Hey You: Play Games With RPS Readers!

By Jim Rossignol on May 15th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

Sitting alone in a silent room can be a lonely experience, but you know that there’s always the magic of videogames to brighten things up. Sometimes people can get in your videogames, too, and they make it even more interesting with their ideas and their creative swearing. But for the most interesting ideas and the politest swears, look no further than the the RPS Community. Look, right here there are threads on the forum organising Diablo III play, battles in Wargame: European Escalation, and even some survivalism in Day Z. There are lots more sub-communities in there, too. Take some time to introduce yourself, and get involved. I’m involved right now. The experience has made me especially healthy, and even more handsome. It’s true.

__________________

« | »

1. Dr I am a Doctor says:

i cant im bad at videogames

2. Unaco says:

For those who may have picked up ArmA2 Combined Operations with all of the DayZ interest currently going on, and fancy getting introduced to the game itself, RPS has quite an extensive ArmA2/OA gaming community, by the name of ARPS. We run one definite weekly session (and have an open invite to a 2nd weekly session, run in much the same manner, but by a separate group, FOLK)… and that weekly session is a Tuesday. Tonight infact! Tactical Tuesday! We kick off around 7:30pm British Time, and you only need Combined Operations and Mumble to play with us… no mods required, no competence required, no skills needed. We have some organisation, but we try to be ‘low friction’ gaming.

Check out the ArmA2 Sub-Forum or come hang out in the RPS Steam Group chat room if you want to know more.

• westyfield says:

When exams are done (only two weeks to go!), I’ll be there. Oh, I’ll be there all right.

• airtekh says:

Stupid Question Time!

I bought vanilla Arma 2 ages ago but I don’t have Operation Arrowhead, this prevents me from participating in RPS events yes?

I assume this also means I can’t play Day Z either?

• Highstorm says:

Man, having just bought CO, I would love to get in on this. Alas, I am GMT -8, way over here on the US West coast and that puts this smack dab in the middle of the work day.

3. Fumarole says:

Don’t forget the ongoing Frozen Synapse leagues.

4. Fozzie_bear says:

I’ve never really played multiplayer pc games. The ‘community’ always seems a little on the excitable side. And I’m shit at everything, which doesn’t help.

Might well dive in here if you promise to be gentle though.

• f1x says:

Excitable? WHAT DO YOU MEAN EXCITABLE!??? OMGZ YOU NOOB ยท$%&

argh, sorry forgot my Diazepam

• Vorphalack says:

I’d recommend Tribes if you want a decently behaved multiplayer experience. I’ve encountered 1 raging nerd after 200 pub game wins, which is probably the best ratio of wins : raging nerds on the internet. I think it’s the VGS system that stops people going batshit crazy at each other, spamming ”Shazbot!” is much easier than actually stopping to type swearwords. Tribes does need a decent level of skill to feel rewarding though, so it’s up to you how much time you want to sink into it. I think the RPS server was called Rock Paper Shazbot on the Netherlands region.

5. NathanH says:

Anyone fancy playing some sort of Duels of the Planeswalkers tournament?

6. caddyB says:

Succession fort? Hmm.

7. Milky1985 says:

I’m perfectly fine with my own creative swearing thanks very much

You bunch of *&#@*&@ *@#’*&8′; :@*&@:*& people

Yeah you heard me!

8. deadly.by.design says:

I just got into Tribes: Ascend. There appears to be an RPS server, but so far, I haven’t done more than post in the respective thread. That UK/American time diff, plus still adjusting to newly married life.

Also, I’m waiting for an ARMA II sale before trying Day Z. $30 is a bit much to spend on a mod I may or may not like. (and may or may not be buggy)

9. Lobotomist says:

Put me down for Diablo III

10. DestructibleEnvironments says:

I do not enjoy people. So I’ll just be over here talking to myself (Yes my precious, yes we will).

11. mentor07825 says:

Wargame could always use more people to play with :)

12. Joshua Northey says:

I have always been confused as to why someone would want to play Diablo in a group? I don’t understand what it would add to the experience. Maybe I would find playing with my wife fun if she was into it, but if I can get another friend to play with me I would rather just play something PvP for some really strategy/difficulty.

• yutt says:

And I’ve never understood why anyone would play anything alone.

What does coop add? More people! Shared experiences – the only thing that gives any of the vast amounts of media we are consuming any value at all. I’m certainly not going to find any deep insight about life or myself playing Diablo 3, so I might as well bond with my friends and build further upon our interactions.

Regardless of the quality of the game, we will have our own stories and experiences. Recently some friends and I played through the coop campaign for Darkness 2 (an absolutely atrocious game), and it was a blast. Not because the game was great, or even good… or even playable, but because my friends are awesome.

13. Zanchito says:

I’ve always disliked multiplayer because I’m not the competitive kind (unless it’s face to face and it involves bladed weapons), and people are dicks, and on the internet they are even BIGGER dicks. This said, I long for some good co-op chaps for Guild Wars, Terraria, Minecraft, Torchlight 2, LoL, etc. I’m full of contradictions!

14. sinister agent says:

Hang on. You people play videogames?

What the hell?

15. Ernesto says:

If only I could run these games on my actually not so crappy, but just too old notebook :( Argh!

16. deanimate says:

I do hope some of you are still playing the ever tactical Solium Infernum

17. Maldomel says:

One day, I will get a new, shiny, powerful computer to play games with the RPS community.
    In the meantime, I’ll stay alone in my room mumbling to myself.

18. Ephaelon says:

Anyone in or about the region of Southeast Asia (I’m in the Philippines)? Curious to know what other games, if any, have servers located here. So far, I’ve found a few for TF2 and I’m sure there are some for CS but I’m not a big fan.

Battlefield 3 plays fine for me even if I join west-coast US servers so that ain’t an issue (also, there are plenty of Singapore/Japan servers which give me a nice and low ping).

Waiting to get my hands on Diablo3 (boo! hiss!) and at the moment just playing the Starter version. My battle.net account is set to Europe and I can’t seem to switch to other regions (possible limitation of the starter version?). When I’m able, I’ll check the pings and see whether Asia or the Americas (the Southeast Asia default region) give me a better result. Averaging 450-500ms while connected to europe is playable, but not ideal.

19. Heliocentric says:

That’s right guys, no-one mention the healthy and flowing Bloodbowl leagues.

Divisions-of-Death!
    It’s 4 team divisions with promitions to tougher leagues as a reward(/punishment?) for doing well.

The Gauntlin Goblet!
    It’s 4 player groups again, but stunty(goblin, halflings and snotlings) teams only.

The RPS Open
    Its a free for all with personally arranged matches, but you need to face everyone eventually!

All of those leagues use the “Legendary” edition of Cyanides 3D rendered Bloodbowl game, but there is also a free to play browser based FUMBBL league.

• El_Emmental says:

Bloodbowl is that kind of game so awesome in multiplayer with people you know (community, or e-friends, or friends), that I’m afraid I won’t have the time+motivation to get involved enough to organize such sessions, and I’ll find the game rather boring because I’ll play it alone.

20. RockPaperCow says:

Sadly, it seems no one is interested in playing Crusader Kings 2.

21. jellydonut says:

I went to RPS’s in-game EVE channel, but it turned out to be populated by dicks.

Comment on this story