Tropico 4 Is Free On Steam This Weekend

By Jim Rossignol on May 11th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

Just for the weekend, of course. Mr Zacny – who has a review coming up right after this article! – rather liked the fourth iteration of the colourful dictate ‘em up. You’ll be able to download and play the game on Steam tonight last night from 8pm GMT, and play it through the weekend. Should a purchase be aroused in your wallet, then there’s a 66% discount, too. So that’s pleasant. (And sort of appropriately timed.)

, , .

1. purdz says:

Hmm strange, It was free to play from around 5pm GMT yesterday as I’ve been playing it.

Fairly good so far.

• LionsPhil says:

Aye, it seems to be sitting in my games list right now.

Aww, no multiplayer. Shame: free weekends are great for convincing folks to all bundle into a server together and try a thing.

2. Vinraith says:

Aside from some horrible cartoon people I’m having a very hard time finding anything that’s significantly different from 3. The art assets are even identical.

• Baka says:

After playing through my bargain purchase of Tropico 3 in a short timeframe while never getting tired of it, I somehow couldn’t manage to get into the fourth game.
      Maybe it was the slight change of tone in the coloring, the added shaders or questionable comic portraits, switching the feel of the game a bit. Maybe the inferior choice of radio music had a share in it too, or maybe I was just burned out, but somehow I could not get into this game at all even though it’s exactly like its predecessor even on a second glance.

• Edradour says:

Soundtrack, nothing else…i still enjoyed it but thats just me i could play a billion of iterations just with new llama flu nonsense and slightly different music and still enjoy it, but the music was inferior to all the prior games ( yes even the pirate thingy but tell you what? i enjoyed that too :D )

• crazydane says:

Opposite here, I really didn’t get on with 3, and I’ve enjoyed 4 much more. Not really sure what I didn’t like about 3, strange.

I also played 1 and 2 which were both excellent games.

• Archonsod says:

The economy is completely overhauled. Which is kinda significant in a game which is focused on the economy.

• Vinraith says:

Overhauled appears to translate to “made dramatically easier” in this case, and that’s before the expansion just gives you a big red “win” button you can build.

• Stromko says:

They at least changed the voices, for the worse I would say. No flavor to it. Maybe they thought the old voices were offensive or something, but the new ones just make it seem like even El Presidente isn’t enjoying himself.

I found the addition of ministers to just be an annoying extra gate for unlocking what amount to mostly the same old edicts. A lot of the changes, such as research, seem that way. This is the same content we’ve been blowing through in Tropico 3, but now it requires extra steps every time you start a new island.

3. field_studies says:

Pleased by the sale, but even more so by the promise of writing from Rob Zacny. Would love to see more of his stuff around these parts.

4. Torgen says:

I bought this on a Gamesgate sale last month, as reward for finishing a freelance project. As said project has been completed, it’s time to fire this up.

“No rest for El Presidente!”

5. Deathmaster says:

test

6. Barman1942 says:

I would., but the Company of Heroes pack already aroused my wallet. Oh baby.

7. mwoody says:

I really miss the disconnected nature of Tropico 3′s campaign. The UI upgrades in 4 are nice, but the completely linear is a shame.

Hrm, Modern Times claims to add a new campaign… maybe it’s worth a look.

8. Bobtree says:

Tropico needs the old Phil Steinmeyer magic back. Nothing since the original has really quite scratched the same itch for me. Lately the balance and charm are MIA.

9. Was Neurotic says:

Oh well, back to Anno. Which one today? Hmm, how about 1701, my favourite. Yumm! (I’m not being cheeky, Tropico 3 is on my Wishlist and only awaiting fundage).

10. Yonder Oyster says:

Yeah this is just the 3rd game again. Art and animation polished here and there, a few new buildings, but nothing changed significantly. They’re not getting any of my money for this feckless effort.

11. Torgen says:

Just went through the tutorials, and while I like the more detailed economy, the caricatures for the advisors and faction leaders are WAY out of place ( an 1890s American Tycoon in tux and top hat as the economics minister of a backwater Caribbean island?), and overall detract from my enjoyment of the game.

12. Torgen says:

I’ve found myself playing the latest beta of Towns instead of this, because every time I see those totally out of place caricatures, my brow furrows into a frown. I even went on the Tropico forums to see if someone had modded them out. Funny how that kills the game for me, but it ruins any immersion I get going, and makes me think I’m on Facebook.