Stretching The Definition: This Is The Only Level 3

By Nathan Grayson on May 12th, 2012 at 11:00 am.

Whoa! A lever!
Long ago – probably before my people had even colonized this strange, star-spangled landmass I call home – Kieron posted about a clever little puzzle platformer called This Is The Only Level. Achievement Unlocked creator John Cooney, however, has since gone on to become a dirty rotten liar, because there are now two more “only” levels. So, here’s how it works: you’re a tiny blue elephant. You have to traverse a spike-and-platform-laden room to reach a Mario-style pipe. But then the level starts again – only with some zany permutation that completely alters the rules of the world or even the whole game. This Is The Only Level 3 also boasts a slightly more versatile Flash-based look over its predecessors and the ability to excrete pastries for some reason. Even so, solutions are brilliantly meta, frequently laugh-out-loud funny, and may well be this series’ (or is it a single, incredibly long game?) best yet. Also, if the tiny, pipe-blocking door that is life prevented you previously, here’s This Is The Only Level Too as well. Thanks, Free Indie Games.

, .

1. mr.ioes says:

“Merely Elephantine Run”… well sorry, I’m a cow, not an elephant.

2. Scythe says:

Brilliance! I got stuck on L27 for a while, but the rest were awesome.

• kalirion says:

I’m stuck on level 27 as well! What is the solution??? The walkthrough requires a facebook account….

3. marcusfell says:

These games are great. Everyone should play all of them at least once. The only one that got me stuck was the part where you have to refresh the page to progress.

Lambchops says:

I’ve always rather enjoyed the elephant based games for a quick blast of charming fun.

5. PoLLeNSKi says:

That was a mammoth challenge

6. Fincher says:

I tried to click away when I saw this article because I thought I’d highlighted the image. What is this tomfoolery, RPS.

7. Initialised says:

Elephink I’ll give that a miss

8. Jupiah says:

A warning, stage 16 seems to be unwinnable if you are using google chrome. At least that is my best guess for why I can’t win, 4 different walkthrough all told me to simply open a new tab or window in my browser but it doesn’t work for me.

9. Noumenon says:

I’m obviously not up for this kind of non-handholding, lateral thinking game. I got stuck on level 4 because I couldn’t figure out to click the button to shoot (there’s no crosshairs! they said the controls were keyboards!) also I thought shooting those pastries with Space bar was shooting. So anyway, I thought it was stupid and annoying.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

I’ve decided I don’t like games that hide the rules, and worse, make up random rules as they go. I’ve seen a few like this, and it’s never interesting.

Lateral thinking is grand, but there’s plenty of room for it within defined rules (see: good non-electronic games).

wengart says:

If you read the instructions it tells you that you may need to click witht he mouse

jrodman says:

Well, this is indeed a game all about making up random rules. If you don’t like that sort of thing, steer clear.

(I’m kind of on the fence about these myself.. I enjoyed “This is the only level” but I couldn’t be bothered with the second visit.)

10. ScottHarrigan says:

This game reminds me greatly of a flash game called Elephant quest, which was tons of fun. Smaller developers keep bringing surprises to the table more and more. The retro look of the game is exceptionally awesome. The game is free and already looks more fun than some high budget games coming out.

This is a great alternative to paying sixty dollars for a game in a franchise that is essentially a limping horse.