Tomb Raider Jumps, Misses, Slips Into 2013

By John Walker on May 14th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

It's not quite within her reach. LIKE THIS GAME! AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Obviously by now, everyone is applying what I assume is known as the Walker Principle, which states whatever first release date is given for a major game is to be ignored. So no one will be in the least surprised, let alone disappointed, to learn that Tomb Raider now won’t be with us until 2013.

The original date had set it some time this Autumn, which was certainly ambiguous enough. But they’ve added half a year onto that, now looking at Spring 2013 to unleash Lara’s reboot as a gritty, grumpy younger hero, trapped on an island and allowed to wander in whichever direction she so chooses.

The news comes via the Tomb Raider dev blog, in which Crystal Dynamics bossman Darrell Gallagher explains, as is always the case, that the delay is so they can ensure it’s “the best game of our careers”. Using what I believe is called the “Levine Delay Technique”, he goes on to explain that it’s because of us, because of their unquenchable love for us, that they have overrun.

“We’re doing things that are completely new to Tomb Raider in this game and the additional development time will allow us to put the finishing touches into the game and polish it to a level that you deserve.”

So yes, of course, we’re all used to release date slips and games having fixed themselves overly ambitious development periods. We’re also used to developers realising they’ve gone in the wrong direction, and need time to amend. It’s good news that Square Enix are letting that happen. But, here’s my thought, eh: Maybe stop saying when games are going to come out when you don’t know?

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. f1x says:

Well, okey take your time to finish it!

“Things that are completely new to tomb raider”, like for example boobs smaller than my head for once

Nah, but I have good feelings about this reboot

2. Jimbo says:

She’s such a QTE.

3. stahlwerk says:

I bet it’s delayed because of CONSOLE GENERATION NUMBER FOUR.

• John Walker says:

Since those won’t be worrying us until Christmas 2013, I doubt it very much.

• stahlwerk says:

I was thinking more of availability and stability of SDKs and target specs. Finalize the fidelity settings when they know where to aim for “next next gen” and being able to release a HD/GOTY edition in Christmas 2013.

But yeah, it’s probably just a matter of it not being finished this year.

• Hoaxfish says:

perhaps they”ll innovate by upgrading to chest-high walls

4. Alien426 says:

Ahem, Tomb Raider is out since 1996! You may be referring to Tomb Raider 10, though. #rebootssuck

• Ahtaps says:

Did you mean:
      Tomb Raider (1996 Video Game)
      Tomb Raider (2000 GBC game)
      Tomb Raider (2013 Reboot)
      Tomb Raider (Movie)
      Tomb Raider (Profession. Also see “Grave Robber”)
      Tomb Raider (Comic series)

#franchisessuck

5. Palindrome says:

Tomb Raider? meh

Why does that corpse have his hands in is pockets?

6. felisc says:

Is this the only screenshot released so far?, as its the one ive seen on a couple of other sites… Quite the ugly screenshot. (Yes i defy the rules of punctuation !,)

7. PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

Stupid delay means its Bioshock Infinite vs Tomb Raider Reboot Q1 2013 vying for the same ltd gamers funds……

They are taking far too long I mean how hard can it be to match the 360 2xDLC episodes quality (which were both excellent & obviously ripped out of the finished game). This uses the same game engine all they have to do is create the content its been almost 4 years now in the making usually not a good sign as CD fired the last director after underworld bombed (IMO due to Eidos ripping out the 2 best episodes & making them 360 exclusive DLC which was a dumb move & hurt sales as the retail game lacked a little depth due to the content being ripped out!!).

• Diziet Sma says:

Sir please step away from the keyboard slowly, and keep those fingers where I can see em.

• StingingVelvet says:

More than one game in 3 months? Oh no!

8. Moni says:

Was there a hilariously gruesome sound of breaking bones when she fell? I’ve always found that to be the most satisfying part of the Tomb Raider games.

• f1x says:

Yep, I remember playing Tomb Raider : Underworld, almost felt bad when I missed a jump…
      dat sound

• Grargh says:

Judging from those heels, you might get your bone-crunching sound even if the jump goes just as planned.

9. Tony M says:

I sometimes wonder if, when a game gets an excited reception to the early press (as happened with the Lara reboot announcement), it allows the developers to go back to the publisher and say “see people are excited. This is going to be big. Give us more money and more time”. Hence the delay. (not a complaint).

10. Suits says:

And the list for 2012 keeps decreasing

11. WJonathan says:

I totally understand. It’s the same reason women refuse to go out with me. They simply have too much respect for me as a friend to date me. So I take this delay as a compliment.

12. particlese says:

When I first saw this screenshot, I thought she was lobbing a grenade shaped like a person stuck in a pencil-dive pose over to the waterfall in the background. I should probably wake up before reading the news…

13. karthink says:

The Walker Principle? Pfft, Hofstadter has it covered.

Hofstadter’s Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter’s Law.

14. Rikard Peterson says:

“Maybe stop saying when games are going to come out when you don’t know?”

That sounds like a good idea. Except that the famous release date of “when it’s done” didn’t work out that great either. Maybe developers need a release date to help them keep focus?

15. Vinraith says:

Personally I’d really love to see CD make a new game along the lines of “Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.” Playing through that game in co-op was vastly more fun that I’ve had with any Tomb Raider game in over a decade.

16. Dances to Podcasts says:

…unless it’s Half-Life 3. Then we NEED TO KNOW!!!