SWTOR Free Weekend Coming Up!

By Jim Rossignol on May 16th, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

Bioware send word that they’re having another free-to-party party this weekend. It’s taking place from Thursday, May 17th at 12:01AM CDT / 5:01AM GMT, and ends on Monday, May 21st at 2:00AM CDT / 7:00AM GMT. The usual limits apply: Level 15 cap, but you can freely play PvP zones. Only people (or email addresses?) that have not played the game previously will be able to participate in this free weekend.

Assuming you’re not busy, of course. You’re probably busy. That’s fine too.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Daniel Klein says:

The main problem here is that this isn’t Diablo 3.

• Zeewolf says:

Heh, yeah. The timing is terrible.

• RaytraceRat says:

the main problem is that SWTOR gets boring very quickly

• Makariel says:

I have yet to find a MMO that doesn’t get boring quickly.

• RaytraceRat says:

Thats a good point. I was able to play WoW for about a year before being bored out of my mind. It took SWTOR about a month to bore me.
          The story may be nice, but you can’t really enjoy it because every time you want to get to another part of the story you need to do typical MMO grinding. It’s especially weird for class like Jedi Councelor “now go peaceful Jedi, kill 20 of those creatures before we may proceed”

2. tehsorrow says:

Free-to-party? You mean I don’t have to fight for my right to party?

3. Nighthood says:

Not dying at all. Nope. Definitely not. Completely healthy. It’s normal to do free weekends and free months less than 6 months after release. Absolutely nothing wrong.

4. nunofgs says:

Make it free-to-play and maybe I’ll give it a shot.

• f1x says:

As much as I dislike F2P it would be the best solution for this,

put some shop system on it with speeders, spaceships and companions and they would even make some profit

• adonf says:

How many EA points for a Death Star ?

• f1x says:

Exactly, EA’s dream made true and players (the ones they still have) would kill for it

• iteyoidar says:

I don’t play this game, but I would pay like, $20 (or 15,00 EAbucks) for a personal Death Star, assuming the game was free

• Maxheadroom says:

Or even having a reasonably priced (say £10) game client and I might give it a go for the first 30 days. £40 – £45 for an mmo client on top of a monthly fee has been the turn off from the start for me.
      These free weekends are no substitute for a free trial either “sure you can try our game, but only in this 48 hour window” no ta

Don’t mean to sound like a cheapskate but my shelf is packed with mmos that never saw a 2nd month, from neocron to Conan, anarchy online to ultima online. £45 is too much of a punt

• Stromko says:

15 levels isn’t enough to convince most people to part with 40$, that’s their problem. If you could just sign up for a subscription and play the whole game, these trial periods would be a lot more successful, but they have to pretend for awhile longer that a box / download is worth money or some of those people that paid for those boxes and bits are going to be upset.

• jrodman says:

On the contrary, the free weekend told me that I enjoyed but had little motivation to spend boatloads of time with it all at once. 15 dollars a month at that level of engagement is just too much. I’d play it maybe 1 weekend a month at 5 dollars, with no outlay.

5. drumcodes says:

Aha, thanks for the reminder to unsub. Haven’t played this game in two weeks.

6. ChainsawCharlie says:

Kind of want to try this, but don’t want to get into their when spam list when I don’t fully subscribe.

7. pbrand says:

No thanks, Bioware.

8. Morlock says:

Day Z is my new master.

9. Jimbo says:

Loads of room on our servers, guys! Guys…? :(

10. Love Albatross says:

Oh dear. This one is definitely nailed to the perch.

ChainsawCharlie: if you’ve got Gmail you could just use an email alias to avoid their spam.

11. Vorphalack says:

It still bugs me that they advertise SWtOR with texture resolutions that you cannot enable in game.

12. wodin says:

No thanks. I’d think about downloading it if it was F2P but only think most likely, let alone pay subscription.

13. Ateius says:

Oh, gosh, TOR, I’m flattered, really, but I have to, er … wash my hair this weekend. All the best, though!

14. BrightCandle says:

I left the game because of all the technical problems, there was no way I was going to pay them a months sub while they failed to allow me to download and update my files. Honestly they might do better offering a free weekend to those that left so we can check if finishing “our stories” is achievable now.

15. nrvsNRG says:

one of the reasons i didnt like it so much was because the armours looked so boring and plain (but main reason was because i finished my story on my marauder and tested out all the others and just got bored)

16. thematrix606 says:

Had pre-ordered it.

Generic MMO. (With a lot more crap between fighting)

PASS.

Mkay.

17. jezcentral says:

Well, I like it, and I’m having a great time with it. *glares defensively around*

• Rhin says:

You’re only allowed to dislike games here at RPS. A man will be around shortly to collect your badge.

• ananachaphobiac says:

What is this ‘like’ word of which you speak?

• Phantoon says:

Sir, you are in the minority. And I will besmirch you anywhere that you have the unwashed masses behind you, but because that is no longer this place, you are free to go.

• RaytraceRat says:

Enjoy? A game? That’s unheard of!

18. aliksy says:

Ew, SWTOR. A so-so bioware rpg grafted onto an uninspired WoW clone. I’d play it for free, maybe, but it doesn’t have a chance next to GW2 and to a lesser extent diablo3.

It’s really disappointing how they squandered their huge budget. They could have made something new and exciting.

• Ignorant Texan says:

They could have made many new and exciting games with that budget. However, considering the involvement of LucasArts and BioWare/Mythic, along with EA share holders’ expectations, it was always destined to be “A so-so bioware rpg grafted onto an uninspired WoW clone.”

The only real surprise is how bad the PvP is, considering the involvement of whatever is left of Mythic .

• oceanview says:

suits never learn

• Malk_Content says:

Problem is some of the lead guys over at Mythic moved to GW2, which is probably why the PvP (arena and open world) is looking so tasty. I really hope it is (was going to try SWTOR for PvP but after reading about it decided to give it a miss) as I haven’t had as much fun in PvP before or after WaR.

• Phantoon says:

It should’ve been a lot more like Star Wars Galaxies, rather than a WoW clone.

• Shodex says:

SWG did well at first, then it became a Star Wars themed WoW-clone and completely tanks. I want to know who’s bright idea it was to dump tons of money into making a new Star Wars themed WoW-clone.

19. Shodex says:

SWTOR isn’t bad, it’s so-so. So-so games don’t die this quick, bad games die this quick. The only reason SWTOR is dying so quick is that nasty feeling you get in the back of your throat every time you play an EA game. When will companies learn?