The New CD Projekt RPGs? Let’s Wildly Speculate!

By Jim Rossignol on May 14th, 2012 at 6:00 pm.

Artist's impression.
Ah, good old internet. Always vigilant to other people’s business. This time it has spotted that CD Projekt – those Polish clever-clogs who made The Witcher and its sequel – are now hiring for two RPG projects. One is “RPG In A Dark Fantasy World”, which will clearly be the next part of The Witcher, but other is – shock! – “RPG In A Brand New Setting”. There’s even a little gun symbol next to the name to get us speculating that it isn’t going to be another fantasy world, but in fact one with guns in. And not rayguns, but normal automatic pistols. The Projektors say that it is “a vast RPG for which we want to assemble the best possible staff. It represents an opportunity for you to create a grand new project from the ground up!”

Crikey! I’m hoping it will be a Noir RPG in which the gangsters are secretly supernatural lizard-men. Failing that, I’d quite like an RPG set aboard a haunted runaway train. Anyone else want to make impossible requests? Speak now!

, .

1. CaspianRoach says:

BioWare’s outsorcing Mass Effect 4 to Poland, you heard it here first.

• Brun says:

This would be awesome…

• Orija says:

Or even better, CDPR making it’s own sci-fi rpg.

• Navagon says:

After the mess* Bioware have made of Mass Effect I have to agree that would be a far better option. Not least of all because CDPR seem to have better writers. Whether or not they could create a new universe from scratch though remains to be seen.

* No I’m not just talking about the ‘colourful’ endings. I’m talking about the total absence of continuity between ME1 and 2.

• BockoPower says:

Never give an eastern european country (Poland may be in the heart of Europe but it is still a Slavic nation) to make any kind of Sci-Fi. Beleave me, it will be a crap. Or if you can tell me of something good Sci-Fi movie, game or book that came from ex-USSR county I take my words back.

• Creeping Death says:

Metro 2033? Book or game, take you pick

• Kusz says:

Stanislaw Lem – Solaris

• wolfsson says:

From Poland? Solaris? The Cyberiad? The Lunar Trilogy? etc…

• stillwater says:

Stalker (book, stunning Tarkovsky film, games)

Thanks for demonstrating yet again that racism and stupidity are intertwined.

• jaxlewis says:

A Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky (turned into Stalker by Tarkovski), Solaris (Tarkovski again) those are two of the best sci-fi films ever made. You sir are either trolling or don’t know the first thing about sci-fi. Moron

Edit: beaten to it

• Nyobshtayn says:

Also, isn’t Poland automatically exempt from your last-sentence challenge as it was never part of the USSR?

• Premium User Badge Oozo says:

Guys, he’s trolling. (I hope.) But if it helps assembling a list of books and movies and games people should pay attention to, why not? I’ll add Viktor Pelevin to the list.

• kud13 says:

Boris+Arkadi Strugatsky-”It’s Hard to be a God”,
            Kir Bulychev–the Alisa trilogy of books (more YA sci-fi, but very good)
            Yefremov’s “Heart of the Snake”

those were the classics, off the top of my head.
            Also, Yevgeniy Veltisov’s “Electronic” books and the TV series made based on the books.

just because so little stuff is translated from Russian (and publishers tend to be idiots when they do–I noticed “the Scar” by Marina + Sergey Dyachenko in a bookstore the other day, and facepalmed, since on my bookshelf I have the entire “Wanderers” sequence in a single volume,a nd “The Scar” is the SECOND book in it it), doesn’t mean there’s nothing good there.

• vodka and cookies says:

If only that were true, I’m sure many of us are pretty burned out with fantasy RPG settings which a lot of games are leaning on that kind of universe at the moment and sci-fi RPG’s are nowhere near as common (post apocalyse dont count).

With Mass Effect over CD Projekt could have used that opening to announce something & take up the mantle as the sci-fi RPG.

2. byteCrunch says:

World War 2: The RPG, roll for supression fire.
    A wild Nazi appears.

• Trent Hawkins says:

oh man, I would play the hell out of that.
      PikaJew, I choose you!

• yoansug says:

You’ve succeeded in making the world a tiny bit more crap for other people. Good job you cunning stunt.http://sixense.com/forum/vbulletin/showthread.php?3912-Portal-2-community-Hydra-maps

• adonf says:

Oh come on! This spambot madness has got to stop, where’s a Report button when you need one?

edit: Alternatively, don’t allow href tags when the plain text is a URL that doesn’t match the link. http://example

• roryok says:

I was about to say that. I’ve always wanted to see a WW2 RPG. Something where you get to actually define the character you play. Something where you can fight the nazis, or desert, go off and marry a french peasant girl, become a member of the resistance etc. OR try to avoid the war entirely. If you choose to fight, the quest thread you follow could be determined by your bravery / success in battle.

3. CaspianRoach says:

Call of Duty XI: The RPG.

4. mentor07825 says:

Fox News decides to out source production of a Firefly game to Poland, you heard it here first.

5. Meat Circus says:

I think it’ll be about a postal ombudsman with a secret sexual attraction to ferrets coming to terms with his destiny as the man who will accidentally reboot the Universe.

The combat system will be based around banjoleles and toothpicks.

• LionsPhil says:

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to contribute to your Kickstarter.

• DiamondDog says:

Oh how original, another game where you play as an ombudsman. What’s the main character called, Mr. Trope?

6. Juxtapox says:

Oh my. I already love CDProjekt, how can they cope with all my love I’m going to give them?

7. CaspianRoach says:

Bethesda’s giving the Fallout 4 to CDP!

8. Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

Maybe this game will finally answer: Who Witches the Witchmen?

9. jimmm25 says:

RPS: The RPG

10. CaspianRoach says:

The Gun: You play as a service weapon for a policeman in a small town. Gameplay consists from constantly cleaning yourself, smashing the bullets when the trigger is pressed and holding in the ammo. The cleaner you shoot the more chances are for random loot upgrades which your owner will install into you as a reward for remarkable service. GOTY material right here.

11. Lobotomist says:

Well I would love to see them making real Sci-Fi Opera RPG. Like Mass Effect (but good)
    And original franchise too. I dont want to see more recycled storyes ;)

12. Archangel says:

Dear CDPR: Please make an RPG In A Brand New Setting even 10% as good as your current RPG In A Dark Fantasy World and you will have have our moneys. You’re doing the Lord’s work over there, gents.

• sinister agent says:

A billion times, this. If its setting is anything other than generic space waffles or default fantasy imagination graveyard, I might have to buy it on principle, just because goddamn it do I really have to say why?

13. Premium User Badge ffordesoon says:

To be honest, I’d be happy if it was just their answer to Mass Effect. It’s so frustrating seeing nobody else even try to do a good Space RPG. I’d love to see a Witcher-style answer to Bioware’s implicit challenge.

14. Premium User Badge Bluerps says:

I think it’s obvious: It’s a game about anthropomorphized guns, called gunmans. Combat involves shooting enemies with yourself and the plot centers on the constant war that is waged in the world, and on the question if it should be ended – thus leading to peace, but also possibly to the end of gunmanity.

15. CaspianRoach says:

Cover-based nerf gun championship. Upgrades include muscle strength for faster pressure buildup, different kinds of water and custom barrels/tanks. Persuasion checks would allow you to fool your opponents to go out of cover.

16. Premium User Badge Stense says:

The Witchers weren’t really my cup of tea, but I did appreciate that they were extremely well made and it was nice to see a fantasy setting away from the Tolkienesque ripoffs. So the idea of a new rpg from these guys does sound nice.

Hopefully it will centre around a cabal of morally ambiguous duck oligarchs that secretly rule the world, and you’re their hench-duck that does their dirty work.

17. DestructibleEnvironments says:

RPG elements with breasts: The game (Enhanced for your pleasure).

• Soon says:

In a setting inspired by the work of René Laloux.

• Premium User Badge Jackablade says:

I’d pay for a pretty sizable chunk of the Kickstarter for a Fantastic Planet RPG.

18. McDan says:

An RTS FPS RPG. Upsets everyone at the same tiime.

19. Paul says:

I think by now, every RPG company should just give all their franchises to CDP and be done with it.

20. AMonkey says:

I’m incredibly excitement for what other RPGs CDProjektRed could make.

21. sinister agent says:

RPG set in a very large out-of-town shopping centre and its surrounding area. Shelve! Endless boxes of goods. Attack! The weekend staff, revelling in what little grain of authority you can muster. Sneak! Whisky into your lunchbreak. Watch! Your dreams slowly give way under the crushing grey brick that is modern reality.

£19.99.

• Premium User Badge Harlander says:

Call of Aldi!

And in the sequel, you get to work for the shopping centre for free while the company gets paid for allowing you the privilege.

Call of Aldi 2: Modern Workfare

• sinister agent says:

This could make us a fortune. Pre-order now, and in six months we’ll think about maybe offering you a chance to have the game! Probably not though.

22. Premium User Badge Mungrul says:

An Alpha Protocol spiritual successor?

• Jimbo says:

This was my first thought / hope.

Lizard Gangster Alpha Protocol would be GOTY, all years.

• eclipse mattaru says:

Sounds good to me. But in the name of all that’s good and pure, I hope they get rid of all those retarded anime-inspired characters.

23. Orija says:

It’s a pity their games don’t sell despite being such gems. As per a Forbes article the company only made about 19 million dollars off game sales (Witcher 1 and 2, I’d think) in 2011.

24. Wizardry says:

Well, as CD Projekt has yet to make a CRPG I don’t think this mysterious project is going to change things.

Look forward to a shooter with dialogue trees.

• Paul says:

Oh you. Have a cookie.

• sinister agent says:

He can’t. His character doesn’t have a high enough cookie-eating skill, as he spent all his points on the repetition skill.

(I hate smileys, so SMILEY FACE. I don’t mean any harm, Wizardry).

• Unaco says:

They have made RPGs though, for the Personal Computer… and even for the XBox 360 now. They’re called The Witcher, and The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. You should check them out.

• Premium User Badge Durkonkell says:

For the love of Horace (may he refrain from devouring us), please give this subject a break, Wizardry. I get that you don’t like modern RPGs, and that the RPGs you do enjoy aren’t really made any more. That’s unfortunate and your perspective on this matter is entirely valid. On the other hand, the developers call this type of game an RPG, the players call it an RPG and the press call it an RPG. It’s an RPG. It’s not the same as the RPGs you prefer, but it IS an RPG – the meaning of that term has shifted.

Additionally, everyone in the world now knows your opinion on this subject. It’s entirely possible that people living on other worlds are aware of it! Please continue to share your opinions with us, but not this one. We know! You’ve told us already. Repeatedly.

• Grargh says:

Since I first began to read this site, Wizardry’s preachings about cRPGs have been a constant and integral part of it. If that should somehow end, RPS would never be the same.

• AlwaysRight says:

I agree wholeheartedly with Durkonkell. I’m sick of it.

• Scandalon says:

Congratulations wizardry, you’ve won. After this I will block you, meaning when I read RPS I will now have to log in just so I don’t waste any more time reading your crap. (You maybe, possibly had some points worth considering buried in there somewhere once, but I’m not going to eat the crap sandwich in case there might be a morsel of food in there…)

• TariqOne says:

Wizardry can get kinda irritating, but on this score he’s kinda right. I’ve never quite understood the rush to praise The Witcher games as some massive step forward in CRPGs. Can’t create your character, can’t choose any meaningfully unique class, click-and-dodge combat (though visceral and fun), and a fairly scripted and cutscene-heavy affair at core.

It gets lauded for its choices, and its writing (which I find clunky at times, and which can be awfully ponderous), but on a mechanical level it seems like the series takes the RPG genre back several steps if anything.

Here’s a challenge, CDP: try to make the next one a game where you can be a female protagonist, or really have any meaningful say in character design. Baby steps.

• Wizardry says:

You’re forgetting that The Witcher is all about role-playing Geralt of Rivia, just like Half-Life is all about role-playing Gordon Freeman.

;)

• nmute says:

that’s a pretty apt comparison, actually. i for one think it bears repeating. as long as there is a constant cock-eyed adulation of the series, so too should there be a contrarian thread.

also

can i get a conspiratorial wink too?

25. Freud says:

Lizards make excellent thugs because they are cold blooded.

• DestructibleEnvironments says:

• Scandalon says:

They’re also great at slipping away from people following them, seeing as how they easily lose their tails.

I’ll get my coat.

26. Ephaelon says:

Sopranos (where the ‘r’ is a gun)

Guns, plenty of story, treason, racism, prejudice, the objectification of women and lots of random fucking.

• Premium User Badge Jackablade says:

…set against the in the dark and gritty background of a Mennonite church choir.

27. Roquefort says:

CDP is going to pick up STALKER. I’m calling it.

• Maldomel says:

I wish you were right…

• Navagon says:

Now THAT would be something.

• El_Emmental says:

You play as a weapon smuggler in the Zone, progressively growing a thick skin made out of plates resembling reptilian scales as you’re exposed to radiation.

The people who stayed in the Zone for too long are called “Lizards”, as these plates are now covering most of their body, and they’re no longer behaving like humans.

You will have to deal with the local gangs, militia, soldiers, paratroopers, intelligence agencies, and mutants, delivering/buying/selling/negotiating/corrupting/fighting/assassinating, while radiation storms and anomalies will often interfere with your plans.

Starting in an impoverished suburb with a high crime rate 200km from the Zone, you’re beginning your career of gangster as a simple lookout man, your neighbor being in charge of transporting weapons from the army storages (whose guards are corrupted) to various towns in the region.

A few weeks after working for him, loading up crates in the trucks late at night, he tells you he needs someone he can trust for a special job, hinting at a possible induction into the Family if the plan goes well.

Becoming a made man would mean the end of your life of poverty ! You’re suddenly driving a truck through several military checkpoints while a heavy rain keep pouring on the windshield. The falsified authorizations he bought from an officer are perfectly working, however something is wrong. As you see more and more signs with the “☢” symbol on it, there is less and less soldiers in the area.

What you thought would be your ticket outside your miserable life, will become your sarcophagus, unless you find a way out of the Zone – if you still want to leave it, that is.

• eclipse mattaru says:

I’ll throw monies at you right now if you can make them do something like that.

28. Choca says:

Definitely rolling a Pogona Vitticeps when this hit retail.

29. Shooop says:

What level will you have to be minimum to successfully car-bomb Danny Greene?

30. Jason Moyer says:

I just went from never thinking about prohibition as an RPG setting to wanting a gangster RPG right this very minute.

31. Maldomel says:

The “vast” word makes me think about multiplayer, possibly mmo. And there, I prefer to think about gangster lizardmen.

32. Iskariot says:

CD project would be my first choice for an open world vampire action rpg.
    And as nobody is making such a game success would be guaranteed.
    All the vampire lovers are waiting for a game like that, 8 years after the magnificent Bloodlines.

• Max.I.Candy says:

CD project would be my first choice for an open world vampire action rpg.

me too!

33. jussipe says:

Mafia-styled rpg! Spend talent points to pasta cooking and sleeping in an uncomfortable mattresses.

34. Grargh says:

A more intuitive setting for gun-wielding lizard-men would obviously be “The Elder Scrolls 40k – Black Marsh”.

• Shooop says:

Now that you’ve said it outloud, it will be created by modders.

35. Premium User Badge ffordesoon says:

How about an espionage RPG? Since, you know, we’ve had precisely one I can think of, and that game will probably not be getting a sequel anytime soon, and was also sort of, you know, objectively not that great.

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

But of course! It was only the best cRPG ever written.

• Premium User Badge ffordesoon says:

I kind of agree with that statement, actually, although I wouldn’t go that far. But speaking objectively, it’s pretty broken in a lot of fundamental ways. I liked it more than Mass Effect 1, but it’s pretty tough to recommend to people who can’t put up with some busted mechanics.

36. pilouuuu says:

I’m hoping it’s an RPG set in the present time and it shows a detective investigating people mysteriously disappearing and then discovering he’s in fact living in a simulated set, just like in the Truman show and that he’s actually in Mars in the year 2112. He then must find out about an intergalatic conspirancy that erased his memory and involves aliens trying to take over Earth.

• Hematite says:

You’re right, I don’t know why there aren’t more Philip K Dick game adaptations!

• pilouuuu says:

I want some games that are not so encapsuled in a genre. Games that are able to surprise and show a familiar set in new ways.

37. Rv says:

Dark Tower series?

38. Iskariot says:

My worst fear would be another MMO.

39. The Random One says:

People said I should buy Witcher 2 because CDProjekt respects their customers, and I wanted to, but I hate medieval fantasy so so so much. So this is great news for me.

Also, when you tell RPS to wildly speculate, they take it to heart.

• eclipse mattaru says:

You can’t possibly hate medieval fantasy as much as I do, believe me (I couldn’t even stand the Dragon Ages for more than 10 minutes), but The Witcher 2 is still worth playing. For one thing, the story is very very dark and clever, it’s full of political intrigues and greyish morals and shady characters and whatnot, with the classic themes of fantasy rather cleverly intertwined in real habits and customs; so storywise it’s rather unlike anything in the genre.

Plus, whenever you have to make a decision, they give you actually believable, solid, more often than not equally convincing options, which makes every choice an unusually tough call –quite a departure from the classic good/evil moral choices of every game and their mother.

Also, I put this one up there with the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series as part of a rare breed of modern games that don’t shy away from being relentlessly punishing, giving you the kind of challenge you just don’t see anymore; which makes every victory a very fulfilling experience.