The Dream Machine Wakes Up On Steam

By John Walker on May 14th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

I wish my dreams looked like this. They're mostly about mundane tasks. I hate sleep.

Just a quickie – the first three chapters of the extremely good cardboard-and-clay The Dream Machine are now up on Steam. You can still buy them directly from developers Cockroach if you’d prefer, and those who already did will receive a complementary Steam key. Steam has the first two chapters (bearing in mind that the first chapter is available for free) for £3.19, and the third chapter for the same, this week, with all five (the final two are as yet unreleased, but will hopefully appear later this year) for £9.59 or your provincial equivalent. There’s a trailer to commemorate this below.

To find out why we care, check out my reviews of the game so far. Chapters 1 and 2 here, and Chapter 3 here.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Hodge says:

So this means it’s now available as a dowloadable standalone thing? Is that new or have I been living under all of the rocks?

Good news for the devs either way, I can see this hoovering up some significant cash.

2. Farkeman says:

look really interesting , SOLD !

Lambchops says:

Well worth a purchase these. The art is excellent and the atmosphere rather creepy and foreboding.

As for downsides the chapters are over way too quickly and there’s some puzzles in there that shouldn’t hold muster in modern day adventure gaming (oh I have to use an item hiding away in a completely inexplicable place, do I? While something else in my inventory would do the same job is not a possibility?), Granted I’ve only played the first couple of chapters but to be honest I’d rather they ditched the puzzles than created irritants in an otherwise excellent experience.

Anyway I realise I have dedicated more space to relatively minor gripes rather than resons why this is excellent; so for the excellent atmoshere, superb art compelling story and excellent juxtaposition of normal characters with weird creepiness you should give this a try. Then probably buy it.

4. The First Door says:

Well this is exciting! I don’t think I ever played Chapter 3 as it was quite delayed from what I remember, so that’ll give me something nice to do this week.

Any news about when the Steam keys for existing people will be on offer?

5. Auspex says:

Didn’t the devs (previously) specifically say that people who had bought directly would not get a steam key?

Edit: I can’t find any record of them saying that; I may well have just imagined it.

6. Cryo says:

Am I the only one who just couldn’t figure out that you have to click on item in your inventory, then hold mouse button and drag it onto the screen to use it on something? I’ve never seen adventure games do that and this game doesn’t bother with tooltips or tutorial or anything.

7. Javier-de-Ass says:

don’t care about or want the steam crap, but it would be nice if they could actually give a proper download version.

• MadTinkerer says:

Nice to know that people are capable of reading more than one sentence of an article.

• Javier-de-Ass says:

what are you talking about? the story is about dream machine. I bought the game on their site and it would be nice if they could offer a way to download it without having to play it through their site only.

DrScuttles says:

Saw this on Steam’s “new releases” list yesterday. Played a bit of chapter 1 on their website (Steam demo doesn’t seem to be working), glanced over a couple of forum threads, skimmed John’s Wot I Think, reminisced about The Neverhood and bought all 5 chapters (also bought Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines which is a ludicrous 80% off right now).
    While I’ve only finished the first chapter, I’m loving the physical design of the game. Slightly worried that I’ll plough through it too quickly, but it does seem very interesting.

9. Dr I am a Doctor says:

Is it like Machinarium, in that it looks like a piece of art but is actually a pretty terrible game?

• Javier-de-Ass says:

it is like machinarium in that it is an adventure game. yes.

• Phasma Felis says:

I know what all those words mean, but they don’t make sense when you put them together like that.

10. secretdoorinvisiblewall says:

“those who already did will receive a complementary Steam key”

Anyone know more about this? I don’t see anything in my email or any way to get a steam key on the dev’s website.

• Nyst says:

Yeah I checked my mail as well after reading the article and found nothing.

• Anders Gustafsson says:

Hey!

Send me a mail with proof of purchase and I’ll give you one. Address is on the site mentioned in John’s article.

Cheers,

– a

11. Navagon says:

This is definitely more tempting than the previous always online requirements that were an instant interest-killer (assuming of course that this version just uses Steam). But a GOG release would seal the deal.

G-Lord says:

A GoG version would be most welcome. I actually didn’t mind the “always-on” protection before as I was able to use the episodes (including the saves) on my office PC ;)