up to a standard that would be acceptable is a different matter however.

• Wendelius says:

“To play devils advocate, they would’ve developed a PC version to test anyway”

The Kickstarter page says: “We as a team are still committed to iOS, but now, thanks to the community’s feedback, we are committed to delivering a unique version of République specifically designed for PC and Mac with new features, gameplay and story elements that speak to the strengths of the platform.”

Their promise goes beyond polishing a supposed PC prototype. They promise “new features, gameplay and story elements that speak to the strengths of the platform” and touch upon those in the video update.

This, for me, is a case of promising too much. That’s why I won’t chip in money on that game at this stage. If they deliver, then I might buy it. But not at this point in time.

• Surlywombat says:

Except you can’t develop for iOS on windows. So a Mac version perhaps but a windows version? Something else entirely.

13. Premium User Badge Craymen Edge says:

I still think this is a bad pitch.

Even if they reach the target (which never I thought would happen), they are still half a million dollars short of the amount they need to make the game, and they don’t have an investor waiting in the wings. They’re hoping hitting this target will convince a publisher or VC to come on board.

• kyrieee says:

I think they have one lined up if they hit 500,000$
      Personally I’m not going to contribute though.

14. GoodKnight says:

I registered just so I can post on this article.. been using this site for a long time.
    It seems to me that this company is using the PC community.

Why? They saw that there IOS crap version is not getting any funding so they said ok then will also make a PC version just so we will get funded.

But there main vision is going to be the IOS Which in my opinion means that the PC community is going to be the one paying for the game while the Ipad users are going to be getting the focus.

Thoughts?

• Shortwave says:

My thoughts are you are exactly right.
      I raged when I seen this on the front page today a bit, ha. Again.
      And glad you signed up to voice your opinion. : P
      Peace.

15. Bahoxu says:

Hmmm. It does look interesting…

16. Breadline says:

These developers’ “dream game” is a touchscreen version of a basic 2D stealth game in which you don’t even have direct control over the “strong female character” who can barely function without your help against a sinister and mysterious totalitarian regime?

SERIOUSLY?

17. Maldomel says:

Nathan you rascal! You think threatening us with kitten pics is going to work!? You really think we will fall for some delicious..adorable…tiny..young kitty cat…I..erh…where was that kickstarter page again?

18. Lord of the Fungi says:

I must say that while I really like RPS, posts by Nathan really make me loose my faith in this site. I know that it is impossible to be impartial, so I expect that subjective opinions, hopefully backed by reasoning. Nathan posts are more often than not simply biased (the MMO ones), and sometimes more like blog material (this one).

• jrodman says:

Suggestion: It would probably be better to say what you didn’t like about a given post specifically, in an informative tone. That will help keep us classy and might lead to improvement from your view.

Granted, I get complainy about the games sometimes (we all have faults) but the writer is here directly, so you can be productively interactive.

• ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

Well, based on degrees of smooth-running, entertaining wordplay I personally think Nathan’s virtual pen is the best one here. And – to me – the ‘bias’ you mention seems w-a-a-a-y less than some other RPS posts/posters I’ve come across. I guess it’s PC horses for courses.

What I can tell you is that my moth-consumed wallet was opening and my credit card was about to be laid bare to Kickstarter hackage…and then I happen-stanced across the last minute of that video…

Please kids – don’t ever try to do that at home!

• USER47 says:

Well, technically this IS a blog. And I like this personal, slightly “biased” style of writing, I think it is better than generic IGN crap.

• caddyB says:

While I don’t agree with some of the articles, they’re still fun to read. Keep in mind RPS isn’t here to tell us what to do, you can still enjoy an article and disagree with it, or even discuss why the article is wrong in a civil tone.

19. medwards says:

Seriously, they go with a wonky but vaguely foreign spelling of Republic and can’t be bothered to pronounce it the way they spelled it.

GUYS THEY ARE SO AVANT GARDE.

• Wendelius says:

Vaguely foreign? République is the French version (with the proper accent) of Republic. Nothing vaguely about it. :)

• Surlywombat says:

Camouflaj.. just no.

• Wendelius says:

Maybe the “aj” adds a soupçon of Eastern European mystery? A hint of danger you can’t resist? :)

20. Freud says:

I’ll just get my credit ca….. ooooh. A kitten! I’ll just google for pictures of cats instead.

21. DK says:

Ah yes, the “Helpless Damsel in Distress”. I remember that famous “strong female character” type.

• The First Door says:

Yeah, I have to say this is exactly what I thought when I watched the trailer. They make a big deal about her being a strong female character, but then the entire trailer rather goes against that. It hardly makes her out to be a Jade or an Alyx…

Of course, I’d hope in the full game she is a more rounded character!

22. krisanto says:

They’re still $26,236 short at this moment. I wonder what’s preventing project creators to ask a close friend to donate that amount in kickstarter, and pay them back after the project gets funded. They’ll still have $447,528 afterwards and backers wouldn’t notice anything amiss.

• rokahef says:

Good luck explaining to the tax authorities why you transfered 26k to an unknown company, only to have it returned several days/weeks later. That kind of activity flags all kinds of money-laundering investigations.

• brat-sampson says:

They were about $50k short when this story was posted, with 12 hours to spare, so in 25% of that time they’ve made almost 60% what they needed to.

I think it’ll actually happen.

23. brkl says:

This is what they call a strong female character? “Oh waa, help me, help me, pleaaaseee” She might as well be tied down in the path of an oncoming train.

24. fuggles says:

So it’s about a woman trapped in a clothes shop and trying to escape? Huh.

25. KingofCosmos says:

I went ahead and backed it for $20. If it doesn’t make it, that’s a shame. Especially with David Hayter and Jennifer Hale on board. That’s a pretty good pedigree for voice acting in their story.

26. Bhazor says:

Fuck, Twilight Sparkle is a stronger female protagonist than her.

I wouldn’t mind if they weren’t treating “Strong Female Lead” as a selling point.

27. stahlwerk says:

Somehow this kickstarter-mania makes me feel uneasy.

It seems like it builds on trust, when in reality it’s based on smoke and mirrors and to a large part the financial inexperience of people in general and fans in particular. Publishers over the last three decades learned not to invest in some genres, game pitches and developers because of risk factors and past experiences. I fear that a pitch-experienced developer can more easily sway public opinion, when a seasoned publisher representative would know a polished turd if he was presented one.

Of course, I don’t want to imply that nothing good will come from all this. Personally, I very much look forward to double fine’s and ex-sierra’s output. It’s just that fools and their moneys are easily parted and some systems are put and held in effect for a reason. On a related note, I nearly backed this but I’m away from credit card at the moment.

• GoodKnight says:

if you were right then we would not have games like Sniper Elite V2. Or ghost recon: FS

• Chiller says:

Publishers don’t invest in (what are now) niche genres because they can spend the same amount of money with greater success on something that has mass-market appeal.

Kickstarter can be used effectively to target a specific audience.

That being said, the current craze means that, almost assuredly, some of the projects will crash and burn spectacularly, and it will probably happen to some of the more famous ones, too.

28. brat-sampson says:

Aaaand it’s done.

Mission Accomplished.

29. sdgdffgh says:

hello everyone
    if you like to order anything you like.
    More details,
    please just browse our website Quality is our Dignity;
    Service is our Lift.
    enjoy yourself.
    thank you!!

30. Marijn says:

Man, that was a rollercoaster! When I backed the project a few weeks ago it wasn’t looking good. When I checked back in just a couple of days ago things hadn’t really improved. And now, in the last 48 hours, there’s this spectacular comeback! It’s like a sports movie; it’s the feel-good game story of the year. Congratulations Camouflaj!

31. neonordnance says:

FemShep or no, Jennifer Hale will always be Bastila Shan to me. Her performance in KOTOR was one of the first times I ever truly felt like I had a personal relationship with a character in a game. When she went bad, I had some serious soul-searching to do.

32. Ahtaps says:

It sounds a bit like a B-Grade movie. “At the end of the movie, you find out, he was a camera all along!” *Insert suitable amount of gaspiage here*

Perhaps McPurrington is not being devoured but actually reconstituted. Kind of like a bizarre and slightly disgusting form of feline mitosis.

33. Shadowcat says:

So they exceeded their target by 10% in the end. Good luck to them. The whole game seemed designed around the touch screen interface, and they had nothing at all to show for how a PC version was going to work (other than some hand-waving that didn’t encourage me to put down any money), but assuming it doesn’t go belly-up, I’ll be interested to read reviews of the end result.