Eve Inferno Sets Galaxy On Fire On May 22nd

By Jim Rossignol on May 14th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

As mentioned in our sprawling Eve Online interviews, the next expansion, Inferno, is all about what makes Eve tick: warfare. It overhauls the war declaration system, factional warfare, killmails, missiles, and creates a “mercenary marketplace”. There’s plenty more though, with some graphical and UI tweaks, work on the character creator, overhauled incursions, and a bunch of new toys. This is the seventeenth Eve expansion, and it really is a big one. Hnngh. So tempting. Trailer should be up soon, too.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Alexander Norris says:

That screenshot doesn’t include a Rifter, Jim! And that’s bad.

2. jkz says:

The changes to the war dec system look good. The carebears should be able to get help easier now, hopefully it will increase the amount of more fair (for eve) pvp in high sec. The removal of neutral repping is also a good move.

Shame I don’t have time to play any more, they have been going in the right direction lately, but mmo = time sink.

• diamondmx says:

The changes to the wardec system are a small fix to a huge problem. They’re not nearly wide reaching enough to made a dent in the real problems.
      But it is a start at least.

3. President Weasel says:

EVE with less broken war mechanics. Do want.
    Must… resist….

4. Meat Circus says:

IT LOOKS LIKE A BIG GUN LOL

5. Meat Circus says:

I mean, but good Christ those are some fugly ships. Some of them are triple-baggers.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

Way to go dash my self-esteem. If those are not good, the I am hopeless.

• Kollega says:

I agree with this man. The shame from piloting half of these would burn so much that i’d turn into a neat pile of ash if i were ever to pilot them.

• Apolloin says:

Those are Caldari ships. It is rumoured that Caldari ships are not only designed by committee but that each ship is split into half and then each half is designed by a DIFFERENT committee and the two committees are not allowed to see each others work.

Then the two halves are welded together and the ship is launched.

• Jae Armstrong says:

Yes, Caldari are not the “pretty ships” race. To build on this, all of the races have an individual aesthetic philosophy:

Caldari: dull gray utilitarian boxes
        Amarr: golden stately ostentation, many beaks
        Gallente: smooth sleek colourful front-heavy blobs (…usually with one stray feature that ruins the whole thing)
        Minmatar: scrap metal and duct tape
        Jove: strange, alien, organic (lot of overlap here with Gallente)
        Sansha: spikey, twisted, evil, dark, curvy

You’d be surprised how many people like the ISO Standard Human Spaceship look. I think they must be mil fic readers. :/

• Jae Armstrong says:

That pic also picks probably the worst possible angle to show them off from. Just, y’know, in fairness.

• Azhrarn says:

To be fair, that is a section of the EVE Ship chart, it was made to show the relative sizes of all of EVE’s ships to each other. Which is why all of them are shown in profile.

The more up-to-date version even includes the lengths of the ships in meters.

• aethereal says:

Sansha are by far my favorite. Nightmare, mmmmmm…….
          Though it may also have to do with my love of shields and pew pew lasers….

• f1x says:

Whats the problem with the designs?
      Sometimes you just want to pilot something that looks like a huge piece of debris or a leftover of an orbital space station designed by a drunk baboon and just relax around

• Alexander Norris says:

Here is a thing silly people often forget about space: there’s no aerodynamics in space.

It’s a thing EVE’s designers haven’t forgotten, so their spaceships look all kinds of cool and odd and unique rather than being boring, generic rocket-ships.

• Jae Armstrong says:

Pity they never took things into account that would be important in space. Like, say, distributing your thrust evenly around the centre of mass, or having a shape that isn’t going to fold up like an accordion the first time it tries to make a sharp turn. :P

6. wodin says:

OT: Where was my SUNDAY PAPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SUNDAY PAPER…………….!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. wodin says:

The Badger series looks like abit of plumbing.

8. Retorrent says:

Oh Eve how I use to love playing you! My character was a miner, that was all I would do I would, I would scout for rocks and then come back mine everything I could find of worth for my corp. I just fond it relaxing just to mine, most people hated it, but to me it was fun. Then my fellow corp mates got lazy, no one wanted to run escorts/ guard duty for me so most times I would risk it and go on my own. Well needless to say an undefended ore miner is a big juciy target and I got poded . After that I just couldn’t play anymore my heart wasn’t in it.

Maybe someday I will pick the ol mining laser and find a corp worth joining who will help out the guy who dose the work the most consider boring.

• jellydonut says:

You’re in luck seeing as they’re trying to make mining the primary source of minerals again!

Minerals are already more costly as well.

• PsyComa says:

RPS Holdings is recruiting!

Find us in RPS Community chat channel in-game, but don’t bring the mining laser!

9. jellydonut says:

Should’ve used a screenshot of the new launchers and effects instead of a player-made pixel art chart to illustrate this post. :p

10. Dhatz says:

you missed the perfect opportun ity on the pictere alt. WAT. THE. SHIP.

11. Kazz says:

Don’t forget that Rock Paper Shotgun Holdings are always looking for new corp members!

Comment on this story